Best Grade Of Stainless Steel Wool For Muffler Repack ?

ggathagan

• Member Contributer

Most of the stuffin's in my Wolf underseat are blown away and I'm going to repack it with stainless steel wool.

Since it comes in three grades (fine, medium, coarse), I thought I'd see if anybody has done this and, if so, what grade they used.

I know some folks have used stainless steel Choreboy pads, but I thought that the wool might be a better material.

Any (relevant) :goofy: opinions ?

the SS packing visible in my Staintune can seems to be of the coarse variety.

So coarse grade must be OK.

I heard that the heavy duty stuff gives and additional 10HP on any bike because of the harmonic resonance that develops between the heavy coils of stainless steel. It helps drive the exhaust pulses out of the can much faster, thus creating a negative pressure that helps the engine breath better. :unsure: .........really! :goofy: ...............and it should also last much longer than glass batting.

Beck

95 VFR +10HP really!

Guest rode2rouen

Medium or coarse stainless wool is the ticket. The reason most aftermarket mfgs. don't use it is $$. Also, they don't get to sell you repack kits after the initial purchase.

The best non stainless repacking material is called SilentSport. When I was R&D Mgr. at SuperTrapp/Kerker back in the mid '90s, we started using SilentSport for all of the 'Trapps. Good stuff, made in Germany IIRC. www.silentsport.com

Rex

• Member Contributer
When I was R&D Mgr. at SuperTrapp/Kerker back in the mid '90s, we started using SilentSport for all of the 'Trapps. Good stuff, made in Germany IIRC. www.silentsport.com

I guess you remember the old Kerker Hot Tips series. Man I loved my white edition. I wanted to try a set on my vtec (targa still carries the red) but thought two would leave too much gap while four (ala' mv agusta/lasers) wouldn't fit and moved on to other ideas.

I guess you remember the old Kerker Hot Tips series. Man I loved my white edition. I wanted to try a set on my vtec (targa still carries the red) but thought two would leave too much gap while four (ala' mv agusta/lasers) wouldn't fit and moved on to other ideas.

Do you have any pics of those?

Medium or coarse stainless wool is the ticket. The reason most aftermarket mfgs. don't use it is $$. Also, they don't get to sell you repack kits after the initial purchase.

The best non stainless repacking material is called SilentSport. When I was R&D Mgr. at SuperTrapp/Kerker back in the mid '90s, we started using SilentSport for all of the 'Trapps. Good stuff, made in Germany IIRC. www.silentsport.com

Rex

Better link: http://www.silentsport.com/index.php?page=...&kat=silent

Guest rode2rouen

I don't recall Hot Tip (could have been after I got axed), but they did make systems that were called "White Tip" (cool shark logo). These were systems that had the header Jet Hot silver ceramic coated.

Rex

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone !

Just so ya'll know, the North American distributor for SilentSport:

http://areapnolimits.com/silentsport.html

Prices:

250g bag - All 2-stroke and most small 4-stroke of road mufflers - MSRP $19.95

450g bag - Large 4-stroke offroad mufflers and many Sportbike mufflers - MSRP $24.95

700g bag - Sportbike mufflers - MSRP $39.95

They don't have an automated shopping mechanism, but you can email them to order and they'll tell you the total cost.

They take credit cards or Paypal.

:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
I don't recall Hot Tip (could have been after I got axed), but they did make systems that were called "White Tip" (cool shark logo). These were systems that had the header Jet Hot silver ceramic coated.

Rex,

My memory is often quite bad so I may just be remembering this wrong but I believe they were made by Kerker/supertrap and sold under the targa brand:

gallery_611_2287_2937.gif

targa hot tip.gif targa hot tip

I had the white one on my, then new, white 87 Honda Hurricane CBR600F.

Rex,

My memory is often quite bad so I may just be remembering this wrong but I believe they were made by Kerker/supertrap and sold under the targa brand:

gallery_611_2287_2937.gif

targa hot tip.gif targa hot tip

I had the white one on my, then new, white 87 Honda Hurricane CBR600F.

If someone put all three of those on an '07 RWB(a la CBX), they'd be my hero... :unsure:

Guest rode2rouen

Doug,

That's an interesting pic! The cans sure do look like Kerker units.

The time frame would put them on the market when Kerker was a stand alone company.

IIRC, the Berger family bought Kerker in '91. They already owned 'Trapp at that time. They moved all operations from Sacramento,CA to Cleveland,OH in '94 which was when I got involved.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest milesbandit

Decided to repack my Micron CF and didn't see a repack kit on their website, so bought a stainless steel kit from a local dealer and installed it. When I got off after my first ride, the canister was too hot to touch. Before, it only got warm.

So I'm back with the stock muffler and called Micron to order their rebuild kit.

• Member Contributer
Decided to repack my Micron CF and didn't see a repack kit on their website, so bought a stainless steel kit from a local dealer and installed it. When I got off after my first ride, the canister was too hot to touch. Before, it only got warm.

So I'm back with the stock muffler and called Micron to order their rebuild kit.

SS wool will conduct heat much better than fiberglass or ceramic packing, so I would expect the extra heat.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Anybody do how to with photos on this stuff? I have a Kerker carbon on my 5th gen and would like to tone the thing down.

MD

Edited by mello dude

• Member Contributer

We used steel wool to repack the silencers on our tz250's and stuff to go through sound and tech inspection ,first practice after you came in there would be steel wool strands embedded in your leathers if you followed anyone too close .It did not seeem to last long just the first practice then it came out the tip and was gone forever .

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Is there an easy mail order source for SilentSport muffler packing? It looks to be the easiest to deal with and lasts plenty long, no?

• Member Contributer

definaetly go with sos extra celaning.................................. :fing02:

make your you get the box with the freesh lemon scent :biggrin: