New Yoshimura Vtec Exhaust!

SGVridgerunner

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Alright, first let me apologize to everyone for this dragging out so long. There have been <cough> issues that I don't want to get into. Now on to the good news, IT'S DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds better than I expected and looks fantastic! It took it to bike night tonight and already had a ton of comments. No longer will I be the only VFRD member on a group ride with a stock exhaust!!!!

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

It came out great, the two pipes are almost equal length and the pressure out of each can feels about the same.

Here is a quick video I took with a digital camera. I am working on setting up a day to do some comparison runs vs. stock and open header. I will post up a more detailed video then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sRweJNMc4o

As far as power goes, I'm definately moving more air because the bike feels like it's running leaner. VTEC transition is much harsher and throttle response isn't as good. This is a good sign, which makes me think I'll be making some decent power over stock once I get a PCIII and a proper map. Once that is all finished, I'll post up some dyno graphs.

Looks good Dave, good work :thumbsup: . I wanted to hear it but the video doesn't seem to be working. I agree with you, the pcIII will help the lean condition. After you get a PCIII I would be intrerested in knowing how your fuel economy is affected.

-Isaac

• 2 weeks later...

I was so lookin forward to hearin those Yosh sing. The video is down tho. I'm patient so I can wait til Dave gets a better one up. It'll be the first time anyone's ever heard a Yosh on the 6th gen VFR so we've been patient this long. Could also be the only time we'll hear it as the 6th gen is obviously at the end of its cycle and it wouldn't make sense for Yosh to put out an exhaust system now.

I do have to say those pipes look good on the bike. It really looks like they could have been made for the Viffer. I would maybe like to see them a little shorter if Yosh actually woulda made them for the bike, but that's being really picky and they still look good the way they are. I know it may be a little late now, but did you consider running the second pipe that goes to the left exhaust up along the first pipe and the rounding it in like the Laser system and Staintunes do it? The reason I ask is the rear wheel may rub on the exhaust pipe which we all know is really hot and probably not a good thing long term. I'll post some pics below which may help explain what I'm tryin to say.

The pipes run in parallel from the 1-into-2 cat-back split to the cans.

gallery_5822_825_432153.jpg

This undertail shot shows the pipe routing a little better underneath.

gallery_5822_825_214711.jpg

• Member Contributer
Really Nice work with the Yoshis. Congratulations on getting it all done!, but that vertically mounted reg tag looks really bad IMO. I thought only "Hardly" riders do that kind of thing!

Beck

95 VFR

Hey, I like the inverted plate. And no, it's not just for Harley riders, squids do that a lot too. Wait...that's not any better...CRAP!

I agree though, that an inverted plate would look better mounted on the SSA. It would show off the pipes more.

• Member Contributer
I was so lookin forward to hearin those Yosh sing. The video is down tho.

I do have to say those pipes look good on the bike. It really looks like they could have been made for the Viffer. I would maybe like to see them a little shorter if Yosh actually woulda made them for the bike, but that's being really picky and they still look good the way they are. I know it may be a little late now, but did you consider running the second pipe that goes to the left exhaust up along the first pipe and the rounding it in like the Laser system and Staintunes do it? The reason I ask is the rear wheel may rub on the exhaust pipe which we all know is really hot and probably not a good thing long term. I'll post some pics below which may help explain what I'm tryin to say.

I don't know what is going with youtube. I've tried twice, it confirms upload, then never shows. I'm still trying to figure this out.

As far as the left pipe goes, I designed it more for pure performance and uniqueness than packaging. There is some very light rubbing of the tire at low preload settings, but up the preload for performance riding and the rubbing stops. I also had to put heat tape on the plastic near the 30A fuse holder. If I had my own TIG welder and cut-off saw, I would have put more effort onto packaging, but I did this with a Dremel, and duct tape, then took it to a place to weld. It actually came out great considering.

You're right about Yoshi missing out on producing this back in '04+. There's very little effort/material to adapt this to a VFR. They could have easily competed with Staintunes and 2 Bros. And made a heafty profit at even $700. I made this for less than $500 including the full R1 system. With a proven design and jig the costs could fall to around $300, depending on what one could get the cans for.

Speaking of which, if I could get enough interest to justify buying a TIG, I'd revamp the piping and produce kits. Even if it's just a kit to adapt the cans to your existing aftermarket midpipe. I'd like to see more of these cans on VFR's, they fit the body lines so well.

Now, who thinks I should polish the midpipe or black it out?

Archived