5th Gen Frankenviffer

redmarque

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Cheers guys,

Of course Seb, it had to be you! - Ever thought of changing your name to "Mr Mod" ?

I like the idea of drilling a small hole in the line end and pulling with fishing wire - was wondering how to get a good grip when line pulling! :goofy:

If you look at my earls brakelines they have clear heatshrink over them, which earl's supply too. Should stop any rubbing on the rear line when going though the holes.

I've had a delivery today! New toy -with lots of uses!

Plastic welding gun!

plasticwelder.jpg

My 98 has a battered upper fairing and indicator mounts after the previous owner dropped the bike on grass at a track day!

Hopefully this will work better than the epoxy holding it together at the moment. - probably do the de-dumbo mod on the indicators too.

I've picked up some 3-4mm black pvc plastic sheets for the bodywork, this should hopefully help making large flatish parts smooth. If anyone's tried making bodywork before, it's really hard to get flat and slightly curved in wood and filler. Also could help to ease the issue of getting both left and right fairing sides the same.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Finally got round to doing something with the bike this week.

Welded on mounts for the coolant bottle and ignition switch

Coolant bottle was found in a pound shop, I guess you guys have dollar shops in the US too?

ignitonsw.JPG

A Sigg bottle! Excellent idea, they weigh next to nothing.

Regarding the rear brakeline through the swingarm - the plastic coating on the Earls line is still not enough to prevent chafing, you really should run the line through grommets at each end. Easy enough and with the bonus of larger holes making installation easier :blush:

• Member Contributer

Yes, it's a very cheap copy of a sigg! It was lacquered green before I stripped the paint off. straps are stainless steel with 1mm rubber pond liner cut to size.

I'll take your suggestion on about the rear line, how about a rubber grommet with a short length of rubber tube though too?

Bike should be ready for a short test ride this week! Glup!

• Member Contributer

Thanks Phantom! that's really apreciated.

I have some of those rubber lined P-clips to hold the brakeline away from the chain and sproket.

I need to shave down the rear side of the cbr600rr caliper too - it currently would hit the wheel spokes! only needs about 5mm off the top corner which won't effect the overall strength much.

• Member Contributer

Happy days!

Rode the bike up the lane yesterday to 20mph. :huh:

Front end feels absolutely fine. Steering lock is 30 degrees so low speed turning arc is bigger than stock, but still i'm very very pleased!

Whole bike feels light including the steering action. It's very strange to look down and watch the front linkage move up and down!

Loads of little bits that still require attention.

Find a stock 5th gen rear brake pedal and mount the cbr600rr rear master cylinder and reservoir.

re-bleed front calipers.

Extend fuel tank and filler cap overflow drain pipes and secure.

Mount the front shock gas cylinder and check for a-arm clearance issues.

Design and fabricate an exhaust hanger plate, may be using 6mm aluminium sheet (open to suggestions here)

Re-cover the seat as it's been trimed even further.

Vaypor speedo needs calibration as the speed sensor uses the wheel circumference to calculate.

Magnet and sensor location are going to require some thought to mount successfully.

Now looking to find a non-public road to perform higher speed testing and especially corners!

I thought about your bike last night while I was reading an article in classic bike magazine about a Leverda endurance racer with a simmilar front end set up and a wacky swing arm arrangement.

1976%20Laverda%20

• Member Contributer
Happy days!

Rode the bike up the lane yesterday to 20mph. :biggrin:

Vaypor speedo needs calibration as the speed sensor uses the wheel circumference to calculate.

Sweet!! It must be a great feeling to know it functions as planned after all that work!

When I calibrate the dyno, I take a tape measure and wrap it around the largest circumference of the tire and divide by Pi. Easiest way to get a super-accurate diameter.

• Member Contributer

It's great motivation to hear positive feedback from you guys! :biggrin:

timmy - That Laverda's something else! trailing link forks - check, supercharger - check! The rear end is even more weird.. looks like it uses parallel arms mounted to the ali back plate? Great way spread the loading?

magellan - "tape measure and wrap it around the largest circumference of the tire and divide by Pi" perfect! will do that much better than rolling bike along with a mark on the tire!

Picked up some 6mm ali sheet to fab the exhaust hanger. I'd better get on...

Red

We need video!!! Even at 20 MPH! :laugh:

Nearly two years in the making. Glad to hear it's working out, so far. :cool:

Oh, and as much as I like the look of old Laverdas, that particular example has fallen from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Then, it was hoisted back up and dropped again! :ohmy:

• Member Contributer
We need video!!! Even at 20 MPH! :laugh:

Nearly two years in the making. Glad to hear it's working out, so far. :cool:

Oh, and as much as I like the look of old Laverdas, that particular example has fallen from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Then, it was hoisted back up and dropped again! :ohmy:

Yes, Yes! i was waiting for that! tomorrow. video tomorrow OK?

Both the Laverda and my bike have 'FUgly' in common :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK Sorry guy's! It wasn't tomorrow... but today!

Was real fun too! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Nice!

How's she turning?

How is comfort?

Inquiring minds want to know.

That is just fantastic. I've been following this thread since the beginning and I can't tell you how impressed I am with your design, vision, and perseverance. Bravo!