Another Strange Electrical Issue

Guest VFRbar

Guest VFRbar

Was time to replace the battery and I did the 30A fuse wire fix while I was at it. Results... bike runs so much better, even better than when new. The wire and fuse were both fine and did not have any major signs of heat stress. Over the past year, I have been having surging problems right in the 4-5k range, this fixed that problem completely. I was also having an odd problem where the bike would idle at 1200 rpms in neutral but when I would put it in gear, the idle would jump to around 2k. Also fixed that issue. So you would think all would be good. Not quite...

When the cooling fan kicks on, instead of the humming (or whirring) sound it used to make, it now makes a much louder buzzing sound. I'm wondering if this is the same buzzing sound problem that others were having. But I don't lose any electrical power, my lights stay on fine, no problems whatsoever other than the loud buzz. Perhaps this is completely normal and that my electrical system was in need of a boost in order for the fan to work properly. But I doubt it. My biggest concern is that I was planning to do a long (1000 miles total) ride starting tomorrow. I'm worried that the buzzing is a sign of something bad. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Any chance a foreign object fell into the fan shroud while you were working on it? Only other fix I'd suggest you make is jumpo a ground wire to the green wire - at the BLUE connector on the left sid e- before the connector- and after. that'll make sure you are grounded well up front.

I'll check on the foreign objects in the morning. Guess it could not hurt to go ahead and do the BLUE connector fix as well. Hopefully, this will solve my dilemma. Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived