Video Taping Help

finethen

So I've got a nice little MiniDV camera (Sony DCR-HC30) and some RAM mount stuff and I've made a few videos, but they typically look like I'm only doing about 30 MPH , when in fact I'm doing the speed limit or maybe a little more. I'm looking for some pointers to make better videos so when I view them this winter I can immerse myself in their realism instead of the kiddie rides they look like now.

• Member Contributer

+1.gif on the lens plus shoot in wider shots in 4:3 and crop to widescreen(16:9) or cinemtic (2.39:1)during editing gives the illusion of larger space and a greater sense of speed. For example

4:3 Standard TV ratio

4-3.jpg

16:9 Widescreen HDTV standard

16-9.jpg

2.39:1 Cinematic standard

2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
So I've got a nice little MiniDV camera (Sony DCR-HC30) and some RAM mount stuff and I've made a few videos, but they typically look like I'm only doing about 30 MPH , when in fact I'm doing the speed limit or maybe a little more. I'm looking for some pointers to make better videos so when I view them this winter I can immerse myself in their realism instead of the kiddie rides they look like now.

Ok, so I can't resist, try riding FASTER,,,,,,,, oh wait, get a detector first.

Whats winter got anything to do with not riding??

Edited by cruzinaz

• Member Contributer

You know... I posted a WDGAH X vid taken with my JVC miniDV. The comments I got back were:

Man, you were really going slow.

When, we were much over (did I type that) the posted speed limit. The video did no justice.

I fab'ed a camera mount that attaches to the fuel tank cap (using the cosmetic cap head screws), so the cam peers through

the windscreen. You can see the tach, but not the speedo.

Clicky for 46MB wmv of wdgah_x

The above (still) has not been edited.

I'll try the techniques described above...

• Forum CEO

Well my advice? First realize that most everything you shoot is not gold, most of it sucks really - I often boil down an hour of tape to 5 minutes. Second wide angle is the way to go, although a normal camera can take some dramtic shots. I use remote cameras, these are the bullet or lipstick type. Two viosport cameras that use minidv camcorder to record onto. It helps to be riding well while shooting heh. At least well enough. Some wide angle camera can actually make the effect of speed enhanced yet take away the effect of bike lean away at the same time. So you will get some dramatic speed effect the lean angle is negated by the overall wideness of the shot. In that situation a narrow shot will really make the change of direction seem dramatic. Sw.eepers wide angle, tight roads normal angle

Remote cameras are great but they can get damaged - breaking glass covers is common so you have to get some extras or get a heavy duty casing. If you cant do that and only have one camera your stuck with shooting behind the wind screen with a camera mounted on the tank or some such device. This gives speedo shots which riders want to see but to me thats just eveidence against you should you end up defending your actions. fI found the shape of a VTEC dash is not so great for this type of shooting it takes out most of your field of view. If your windshield has some scratches or some such thing it really reduces picture quality. Get some polish or a new clear windscreen if you are going to do that.

I wired up two cameras on a switch I built into my tank bag so I can switch between cameras. I just added another camera last year and wanted to be able to take front and back shots.

I do a lot of cutting like a music video, and try to keep the clips short to keep the viewers attention. Even then its hard to get sombody to want to watch your video so you have to really be willing to cut out the parts where you just going in a strait line, these tend to make viewers close the vid and go do somthing else. I also try to time the cuts to the music just seems to flow better that way. Some dont like music but my camera has an annyoingly loud mic so the bike sound is just garbage or wind noise - wind noise is too distracting. Adding pictures and be dramatic, but dont shoot too much prep stuff, getting ready for the ride type stuff just takes up webspace and nobody cares, unless of course its funny as hell.

It helps to know the road so you know when to turn on the camera otherwise you can be shooting a lot of crusing or waiting for cars. If you can set the exposure to match the weather conditions that would be ideal, cloudy skys really wash out a picture, I love sunny blue skies!! I find late afternoon shooting is dramatic when the sun is close to setting - the shadows seem to really stand out and make for some neat effects, like your own shadow on the road for example.

I like to do speed videos and also videos of the scenery - they are two different types of shooting and both enjoyable, nothing like riding in beautiful places. Go out and shoot some video some of them will suck but then you might shoot somthing really great - its like everything else it takes practice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
... Two viosport cameras that use minidv camcorder to record onto.

looked up the viosport website... $850 for a set...

I'll wait for the dollar to drop some more vs the Euro... :thumbsup:

• Forum CEO
... Two viosport cameras that use minidv camcorder to record onto.

looked up the viosport website... $850 for a set...

I'll wait for the dollar to drop some more vs the Euro... :thumbsup:

one is plenty, I did not buy all this stuff at once, over the years I collected more. My camera is a cheapo cannon zr300, it sometimes jiggles the tape and I get wierd checker board blips on the video. Viosport seems to make the best cameras with the best connectors and such. They really are top quality, they do not however have the best mounts nor do they have a protective camera enclosure.

http://www.bulletcam.com has a great little mount that attaches with a velcro like industrial strength fastner - but thier cameras suck and they have poor customer service.

http://www.helmetcamera.com these guys make a nice protective enclosure for the camera but from videos my friend Sfarson took hes not happy with the quality of the picture, they have however started selling dvr recorder that is all digital, no tape.

http://www.viosport.com is the camera set I chose I have the ADVENTURE CAM 3 two of them, I bought seperatly. I like them they do not however have a protective enclosure and the mounts are inadequate. SO I took the best of each of these companies and made my own. They have a new digital DVR that looks like it would be perfect for motorcycling too called the POV1

as far as my two camera setup I took apart the power connector/microphone on one and soldiered in another so I can flip a switch and change cameras on the fly, and I use a mini codura magnetic tankbag and a I have my cannon mini dv recoder inside a pelican case to keep out the rain or should the tankbag fall off. Trial and error mainly on the setup. I even bought a miniture multiplexor but it was too bulky once you wired it up for use. The switch Idea was perfect for me. I use ram mounts for the cameras or the plastic clips I got from bulletcam.

gallery_491_3056_547324.jpg

viosport cams bags batteries and cameras

gallery_491_3056_1512049.jpg

The switch I wired up a switch, its on the wrong side, it orginally for for a mp3 player where I mounted it so I turn the bag around backwards to operate it with my left hand.

• Forum CEO
  • Member Contributer
Thanks for the info!!

I'm going to order the POV 1, looks pretty sweet but I'm not sure the angle of the view of the camera is as wide as I'd like. The lens is 4.5mm. http://www.viosport.com/

I've been eyeballing this thing for a while but haven't found any decent reviews yet.

Thanks for the info!!

I'm going to order the POV 1, looks pretty sweet but I'm not sure the angle of the view of the camera is as wide as I'd like. The lens is 4.5mm. http://www.viosport.com/

I've been eyeballing this thing for a while but haven't found any decent reviews yet.

Mine ships today and will be here Wednesday. I'll do a mini-review.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO

Just to add a note about viosport, I have had one of the cameras for 2 years now and it has taken a beating. So much so the wires pulled loose. I asked them if they could repair it, thinking it would need a new cord ( for which I was prepared to pay) Knowing the warranty has long since expired! Here is there response. I have had three different messages from three different customer care pros, and each one has been above and beyond what I expected - in terms of customer service - They are replacing the camera! Wow! Cant ask for a better run outfit than Viosport!

----- Original Message -----

To: miguel@vfrdiscussion.com

Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 10:37 AM

Subject: V.I.O. Order #11084

Hello Miguel,

We have received your returned AC3; it appears that the problem was not a warranty issue. The cable seems to be pulled apart, and melted possibly due to contact with the engine. Damage of this kind is not covered under the warranty. However, we value you as a repeat customer, so we will make an exception and take care of you this time. We will be sending a replacement AC3 to you today.

Thank you for your continued interest in our products.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

John

Customer Care Team

V.I.O. Inc.

www.vio-pov.com

Just to add a note about viosport, I have had one of the cameras for 2 years now and it has taken a beating. So much so the wires pulled loose. I asked them if they could repair it, thinking it would need a new cord ( for which I was prepared to pay) Knowing the warranty has long since expired! Here is there response. I have had three different messages from three different customer care pros, and each one has been above and beyond what I expected - in terms of customer service - They are replacing the camera! Wow! Cant ask for a better run outfit than Viosport!

I sent my POV.1 back after one week of use and they're replacing it. I backed the cable off the camera in the dark about a week after I got it and the camera came apart, stripping the wires from the camera. I had slightly cross threaded the cable and in the dark couldn't see that.

The POV.1 recorder had a number of problems, a high pitched squeal in the audio, glitches in the software during setup that caused it to shut off and a couple of other intermittent anomalies.

I'll have the new one tomorrow and I sure hope it's better.

• Member Contributer

I bought the motocomm and I just have to learn to edit. Cid quality is nice though

www.motocomm.com

You can find it cheaper on ebay just put motocomm into the search engine

• 5 months later...
  • Forum CEO

gallery_491_3604_416253.jpg

dual cam setup

I have a new/old camera, the canon zr300 went kaput, so I found a sony hc30 on ebay. I prefer this camea for its small size and because it has a Lanc port

my setup is as follows

• Sony DCH30 mini dv
  • 2 x Viosport Adventure Cam
  • Lanc version 1.6
  • Pelican 1050 microcase
  • custom made dual camera switch/high gain mic
  • audio splitter
  • cortech mini magnetic tankback
  • eveready rechargable AA battieries

gallery_491_3604_104965.jpg

Ram mounts

gallery_491_3604_408290.jpg

Camera set to go

The Lanc is nice you can shut the camera off and on, pause and record by one button, depending on how long you depress it.

• Member Contributer

Maybe Vids someday, after I get a handle on all this other stuff................ :unsure:

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

H.S.,

What is your switch made from? Is it a special toggle video switch? Something I could pick up at Radio Shack/etc?

Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

Just a heads up to aspiring motorcycling movie makers, cameras with the necessary inputs for the remote cams are disappearing from line ups. No one currently makes a consumer grade MiniDV camera with both inputs, your only hope for now is the second hand market. It sucks I am looking to buy a backup for my camera "just in case".

• Member Contributer

there are very few 'current gen' camcorders that have video inputs and mic inputs. And there seems to be a gap growing between the consumer and pro cameras. For most positions it seems SD DV-based cameras work the best. Then again, if you are getting a camera for the inputs, there are other recording devices out there to do that. Some even have multiple camera inputs.

Just a heads up to aspiring motorcycling movie makers, cameras with the necessary inputs for the remote cams are disappearing from line ups. No one currently makes a consumer grade MiniDV camera with both inputs, your only hope for now is the second hand market. It sucks I am looking to buy a backup for my camera "just in case".

Don't know if it's the type of cmaera you're looking for, but Canon still has the Canon Elura 100 in their product listings. It has the AV in needed to connect my bullet cam, overall I'm pretty satisfied with it, but I have had a few problems maintaining a good connection with the AV input while riding.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...#ModelDetailAct

• Member Contributer

Anyone have any feed back on this system?

Race Optics

Bullet camera with a dedicated digital recorder using SD memory.

Pricey package but comes with everything including 3 replacement camera lenses and you can buy an option wide angle lens, upgraded camera, and wireless remote...