Gutted Exhaust -- Don't Know If I Like The Sound -- Now What?

Guest cbennett5199

im also gonna fiddle with some steel wool and push them into the small hole so it will kill any high pitched harmonics if any are present.

mine doesnt really need it,but id like to see if i can get my growl/howl to turn deeper and sweeter.

plus if i dont like it i can take it out,may take some time to fish it out tho if need be.

I wouldn't be looking for any power gains by doing this. Your exhaust is only as good as its biggest restriction, which is more than likely the cat.

if i was looking for power i wouldnt even have bought a vfr,but even still im not doing it for that reason.

im doing it purely for sound.

someone interested in more power should buy a tried and tested $800 set of pipes and replace the header and eliminate the cat like stated above.

i for one like the looks of the stock pipes,and dont need more power but i needed a better sound.

and if i was gonna invest in something for my bike it wouldnt be pipes as i only buy stuff mainly for convience and comfort and safety.

ill never blame or look down on anyone who wants to spend teh money on good cans tho.

i experimented with steel wool today on my gutted and 2" modified pipes.

first i found out is dont test for sound while in a garage or shed,it throws off the sound too much.

i did it in my shed and put 16 pads in until it sounded perfect,and then i rolled it outside and found it killed alot of the sound i loved.

still good and low but almost too quite.

i pulled it all out wich wasnt hard since i have a 2" hole and i used a long thin crow bar with a hook duct taped on the end.

i finally settled on 2 pads in each can all to the end over the smaller 3/4" outlet,the steel wool is the read stuff in this drawing:

exhaust21.jpg

nothing dramatic sounding differance wise,but i didnt want that anyhow.

it stopped most hard "pops" when decellerating and also any high pitched howling during the vtec transition.

the sound is loooow and rumbly and growls better than anything ive heard.

and yes i said i dont care about dyno results on this,but if i did run one id bet $100 it didnt lower any power output.

i know many would be more impressed if they heard it so im still in search of someone who can record and video it and hopefully they have something thats aftermarket or gutted to compare it too side by side.

Keep us updated on the packing, still curious if it will fly out.

when you unravel them they are about 18" long and 1" diameter,so isnt any way for them to come out until they start burning up and need replaced.

if anyones would fly out it would be mine since i only used 2 pads in each can and put them only in one spot.

i am concerned a bit about mine moving around,but even if they do i put them there to absorb the higher harmonic sounds so it doesnt really matter where they move around too.

what i do find odd is the majority of the sound comes out of the smaller 3/4" exit that is stock on the cans,the 2" pipe just has low bass type sound coming out of it.

but if i block the small exits up its too quiet,so baffling the small exits with the wool kills any high harmonics exiting there so the over all package is ver low bass sounding but still loud enough to sound great.

and since noise is an issue id say these are any louder than most aftermarket cans.

Archived