Rcbvfr Frankenviffer Texas Style

FotoMoto

• Member Contributer
:lurk:

Good stuff here

So am i right, a cbr/rr clock will slip right in place of my 4th gen clock?

Or do i simply need a speedo healer to make good?(never used or seen one of them before)

A how do sheet with out all the fluff would be awsome.

Yes you will need a Speed O Healer. I have not got one yet and you will also need a different ECT sensor (2 wire set up). Good luck and get some pictures up when done.

I am looking forward to getting this done and riding again. I want to say thanks FotoMoto again for all your help!

Keep at it!

Travis.

• Member Contributer
:lurk:

Good stuff here

So am i right, a cbr/rr clock will slip right in place of my 4th gen clock?

Or do i simply need a speedo healer to make good?(never used or seen one of them before)

A how do sheet with out all the fluff would be awsome.

No, the cbr1000rr clock doesn't bolt to the stock fairing bracket (stay) so you'd need some kind of adapter plate or brackets. Plus it's a LOT smaller so you'd have some unsightly gaps with the stock 4gen plastics.

You need version 4 of the speedohealer. The older versions don't have the wide range of adjustments needed. BTDT

You would also need the cbr headlight/instrument panel harness that plugs into the back of the gauge. All this involves cutting off and splicing into the main harness; not for the timid to say the least.

• Member Contributer
No, the cbr1000rr clock doesn't bolt to the stock fairing bracket (stay) so you'd need some kind of adapter plate or brackets. Plus it's a LOT smaller so you'd have some unsightly gaps with the stock 4gen plastics.

You need version 4 of the speedohealer. The older versions don't have the wide range of adjustments needed. BTDT

You would also need the cbr headlight/instrument panel harness that plugs into the back of the gauge. All this involves cutting off and splicing into the main harness; not for the timid to say the least.

gettin a bit over techy 4 me now..... less is more in my eye,,,,, the unit will sit on a Ducati cast front subframe so will be mounted to sit right. will look fine am sure.

no speedo healer here in uk i know of.....

wiring is no probs for me.....

considering an after market unit, but havent found one am happy with as yet.... +1.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

A few more mods: CBR1000RR radial front brakes via custom mounts, RC51 clip ons, and RC51 footpeg assemblies. Just got it back together tonight so I haven't ridden it yet but did butt test it in the garage. :beer: The pegs are about in the same location but IMO look better/more modern and replace damaged/rusted stockers. I could have re-installed my buell footpegs but after owning an RC51 for the past year, they now feel too low. The altered clipons are closer to me and have a better angle. The brakes stopped it when I pushed it outside. :blush:

The business end of the new rotor chompers.

vfr002-Copy.jpg

CBR radial master cylinder mounted on the RC51 clipons. With the fork tubes raised, I had enough room to mount these ABOVE the triple. I reversed them (left is now the right) and bent the angle to my liking with a cheater pipe. :cool:

vfr008.jpg

The footpeg hangers are about 1 to 1.5mm off in bolt spacing but slightly enlarging the holes of the RC units with the next size drill bit did the trick. The rubber footpegs are aftermarket as the stock RC pegs are bare metal. Gear change assembly went on easily; I only had to space the entire mount out about 20mm for the shift rod to clear the frame spar. NOTE: with a shorter rod you could easily go to GP shift if you prefer.

vfr005-Copy.jpg

The rear brake side also bolted on after enlarging the holes but the heat shield needs adjusting. There is a gap at the front letting out more heat so I'll need to address that; probably with a CF solution. I still need to cut off the large holes on both sides. These were the mid-pipe exhaust mounts on the RC and aren't needed here.

vfr004-Copy.jpg

Hard to believe it's really a 96. :fing02:

vfr021.jpg

• Member Contributer

WOW, Doug that looks GREAT!!!! :cool: It all looks so clean and OEM that is awesome.

One day when I grow up and learn a few things, maybe I can be like you. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Nice work. :goofy:

Might have to look at using VTR rearsets myself if your findings are true.

My rearset guy has not come up with the goods this time, so a bit of lateral thinking, fleabay and hope to have replacement controls very soon....

• 7 months later...

Gazman, your 3gen streetfighter is MAGNIFICO! :biggrin: Did the RX2 tachometer function not work properly? That was the only thing the RX1 didn't solved or I would have kept it. My 4gen coolant sensor didn't work correctly with the cbr gauge but the KOSO sensor did so I'm using that one. A cbr temperature sensor might bolt onto the vfr thermostat but I don't know that for a fact and am just guessing. You will also need a speedohealer version 4 (latest) to calibrate the speedometer correctly.

Ok, so I finally got the KOSO Sensor in the mail yesterday, opened up the package, and was quite surprised to see how small it was. Wasn't exactly what I was thinking it was going to be. I thought it would replace the sensor on the aft, left side of the radiator. I'm not sure where this thing goes, can you guys help me out, and point me in the right direction, as I really don't see where this smaller sensor goes. Thanks!!!

Doug(in TX), those footpegs look exactly like my oem F4i footpegs - with the threaded boss for the feeler and all!

Doug(in Germany) - I think KOSO wants that sensor mounted in one of your coolant pipes, but I don't know the specifics. Have you tried doing a google search to see how others have done it?

Doug(in TX), those footpegs look exactly like my oem F4i footpegs - with the threaded boss for the feeler and all!

Doug(in Germany) - I think KOSO wants that sensor mounted in one of your coolant pipes, but I don't know the specifics. Have you tried doing a google search to see how others have done it?

A google search...DUH!!! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll do that, google is my friend, and I use it alot, not sure why I didn't think of it for this application. I think I was shocked at the tiny little sensor that I got in the mail, that it short circuited my logic circuits. Thanks for bringing me back to the real world, and I'll be hitting up google shortly!!!

• Member Contributer

Doug: The koso sensor threads into the thermostat housing. It replaces the stock unit. Hope you have small hands! :biggrin: The sensor on the rad is the fan switch. Best to leave that alone if you want a fully functioning cooling system! :cool:

Seb: Yes, those are aftermarket F4i footpegs (HK knockoffs). They bolt right onto the RC hangers. Years ago, I tried them on my first 4gen as the original metal pegs were slippery plus I wanted to try reducing vibrations with a rubber peg. To get them to fit I needed to grind down the peg's mounting width a slight tad (technical term) to fit the narrower vfr hanger assemblies; no changes needed to pins or springs, etc.

Seb: Yes, those are aftermarket F4i footpegs (HK knockoffs). They bolt right onto the RC hangers. Years ago, I tried them on my first 4gen as the original metal pegs were slippery plus I wanted to try reducing vibrations with a rubber peg. To get them to fit I needed to grind down the peg's mounting width a slight tad (technical term) to fit the narrower vfr hanger assemblies; no changes needed to pins or springs, etc.

Nice, I knew I recognized them. :cool: I still have mine(put anodized pegs on the CBR), and was thinking of using them on a 96. Good to know they can fit with a little persuasion! :biggrin:

Doug: The koso sensor threads into the thermostat housing. It replaces the stock unit. Hope you have small hands! :biggrin: The sensor on the rad is the fan switch. Best to leave that alone if you want a fully functioning cooling system! :cool:

Thanks for the location of the sensor! I really didn't know where to put it looking at what I thought was the temp sending unit. Glad I asked before I ordered a different part, and started taking stuff completely part.

As far as rear sets go, I'm currently experimenting with some R-1 rear sets. The bolt pattern is the same, although they are a little long, and will impact the swing arm with out any spacers installed. There are a few different work-arounds that I'm toying with right now, just gotta decide which direction that I want to go in. I might also look at F4i rear sets, as I didn't know those would fit...

I might also look at F4i rear sets, as I didn't know those would fit...

Doug, FM and I were talking about the footpegs only, not the entire footrest/bracket. That does give me an idea though, I can measure my F4i bracket for you and see if it will work on the 4th gen. I'll let you know later tonight(if I forget, PM me!)

• Member Contributer

Doug, FM and I were talking about the footpegs only, not the entire footrest/bracket. That does give me an idea though, I can measure my F4i bracket for you and see if it will work on the 4th gen. I'll let you know later tonight(if I forget, PM me!)

I checked once with an ebay vendor if F4i rearsets would work with the 6gen and they said no (off by several mm). Don't know if they would fit the 4gen.

I checked once with an ebay vendor if F4i rearsets would work with the 6gen and they said no (off by several mm). Don't know if they would fit the 4gen.

I do know that R-1 rear sets will fit, although they're a little long on the left side, as they rub against the swing arm. I'm working with a vendor to see of he has shorted mid-plates to install instead. If not, I have 3 possible solutions. Being that my VFR is becoming more and more of a track monster, adjustable rear sets are really something that I could use. FWIW the spacing on the 4th Gen mount bolts is 79mm, so any that have a 79mm spacing will be a start in the right direction. I really wanted to fit RC-51 rear sets, but they're spacing was too narrow if I remember right.

Well, I checked last night by holding a 4th gen right side bracket against my F4i's bracket - the F4i has a smaller spacing. I didn't measure the exact difference, but it's enough that simply drilling out the holes wouldn't do the trick(I wouldn't want to, that is). They're off by at least 10mm - if the 4th gen spacing is 79mm, then the F4i is closer to 69.

Well, I checked last night by holding a 4th gen right side bracket against my F4i's bracket - the F4i has a smaller spacing. I didn't measure the exact difference, but it's enough that simply drilling out the holes wouldn't do the trick(I wouldn't want to, that is). They're off by at least 10mm - if the 4th gen spacing is 79mm, then the F4i is closer to 69.

Cool, thanks for checking!!! I won't be able to use them, but someone else may need that data!

A few more mods: CBR1000RR radial front brakes via custom mounts, RC51 clip ons, and RC51 footpeg assemblies. Just got it back together tonight so I haven't ridden it yet but did butt test it in the garage. :rolleyes: The pegs are about in the same location but IMO look better/more modern and replace damaged/rusted stockers. I could have re-installed my buell footpegs but after owning an RC51 for the past year, they now feel too low. The altered clipons are closer to me and have a better angle. The brakes stopped it when I pushed it outside. :wheel:

The footpeg hangers are about 1 to 1.5mm off in bolt spacing but slightly enlarging the holes of the RC units with the next size drill bit did the trick. The rubber footpegs are aftermarket as the stock RC pegs are bare metal. Gear change assembly went on easily; I only had to space the entire mount out about 20mm for the shift rod to clear the frame spar. NOTE: with a shorter rod you could easily go to GP shift if you prefer.

vfr005-Copy.jpg

What year and model did your shifter arm come from? I ordered one for/from a CBR900RR, and it doesn't give me a big enough offset to clear the water pump. This is my biggest issue right now for my rear sets. On another note, I was able to get the wiring harness from the CBR1000RR Gauges spliced in, now I just need to get the gauges back in the mail, and get a battery and that should be that for the gauges.

• Member Contributer

What year and model did your shifter arm come from?

RC51; all years are the same. I had to space the rearsets out about 20mm for linkage clearance.

• 1 month later...

I JUST PUT MY WHOLE BIKE TOGETHER, I'LL PROBABLY TAKE OFF THE STAND FOR NOW, AND MY RADIATOR NEEDS TO BE INCHED OVER TO THE LEFT, I USED THE CBR LIGHTS WITH THE VFR WIRING SO I ONLY HAVE HIGH BEAMS AND WHEN I SWITCH TO LOWS IT JUST TURNS THEM OFF BUT NO WINKING EYE PROBLEM, SAVED ME WIRING TIME LOL...THE ONLY THING MY BIKES MISSING IS THE DASH PLASTICS AND THE GAUGES WHICH I SHOULD HAVE ALL THAT IN A WEEK OR TWO, THIS WEEKEND I GOT A BRAND NEW REAR TIRE, AND A USED TIRE ON THE FRONT, AND MIGHT BE GETTING NEW CHAIN AND SPROCKET(TRYING A 15/45 AS WELL), PICS WILL BE UP THIS WEEKEND, STAY TUNED! :beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer

OK ladies and gents I think I'm through with it. Of late I've added a new upper from the 2005 cbr600rr which has a much neater air intake over the 03/04 cheese grater design I used previously. The black plastic intake needed some minor trimming to clear the oil cooler seen in the background.

gallery_611_2920_195354.jpg

But what I'm really liking are the new side covers. These were also pirated from the 600rr but greatly cut down to fit. I had to make some minor brackets for the bottom bolt and the upper tank screw utilizes a slightly new design. I now realize I don't have the closeup pics of those on this computer so I'll add them later. Anyway this is the finished look as of today approx. 3 years later. I can't believe it's been that long.

gallery_611_2920_89038.jpg

Poke it with a fork, I think it's FINALLY DONE! :fing02: