Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

We are making samples this Tuesday, confirmed. He is handling everything: the AL blocks, the anodizing, and the cutting. It's a lot simpler this way. He's a solid 45-50 miles from me, one way, in LA traffic, so me buying AL stock, cutting it, and driving 90-100 miles total to drop off my own pre-cut and bought AL every week or so (or whatever our schedule turns out to be), was a lot to do on top of everything else in my week.

My plans of then taking all of them to anodizing near me afterwards was another potential loss of time, as we'd have to wait another 3-5 days for that, then another trip to get them (though closer.)

Now it seems when I pick them up my next stop should be the post office if all works well.

I have paid him out of pocket for the early round of samples, so when they are done I'll post photos and we'll collectively take a look.

PS I have spoken to him about the 5th gen mounts, and the changes for them. As I see it, they are:

-the 5th gen mounting holes are 50mm apart. The 6th gen ones are 40 mm apart.

-the 5th gen base is not flat. It has a small raised "ring" around each mount hole. I *think* this is because of the phillips head screw you 5th gen owners have that sits right in the center of the mounting bolts. I *think* these rings are equal in height to that phillips screw head, thus the rings allow the base to sit flat. THIS SOUND RIGHT TO YOU 5TH GEN OWNERS? I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE IN PERSON, SO PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I HAVE ANY OF THAT WRONG.

-we are not opposed to a 5th gen version at all, and I'm confident the guy doing all the re-designing and machining can handle the 5th gen changes no sweat. Of course, making a 5th gen version all depends on the demand for them. If demand is low, of course the price will reflect that.

More when I know it.

PSS I am also sourcing pre-drilled bolts this week as well to avoid me (or you) the trouble of drilling thru hardened bolts.

Edited by wgregt

• Member Contributer

We are making samples this Tuesday, confirmed. He is handling everything: the AL blocks, the anodizing, and the cutting. It's a lot simpler this way. He's a solid 45-50 miles from me, one way, in LA traffic, so me buying AL stock, cutting it, and driving 90-100 miles total to drop off my own pre-cut and bought AL every week or so (or whatever our schedule turns out to be), was a lot to do on top of everything else in my week.

My plans of then taking all of them to anodizing near me afterwards was another potential loss of time, as we'd have to wait another 3-5 days for that, then another trip to get them (though closer.)

Now it seems when I pick them up my next stop should be the post office if all works well.

I have paid him out of pocket for the early round of samples, so when they are done I'll post photos and we'll collectively take a look.

PS I have spoken to him about the 5th gen mounts, and the changes for them. As I see it, they are:

-the 5th gen mounting holes are 50mm apart. The 6th gen ones are 40 mm apart.

-the 5th gen base is not flat. It has a small raised "ring" around each mount hole. I *think* this is because of the phillips head screw you 5th gen owners have that sits right in the center of the mounting bolts. I *think* these rings are equal in height to that phillips screw head, thus the rings allow the base to sit flat. THIS SOUND RIGHT TO YOU 5TH GEN OWNERS? I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE IN PERSON, SO PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I HAVE ANY OF THAT WRONG.

-we are not opposed to a 5th gen version at all, and I'm confident the guy doing all the re-designing and machining can handle the 5th gen changes no sweat. Of course, making a 5th gen version all depends on the demand for them. If demand is low, of course the price will reflect that.

More when I know it.

PSS I am also sourcing pre-drilled bolts this week as well to avoid me (or you) the trouble of drilling thru hardened bolts.

I think I have pics of the difference between 5/6 Gen mirror mounts somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them up. If I recall, they might have a different able to them as well, or perhaps the the bend in the actual mirror stem, but I recall they have a different angle to them when compared side by side.

I think I have pics of the difference between 5/6 Gen mirror mounts somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them up. If I recall, they might have a different able to them as well, or perhaps the the bend in the actual mirror stem, but I recall they have a different angle to them when compared side by side.

That would be helpful. No hurry on it.

That's the ticket right there, Greg. Those will be sweet, and I may even be interested in upgrading my originals to this version. Looking forward to seeing the updates in the near future and the photos of the mock-ups.

-Nate

• Member Contributer

That would be helpful. No hurry on it.

Here you go. I hope these are useful, regardless you can have access to either bike any time you need, just give me a "heads up" and if I'm available, no worries.

MIRROR PICS

6 Gen Mounting hole width

Six%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%204_zps4uouidm

6 Gen mount width

Six%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%203_zpsb7u7fm3

6 Gen mount height

Six%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%202_zpsf1ldhj0

5 Gen Mounting hole width

Five%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%204_zpsk34hvo

5 Gen mount width

Five%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%202_zpsfnr3lo

5 Gen mount height

Five%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%203_zps9ozhd0

5 Gen vs. 6 Gen mirrors (5 Gen is on the left and on top)

Five-Six%20Gen%20Compare%202_zpsd213wozi

Five-Six%20Gen%20Compare%201_zpsrwbczjof

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear you're making progress, Greg. Thanks for spending your time on this 'little' pet project of yours - we all appreciate it and are excited to see how it all shakes out. Keep us posted....

Ok. Here's where I am.

I got quotes on the part, but to be honest...I should get more. To me, it seems a bit high. And, at his price, I have added in nothing for me in all of this. Zero. Nada. I have also not added in shipping, and my time to get them/pkg them/ship them.

True, the guy DID redesign the part for the better, and took into effect all of the previous design points that seemed to be small issues for those of you who own/owned a pair of these in Gen 1: the bolt is no longer conical at the bottom, and the ridges are built-in on the base where the GSXR miror attaches to allow it to tighten and stay in the set position better. I truly think this was improved by the engineer's help. So, better design can/should = a bit more $, in my mind, right?

So now, I got a price, but he's asking about quantity. So, I have to ask:

Who might be seriously interested in a set (two mounts + drilled bolts) for the 6th gen? The 5th gen will be up next in line (if I get enough interest), but for now, let's start with just the 6th gen.

So, who's serious, and I'll count 'em up and see how many we might need. (Darth tells me he made/sold 50 sets when he did them.)

Potential 6th gen mounts buyers:

1) wgregt

2) Switchblade

3) DeltaboxiI (two sets)

Edited by wgregt

• Member Contributer

Ok. Here's where I am.

I got quotes on the part, but to be honest...I should get more. To me, it seems a bit high. And, at his price, I have added in nothing for me in all of this. Zero. Nada. I have also not added in shipping, and my time to get them/pkg them/ship them.

True, the guy DID redesign the part for the better, and took into effect all of the previous design points that seemed to be small issues for those of you who own/owned a pair of these in Gen 1: the bolt is no longer conical at the bottom, and the ridges are built-in on the base where the GSXR miror attaches to allow it to tighten and stay in the set position better. I truly think this was improved by the engineer's help. So, better design can/should = a bit more $, in my mind, right?

Who might be seriously interested in a set (two mounts + drilled bolts) for the 6th gen? The 5th gen will be up next in line (if I get enough interest), but for now, let's start with just the 6th gen.

So, who's serious, and I'll count 'em up and see how many we might need. (Darth tells me he made/sold 50 sets when he did them.)

1) wgregt

2) Switchblade

• Member Contributer

3) Deltaboxii for a 6th gen and a 5th gen. And if they are really good and the price isn't ridiculous, I am going to buy a second set for each because these lil buggers have been the hardest pieces to get for my upgrades and I would hate to ever have to find them again if needed. so i might as well buy a second set right? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Ok. Here's where I am.

1) wgregt

2) Switchblade

3) DeltaboxiI (two sets)

4) Marooncobra 6 Gen Edited by Marooncobra

• Member Contributer

Ok. Here's where I am.

1) wgregt

2) Switchblade

3) DeltaboxiI (two sets)

4) Marooncobra 6 Gen

5) Polarbear (for 6th gen just to confirm the gen)

Does anyone know which year and model gsxr mirrors to buy for these mounts?

I see 2006 to 20012 for 600/750

05 to 08 for 600/750

05 to 08 for a 1000

09 to 13 for a 1000

06 to 09 for a 600

And I could go on

Edited by jerritt

• Member Contributer

Right now it was over $100 a set, USD. I was hoping to get that down by getting a ton of them made. Looks like that's not gonna be the case. I'll ask now about pricing for...six sets? Yikes. More when I know it.

That's ok I still want a set .

• Member Contributer

I am sure that you will be able to move at least 50 of them, it may take a year though!

Even at over $100 I am still interested in one set for the 6th and hopefully a set for the 5th gen.