Carrozzeria Alu Wheel Set: Vfr800

Veefer800Canuck

Emailed Mark at Carrozzeria and according to him these where Limited Edition and only 10 sets were made, and there are no plans to make anymore. So either I need to buy someones old set, or set up a group buy but from what I read most ofyou guys arent willing to shell out the cash for them. So either way I dont get what I want.

Edited by nr0974

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Emailed Mark at Carrozzeria and according to him these where Limited Edition and only 10 sets were made, and there are no plans to make anymore. So either I need to buy someones old set, or set up a group buy but from what I read most ofyou guys arent willing to shell out the cash for them. So either way I dont get what I want.

I think the main "gotcha" on the Carrrozzeria wheels is that they are 6" width. A lot of us viffer nuts are conscience of handling and dont want to do anything that would affect it negatively which a 6'" wheel would. The best way to go as Safe-T has pointed out to go single nut and keep stockish handling is to look at Ducati wheels and brakes.

btw - cool thread! :fing02:

• Member Contributer
if i send you a vfr spindle and rc30 spindle can you make the VFR adapted to work with the RC30 wheel? i have extra drive pins?

I want to make my vfr spindle into a single nut and use a RC30 wheel and it LOOKS like the rc30 axle is too short to work in the vfr eccentric hub and i have no rc30 carrier at the moment

You want to put an 18" rear wheel on your VFR ?

Ask Jamon over at http://www.blackrhubarb.com/ what the dealio is with Ducati and RC30 wheel interchangeability. The selection of OEM Ducati wheels is much better, unless you already have an RC30 wheel.

The RC30 did not have a cush drive, so yes it will probably be too short on the sprocket side to work with your VFR750 cush drive.

RC30 spindle fits my 750 perfect altho here im also using rc30 hub. its actually 1 mm shorter than standard, which has no effect in situe. This mod was almost a straight swap..

No cush, direct drive is a much better responsive feel....The loss of rotating weight is very noticeable when under power! On the track the acceleration over other bikes puts most others to shame.... bring on the mods, you wont be disappointed...

I guess i could have left the brake unit on the top of swingarm, but went underneath because i could...Had a brake stay welded onto bottom of swing arm, so it works similar to the ducati brake stay...I have seen BLS make up something also similar in his HRC swing arm, but his is proper posh...

post-5025-0-52115200-1295307122_thumb.jppost-5025-0-65464300-1295307469_thumb.jp

RC30 wheel 17 inch change using Dymag here, although Marvic and HRC also do similar mag wheels....here a 5.75 wide wheel... i think 6 gets a little too close for comfort to swing arm..

post-5025-0-88883800-1295307726_thumb.jp

Bring it on...After a good 10 years of VFR dreaming, 250,000 VFR miles, its now well sorted!...post-5025-0-23066900-1295308445_thumb.jp

Would love a new set of flash wheels,3.5" cbr929 front and 5.5 rc30 rear please, both 17"....but im skint as usual.....

• Member Contributer
if i send you a vfr spindle and rc30 spindle can you make the VFR adapted to work with the RC30 wheel? i have extra drive pins?

I want to make my vfr spindle into a single nut and use a RC30 wheel and it LOOKS like the rc30 axle is too short to work in the vfr eccentric hub and i have no rc30 carrier at the moment

You want to put an 18" rear wheel on your VFR ?

Ask Jamon over at http://www.blackrhubarb.com/ what the dealio is with Ducati and RC30 wheel interchangeability. The selection of OEM Ducati wheels is much better, unless you already have an RC30 wheel.

The RC30 did not have a cush drive, so yes it will probably be too short on the sprocket side to work with your VFR750 cush drive.

RC30 spindle fits my 750 perfect altho here im also using rc30 hub. its actually 1 mm shorter than standard, which has no effect in situe. This mod was almost a straight swap..

No cush, direct drive is a much better responsive feel....The loss of rotating weight is very noticeable when under power! On the track the acceleration over other bikes puts most others to shame.... bring on the mods, you wont be disappointed...

I guess i could have left the brake unit on the top of swingarm, but went underneath because i could...Had a brake stay welded onto bottom of swing arm, so it works similar to the ducati brake stay...I have seen BLS make up something also similar in his HRC swing arm, but his is proper posh...

post-5025-0-52115200-1295307122_thumb.jppost-5025-0-65464300-1295307469_thumb.jp

RC30 wheel 17 inch change using Dymag here, although Marvic and HRC also do similar mag wheels....here a 5.75 wide wheel... i think 6 gets a little too close for comfort to swing arm..

post-5025-0-88883800-1295307726_thumb.jp

Bring it on...After a good 10 years of VFR dreaming, 250,000 VFR miles, its now well sorted!...post-5025-0-23066900-1295308445_thumb.jp

Would love a new set of flash wheels,3.5" cbr929 front and 5.5 rc30 rear please, both 17"....but im skint as usual.....

this is exactly what i want to do.

i have several 17 RC30 wheels and i am trying to simplify the VFR wheel swap considring i already have a lot of what is needed. I do NOT have a RC30 sprocket carrier or sprocoet nut and did not want to but any if i was unsure it would work on the 98 VFR arm. I have installed it and it looked short but you have cleared that up, thanks.

anybody happen to know where to buy a used RC30 sprocket carrier and or nut too?

• Member Contributer

So, you are using the RC30 spindle and sprocket carrier in the RC30 eccentric in your VFR750 ? Neat. The VFR750 eccentric is smaller than the VFR800's (and the same size as the Triumph's ~ see MrMatt).

Rumor is the RC45 stuff fits in the VFR800 arm, but no one seems interested in ferreting out used RC45 parts to try it out around here yet.

• Member Contributer
I have several 17 RC30 wheels...

Be interested in knowing which of these wheels, if any, actually clear the 3-piston rear caliper on the VFR800.

The smaller RC30 eccentric will need a cylindrical spacer in the VFR800 swingarm. Or are you thinking of using the RC spindle in the VFR800's eccentric ?

• Member Contributer

yes the vfr750 eccentric parts are similar size to the rc30, then after the 750 was the 800, i believe the rc45 is the next best match to the 800 sizes...The measurements are all out there on the net. I thought i saved them on my lap top, but again they have become elusive. I have posted them on VFRD twice already so have a look if you get the time..

Not a lot of rc45 spares going around to my knowledge.....

Edited by B4D80Y

Sorry for taking this even more off topic(and for not searching first...).

What's the deal with putting HawkGT/NT650 drive guts in a 4th gen arm? I've got a guy who wants to swap his Hawk single nut stuff for my VFR parts...

• Member Contributer

Sorry for taking this even more off topic(and for not searching first...).

What's the deal with putting HawkGT/NT650 drive guts in a 4th gen arm? I've got a guy who wants to swap his Hawk single nut stuff for my VFR parts...

I'd scour the HawkGT forums - I bet they are pretty close, though. But you can't use a Duc wheel on the Hawk spindle without relocating the drive pins. You might be able to use an NC35 rear wheel, but again I think the drive pin circle is different.

• Member Contributer
I have several 17 RC30 wheels...

Be interested in knowing which of these wheels, if any, actually clear the 3-piston rear caliper on the VFR800.

The smaller RC30 eccentric will need a cylindrical spacer in the VFR800 swingarm. Or are you thinking of using the RC spindle in the VFR800's eccentric ?

rc30 spindle in a 98 vfr 800 eccentric on a rc51 bike

• Member Contributer

The RC30 sprocket carrier is the same as the NC30 and NC35, so used ones should be available on UK eBay (though they are usually attached to swing arms!) Have a look at vfroem's threads/gallery. He's got an RC30 spindle mounted in a VFR750 swing arm (and NC30 sprocket carrier) IIRC.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
rc30 spindle in a 98 vfr 800 eccentric on a rc51 bike

Interesting that the bearing journals still match up, but I've heard the same thing about the VFR spindle in the Hawk eccentric and vice versa.

What are you going to use for a rear caliper / brake stay ?

• Member Contributer

Found the measurements. In my bookmark section...

Taken from another website found to be very useful for reference, http://guukan.org/garage/swingarms.html

Once again posted on VFRD..

Honda VFR ('90-'2003+), Hawk, RC30/45, NSR250 all use the same relative rear wheel offset. i.e. mix and match wheels amongst the various models and so long as the spindle face is unmolested the wheels will remain centered.

90-93 VFR (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')

Length: 565

Pivot width: 242 (+3.5 thrust collar)

Pivot diameter: 20

Eccentric outside diameter: 105

Eccentric width: 70 (+3 crenelated 'edge')

Caliper carrier diameter: 75

Caliper carrier width: 14

Brake rotor diameter: 255

Brake rotor mount diameter: 110

Sprocket mount diameter: 175

Wheel drive diameter: 100

94-97 VFR (shock linkage mount is one lobe on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is an 'eye')

Length: 560

Pivot width: 227 (+3.5 thrust collar)

Brake rotor diameter: 255

Sprocket mount diameter: 175

Hawk (shock is direct-mounted to top of swingarm)(shock end is an 'eye')

Length: 545

Pivot width: 235

Pivot diameter (right): 15

Pivot diameter (left): <22

Brake rotor diameter: 240

Brake rotor mount diameter: 100

Sprocket mount diameter: 165

RC30 (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')

Length: 530

Pivot width: 235

Caliper carrier diameter: 76

Caliper carrier width: 13

Brake rotor diameter: 220

Sprocket mount diameter: 140

Wheel drive diameter: 85

RC45 (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')

Length: 540

Pivot width: 250

Eccentric outside diameter: 117

Eccentric width: 77 (+3 crenelated 'edge')

Caliper carrier diameter: 76

Caliper carrier width: 13

RVF400 (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')

Length: 540 (??)

Pivot width: 215

Eccentric outside diameter: 105 (??)

Eccentric width: 60 (+3 crenelated 'edge')

Caliper carrier diameter: 76 (??)

Caliper carrier width: 15

NSR250 / mc28

MV Agusta F4 (shock linkage mount is bolt on, under swingarm. linkage arrangement is similar to Ducati 916)

Length: 545

Pivot width: 255

Eccentric width: 76

Wheel drive diamter: 85

Missing from this list are the VFR800 specs.... would be nice to add them if anyone has the time to do so...

I have read elsewhere the 800 and 45 specs are similar, but cannot confirm 4 sure. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Ding Ding Ding :cheerleader: We have a winner !

So many people confuse what people have done with (mostly) 4th gen VFR750's with what's possible on the 5th and 6th gen VFR800. You can sleeve a Ducati eccentric for the 800 as well, but you are still going to have to deal with the 3-piston rear caliper.

Looks like I will be doing a spindle for another board member with a 5th gen this spring. They are going to fab their own brake caliper stay for use with a Ducati caliper, so those of you not afraid to delink your brakes may soon have a reasonable method of putting aftermarket wheels on your VFR800

How many of these will you/can you make?

• Member Contributer
Looks like I will be doing a spindle for another board member with a 5th gen this spring. They are going to fab their own brake caliper stay for use with a Ducati caliper, so those of you not afraid to delink your brakes may soon have a reasonable method of putting aftermarket wheels on your VFR800

I can make any number of them as long as people pay for them :fing02:

• Member Contributer

would it be the same part for 6th gen? and the price? a lightweight, single nut rear would look outstanding. plus my company paid a record bonus this year and the $$ is burning a hole in my pocket.... :biggrin:

jim

I can make any number of them as long as people pay for them :fing02:

• Member Contributer
would it be the same part for 6th gen? and the price? a lightweight, single nut rear would look outstanding. plus my company paid a record bonus this year and the $$ is burning a hole in my pocket.... :biggrin:

jim

$350 plus 5% GST, plus shipping back and forth. You need to supply a set of RC54 drive pins and bolts as these need to be press-fit, along with an OEM 46mm Ducati three-peice wheel nut because I want to make sure everything fits.

Once you get it back, you will need to fabricate your own rear brake caliper stay using a brake caliper of your choosing, since we are still working on that. If I were you I would wait, unless you want to do your own experimentation. The VFR800's stock rear brake caliper and stay will not work.

I have one other member on the board who is interested and who I have agreed to do a spindle conversion for at cost ($350 plus 5% GST), for which I hope to gain some information myself. If it were a bolt-on conversion right now - including a substitute rear brake caliper and stay, RC45 drive pins and Ducati wheel nut - you would be looking at around $1000.

Nice Max! Those things are crazy cult bikes.

I know you've seen what the Germans and French do to those things!

Oh yeah. Most of my parts are from the UK and Germany.

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Carr's are great wheels. Too bad they bounced on making them for the VFR.

4546043395_a3ac8061f6_b.jpg

They never made a set for the VFR. They just used an F4 front wheel and a wider 6.0" Ducati rear wheel coupled with an adapter to offset it to clear the VFR's rear caliper and still be centred on the swingarm.

They never made a set for the VFR. They just used an F4 front wheel and a wider 6.0" Ducati rear wheel coupled with an adapter to offset it to clear the VFR's rear caliper and still be centred on the swingarm.

I don't think the caliper clearance is an issue, only reason to space the wheel out is to keep it aligned with bikes center line.

Here's something to consider, NONE here mentioned or tried the HawkGT mounting method because NONE have probably ever removed the wheel from the Hawk. Well, here's food for thought, Hawk wheel is held in place by a bolt that passes through a center of the axle, than a nut holds the wheel in place via spacer. How difficult would it be to drill and spline the hole through the center of VFR axle and use a large bolt/spacer and nut to mount it HawkGT style?

as promised my Hawk/Ducati project pictures, got sidetracked with all the other bikes so I left it alone for now

in the back is a 748 lower triple modded with CBR900RR stem to fit the Hawk

left front is the sleeve insert, on the right is Duc eccentric with 5mm ring pressed on it for an offset

IMG_20110209_182810.jpg

on the bike

IMG_20110210_181908.jpg

I'm using Duc cush, the upside is that there are many lightweight aftermarket parts available for Ducati set up, downside is that Duc's have always used very small sprockets, 38 rear is stock, had heluva time locating a 43t rear, also have to use aftermarket cush for that, Ducati cush-drive consists of rubber insulators inserted on to a sprocket, dealer does not carry sprockets bigger than 39t (IIRC?) so I'm using the Fast By Ferracci carrier, got a sprocket from them as well, must have been for a stunt bike.

IMG_20110210_181807.jpg