Boat Chains, Good Idea Or Not ?

Relentless

Hi Guys

I had this in mind last season and now I've been dwelling on this again..

I've got a scorpio + perimeter alarm, the honda ulock and another chain... I always sleep next to my alarm's pager and the bike is on the lawn chained to a city lamp post...12" across, 40 feet high... so there's a big bright lamp on it a all times. Plus I can see it from my room when I sleep... Now for me short of the bikebrace, this is not enough...

Montreal is one of the worst city for theft..you don't say... <_< and the cops really have run out of ideas... what baitcars are too hard to figure out ?

Now the weak link is the 1inch chain protecting the bike... I'd like to get a *really* big chains... kinda like the ones they use to hold supertankers ? lol not that quite...

I figure REALLY big chains, like 4-5 inches across could probably slow down thieves... plus the honda lock is one tough nut to crack... (european tests demonstrated that)

So, any idea where I could get this ? I've been searching awhile on the net to no avail...

And more to the point, what do you think about this and it's chance of slowing down the thieves... I count on the perimeter/pager alarm to alert me to the theft

Thanks !

and no, I'm not crazy... we can't have guns here to protect our things, and for one am pissed dry of having thieves take whatever they want :rolleyes:

Edited by Relentless

• Member Contributer

euh :rolleyes: get insurance for theft?

From what you've described, you've gone way beyond the cause of duty already.....

What if you get that supertanker chain, what lock will use use? Will the thieves not chp the lamp post?

Do you bring all these locks along on every ride?

To me, you are in a downward spiral that is robbing the pleasure of owning a VFR.....

If they really really want it (because a "client"ordered a model like yours) they will jack it off ya.

Get theft insure, use a few locks and be done with it.

All will be well, insha'allah.... :P

• Member Contributer

uh, move?

do you love the city or the bike more? choose.

i say this because of the stress you put yourself through will shorten your life and make you old before you years.

I agree with the above, you can't get too stressed about the possibility that someone *might* take your bike.

Insurance is cheap. Some people dispute that fact, claiming that their comprehensive insurance premium is too much, well you're paying not only for replacement of the vehicle in the event of theft/accident, but also for peace of mind. Remember what that was? : )

Keep it secured, insure it, forget about it.

Braided steel cable is better than chains, you can't cut it with bolt cutters and not many thieves cart oxy kits around. Most bike shops will stock decent braided cables with hardened steel ends that you can fit padlocks through (I have a 3/4" x 6' cable for the VFR and a 3/8" x 4' cable for the Cannondale MTB).

Also, don't forget that when/if your pager goes off, your response might end up leading to a worse outcome than just losing a motorcycle.

Thanks for you honest opinions ! I should have mentionned that I do have full insurance coverage... by what I wrote you probably could say that I'm a 220volt powered squirrel on caffeine, but I'm just an honest joe who had his wheels stolen twice (another city) a couple of years ago...I don't know why since then I'm really cautious...

Maybe I should take the lock money and put it in for therapy :P

Like I said, it doesn't really stress me, and I would certainly not carry it around. I couldn't see the thieves attacking the 40 foot lamp post..these things are *huge*!

I'd just like to have a slightly better anchor for the bike. And since I know my caracter, the thing I'm most scared of is what I would do if I catch them in the act...maybe that's why I don't have a gun license

so, any places you know ? :D

• Member Contributer

Bike theft was definitely a problem in Québec city as well, but not the VFRs. Gixxers and CBRs were the targets. A cop told me that you are allowed to use reasonable force to protect your properties. Bike lock and chained to a lamp post should discourage the average guys. But if someone really wants it, then they'll get it.

Now think about who will buy the stolen bike/parts. Kids who have no money, and usually they don't ride VFRs. So, with a some protection, I believe you'll be fine.

SG

• Member Contributer

I've had my K100RS stolen, was sick as a pig for days. Every tiem I saw a light blue Flying Brick, I'd follow and check the "tell-tale" dents and scratches.

But then the insurance paid up and I bought a new Guzzi LeMans.

good luck!

Guest Hurryin Hoosier

What happens when somebody wants to steal all your locks?

I had my 2000 RC 51 taken from my possession in 2002, found 27 months late in Orlando totaled with new owner missing a foot

• Member Contributer
I've been dwelling on this again..

we can't have guns here to protect our things

+1 on the fact that you'll just go nuts obsessing about your bike. I know the feeling, my car was badly vandalized twice in 10 months, once while parked in my secured apartment garage. It made me sick for weeks thinking about it.

Then, two weeks ago, some schmuck markered up my buddy's bike. Mine was under cover, 20 feet away and left unmolested. But now I'M worried about it sad.gif

As to the weapon situation, well, this might get this topic too hot, but...trust me, having access to one and judicious use (plus "catching" somebody in the act) are all different things. I figure it's more for the eventual earthquake that will hit LA and the ensuing pandemonium. So, my advice is don't obsess on that one either smile.gif

Bikes, thankfully, are somewhat cheap. It's not a 45k car we're talking about. I hope some of my reasoning helps put your mind at ease smile.gif