Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

• Member Contributer

Oh, regarding the relocation of the foglights, Xerox what are you running?

I have Piaa 1100x's which I'm going to mould into the factory signal light holes.

I plan to separate the lenses from the signals and try using the plastic base with tabs to mount the light brackets to.

Guest xerox

I will have to post up the pics of what I have done so far, unfortunately the Army has me in PA, and I do not have the pics here..I will be home on the 12th and will post a full report//

I will say this: I am not really picky about factory looks, and like the appeal of hand built stuff, many may not like my approach, but it works and it doubled as fog light mounts

• Member Contributer

Darth Bling, did you run the wiring through the tiny hole right BESIDE the hollow rivet? If so, how does one prevent damage to the wiring when you fold the mirrors? I can't see much there; my mirrors are still in one piece until I figure this all out......

• Member Contributer
If the mount turns out well, I'd be interested and help defray the cost if you'd consider producing a 2nd set. I've been thinking about doing this mod as well. Ron
Doh! I just got my GSXR mirrors in today and missed a mighty important detail. The mounts bolt downwards where the VFR's mounts side ways. :o Thus the use of the Thurn mounting kit making it easy for Darth Bling. Oh, the road to wisdom is a long one. No worries though, I have a ME buddy whom I think would be able to make a mount in no time for the right price. :salesman:

I will update when/if this works out.

Shhhhh....don't tell anyone but I mentioned the fact that there might be others interested in the bracket and my friend is considering that as an interesting offering depending on cost/time and such. We are both full time students and this won't be happening until the end of finals week (May 11th). If this does happen it will be a short run on definite buyers. No, I am not taking orders. I am just making anyone interested AWARE of this POSSIBLE opportunity. I will update more when we know more about what is entailed. :thumbsup:

Darth Bling, did you run the wiring through the tiny hole right BESIDE the hollow rivet? If so, how does one prevent damage to the wiring when you fold the mirrors? I can't see much there; my mirrors are still in one piece until I figure this all out......

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner...

Yes, I ran the wire through the little hole besides the hollow rivet. I enlarged the hole a bit and smoothed out the rough edges with a Dermal grounding bit. I also enlarged the hole on the Thurn mirror mounts, cut the black cover off from the wires to give the wires a bit more room, and I stuck a couple of washers in between the mirror mounts and the GSXR stocks. The mirrors can actually rotate 45° each direction without binding the wires. :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about it some, and I know there's a better way to mount the mirrors. I've got a few designs in my head that would work, but I need to get in touch with a CNC shop to find out how much it'll cost to make some custom mounts (unless vanion2 beats me too it and his friends makes some mounts). wink.gif I really don't think I'll get anything done this month since I've got a lot of work to do on my bike in anticipation for my first track day in June, but there's a good chance I could get something fabbed up for wholesale by the end of the summer. :blink:

• Member Contributer
I've been thinking about it some, and I know there's a better way to mount the mirrors. I've got a few designs in my head that would work, but I need to get in touch with a CNC shop to find out how much it'll cost to make some custom mounts (unless vanion2 beats me too it and his friends makes some mounts). wink.gif I really don't think I'll get anything done this month since I've got a lot of work to do on my bike in anticipation for my first track day in June, but there's a good chance I could get something fabbed up for wholesale by the end of the summer. :blink:

Whew! Good to know considering I only have a 3 week window before summer session begins and my girl and I are house hunting. :blink: You may beat me to it and I will end up on your list. :goofy: :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Yeah, somebody save me the trouble of having to fab my own mounts. I was at my local dealer a little while ago looking at their GSXR's to see how the mirrors mount. I thought they were set up to mount on a flat (horizontal) surface and that was confirmed by my visit.

Please help me...I'm trying to bling!!! :goofy:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump! Any updates on getting these mounts? I would like to try a set on my 97. I will try contacting Thurn to get the mounts /converion done easy...others should do the same to show Thurn we have others intrested and may be worth their time to get a few sets for us. This is the e-mail addrss I'm sending my request for a set also.

info@thurn-motorsport.de

....Group purchase..?...discount....? :thumbsup:

The GSX-R mirrors look great - great mod and great write up!

Has anyone tried the CBR1100 Blackbird mirrors on a VFR?

Can be done, bodywork is required as the mounting surfaces of the upper fairing do not match the profile, area etc of the BB mirrors.

FYI long ago some one modified a set of BB mirrors and found out they are not long enough to see around his elbows and was not happy with his efforts even though they looked cool/just like NR mirrors. The GSXR mirrors is the way to do it to gain the same mirrior use as stock mirrors (be able to see behind your self) with the Thurn mounts to make it easy. FYI in my e-mail to Thurn I also asked if they can not help me to please let me know how to contact the makers of the mirrors to see if I can convince the makers to sell just the mounts.....others please do the same. I have a set of Y2k mirrors with mirror base extenders like these

http://www.1cruiser.com/sa/p/Honda_VFR800_...2_-_Current.htm

on my 97 and like the way I can see behind me. Eh Darth Bling, Can I do the same with the way you mentioned or does it bring the mirrors out just as far?

Edited by Joe Foe from Buffalo

• Member Contributer

A couple weeks ago I tried the GSXR mirror mod on my white 06 and when I went out to the garage in the morning, this is what had happened:

http://picasaweb.google.com/wgnorman/Bikes...807311370926898

Thanks for the tip...runs like a new machine! :thumbsup:

Guest hustond

Nice mod! Keep us updated on the mounts, my 97 would like them! Though I'm not hoping for the full conversion like wgnorman.

• Member Contributer

My buddy and I are going to look the bike over this coming weekend and see what we need to get a few projects done. The GSXR mirrors that have been sitting in the garage go with me and I will update when we have something in the works. He works 3 jobs and is rebuilding two Nissan 240 Sylvias for track/drifting events so finding time has been quite a challenge. :joystick:

I have a reply from Thurn below.

To: "Joe Foe" <joefoefrombuffalo@yahoo.com>

Subject: Re: Mirror Mounts?

Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 06:26:55 +0200

hello Joe,

thanks for your email.

From company, we get the mirrors from. only the mirrors completetely available.

When you will order 20 pairs of this base of mirror, we can built them for you for the Suzuki mirrors (mirror required)

kind regards

Thurn Motorsport

1) Who else will purchase them (we need 19 more)

2) Darth Bling please give us detials on the exact part of the base we will need. I think I'm wrong when I all ready asked Thurn for these.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/954609/

So we can save on costs and only get what we need.

3) I all replied to Thurn asking how much they will cost (with shipping to one USA location)

4) Anyone want to be in charge of being that one location and ship them to the other 19? Since I'm not set up at work or have a easiy way to do it I would rather some one else do it.

5) I all ready asked Thurn (We can build them our self's if your saying Thurn will build them for us when we purchase of supply the GXSR mirrors. All we want it the base off them. If Thurn can not help with selling us the base only, please tell me how to contact the mirror maker to see if I can get them to try to make this cost effective)

Edited by Joe Foe from Buffalo

• Member Contributer
I have a reply from Thurn below.

Put me down for a set.

To: "Joe Foe" <joefoefrombuffalo@yahoo.com>

Subject: Re: Mirror Mounts?

Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 06:26:55 +0200

hello Joe,

thanks for your email.

From company, we get the mirrors from. only the mirrors completetely available.

When you will order 20 pairs of this base of mirror, we can built them for you for the Suzuki mirrors (mirror required)

kind regards

Thurn Motorsport

1) Who else will purchase them (we need 19 more)

2) Darth Bling please give us detials on the exact part of the base we will need. I think I'm wrong when I all ready asked Thurn for these.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/954609/

So we can save on costs and only get what we need.

3) I all replied to Thurn asking how much they will cost (with shipping to one USA location)

4) Anyone want to be in charge of being that one location and ship them to the other 19? Since I'm not set up at work or have a easiy way to do it I would rather some one else do it.

5) I all ready asked Thurn (We can build them our self's if your saying Thurn will build them for us when we purchase of supply the GXSR mirrors. All we want it the base off them. If Thurn can not help with selling us the base only, please tell me how to contact the mirror maker to see if I can get them to try to make this cost effective)

Guest ElementalG20

I'm most definately interested in getting a base to make the GSX-R style mirrors work as I like the look of smoothed body work, and am also in need of a new mirror(emgo sucks, as does the 99' condom style anyhow). PLEASE lets get something figured out to make this a reasonable option. The mirrors are all over ebay for fairly reasonable cost(till' this gets out wink.gif ).

Yup, those are the wrong mounts. Sorry, guys, I've been out of town for while. Just got home not too long ago and I haven't had a chance to check up on VFRD in a while. The Thurn mounts that I used work fine, but I have a design that I think is much better. I just need to find a CNC shop that's local to me to get a quote on machining these things. They'll also need to be anodized black too. As soon as I have more info, I'll post the details. (Trust me, I don't want to drag this out to BLS's lower peg block porportions) wink.gif

OK Darth...Hope you can get to it soon.......LOL Glad I didn't wait to lower my foot pegs :thumbsup: So far Thurn said they will help us make he proper bases...but not till late fall cause they have many projects to do before hand. I convinced Thurn to give me a way to contact the After market mirror maker to try to get them faster....but little good that will do if you say we will not need them Darth.