Starter Valve Syncronization - 5th Gen

• Forum CEO

What are starter valves

manual.jpg

• Starter valves are valves that take air from the air cleaner and bypass that air directly into the intake chamber of each cylinder, in-place of a choke.
  • There are 4 Starter Valves 3 are adjustable and one is factory set

Why Syncronze them?

• Hard Starting
  • Lumpy Idle
  • Incorrect Idle speed

What Tools Do I Need

• Electronic Tachometer that can read +50- RPM
  • Vacume pressure Gauge for 4 cylinders +1- cmHg, tube to tube nipples-I used the metal carb tubes from the Motion Pro tool.
  • Boxed end wrenches 7mm, 8mm
  • OEM tool kit
  • Clamp or Cap for PAIR Reed Valves (2)

sync01.jpg

First Start up the bike and warm it up to normal temp

sync02.jpg

Remove the tool kit and take out the rear shock spanner and the leverage handle, these will be used to hold up the tank.

sync03.jpg

Remove the front tank screws and replace one back into the frame, slide the bottom of the leverage handle over the screw to keep it from poping out while the tank is propped up by the spanner.

sync04.jpg

From the left side locate vacume tubes #1 and #2, note their position, (they are marked on the side of the tube what number they are) and remove them from the air cleaner

sync05.jpg

From the right side do the same thing with #3 and #4 tubes, connect these tubes to your vacume tool

sync06.jpg

I used the steel carb tubes that came with the tool, making sure to have the tube # the same as the tool cylinder #

reed.jpg

Locate the PAIR Reed valve on top of the cylinder head.

sync07.jpg

cap it off. There is one on the both cylinder heads

sync08.jpg

I used ordinary bench crimp type clamps because I did not have a cap to put over the reed valves, it does the same thing. Make sure it is clamped off good but dont damage the tubes.

sync09.jpg

Hook up your Tach - mine is a Equus, I found that it can be set to 8 cylinders for finer tach sensitivity, you just have to divide the displayed number by 2, (shown it is set to 4 cylinders)

sync10.jpg

Hook up the battery lead to the positive terminal of the battery.

sync11.jpg

Hook up the inductive lead of the tach to the spark plug wire from the #1 coil on top, to spark plug lead #1, left side under the tank, (see the throttle cable assembly for help finding it.)

sync12.jpg

Turn the throttle stop screw till the RPM is set to 1,200 for a 98 and 1,300 for 99-01 plus or minus 100 rpm, Mine was WAY off it was set to 2000 and the tach on the gauge was showing 1500. Again I set my tach to 8 cylinders for fine adjustments.

sync13.jpg

My valves were off from what it should be, #1 was higher than all the rest.

sync14.jpg

Note the tight clearance of the starter valves to the frame, you cant fit a screw driver (this is on the right side of the bike)

sync15.jpg

You can use boxed end wrenches to get to them, a 7 mm for the starter valves and an 8 mm for the throttle screw, first thing I did was promply drop the 8mm down into the starter valve area, took 5 minutes to fish it out LOL.

sync16.jpg

Set all the starter valves to be equal with #1,( this is the best I could do) Once this is done make sure your RPM have not changed if they have turn the throttle screw back to the correct RPM

The starter valves have a plastic bushing that has teeth on them, they click into postion when the valve is turned, the teeth just fall into place, make note that the valves are not set tight and it is very easy to get them out of position, the only thing that holds them is the friction of the teeth.

(pictured left to right 1,2,3,4)

sync17.jpg

Turn the #3 starter valve until the #3 cylinder has dropped 2 cmHg from #1, take note of the RPM and set it correctly if it has changed.

(this thing was dancing around while the motor was running but thats the pic I took)

(turn the starter valves right to reduce and left to increase)

sync18.jpg

Turn the #4 starter valve untill the #4 cylinder has dropped 1cmHg from #1

replace the vacume tubes back into the aircleaner, unclamp the pair, put the tank back.

Hey your done!!!!

sync19.jpg

I always remove the mercury from the tool cause I dont want to get poisened from a leak. Put it into a glass jar!

• 8 years later...

HS... sorry to bother but I don't get the following sentence... am I to make two connections here or is the part in bold just an accidental repeat????

sync11.jpg

Hook up the inductive lead of the tach to the spark plug wire from the #1 coil on top, to spark plug lead #1, left side under the tank, (see the throttle cable assembly for help finding it.)