Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

• Member Contributer

wgregt,

Once again outstanding work on seeing this through. I have my GSXR mirrors on the shelf in the garage ready to go. If you are keeping a record of what members are requesting I would like a set in AL and can pay via PayPal.

Regards from Down Under

AL block for samples dropped off. Got prices on anodizing them afterwards as well. PS: The Delrin is way expensive. Like $96 USD for a block big enough to make 2 sets from. So, right now I'm gonna make the samples in the AL, anodize them in black, and see how the pricing works out to see if making them in plastic gets them any cheaper, or if there's even a need to try the plastic route. Should have samples in hand shortly, then 2-3 days to get them anodized. More when I know it.

post-8118-0-55085100-1437769129.jpeg

Edited by wgregt
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

AL block for samples dropped off. Got prices on anodizing them afterwards as well. PS: The Delrin is way expensive. Like $96 USD for a block big enough to make 2 sets from. So, right now I'm gonna make the samples in the AL, anodize them in black, and see how the pricing works out to see if making them in plastic gets them any cheaper, or if there's even a need to try the plastic route. Should have samples in hand shortly, then 2-3 days to get them anodized. More when I know it.

What are these Al blocks running you? I'd expect $5 or so?

We're running a round of samples this week made from a soft bonding-type board-like material. According to the guy running the CAD machine, it's just to run the programmed tool paths on material softer than aluminum for the first run. Sometimes as the cutter head swings about on successive passes, it may nick an edge or something. The enclosures surrounding the mills are not bullet proof, and sometimes they are shattered by flying debris, which I may be asked to pay for. So this allows them to test everything first and prevent that. More when I know it...

• Member Contributer

So if that block of AL cost $40 and you got 5 blocks from it will 1 block allow for fabrication of two mirror mounts? If so the raw materials for the mounts is pretty cheap, $8 a pair or $16 if 1 block won't run to 2 mounts. Noting the amount of wastage of material from milling will the machinist take that into account for his costs as he can resell this back as scrap?

Good Lord, Mate.

Each one of those blocks will make 1 mount. I don't think there's gonna be any reselling of scrap, but I will ask.

I have not taken into account what the machinist wants to do the work, the anodizing, or the box/shipping, simply b/c I don't know those things yet.

Dropped off the AL blocks just now. Might get lucky and get them back this week, then the tap & die for the threaded portion, then on to the anodizing, buying and drilling the screw, and then we should have viable finished samples to show. More when I know it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Never too early to ask for updates.

As of 8/12, we were in line to have the AL blocks cuts. The guy I'm dealing with is on vacation this week, but he connected me to another guy who will run the machine in his absence. Let me check in with him right now.

• 3 weeks later...