6th Gen - Blue Connector Ground Fix - How To.

• 4 months later...

I had the exact same issue with my VFR. The low beam relay was making a wierd noise, the bike would not keep running without my thumb on the starter switch, and if I used my indicators or high beams it would kill the bike off completely.

Hi Guys, I am hoping this may help some of you who are struggling. I have got a 2003 VFR 800 Vtec (non ABS).

I did something similar to Kanadian Ken, instead of bypassing the earth at the two ends of the connectors, I cut the ground cable (green at the back of the relay) and joined it with the blue block (the left hand part), it got the bike to keep running and everything was working fine from then on.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend come over and check the bike out for me, luckily he knew a lot more about bikes than I do. We took the nose off of the bike (really easy, theres like 4 bolts), we disconnected the front wiring loom, and checked resistance on the loom, it was reading 63.7 ohms!

Within that front loom, there is a yellow terminal block that has about 16 green cables in there, what I had found was that on the terminal block where the main earth cable comes from the main loom, it had burnt. I rang Honda to enquire about any outstanding recalls on the bike, they said there weren't any, guess they lied.

Any how, to resolve the issue, cut all of the cables from the yellow terminal block and solder the cables together, then simply wrap it back up in the loom. The yellow block loops the cables back round to the main loom anyway, as there is a thin metal strip thing the over side, that just terminates the connections, I also noticed that this was quite gunky, it was obvious that the block had got damp, then got hot because there was all s*** over it. Since we did that, the bike is so much more responsive, the lights do not flicker with a twist of the throttle and it starts so much more easily.

• Member Contributer

I had the exact same issue with my VFR. The low beam relay was making a wierd noise, the bike would not keep running without my thumb on the starter switch, and if I used my indicators or high beams it would kill the bike off completely.

Hi Guys, I am hoping this may help some of you who are struggling. I have got a 2003 VFR 800 Vtec (non ABS).

I did something similar to Kanadian Ken, instead of bypassing the earth at the two ends of the connectors, I cut the ground cable (green at the back of the relay) and joined it with the blue block (the left hand part), it got the bike to keep running and everything was working fine from then on.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend come over and check the bike out for me, luckily he knew a lot more about bikes than I do. We took the nose off of the bike (really easy, theres like 4 bolts), we disconnected the front wiring loom, and checked resistance on the loom, it was reading 63.7 ohms!

Within that front loom, there is a yellow terminal block that has about 16 green cables in there, what I had found was that on the terminal block where the main earth cable comes from the main loom, it had burnt. I rang Honda to enquire about any outstanding recalls on the bike, they said there weren't any, guess they lied.

Any how, to resolve the issue, cut all of the cables from the yellow terminal block and solder the cables together, then simply wrap it back up in the loom. The yellow block loops the cables back round to the main loom anyway, as there is a thin metal strip thing the over side, that just terminates the connections, I also noticed that this was quite gunky, it was obvious that the block had got damp, then got hot because there was all s*** over it. Since we did that, the bike is so much more responsive, the lights do not flicker with a twist of the throttle and it starts so much more easily.

Front wiring loom ? Hmmm not sure what your talking about. The one that goes to the gage assembly or the head lights ?

3200C.png

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi All,
I'm in a similar situation right now. I have a 2002 VFR non abs, and this time I decided to visit my local Honda dealer for my yearly inspection. Inspection passed. Then they did a VIN check and discovered that both the wiring harness and the PCV valve recalls had not yet been performed. Parts were ordered so I took the bike home and returned it the next week. The PCV valve checked OK but, per Honda, they replaced the wiring harness. When I picked up the bike, a tech asked me when the low beam lights stopped working. He explained that the low beam lights were not working but the high beams were and said it shouldn't have anything to do with the wiring harness that was replaced. He suspected a faulty switch set which I've ordered and may install myself. I asked to see the old wiring harness and I took some pictures which I've attached here. After reading the recall notice, downloaded from VFRD (thank you!!), I was able to determine that no additional wiring harness replacements were necessary (no scorched connectors). I also inspected the old harness for any possible alterations (blue connector fix) that previous owners of my bike might have performed. There didn't seem to be any alterations.
My questions are, (1) could the new wiring harness and install of the new wiring harness affect the low beam lights and (2) would you suggest I have the dealer install the new switch set or take the chance of doing it myself, having it not fix the low beam problem and risk having the dealer point blame on me for the continued electrical problem, if one still exists.
Thank you in advance,
JRB

Hi All,
I'm in a similar situation right now. I have a 2002 VFR non abs, and this time I decided to visit my local Honda dealer for my yearly inspection. Inspection passed. Then they did a VIN check and discovered that both the wiring harness and the PCV valve recalls had not yet been performed. Parts were ordered so I took the bike home and returned it the next week. The PCV valve checked OK but, per Honda, they replaced the wiring harness. When I picked up the bike, a tech asked me when the low beam lights stopped working. He explained that the low beam lights were not working but the high beams were and said it shouldn't have anything to do with the wiring harness that was replaced. He suspected a faulty switch set which I've ordered and may install myself. I asked to see the old wiring harness and I took some pictures which I've attached here. After reading the recall notice, downloaded from VFRD (thank you!!), I was able to determine that no additional wiring harness replacements were necessary (no scorched connectors). I also inspected the old harness for any possible alterations (blue connector fix) that previous owners of my bike might have performed. There didn't seem to be any alterations.
My questions are, (1) could the new wiring harness and install of the new wiring harness affect the low beam lights and (2) would you suggest I have the dealer install the new switch set or take the chance of doing it myself, having it not fix the low beam problem and risk having the dealer point blame on me for the continued electrical problem, if one still exists.
Thank you in advance,
JRB

IF the dealer is messing with your wiring harness under a warranty / recall situation - have them do the repair to the low beams. Installing the switch set shouldn't take long - even if you have to pay the half hour of labour.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey KKKen,

Cool fix for the blue connector. Just curious if you also ended up doing anything with the yellow 'master' ground block (mentioned in your BLUE CONNECTOR thread) as well.....

I just finished upgrading my electrical wiring today, but haven't done any voltage testing yet to see what things are running like. BIke was not having any problems and no heat indications on the 30A fuse.

My connectors all looked remarkably good, with only a slight bit of oxidation on the odd terminal. I inpected, scruffed these fresh and put dielectric grease in everything.

On my connections and splices, I used buttonhook or but joints that were soldered, painted with brush on electrical tape (I love this stuff!), then heat shrinked and / or electrical taped.

Will post my findings and some pictures in another thread when I have time.....

Just thought I would inquire about the yellow ground block, since I have done nothing with mine yet. I'm waiting until I install my auxillary fuse block (I wanted to wait on this and do some testing with just the regular harness upgrades first), then I will rip apart the nose end of the bike to do some other mods (rewire heated grips and install Stebel.)

P.S. Did your Stebel come with much for instructions? Not sure how to wire my relay yet.

Excellent photo's and Easy fix Thanks!

• 8 months later...

Hi all.Thanx for all the help. There is also a white earth connector block near the battery but runs next to the engine just before the wire's split to the tailights/battery and feul level plugs. after a long search i found that it also had made a bad connection witch lead to the battery not charging.

• Like 1

Back again and still struggling, when the low beam headlight relay is plugged out and my vfr idle's the voltage stays on 12.5 volts rev is up to 5000rpm it goes up to 13.2Volts. When the relay is plugged back in the charge goes away and the battery drains away. With the R/R unplugged the red wires test 19.8volts and plugged in without the headlight relay it goes down to12.5 volts. The stators disconected test 4.5V,11.4V and 19.5V is the stator faulty? It also gets hot when plugged in... :wacko: (ps all the earth block are soldered so no bad earth connections)

Please HELP

• Member Contributer

Back again and still struggling, when the low beam headlight relay is plugged out and my vfr idle's the voltage stays on 12.5 volts rev is up to 5000rpm it goes up to 13.2Volts. When the relay is plugged back in the charge goes away and the battery drains away. With the R/R unplugged the red wires test 19.8volts and plugged in without the headlight relay it goes down to12.5 volts. The stators disconected test 4.5V,11.4V and 19.5V is the stator faulty? It also gets hot when plugged in... :wacko: (ps all the earth block are soldered so no bad earth connections)

Please HELP

Bad stator, 4.5Vac reading is wrong. Replace stator,R\R and the connectors .

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, this is the problem I encounter with my VFR 2002 non-ABS (french version).

At 30 000 km (around 18 600 + miles), engine fan died, I had it replaced. I told the mechanic about the R/R problem, he told me he checked at the battery & for him there was no problem with it, the voltage was correct.

Then 2 weeks later, (after going high in the revs - around 10 000 rpm - which may have cause the problem), the 20 A. fuse linked to the new fan burnt...

The mechanic told me I have a short circuit somewhere or a similar kind of electrical problem... That he looked but did not find anything. And that I may experience a new problem anytime... Or not...

For him, the solution is to inspect or/ change the entire electrical wiring... Ouch...

I will try KanadianKen fix and will tell you if it has work... If anybody has an advice for me, I'd be happy to hear it... Thank you

Edited by AlainReunion

Hi Switchblade. I studied the wire diagram and stripped the harnass open. I found that the wire marked (E) coming out of the righthand fusebox (brouwn/Blue) somehow grounds somewhere even if everything is plugged out any advise?

That he looked but did not find anything.

Yes, because he does not own nor know how to use a SHORT DETECTOR which would tell HIM where the problem lies. This guy will never find anything. The old "wholesale swap" is used by such people.

The good news is you seem to have a link of the fan fuse and the fan. That's the same circuit. It is not like he has to check the entire bike yet. If you can inspect the fan wiring, perhaps you may find a damaged section, obvious bare wire or burnt area? An area near a previous repair which may have gotten nicked in the process? Hopefully he didn't just reconnect a melted connector to the fan, did he?

Edited by Knight