5th Gen Frankenviffer

redmarque

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just amazing to see your concept brought to life - it looks sensational, I'd find it hard to cover it in bodywork!

Everyone from Alan Cathcart to Paul at The Kneeslider will be lining up to check this baby out :dry:

Congratulations on bringing it from paper to this!

• Member Contributer
Nice!

How's she turning?

How is comfort?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Ok so what’s it like to ride?

Beer in mind that test speed is up to 30mph on a bumpy rural lane with no corners

First impressions

Good, steering is very light and minor direction changes feel easy. Much more responsive than my 5th Gen VFR in fact it’s more like ZX6R

There’s no noticeable flex in the steering linkage system

Reach to the bars is slightly longer and lower than stock. I had thought that if needed the fuel tank could be shortened or replaced.

Seat height is about 830mm and great for my 6 ft 2in height

Foot pegs are stock position and VFR comfortable. I still plan on making water-jet cut one’s later with adjustable positioning.

Steering lock

Limited to 30 Degree’s from centre due to the suspended steering neck design but. Still better than a Bimota Tesi 3D at 22 Degrees.

Suspension

Rear shock ZX9R is too soft for my 13 stone frame - rear end sags.

Front shock is firm. CBR600f4 unit spring was replaced with a race car item based on the new suspension geometry and load, but over damped for the application as the shock was direct acting on the swingarm, rather than linkage type now.

Brakes –

Appling brakes... Very slight front-end dive and we are talking very slight. It will be interesting to see what braking is like from high speeds and into corners.

Brakes work ok but still have sponginess at the lever; stock vfr 5gen master cylinder was used. Early R1 4pot calipers seem really good, first step re-bleed system after some use.

Probably source replacement with a radial master from a late cbr1000rr?

• Member Contributer

Pleased you liked video :ph34r:

Few more bits that i've been working on.

Exhaust hanger made from 6mm 6061 Aluminium sheet. chain drilled and finished by hand.

Home made rear brake pedal in steel as my ali welding just isn't there yet!

Fireblade rearpegs used as fronts.

Banjo bolt pressure switch for rear brake light.

Still in the pipeline to make the waterjet one's after the bike's gone though it's SVA test.

exhanger.JPG

Bracket to hold front shock gas reservoir.

Note the Yamaha Fazer throttle tube and switchgear with over lever cable routing, gives better clearance for the top wishbone underneath at full bump.

gascan.JPG

Rear brakeline routed though swingarm. 10mm angled holes to aid routing.

Rubber tubing over brakeline to stop wear though.

rearbline1.JPG

Cutdown the stock 5th gen seat even more. lines give an idea to the new cover shape.

newseat.JPG

Still work in progress....

overallview.JPG

I have a 05 Yamaha R6 14mm radial master cylinder arriving this week, hopefully this will sort the front brakes!

Summoning up the courage to start bodywork soon. wish me luck.

Red.

Hey Red, let me know if you need any waterjet toolpaths/CAD work done, I can help you out with that! :ph34r:

Also, have you considered glassing over the back half of the seat(Ducati Monster style), since you don't have passenger pegs?

edit: -Any chance you might move the can up some? Seems a shame to block the wheel!

• Member Contributer
"Paging Mr. Mad Max... Paging Mr. Max... Your bike is ready... Last of the V-4 Interceptors"

Toecutter! where did i put the supercharger and nitrous? :ph34r:

• Member Contributer
Hey Red, let me know if you need any waterjet toolpaths/CAD work done, I can help you out with that! :ph34r:

Also, have you considered glassing over the back half of the seat(Ducati Monster style), since you don't have passenger pegs?

edit: -Any chance you might move the can up some? Seems a shame to block the wheel!

Thanks for the offer seb! My CAD work isn't too shabby, but would be good to have someone who knows what they are doing look over the design and .dwg files!

I'd planned on rear footpegs too. No point going to all this effort if you can't put a cute girl on the back eh? Apparently the SVA test doesn't require rear footpegs for a passenger, but does need handles or a seat strap??

I agree on the exhaust position, needs to be higher or underseat.

You can wrap the rear half with saran wrap after seat has been upholstered, an do a fiberglass layup on that, to make a seat cowl like I did for my F4i years ago:

FIBERGLASSF4iSEATCOWL008.jpg

FIBERGLASSF4iSEATCOWL016.jpg

FIBERGLASSF4iSEATCOWL021.jpg

Can you export .dxf files? That would be best, you can find a link to my email at the bottom left of my profile page! :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

Nice job on the seat cowl Seb! :fing02:

I guess my main worry is to get this 'mad max' special road legal first.

Then do all the nice stuff:

Rearsets

Aluminium sub-frame

Underseat exhaust

i've looked at Toro's Rotrex supercharger kit again too, while beening very very nice there's no way I can afford it. sad.gif

But.. maybe I could buy the crankshaft bolt/plate, belt drive and pulleys. fab the plenum chamber and fit a secondhand Mini cooper S Eaton M45?

they seem to come up on ebay at reasonable money.

Need to buy/build a bike trailer too! Then I can take it for the custom Nitron shocks to be made/setup and onto the track. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

cheers for the tip HS :fing02:

but i've already fitted one of these:

vapor_tachometer_w450.jpg

http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_vapor_kits.html

i'll upload the test ride clip. Bet the playback quality is better on VFRD! :biggrin:

Hey Red, let me know if you need any waterjet toolpaths/CAD work done, I can help you out with that! :biggrin:

Thanks for the offer seb! My CAD work isn't too shabby, but would be good to have someone who knows what they are doing look over the design and .dwg files!

I'd planned on rear footpegs too. No point going to all this effort if you can't put a cute girl on the back eh? Apparently the SVA test doesn't require rear footpegs for a passenger, but does need handles or a seat strap??

I agree on the exhaust position, needs to be higher or underseat.

Red, do you have a friendly place to get the parts cut? I might be able to get them done here in the states and then ship'em over to you, if you find the shop costs too high. Once I have a program drawn up I can tell you exactly how long it will take to cut so you can get estimates.

• Member Contributer
Red, do you have a friendly place to get the parts cut? I might be able to get them done here in the states and then ship'em over to you, if you find the shop costs too high. Once I have a program drawn up I can tell you exactly how long it will take to cut so you can get estimates.

No, not really, guess i'd be paying top dollar here. That would be great Seb! :biggrin: I'll send you what i've done so far. i'd like your opinion on the thickness in some places, especally around the foot rest mounting holes.

• Member Contributer

Maybe I should start a new business... dressmaking? :fing02:

dress.jpg

using calico to work out the seat pattern.

• Member Contributer
Maybe I should start a new business... dressmaking? :musik20:

dressmaking.jpg

using calico to work out the seat pattern.

don't give up your day job..... :fing02:

Guest johnandhis93

Very impressed, Great to see running, been following for a while, when its road legal you will have to run it over to Box Hill and i would love to see it in the flesh.

• Member Contributer
Very impressed, Great to see running, been following for a while, when its road legal you will have to run it over to Box Hill and i would love to see it in the flesh.

Ah, Box Hill a english motorcycle mecca! Been there once before. Are sunday mornings still very busy with bikes?

on another note: I've changed hosting providers in the last 24 hours so some of the pictures aren't working yet - in case you were wondering.

Guest johnandhis93

On a sunny Sunday there can be a few hundred bikes there, love to see the specials. the othe week an old CBX1000 6 with modern suppension and swingarm an an R6 Seat unit painted in a 70s tan colour scheme, looked great.