New Yoshimura Vtec Exhaust!

SGVridgerunner

• Member Contributer

Scroll down near the bottom of page 1 for finished photos.

Being a former Yosh intern, I have some biased brand loyalty. Shortly after I purchased my VFR, I started pricing exhausts. Much to my dismay, Yosh does not make an exhaust for the VTEC. What a huge letdown. I searched to see if anyone has adapted a kit, but found nothing. So I started searching - and came across the TRS kit for the '04-'06 Yamaha R1. It's like these cans were made for our bike!

I found an almost new set on Ebay for sub $400, and just got them in. Check it out.

PIC_0042.jpg

VFRyosh5.jpg

VFRyosh4.jpg

PIC_0036.jpg

Now, all I need to do is build a midpipe to adapt it to the cat. I have some collectrs and u-bends from back in the day, but I'm looking for something cleaner.

PIC_0037.jpg

I know I saw an aftermarket kit for the VTEC that is a midpipe with a true dual outlet. I can't remember if it was Micron or Staintune, but that would definately be the easiest way to go. If anyone knows who makes this midpipe let me know. If I can get a sweet deal on these pipes, I might start making adapter kits for the Yoshes if anyone else wants them.

I'll post a sound clip when it's finished. I can't wait!!!

Hmm, why no take the factory exhaust and cut the midpipe off? Would probably be your cheapest route even if you bought a used set on ebay in case you didn't want to cut yours up. I think it would look good but you might need to shorten them some from the picture above, which is also dependant on which y-pipe you use. Looking forward to result!

There is an over sea's company that makes them, its for the whole system, but they might sell just the mid pipe, not sure though. Their website is www. laserexhausts.com make sure if you type in the URL you get the "s" on the end for exhausts or you wont get to the site. Go to bikes and find the VFR800 fi/abs and it will list the 02. Make sure you pick the one that shows the ABS option the fi only will only go to 01.

• Member Contributer
Hmm, why no take the factory exhaust and cut the midpipe off? Would probably be your cheapest route even if you bought a used set on ebay in case you didn't want to cut yours up. I think it would look good but you might need to shorten them some from the picture above, which is also dependant on which y-pipe you use. Looking forward to result!

Thought about it, but since this is going to be a performance exhaust (plus for looks), I want larger diameter piping with the smooth look of an aftermarket pipe.

Yeah, I just bolted them up for pictures. They will be optimized for best fitment during the build.

Well, Hindle makes VTEC exhausts now, and they sell their midpipes seperately from their cans, so there you go, just order their midpipe. They make a great product. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I don't recall for sure but I think it was sebspeed and I discussed via PM's about using R1 pipes last year. Before that I actively looked for yoshi tri-oval pipes on ebay to put on my second vtec. I wanted the dual outlet pipes. IMO, a better choice for the V4 but finding a left (dual system) was fruitless or very expensive. I went LeoVince instead, way more rare where I live.

You could always use the stock mid-pipe and cut the cans off but the Hindle idea sounds like a MUCH better alternative.

I don't recall for sure but I think it was sebspeed and I discussed via PM's about using R1 pipes last year. Before that I actively looked for yoshi tri-oval pipes on ebay to put on my second vtec. I wanted the dual outlet pipes. IMO, a better choice for the V4 but finding a left (dual system) was fruitless or very expensive. I went LeoVince instead, way more rare where I live.

You could always use the stock mid-pipe and cut the cans off but the Hindle idea sounds like a MUCH better alternative.

Not sure Doug, it may have been SeadooLou, I think it was he who was looking into that. I was(and still am) planning to make an exhaust from scratch, I have the perfed cores welded up, I'll make the cans and endcaps in the future, even though I picked up a set of used Staintunes a few months ago. I think I will be using the Hindle midpipe as well, it will be much easier to modify than the stock pipe(starting with a known base material), and should yield much better performance. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the head's up on the Hindle midpipe. I just submitted an e-mail requesting specs. Pricing doesn't appear to be too bad ($400 CAD), I excepted to pay ~ $300US anyway.

I checked out the Leo Vince. It looks kind of weird with the two-piece midpipe that bolts to the passenger foot peg bracket. Plus, it looks like they taper the cans together. I still submitted an e-mail for specs and if they sell it separately, so we'll see.

Thanks again.

• Member Contributer
Not sure Doug, it may have been SeadooLou, I think it was he who was looking into that.

Yup, it was Lou. IIRC, he decided not to go with aftermarket R1's either but he was focusing on debaffled R1 stockers.

I have an extra mid-pipe from Laser's newest Extreme exhaust that's never been used. It's basically a 1-into-2 stainless steel midpipe from the cat. Could work perfect for this project. I'll take a pic of it and post it up later or you can just check my gallery as there are some close-ups there. Lemme know.

- Patrick

gallery_5822_825_8941.jpg

Lasers (Re-Uploaded)

• Member Contributer
I have an extra mid-pipe from Laser's newest Extreme exhaust that's never been used. It's basically a 1-into-2 stainless steel midpipe from the cat. Could work perfect for this project. I'll take a pic of it and post it up later or you can just check my gallery as there are some close-ups there. Lemme know.

- Patrick

Lasers (Re-Uploaded)

I was under the impression that Lasers were 1 - 2 - 4. Do you have any pictures of just the midpipe?

Thanks.

I checked out the Leo Vince. It looks kind of weird with the two-piece midpipe that bolts to the passenger foot peg bracket. Plus, it looks like they taper the cans together. I still submitted an e-mail for specs and if they sell it separately, so we'll see.

The LV's don't really taper together, as there is enough play where the curved Y pipe slips into the exhaust cans to adjust them. This is a rear shot of the LV's on my bike.

gallery_3326_2605_813735.jpg

VFR - LV - Rear.jpg

And this one kind of shows the up-pipe, which has a mounting point to bolt onto the back of the passenger peg mounting plate.

gallery_3326_2605_755415.jpg

VFR - LV - Right Rear.jpg

- Patrick

Lasers (Re-Uploaded)

Gawd I love those pipes.

WTB Lasers or trade my Staintunes for Lasers!

Those yoshi's look amazing on there, I will be waiting upon a solution to getting them hooked up snug so I can check into putting a set on mine!

• Member Contributer

The LV's don't really taper together, as there is enough play where the curved Y pipe slips into the exhaust cans to adjust them. This is a rear shot of the LV's on my bike.

gallery_3326_2605_813735.jpg

VFR - LV - Rear.jpg

And this one kind of shows the up-pipe, which has a mounting point to bolt onto the back of the passenger peg mounting plate.

gallery_3326_2605_755415.jpg

VFR - LV - Right Rear.jpg

Those Yoshi's look schweet!!!

Some more LV's

HPIM4458-1.jpg

HPIM4460.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, I finally got a reply from Hindle (after a week). They don't have any pics or specs about the midpipe, just the material used. Weak sauce! I'm not about to spend $400 on something that I'm not sure will fit.

Thanks for the pics of the LVs. That shows more of what I'm looking for. I just need to find out if they sell the pipe separate.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got around to postin some pics of just the Laser mid-pipe. There's plenty to look at so you should be able to see every angle. This mid-pipe basically splits 1-into-2 right after the cat and leaves you with two side-by-side connections for the pipes in the rear of the bike.

gallery_5822_3037_2352.jpg

gallery_5822_3037_31791.jpg

gallery_5822_3037_12555.jpg

gallery_5822_3037_658.jpg

gallery_5822_3037_15945.jpg

Being a former Yosh intern, I have some biased brand loyalty. Shortly after I purchased my VFR, I started pricing exhausts. Much to my dismay, Yosh does not make an exhaust for the VTEC. What a huge letdown. I searched to see if anyone has adapted a kit, but found nothing. So I started searching - and came across the TRS kit for the '04-'06 Yamaha R1. It's like these cans were made for our bike!

I found an almost new set on Ebay for sub $400, and just got them in. Check it out.

PIC_0042.jpg

VFRyosh5.jpg

VFRyosh4.jpg

PIC_0036.jpg

Now, all I need to do is build a midpipe to adapt it to the cat. I have some collectrs and u-bends from back in the day, but I'm looking for something cleaner.

PIC_0037.jpg

I know I saw an aftermarket kit for the VTEC that is a midpipe with a true dual outlet. I can't remember if it was Micron or Staintune, but that would definately be the easiest way to go. If anyone knows who makes this midpipe let me know. If I can get a sweet deal on these pipes, I might start making adapter kits for the Yoshes if anyone else wants them.

I'll post a sound clip when it's finished. I can't wait!!!

I notice that there's a big gap between the middle of the canisters and the seat faring. I guess that's why Honda had to bend the OEM canister to fill in that space. You might consider painting the stuff under the rear fender/tail all flat black to make less noticable and/or find a way to snug up the canister upward, closer to the fairing to minimize the gap.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Looks like something unique. You know you might as well go ahead and find some 5th gen catless headers since you have it apart anyways. And no, im not getting rid of mine.

• Member Contributer
Well I finally got around to postin some pics of just the Laser mid-pipe. There's plenty to look at so you should be able to see every angle. This mid-pipe basically splits 1-into-2 right after the cat and leaves you with two side-by-side connections for the pipes in the rear of the bike.

gallery_5822_3037_2352.jpg

gallery_5822_3037_31791.jpg

gallery_5822_3037_12555.jpg

gallery_5822_3037_658.jpg

gallery_5822_3037_15945.jpg

I like it!!!

It means more welding for me, but bringing the left pipe up the inside eliminates that crazy U-bend up top. PM me with a price and we'll set something up. Thanks.

Regarding the fifth gen headers, yeah that's another thing that's dragging this project out. I'm doing this right - catless headers and a PCIII. It all adds to the price tag. Plus finding catless headers (the dealer wants $700) is an endeavour all on it's own. I wish people would stop out-bidding me on Ebay. :goofy:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Check it out! First pipe is fitted, I need one U-bend to complete the second, but I now have correct diameters. Thanks to Metalhedd for the collector! :thumbsup:

PIC_0063.jpg

PIC_0065.jpg

PIC_0068.jpg

Final position of the cans

PIC_0069.jpg

And a MotoGP pipe just for fun!

PIC_0070.jpg

PIC_0073.jpg

Video to come

• Member Contributer

I like it... and will definitely be waiting for the results and a sound clip!! Keep up the good work!!

Check it out! First pipe is fitted, I need one U-bend to complete the second, but I now have correct diameters. Thanks to Metalhedd for the collector! :thumbsup:

Video to come

Can't wait to hear it! :thumbsup:

I see you repainted the bike pink in the meantime too? :P

No prob Dave. I see you got everything mocked-up pretty quick. I'm glad I came across an awesome exhaust thread like this and could actually offer some assistance. I'll reiterate what I said in the PM since I'd pretty much end up sayin the same thing and I know how we all worship the VFR around here anyway so here we go...

I just wanted to say that your project to get a Yosh exhaust on the VFR is exemplary of the excellent modders that we have on this site. I'm a big fan of Yosh and I gotta admit that I was impressed when I couldn't find a product in their catalog for our 6th gen VFRs. That fact alone is gonna make your Viffer one of the coolest ones out there. Enjoy it man and I look forward to seeing how this whole project turns out.

So with that said... let's get this project rollin man. We all want to see and more importantly HEAR how this all turns out!

- Patrick

• Member Contributer

Yeah, my wife called me at work the day the collector arrived. I almost bailed early. As soon as I got home the exhaust was off and I was fitting. The wife was a little upset as she was planning to go riding, and came out to a half-dismantled bike, but I told it will be for the better soon.

I'll be ordering the pipe from Burn's on Monday, and I was told that an old buddy from college has a nice TIG welder in his garage. Once I get him scheduled, this thing should fly together.

Archived