Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

GSXR_Mirrors.jpg

Quite a while back, I bought some Kisan vecrtoLights from a member here at VFRD. They were nifty little lights that attached to the bottom of your mirrors. They acted as a second pair of running lights, as well as brakes lights and turn signals. They worked really well and I got a lot of comments on them.

th_vectra-oval-mirror-1b.gif

Kisan V-10 vectroLights

Then sometime last fall, my right mirror got snapped off. It was at this point I decide to try out a set of aftermarket mirrors made by Thurn Motorsports. I've seen the mirrors on ebay a few times and decided the quality looked fairly decent. Huge mistake. I have to say that these mirrors are absolute crap! 177.gif

th_99-SS0246-gesamt.jpg

Thurn Mirrors

The problem with the Thurn mirrors was the ball-and-socket joint was way too loose. Only after a few minutes of riding on the freeway, the mirrors would fold inward from the force of the wind. Even large bumps would knock the mirrors down. Even though the looks of the mirror eventually grew on me, I hated them. I tried tightening the socket joint up, but I ended up breaking the plastic on both sides. <_<

th_ThurnMounts.jpg th_Another_POV.jpg

Don't mind the dead bugs

One good thing did come out of my purchase of the Thurn mirrors, and that would be the mirror mounts. As you can see in the picture above, the mounts provide a nice flat mounting area. And that's when it hit me... GSXR mirrors!! :goofy:

th_left_GSXR_Mirror.jpg th_Right_GSXR_Mirror.jpg

GSXR mirrors!

As you can see, the GSXR mirrors require a flatter surface to mount to than does our VFR. So, I figure I could remove the mounts from the GSXR mirrors and then bolt the mirror stocks directly to the Thurn mounts.

th_MirrorTop.jpg th_MirrorBottom.jpg

The GSXR mounts

After taken the little caps off the GSXR mirrors, I notice the mirrors used a hollow rivet to secure them to the mounting bolts. A few moments later, I'm using my power drill to drill out the rivets. It's also worth to note that the Thurn mounts don't use a standard or metric thread pitch. The bolt guru at my local hardware store said that it's some kind of special pitch only found on motorcycles and that I would have to special order the bolts. Hmm...no thanks; I've been dying to try out my new tap and die set. :P I ended up drilling the Thurn mounts out with a 3/8" bit and then tapping it to 7/16".

I end up running the wires from the mirrors through a tiny notch in the mirror stock down on the end. The notch is where those little caps snap into. I figured that once I get everything torque down, I can secure the caps down with a sealant instead of snapping them back into place. I also had the grind down the head of the 7/16" bolt I used to mount the mirrors. The caps don't offer much room underneath them. I end up sticking the bolt into my drill and then spinning it on a metal file.

Compare to the Thurn mirrors, the new GSXR mirrors are sharp!! And I thought I'd reinstall the stock mirror just to see a comparison.

th_VersusThurn.jpg th_VersusStock.jpg

Comparison

And of course, the new mirrors in all their glory!!!! :D

th_Finished.jpg

Bling!

Guest Hurricane249

You put parts from a stinky inline 4 on a V4 bike? BLA will have a stroke but I think they look great and I bet a lot of people copy that mod. :beer:

You put parts from a stinky inline 4 on a V4 bike? BLA will have a stroke but I think they look great and I bet a lot of people copy that mod. :beer:

LMAO! What, no Gixxer mirrors on Mr RC45? Mercy!

• Member Contributer

Everytime I saw a Gixxer in a dealership I wondered if somebody here would attempt this mod...glad I waited and didn't get the Thurns...this one is definitely worth doing. Travis (Rivcyko), are you listening? :lol:

:thumbsup:

Man that is sweet!!! Glad I read this... was considering the Thurn mirrors. Not anymore smile.gif

NIce modification!!! :thumbsup:

SPeaking of Fixer - where is the Bastage? I thought he would be all over this one - his effects of getting a Stinky Inline 4 will resonate for years to come... MErcy - BLA must be having convulsions about mixing stock parts from an I4 onto a V4 bike...... :joystick:

Guest xerox

great, you f'n beat me to it. broke a mirror on my 98 and since i didnt want to deal with a company from across the pond, i decided to retro fit a pair from a gixxr...I am just waiting for them to arrive, i'm sure that since the seller charged 20bucks that they are going to send them snailmail...will post pics once they are on and ready

Guest Hurricane249
great, you f'n beat me to it. broke a mirror on my 98 and since i didnt want to deal with a company from across the pond, i decided to retro fit a pair from a gixxr...I am just waiting for them to arrive, i'm sure that since the seller charged 20bucks that they are going to send them snailmail...will post pics once they are on and ready

Be sure to do a major "how to". I bet a lot of 5th Genners will be very interested.

• Member Contributer

Looks great. How is the visibilty to the rear? Just received my Lobster extenders and wanting to do the Rivcyko LED trick, but I have

always liked the idea of the mirror signals. Wiring? Just simple inline splicing or some other trickery.

Now you can swap out the lower lights for engine vents :beer:

Looks great. How is the visibilty to the rear? Just received my Lobster extenders and wanting to do the Rivcyko LED trick, but I have

always liked the idea of the mirror signals. Wiring? Just simple inline splicing or some other trickery.

Now you can swap out the lower lights for engine vents +1.gif

Visibility to the rear is similar to stock; the mirrors stick out about as far.

Wiring wasn’t too bad. Just tapped into the wires from the lower lights. I wired the mirrors so they act as running lights, but when I hit the turn signal, they turn off and on in time with the regular turn signals. All you need to do is just ground the lights with the turn signal wires.

Yeah, turning the lower lights into ram air vents has crossed my mind. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Now you can swap out the lower lights for engine vents +1.gif

Yeah, turning the lower lights into ram air vents has crossed my mind. :beer:

Would the ram air vents qualify as a NACA duct? :D

Now you can swap out the lower lights for engine vents :huh:

Yeah, turning the lower lights into ram air vents has crossed my mind. :goofy:

Would the ram air vents qualify as a NACA duct? :D

My daughter can make you some... click here to see 'em!

Guest xerox

well. I dont want to bite your thread, but I got my carbon look gsxr mirrors in yesterday, and well, to say the least, they aren't going on as easy as yours did for a 5th gen. oh, and the the wireing was the easy part. since i needed mirrors badly, I used the stock mounts and some bolts to secure them for a temp fix, but it looks like "monster Garage" not too ugly, but not smooth either. the wiring is 2 wire on the mirrors and 3 wire on the bike. very simple to solve, use i diode on both of the wires9 running and turn signal, and there you have it. I am getting some plexi next wekk, and I am going to make some better mounts( maybe even relocate my foglamps too) once I get it all cleaned up, I will def post it up. right now the mirrors are too high up, they need to be angled down to look better/be wider. oh well, it beats a broken mirror!!

Guest 767fixer
Nice mod looks great. Fixer is going to be so proud :thumbsup:

now i am just waiting for a 07 switchable mapped gsxr 1000 engine to be shoehorned into a 5th gen frame... wink.gif

• Member Contributer

You have inspired me. I have seen the GSXR mirrors before and wondered if they could be mounted. And since I just found a pair for $61 after shipping off eBay you can pat yourself on the back for said inspiration. :thumbsup: I have Lobster's extenders but I plan on doing some drilling where necessary to make this work.

I really need to quit reading all these posts...I spend way too much money on "upgrades". :idea3:

• Member Contributer
well. I dont want to bite your thread, but I got my carbon look gsxr mirrors in yesterday, and well, to say the least, they aren't going on as easy as yours did for a 5th gen. oh, and the the wireing was the easy part. since i needed mirrors badly, I used the stock mounts and some bolts to secure them for a temp fix, but it looks like "monster Garage" not too ugly, but not smooth either. the wiring is 2 wire on the mirrors and 3 wire on the bike. very simple to solve, use i diode on both of the wires9 running and turn signal, and there you have it. I am getting some plexi next wekk, and I am going to make some better mounts( maybe even relocate my foglamps too) once I get it all cleaned up, I will def post it up. right now the mirrors are too high up, they need to be angled down to look better/be wider. oh well, it beats a broken mirror!!

I'm very interested too..post up some pics, maybe we can get BLS to machine up some adapters/extenders to mount them nicely. Can use my bike as model..

• Member Contributer

Doh! I just got my GSXR mirrors in today and missed a mighty important detail. The mounts bolt downwards where the VFR's mounts side ways. :o Thus the use of the Thurn mounting kit making it easy for Darth Bling. Oh, the road to wisdom is a long one. No worries though, I have a ME buddy whom I think would be able to make a mount in no time for the right price. :salesman:

I will update when/if this works out.

• Member Contributer

If the mount turns out well, I'd be interested and help defray the cost if you'd consider producing a 2nd set. I've been thinking about doing this mod as well. Ron

Doh! I just got my GSXR mirrors in today and missed a mighty important detail. The mounts bolt downwards where the VFR's mounts side ways. :o Thus the use of the Thurn mounting kit making it easy for Darth Bling. Oh, the road to wisdom is a long one. No worries though, I have a ME buddy whom I think would be able to make a mount in no time for the right price. :salesman:

I will update when/if this works out.

• Member Contributer

You guys beat me to the punch!

I've been sitting on my set of Gixxer mirrors for many weeks now, trying to solve the install issues.

As mentioned before, the Thurn adapter would make this mod easy as it changes the mount to a top attachment point much like the Gixxer. Could have an adapter machined up; I think that is the easy part.

What I haven't been able to figure out is what to do about the hollow rivet mount that the stock Gixxer mirror uses.

Darth Bling, your post was vague about how you solved this issue. Can you please post a close-up picture or two, or a more clear explanation? It sounds like you just replaced the rivet with a standard bolt, but where the heck does the wiring run now? I thought of making a tiny hole in the cap and running wire an inch or two to the adapter, but that seems too "monster garage", considering.