Emergency (resolved Thanks Again)

il Duce

• Member Contributer

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CALLED. Someone is going to get them.

Hi,

This is the wife of Duke. Could hispanicslammer or baileyrock or anyone knowledageble about sixth generation VFRs, please call Duke at 504-251-6074. It's Sunday evening. He is in the middle of nowhere and his riding buddy just got ran off the road. He thinks they need some electrical help to keep the bike running so they can get home.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Hey, this is Duke's wife again. Duke and his friend are still stranded and no one has called him yet. Allen's interceptor got ran off the road by a car. He highsided the top of the bike. THe bike pushed him down the highway. His gear saved him and he is okay, but now they are trapped in the middle of Arkansas. The bike will start and they think it is rideable. But, everytime they put it in gear, it dies, like the kickstand is down. Does anyone have any idea why it won't stay running? They really need help, it's getting dark. If anyone can call and help, Duke's number is 504-251-6074.

THank you, thank you, thank you.

Hey, this is Duke's wife again. Duke and his friend are still stranded and no one has called him yet. Allen's interceptor got ran off the road by a car. He highsided the top of the bike. THe bike pushed him down the highway. His gear saved him and he is okay, but now they are trapped in the middle of Arkansas. The bike will start and they think it is rideable. But, everytime they put it in gear, it dies, like the kickstand is down. Does anyone have any idea why it won't stay running? They really need help, it's getting dark. If anyone can call and help, Duke's number is 504-251-6074.

yes it is almost 100% the kickstand switch, tell them to check if it is only a two wire switch, than by just connecting the two wires together will complete the circuit and keep the bike running.

• Member Contributer

yes it is almost 100% the kickstand switch, tell them to check if it is only a two wire switch, than by just connecting the two wires together will complete the circuit and keep the bike running.

I just talked to Duke. They are still stranded. It does not seem to be the kickstand switch. He noted that the clutch is badly bent so maybe there might be something which is disconnecting the power...

He still needs help...

I feel useless... anyone?

Martina

• Member Contributer

THANKS, Duke got some calls. We appreciate everyone's help. They have someone going with a trailer to get the bike home.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Just saw the post.

Remove the wires to the clutch switch and tie 'em together. Then make damn sure it's in neutral before you start it.

Might need to open the kickstand switch also.

The VFRs have a internal switch that gets activated when you drop the bike. I think it is called the tip switch or something like that.

I cannot find it in the service manual, but it is in the owners manual, which is at home. (im at work). If I remember correctly, he would have to turn the key off for a specific amount of time and maybe a specific number of times to reset the switch.

• Member Contributer

Hey. It's me, Duke. I am home. I haven't heard from Allen (ArkansasAllen on VFRD) yet. He is in a truck with his dad, and the bike is on a trailer. I rode home... in the DARK! Hate that. I am so thankful for the help and the calls. What a good family we have here.

So I am sure you are dying to know what happened.

Allen and I drove across the state yesterday, went to a crawfishboil/party in Rogers, AR, then rode back to Little Rock today. We christened this particular route "The Journey," and henceforth all other rides will be compared to "The Journey." It was possibly the bestest ride I have ever been on, covereing every type of road Arkansas has to offer. We tore up Ponca, Mt. Judea, Highway 16, and more. Beautiful day... I finaly got the machine layed completely over where the back end kind of changes feel and starts to do a little controled slide. That was wild! No more chicken strips now!

Anyhow, we make it through all of the technical and challenging stuff, and we are about an 40 minutes from home, cruising along at around 50mph through Greenbriar, AR going south on Hwy 65. Straight. Boring. Staggered formation, me in the front. I pass this big duel-ie Chevy truck towing a big trailer full of lawn equipment; we are in the right lane, truck in the left. After I pass, the truck decides that he wants to turn right into a neighborhood. Well, Allen is about where the trailer hitch is. No where to go. The truck runs him off the road. There was a big cement curb there, so the front wheel went full lock to the right. Allen goes over the bars to the left and lands on his face and shoulder, the bike flips behind him, and pushes him down the road until friction does its work on inertia.

Get this. I am completely unaware. I look in my mirrors to check on my friend, and he is just not there. I panic, turn around and start hauling ass north. About a mile down the road I see him and the truck and some other cars on the side of the road. I was like What the f? After all of that twisty riding, how on Earth could you wreck here?

Allen is fine. Walking around evaluating the carnage, picking up the pieces. Where his face would have hit the pavement there is a huge worn down destruction of a helmet. Left side of his leather jacket all scuffed up, but it held up. Textile pants are pretty torn up so he has some small brushburns on the tops of his knees, but they are small, and almost like rug burn. Nothing.

PEOPLE. Gear works. Always wear it. Could you imagine how f*cked up he would be without any one piece of that gear? Unbelievable. 80% of the riders in Arkansas wear nothing. That's so cool; I'll bet those folks would feel really cool bleeding on the side of the road. We were not horsing around or sportbiking it up. We were just driving in traffic, just like all those cruiser harley guys do. Sh!t can happen out of nowhere! And concrete will MESS YOU UP, BAD. I am here to testify! I have seen it on this day. Gear works. Oh, and I am getting rid of my mesh summer jacket. All that the mesh does is give you a false sense of security It will fail; it did fail. Leather is the only way to go. I can't belive I have been using textile mesh. It's BS.

He tells me the above wreck story when we were waiting for a ride, but it took awhile for him to piece it all together, shock and all that. Oh, and his shoulder was starting to hurt a bit. ...probably from the impact.

NOW GET THIS:

The truck admits his guilt to the cops. Apologizes to both of us. Allen is walking around in shock. I am too. Almost lost a friend. Then everybody leaves. No citation. No responsibility to the truck. The cops said no collision occured so it was just an "accident." WTF? If the truck would have run him over, then it would be the truck's fault, but since Allen got out of the way, he is responsible for the damage! (any lawyers in here) Hello? I am pretty pissed. Oh, and I'm sure his wife is going to love the idea of him riding a motorcycle again :goofy: :goofy:

He just called. He's home. I'm home. Once perfect 2003 Silver Interceptor WITH honda factory luggage is in the garage on a trailer, and it's cosmetically TOAST. Son of a buck! ...and we missed the Sopranos. Crap.

We are alive! ALIVE I SAY! Sometimes it's good to be reminded.

Any advice?

Thanks Again,

Duke

P.S. We wired the kickstand switch together. It still wouldn't run while in gear. We tested it both with a closed and open circuit. No dice.

• Member Contributer

Manual says:

" Before restarting the engine, you must turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and then back to ON. The engine will not restart until you perform this procedure."

The TO isn't the problem here by what the posts say. The engine starts and only dies when gear engaged.

The safety circuit is (among other things) a clutch switch, kickstand switch and neutral switch. If the green light goes on and off, the neutral sw is ok. If the sidestand light goes on and off, it isn't the kickstand. This leaves the microswitch in the clutch lever perch.

Earlier post indicates this perch is damaged. So, There are the wires that need to be attended to. (If I remember rightly, they need to be connected (Closed) not disconnected, like the kickstand sw.

• Member Contributer

No advice, just glad to hear you made it back.

I think, that cop may have screwed you. I think, that is wreckless driving and they deserved a ticket. I'm afraid that without the ticket, you may have no case against anyone?

Disclaimer: I am in no way part of, or educated in, the legal system.

• Member Contributer

Call an injury lawyer. Most will listen for free and if you have a case they will take it from there. No citation does not mean the truck driver was not responsible. Get the police report. It will have to contain all drivers involved and the admittance of guilt should also be included. I am no lawyer but I have taken enough careless drivers insurance money to buy my last 2 bikes and gear since the law won't do what's right for what ever reason.

Glad to hear everyone is all right and make sure your friend gets checked out. When the shock wears off he may be in for some real unpleasant surprises. Remember, internal bleeding doesn't hurt. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

il Duce, glad to hear Allen's ok.

Bit of a wakeup on gear, guess that new

leather jacket I'm buying will have

armour in it after reading your post.

• Member Contributer

I just got back from a ride myself, sorry to hear about what happened but very glad everyone is ok. Keep us informed on how things turn out.

glad all are 'ok'. i bet this morning will reveal plenty of soreness, but hopefully nothing more serious.

i am truly amazed at the cops reply. i get tired of hearing about the bikes that get blamed for anything possible and the cages always seem to get away clean....

not a fair world is it....

• Member Contributer

Too late now but a demand to call in the police Sargent or a superior officer may have turned the tide. Did you get the truck drivers license? You may still have a slight chance of retribution but only slight.

• Member Contributer

A similar, but less severe thing happened to me on my wife's R6. A lady started making a left in front of me at an intersection - she stopped with the nose of her car almost completely across my lane. I managed to avoid the car, but too much brake + greasy center of lane + my inexperience on the R6 caused a lowside. She admitted fault and apologized, but the cop said "no contact, no ticket". Most of the damage was cosmetic, and I was okay except for a slightly torn calf muscle (ATGATT), so I didn't pursue it further. Obviously, Allen's situation is more serious. I'm curious to see what happens....

Sorry to hear about the incident - glad you guys made it home.

Brian

First off I'm glad to hear your OK and that the gear did the job.

On the topic of the bike not starting when put in gear even after wiring the switch closed. On my '91 I was replaceing the chain and getting the cover off was difficut because of the wireing from the kickstand switch went over or near the cover that it caught the cover. I tuged to get a little extra slack in the wiring. When I put everything back to gether I had the same problem it sounds like you are having. I found that under the seat next to the rear left side pannel there was a connector that had come unpluged that was the side stand swithch. Check it, perhaps in the crash it came unpluged.

Archived