Cbr F4 Shock In Place Of Vfr Shock

turtlecreek

• Member Contributer

Good to see that someone is interested. :wink:

Yeah! While his website is somewhat lacking in glitz and orderly presentation, it is more than made up for by the numerous nuggets of great info. :fing02:

I'm planning on doing the F4i shock swap on my '07 VFR. I know I'll need to change the spring, but at 180 lbs doing moderate street riding/commuting in Florida, can I avoid modifying the internal components if the shock came off a bike with low miles? I'm mainly looking for a smoother ride.

What spring do I need?

PS: yes, I know I could ask Jamie, but I'd prefer to firsrt gather a quick general opinion before a professional one.

Edited by Underoath87

• Member Contributer

Okay, just to be clear, I can bolt in a stock 929 shock as an improvement on my 5th gen, and all I might need are some washers/spacers to get this correct? There are lots of 900/929/954 shocks out there. Some with white and some with yellow springs. Are they all the same? I like this idea and the inherent low cost of the upgrade. There are lots of decent looking low mileage shocks for sale for less than $50!

• Member Contributer

Okay, just to be clear, I can bolt in a stock 929 shock as an improvement on my 5th gen, and all I might need are some washers/spacers to get this correct? There are lots of 900/929/954 shocks out there. Some with white and some with yellow springs. Are they all the same? I like this idea and the inherent low cost of the upgrade. There are lots of decent looking low mileage shocks for sale for less than $50!

Different gens of the CBR 900 have different shocks. Even the 929 and 954. None really fit the 5th Gen VFR w/o mods.

Look at DMr's offering here: http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vfr800.html

Pay attention to the extension at the top of the shock.

I'm planning on doing the F4i shock swap on my '07 VFR. I know I'll need to change the spring, but at 180 lbs doing moderate street riding/commuting in Florida, can I avoid modifying the internal components if the shock came off a bike with low miles? I'm mainly looking for a smoother ride.

What spring do I need?

PS: yes, I know I could ask Jamie, but I'd prefer to firsrt gather a quick general opinion before a professional one.

At 180 lbs you would be in the 18-19 kg range if i remember correctly(stock is 15.3 kg). Yes i would try slapping the spring on and installing the shock, then play with the damping adjustments to see if you like the results. Even if you have to max out one or both adjustments it doesn't matter if you like it. Ideal, no, but I'm sure it would be an improvement over stock. I think the F4i shock is around 3/8" shorter then the vtec so you have to make up that amount by shimming under the top mount, may require a longer bolt.

Check here

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/19712-vtec-shock-options/

BR

The 929 Only has the same spring rate as the VFR(15.3 kg), no difference in the yellow and the white springs that were on the Erion version of 929. You will have to make up length of the shorter 929 shock by shimming the top mount bracket which may require a longer top frame bolt.

BR

What spring do I need?

At 180 lbs you would be in the 18-19 kg range if i remember correctly(stock is 15.3 kg). Yes i would try slapping the spring on and installing the shock, then play with the damping adjustments to see if you like the results. Even if you have to max out one or both adjustments it doesn't matter if you like it. Ideal, no, but I'm sure it would be an improvement over stock. I think the F4i shock is around 3/8" shorter then the vtec so you have to make up that amount by shimming under the top mount, may require a longer bolt.

Check here

Thank you!

Do you have any idea of where I should look for compatible springs? Are there any OEM springs that would fit the bill?

• Member Contributer

[...]

Thank you!

Do you have any idea of where I should look for compatible springs? Are there any OEM springs that would fit the bill?

The OEM F4i spring is tapered. Exact dimensions and rates of OEM springs are not generally published by manufacturers.

This makes finding a suitable OEM spring difficult.

Have a look at Race Tech's website here: http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Honda/CBR600F4i/2002

Scroll down to 'Rear Shock Springs & Kits'. You'll see that they offer 2 models of shock spring:

• SRSP 6016 is suitably tapered
  • SESP 60225 is cylindrical and needs adapter collars

IMO, the Daugherty Motorsport offering is a great value proposition given that you get a shock that was fully cleaned, refurbished, re-valved, re-sprung and adapted to the correct length.

What spring do I need?

Check here

Thank you!

The F4i used a rate of about 14 kg vs a stock VFR rate of 15.3 kg which is soft unless your less then 150 lbs.

I found no other Honda spring is stiffer then the VFR except the XX Blackbird at 16.9 kg.

Sonic springs offer a good selection on springs.

Br

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Aftermarket springs aren't especially expensive, but whilst an aftermarket one would fit, the shock valving and the length and stroke probably wouldn't be suitable for a VFR.  

Ciao,