Carrozzeria Alu Wheel Set: Vfr800

Veefer800Canuck

• Member Contributer
They (Carrozeria) unfortunately do not have a great reputation amongst the sportbike community. Their initial output sportbike wheels had several problems, such as difficulty in mounting/demounting of tires, and as I've personally experienced, shoddy anodising on a set of gold Z1000 wheels (they ended up being returned to the retailer that sold it).

I do hope they've pulled their act together though. They should have, by now.

Read about it here:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.ph...els#post2569825

and here:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214824

There are a couple of other threads that I came across, but these are what I can remember. Approach these wheels with extreme caution, IMO.

There initial run of V6 model wheels had some issues. They also had some issues with the powdercoating company they were working with. All of these problems were resolved long ago, and the vstar wheels have had zero issues. I've sold a bunch of them and have not had any complaints. I've also not read or heard of anyone complaining online about carrozzeria with any of the current model wheels. The v6's were discontinued.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They (Carrozeria) unfortunately do not have a great reputation amongst the sportbike community. Their initial output sportbike wheels had several problems, such as difficulty in mounting/demounting of tires, and as I've personally experienced, shoddy anodising on a set of gold Z1000 wheels (they ended up being returned to the retailer that sold it).

I do hope they've pulled their act together though. They should have, by now.

Read about it here:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.ph...els#post2569825

and here:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214824

There are a couple of other threads that I came across, but these are what I can remember. Approach these wheels with extreme caution, IMO.

There initial run of V6 model wheels had some issues. They also had some issues with the powdercoating company they were working with. All of these problems were resolved long ago, and the vstar wheels have had zero issues. I've sold a bunch of them and have not had any complaints. I've also not read or heard of anyone complaining online about carrozzeria with any of the current model wheels. The v6's were discontinued.

Does anyone know the cost on these wheels now? And does anyone actually have these on their VFR? I would like to buy a set but iI would like someone's feedback on these wheels. I think I found a site that has them for 1689 but not sure if thats for both.

• Member Contributer

It would be so sweet to get the specs on that axle adapter... I've got 4 brand spankin' new CNC mills to program... ^_^

C'mon Sebastian. Just find a damaged 6.0" Ducati wheel and measure the offset. Buy a Ducati spindle off eBay for the measurements there, and combine the two to make the spindle adapter. I estimate the offset spacing on Carrozeirra's adapter to clear the VFR's rear caliper and centre the wider Ducati wheel to be about 6.35 mm. Turn one out of something cheap like plastic or wood to test fit and you're off :fing02:

Gee, here we go again... cue Viffer owners checking bank balances, selling kids...

Rick, haven't seen Murphy for a (long) while - post up a recent pic!

• Member Contributer

It would be so sweet to get the specs on that axle adapter... I've got 4 brand spankin' new CNC mills to program... ^_^

C'mon Sebastian. Just find a damaged 6.0 Ducati wheel and measure the offset. Buy a Ducati spindle off eBay for the measurements there, and combine the two to make the spindle adapter. I estimate the offset spacing on Carrozeirra's adapter to clear the VFR's rear caliper and centre the wider Ducati wheel to be about 6.35 mm. Turn one out of something cheap like plastic or wood to test fit and you're off :fing02:

It's sort of been done already. Matt did it on one of his 4th gens using triumph guts and a monster wheel.

• Member Contributer

I looked into these 2 years ago. Expensive and custom work due to rear drive yes, but not available for 6th Gen models with ABS. That ended that.

From other comments during my research, they did reduce the overall weight up front, but the rear came out almost the same with the weight of the custom SSS assembly.

Handling did improve due to reduction in spinning mass, but in the end he didn't think it worth the $2500 USD cost for results other than, MAN THEY LOOK GOOO!

Couple things to consider:

A fella on Hawk GTForum has a set of Corazzerais mounted on his Hawk using modified stock spindle , I know that Hawk spindle is direct swap for VFR since most Hawkers use Vifer wheels and spindles on their bikes. Also he paid closer to $1000 than $2K, can't remember exact figure but I can ask

Also same fella making me a spacer to fit a Ducati complete eccentric, brakes and wheel on to Hawk swingarm, it's a simple sleeve with small offset, he provided drawings but I opted to have him make it for a reasonable fee. Should work on VFR since the swingarms have same offset and eccentrics have same diameter.

I'd post some links but the Hawk Forum is down for maintenance

So the Ducati monster/848/1098/1198 eccentric will fit in the VFR swingarm? I didn't think it would work at all.

I'm using 748/916/996 eccentric with custom made sleeve, once I have it in my hands will post up some pics, but basically it's a simple sleeve that allows smaller Duc eccentric to fit in larger opening of Honda swinger, it also provides proper offset.

So the Ducati monster/848/1098/1198 eccentric will fit in the VFR swingarm? I didn't think it would work at all.

I'm using 748/916/996 eccentric with custom made sleeve, once I have it in my hands will post up some pics, but basically it's a simple sleeve that allows smaller Duc eccentric to fit in larger opening of Honda swinger, it also provides proper offset.

What year VFR swingarm are you putting that in?

• Member Contributer

What year VFR swingarm are you putting that in?

Ding Ding Ding :cheerleader: We have a winner !

So many people confuse what people have done with (mostly) 4th gen VFR750's with what's possible on the 5th and 6th gen VFR800. You can sleeve a Ducati eccentric for the 800 as well, but you are still going to have to deal with the 3-piston rear caliper.

Looks like I will be doing a spindle for another board member with a 5th gen this spring. They are going to fab their own brake caliper stay for use with a Ducati caliper, so those of you not afraid to delink your brakes may soon have a reasonable method of putting aftermarket wheels on your VFR800.

• Member Contributer
I looked into these 2 years ago. Expensive and custom work due to rear drive yes, but not available for 6th Gen models with ABS. That ended that.

The Carrozeirra 'kit' would allow you to retain your ABS brakes as the spindle adapter offsets the wheel enough to clear the VFR800's 3-piston rear brake caliper, which is why they use a 6.0" wide wheel instead of a 5.5"

Still a lot of dough :lobby:

• Member Contributer
I know that Hawk spindle is direct swap for VFR since most Hawkers use VFR wheels and spindles on their bikes.

Really ? The VFR wheel is a common mod for the Hawk GT, but it is typically done by modifying the Hawk spindle to accomodate the VFR wheel:

Look for vfr wheel faq HERE

• Member Contributer

Perhaps someone could email them and see if they are willing to sell the adaptor separately???

At one point, Carrozeirra would sell you an adapter for $800. But I think they figured out pretty fast that would have allowed someone to copy it PDQ.

Not that you couldn't make a copy if you bought the whole kit, but the kit price is a bigger deterrent for someone that might otherwise have access to a programmable CNC machine.

Not that you couldn't just figure it out by looking at the pictures and taking some of your own measurements, mind you :cool:

• Member Contributer

Well, the 848 eccentric is different from the 1098/1198 ecentric, or at least the spindle is because you can use 848 wheels on the older 748/916/995/998 bikes, but not 1098/1198 wheels.

There have been two other (supposed) people to my knowledge that have put either an RC30 or Ducati eccentric in their VFR. Have never seen actual pictures of a finished product anywhere. Two of the others out there (Swiffer, DouglasTheCook) on this site I had made here in Edmonton. BusyLittleShop did at least one conversion on a blue (and vomit-colored) VFR750 (not sure how else to describe the paint scheme...) that is now owned by a vfrD member. And MrMatt worked with SA1713 on the Triumph eccentric conversion for the 4th gen after I spent some time discussing it with him. At the time we were looking at fitting it to the 5th gen, but it would have required a cylindrical spacer and there may have been some other issues that I can't recall but it was quite do-able for the 4th gen (and most likely the 3rd gen since it's final drive doesn't differ that much from the 4th's design, if at all).

VFROEM also put an NC30 final drive in his VFR750 which was fairly well documented on this site, but everything else is vaporware without pics.

Looks like I will be doing a spindle for another board member with a 5th gen this spring. They are going to fab their own brake caliper stay for use with a Ducati caliper, so those of you not afraid to delink your brakes may soon have a reasonable method of putting aftermarket wheels on your VFR800.

Please keep me in the loop on this one, via PM if necessary.

The Carrozeirra 'kit' would allow you to retain your ABS brakes as the spindle adapter offsets the wheel enough to clear the VFR800's 3-piston rear brake caliper, which is why they use a 6.0" wide wheel instead of a 5.5"

Clearing the caliper is only half the problem in the case of the ABS model; there is a sensor ring mounted to the stock wheel which would not have been retained on the replacement wheel.

• Member Contributer

Please keep me in the loop on this one, via PM if necessary.

Clearing the caliper is only half the problem in the case of the ABS model; there is a sensor ring mounted to the stock wheel which would not have been retained on the replacement wheel.

Mounted to the stock rear disc....wheel has no effect whatsoever.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2009-honda-vfr800a/o/m18431#sch612279

Part #7 RING, PULSER

I'm not gonna say that ABS will work, in fact because of different caliper size I'd say it's not likely to work on ABS bikes, but here's a Duc eccentric in Hawk swingarm, complete with carrier for a Brembo caliper.

003.JPG

As for VFR wheel mod there is more than one way of doing it, you can use Hawk spindle and modify it or just install VFR axle. Also hawk spindle could be modified to accept Ducati wheel, not likely to be done with VFR but I suppose you can pic up Hawk (or NC30) spindle and use it on earlier model VFR's

here's a Hawk Spindle mod for Duc wheel

IMG_5309.jpg

5128928689_9d21f940f6.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm not gonna say that ABS will work, in fact because of different caliper size I'd say it's not likely to work on ABS bikes, but here's a Duc eccentric in Hawk swingarm, complete with carrier for a Brembo caliper.

003.JPG

Pretty much how you would fit it into a 3rd or 4th gen swingarm with the brake stay mount on the top of the swingarm. You can see the cylindrical spacer between the Ducati eccentric and the VFR750 swingarm.

VFR800 has a different linkage which I found more complicated to deal with due to it's location on the inside of the swingarm.

gallery_654_61_11688.jpg

Modified a Ducati rear brake stay and the VFR torque rod

ABS sensor ring attaches to the rear disc on the VFR800 spindle, so once that's gone, so is your ABS.

• Member Contributer

Gee, here we go again... cue Viffer owners checking bank balances, selling kids...

Rick, haven't seen Murphy for a (long) while - post up a recent pic!

Camera shy, I guess :lurk:

gallery_654_61_334267.jpg

IMAGE_343.jpg

VFR800 has a different linkage which I found more complicated to deal with due to it's location on the inside of the swingarm.

gallery_654_61_11688.jpg

Modified a Ducati rear brake stay and the VFR torque rod

ABS sensor ring attaches to the rear disc on the VFR800 spindle, so once that's gone, so is your ABS.

Looking at the pics it seems like Duc brake carrier attached to swingarm in the same place as VFR800, there is a bolt the does through the slot on the carrier that allows it to slide back and forward as eccentric is rotated.

I can post a Duc SSA pics tomorrow, all my parts are at the shop.

• Member Contributer
Looking at the pics it seems like Duc brake carrier attached to swingarm in the same place as VFR800, there is a bolt that goes through the slot on the carrier that allows it to slide back and forward as eccentric is rotated.

Well, Yes and No.

The Ducati brake stay is meant to slide on a fixed pin that is part of the Ducati's swingarm casting. I thought it would put some torsional stress on the linkage, but if I could have found someone to cut me a proper brake stay based on the Ducati part it would have been easy to make the sliding slotted portion longer such that it would have fit right along where the VFR800's brake linkage bolts to the swingarm.

I would have had to make a few other changes to rotate the caliper to the bottom position of the wheel where it should be, as well as offset it to work with the VFR's rear disc, but if I knew someone who could have done that, putting a Ducati wheel on a VFR800 using a Ducati caliper would have been a snap.

As it was, I could have fabricated a short linkage like in your first pic, but didn't want to rotate the rear caliper ahead of the centerline of the rear wheel, so I stuck with the longer linkage and modified the OEM Ducati brake stay and a Ducati rear rotor to work with the VFR.

Maybe there was a better way to do it, but it's not like there was anyone around to ask so I did as much as I could figure out from the information I could gather, and just reasoned out the parts that were still blank.

The VFR750 spindles I have modified wind up looking like this:

gallery_654_4563_205138.jpg

PICT3153.JPG

• Member Contributer
Looking at the pics it seems like Duc brake carrier attached to swingarm in the same place as VFR800, there is a bolt that goes through the slot on the carrier that allows it to slide back and forward as eccentric is rotated.

Well, Yes and No.

The Ducati brake stay is meant to slide on a fixed pin that is part of the Ducati's swingarm casting. I thought it would put some torsional stress on the linkage, but if I could have found someone to cut me a proper brake stay based on the Ducati part it would have been easy to make the sliding slotted portion longer such that it would have fit right along where the VFR800's brake linkage bolts to the swingarm.

I would have had to make a few other changes to rotate the caliper to the bottom position of the wheel where it should be, as well as offset it to work with the VFR's rear disc, but if I knew someone who could have done that, putting a Ducati wheel on a VFR800 using a Ducati caliper would have been a snap.

As it was, I could have fabricated a short linkage like in your first pic, but didn't want to rotate the rear caliper ahead of the centerline of the rear wheel, so I stuck with the longer linkage and modified the OEM Ducati brake stay and a Ducati rear rotor to work with the VFR.

Maybe there was a better way to do it, but it's not like there was anyone around to ask so I did as much as I could figure out from the information I could gather, and just reasoned out the parts that were still blank.

The VFR750 spindles I have modified wind up looking like this:

gallery_654_4563_205138.jpg

PICT3153.JPG

if i send you a vfr spindle and rc30 spindle can you make the VFR adapted to work with the RC30 wheel? i have extra drive pins?

I want to make my vfr spindle into a single nut and use a RC30 wheel and it LOOKS like the rc30 axle is too short to work in the vfr eccentric hub and i have no rc30 carrier at the moment

• Member Contributer
if i send you a vfr spindle and rc30 spindle can you make the VFR adapted to work with the RC30 wheel? i have extra drive pins?

I want to make my vfr spindle into a single nut and use a RC30 wheel and it LOOKS like the rc30 axle is too short to work in the vfr eccentric hub and i have no rc30 carrier at the moment

You want to put an 18" rear wheel on your VFR ?

Ask Jamon over at http://www.blackrhubarb.com/ what the dealio is with Ducati and RC30 wheel interchangeability. The selection of OEM Ducati wheels is much better, unless you already have an RC30 wheel.

The RC30 did not have a cush drive, so yes it will probably be too short on the sprocket side to work with your VFR750 cush drive.