Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

• Member Contributer

I was asking him about his at Tmac. The mount and stem are vfr. Just the mirror is gsx. Somehow he popped the glass out and took apart the ball joint, if I'm not mistaken.

They sure showed up good that first night when they came rolling in, in the rain.

Edited by RDMcD
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

I did mine that way too. The only downside is the slightly unfinished look of the wires outside the stalk and covered with heat shrink. But it's not super noticeable. I used Emgos with smoked lenses. Look better when off, but less light. And the stock ones are far and away better quality with a small weight inside to stabilize.

• Member Contributer

Yes, put me down for one set for a 5th gen and one set for a 6th gen!

I was asking him about his at Tmac. The mount and stem are vfr. Just the mirror is gsx. Somehow he popped the glass out and took apart the ball joint, if I'm not mistaken.

They sure showed up good that first night when they came rolling in, in the rain.

Yep. You can just break the glass as well, remove the nut holding the stem to the mirror, and install the GSXR mirror head.

Will the gsx mirrors be in the same position as the stock ones, or are the stems any longer? If not could the aluminum adapter be made say an inch thicker? If there is enough demand to produce these in numbers, look into having them cast in aluminum at a foundry. It may be cheaper than having them machined.

As far as the length or if they are longer, here they are again on a 6th gen. My thoughts on making the base thicker would just to use a set of those mirror extenders underneath the bases I'm making. I know those are an inch in height.

post-8118-0-82675300-1436151287.jpg

post-8118-0-65371900-1436151291.jpg

I don't have a 5th gen, but the only difference between the 5th and 6th gen GSXR bases I'm finding is that the 5th gens have retaining/centering rings around the mounting holes on the bottom just like the 5th gen OEM mirrors do. I've also been told that the 5th gen bases need some "creative routing" of wires b/c there is an OEM bolt head right where the wires exit the base. That true? If you got a 5th gen and one of these bases mounted, I'd love to hear how you solved it.

Once I get that far (since I have a 6th gen bike I can check fitment on, I'm making 6th gen bases first) I'll make some ABS mock-ups and run over to Duc2v4's house and check them out on his 5th gen. I think he has one?

I have not tried pushing another wire thru the GSXR stem, mostly b/c that would infer that I've found another bulb socket that would fit the GSXR mirror head and had 3 wires on it. You got something like that?

• Member Contributer

I don't have a 5th gen, but the only difference between the 5th and 6th gen GSXR bases I'm finding is that the 5th gens have retaining/centering rings around the mounting holes on the bottom just like the 5th gen OEM mirrors do. I've also been told that the 5th gen bases need some "creative routing" of wires b/c there is an OEM bolt head right where the wires exit the base. That true? If you got a 5th gen and one of these bases mounted, I'd love to hear how you solved it.

Once I get that far (since I have a 6th gen bike I can check fitment on, I'm making 6th gen bases first) I'll make some ABS mock-ups and run over to Duc2v4's house and check them out on his 5th gen. I think he has one?

I have not tried pushing another wire thru the GSXR stem, mostly b/c that would infer that I've found another bulb socket that would fit the GSXR mirror head and had 3 wires on it. You got something like that?

The 5 Gen base mounting whole spacing is 50mm while the 6 Gen is 40mm. The pivot bolt is interchangeable if I remember correctly.

• Member Contributer

I used my stock 5G bulb sockets and deleted the OE dumbo ears. Didn't slide right in, but with some effort and cursing I managed to wedge it in there.

I'm not familiar with the 5th gen at all...the "dumbo" mod is getting rid of...the front signals? Or the mirrors? Trying to make sense of what you did here. You used the OEM sockets and slid them into...some aftermarket front signals?

The two wires in the GSXR OEM mirrors are encased in a slightly bigger protective insulation-like sleeve. It's really tight thru the stem as is. If you removed the sleeve and only had 3 wires coming thru there, you might *might* make it, but there would not be enough wiggle room for them, I think. They would be tight enough that they would not be able to be pulled thru the shaft. Then there's the hole on the end of the mirror shaft and the hole in the base I'm making, both of which I think are too small for 3 wires.

• Member Contributer

I'm not familiar with the 5th gen at all...the "dumbo" mod is getting rid of...the front signals? Or the mirrors? Trying to make sense of what you did here. You used the OEM sockets and slid them into...some aftermarket front signals?

Yes, the front signals. Since I removed them and had the holes glassed over and painted, the sockets were up for grabs. That also freed up the connectors inside the fairings. I cut the connectors off, forced the sockets into the Emgo GSXR mirror housing, and plugged the connector in after soldering wires onto the ends. I had to attach bullet connectors on the other ends to fit each wire through a hole in the upper fairing under the mirror mount. No way a three wire connector would fit through there. Then the wires plug into the original harness via the bullet connectors. Wires stay with the mirrors if I have to remove them for upper fairing removal.

• Member Contributer

PCH ^^^ ?

Roll On ..

From the looks of one of the photos, more likely Mulholland A.K.A. "The Snake". Then again, So Cal roads all look the same to some degree!

Pivot bolt? The one in the center?

Yes. Where the stem connects to the mount.

Yes, the front signals. Since I removed them and had the holes glassed over and painted, the sockets were up for grabs. That also freed up the connectors inside the fairings. I cut the connectors off, forced the sockets into the Emgo GSXR mirror housing, and plugged the connector in after soldering wires onto the ends. I had to attach bullet connectors on the other ends to fit each wire through a hole in the upper fairing under the mirror mount. No way a three wire connector would fit through there. Then the wires plug into the original harness via the bullet connectors. Wires stay with the mirrors if I have to remove them for upper fairing removal.

The 5th gen OEM front signals don't look bad at all to me...guess I don't get the whole "dumbo mod" thing. I guess I'm gonna wire mine up with a 12v relay rather than buy another set of OEM bulb sockets.

• Member Contributer

PCH ^^^ ?

Roll On ..

From the looks of one of the photos, more likely Mulholland A.K.A. "The Snake". Then again, So Cal roads all look the same to some degree!

Thanks Duc .

Roll On ..

You will screw them together with my provided screw, which I will drill a hole thru to pass the wires thru, or I'll provide the screw and let you drill it, or I'll tell you what screw to buy & drill. Haven't thought that much about it yet. The mount hole will be threaded for this.

• Member Contributer

Can someone tell me whether the OE GSXR mirrors have Toyo stamped on the bottom of the mirror housing, or do I have aftermarket?

• 2 weeks later...