Polished 8 Spoke And Front

Silver#788

• Member Contributer

Does anyone else like this look. I am way happy. $225 for 8 spoke wheel with light damage shipped. $100 to repair damaged wheel. $450 to get the wheels and fork tubes polished. I got the wheels today and am still waiting on the forks.

P4200158.jpg

• Member Contributer

Chroming is WAY better than polishing when it comes to upkeep. Polishing is WAY better than chrome when it comes to unsprung weight. Pick your poison.

Looks pretty good although flash photography doesn't do polished alloy any favours!

If you want to seal them, I've recently heard that POR-15 has a good clearcoat available - but I know nothing about it.

I use Nyalic, which is fantastic, it doesn't go yellow over time like most clear finishes. And it's super easy to apply. Only problem is that it's pricey, but the cheaper stuff just isn't up to the job.

Looking forward to the assembled shots.

• Member Contributer

You could have them powdercoated in clear. Might keep them shiny longer?

They look good now, regardless.

• Member Contributer
You could have them powdercoated in clear. Might keep them shiny longer?

They look good now, regardless.

Yeah, you definitely want to protect them. I went through this with a polished frame/swingarm on my SuperHawk. I got a two bottle metal polish/sealant system for about $40 that worked OK. Clear powdercoating is a great idea. That will push the total cost past chroming but it will be lighter.

• Member Contributer

Looks good, but damn that was pricey.

You should have hired a couple tweekers to polish up the wheels, probably could have saved $400 on that part :thumbsup:

Guest dirtydizzogg

Looks totally sweet. They are a B to keep shiny, My wheels are evidence of that. However when shined up they look awesome.

Congrats,

Dirtydizzogg

• Member Contributer

To answer your question, yes I like the look. I wouldn't do it myself as I couldn't deal with the upkeep. But it looks HOT :thumbsup:

$400 YIKES!!! I now know I will be powdercoating mine!!!! I just got my helibars p-coated for about $40, and I think the guy said he charges $60 a wheel. Anyways back on topic, they look great!!!

Mine cost $400AUD back in 1999 and the guys who did it said they'd never do it again for less than $600AUD - they were used to doing flat disc Fatboy wheels... there's a lot of work involved, even with machines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I wish I knew the name but there's a liquid stuff that you can put on polished metal/aluminum/chrom and it'll seal the pores. It came out a few years ago. The big seller for it was for chrome wheels. I also saw it on teh car shows on Spike TV.

• Member Contributer
I wish I knew the name but there's a liquid stuff that you can put on polished metal/aluminum/chrom and it'll seal the pores. It came out a few years ago. The big seller for it was for chrome wheels. I also saw it on teh car shows on Spike TV.

zoop seal ?

• Member Contributer

Providing I get my r/r replaced tommorow I am down for a good ride anytime. My r1 r/r came in today and it took me 2 hours to get the fins cut off and get it filed straight to my liking