Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

Without the diode (an electrical check valve for us plumbers) the electrical current back feeds from the running light wire to the turn indicator (when connecting any two wire light to the VFR's three wire circuit) and this circuit makes both turn indicator lights on the dash stay continuously lit.

During daytime riding it is annoying, at night is a potentially dangerous distraction.

You could also correct this as I have seen many older VCR owners do back in the day...a piece of electrical tape across the flashing "12:00" on the dash.

I'm unsure where we disagree.

That's the safety function I allude to.

The diodes do nothing for the subject being discussed; trying to make a single filament bulb function as a dual filament bulb.

Hmmm....maybe I could drop a dual filament bulb in the mirror sockets instead? What would that do?

• Member Contributer

I'd looked briefly at replacing the single filament socket with a dual filament version.
The two main concerns:
Finding the proper socket for the bulb.
The locking bulb socket that Emgo uses looks pretty generic, so there's a pretty good chance you could find a replacement piece that was made for a dual filament bulb and would lock properly in the lens.

The wiring is a more difficult hurdle.
The passageway that runs through the stalk of the mirror and the hole that DB drilled through the large Phillips-head screw would both have to be enlarged to allow for a third wire.
That would involve a complete dis-assembly of the mirror and make a very labor-intensive process even more so.

All in all, I think that my relay scenario involves the least amount of work.

After soldering the wire leads coming off the relay, those connections could be covered with heat-shrink tubing and the relay itself could be attached to the inside of the front fairing with double-stick tape somewhere near the existing turn signal lights.

You would want to terminate the leads from the mirrors with the same sort of 2-conductor disconnects used elsewhere on the bike to allow the mirrors to be removed.

• Member Contributer
Without the diode (an electrical check valve for us plumbers) the electrical current back feeds from the running light wire to the turn indicator (when connecting any two wire light to the VFR's three wire circuit) and this circuit makes both turn indicator lights on the dash stay continuously lit.

During daytime riding it is annoying, at night is a potentially dangerous distraction.

You could also correct this as I have seen many older VCR owners do back in the day...a piece of electrical tape across the flashing "12:00" on the dash.

I'm unsure where we disagree.

That's the safety function I allude to.

The diodes do nothing for the subject being discussed; trying to make a single filament bulb function as a dual filament bulb.

Ohhhh, gotcha.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I finally picked up the ABS versions today (in white, cause...that's what the guys doing this had lying around) and...they fit and look great. I separated the GSXR mirrors from their bases (with a drill press, BTW, which IS the way to go. Took maybe 12 seconds per mirror that way) but have not attached them to these new ABS sample bases b/c I need to buy and drill the mounting screws tomorrow hopefully. Also, I need to drill a small hole in the fairing between the two OEM mounting holes.

But the good news is they are designed, printed, fitted, and they look great!

The guy doing the work has suggested we make the final versions in black ABS, which from what I'm seeing will be strong enough, but since they were originally made in AL and then painted or powdercoated, I'd like to get pricing on them too. Also, when I originally pitched these to the guy doing all the CAD work, he suggested he would most likely be able to make/machine these in small batches, probably setting up the machine to run overnight as he leaves work. So, just as a heads up, they will probably be made in small amounts (like 5 sets or so every week or so maybe?) Just as an FYI that we most likely won't be making/sending/mailing out 25 sets per week. So, a bit of patience may be needed.

Up next: pricing. More when I know it...

post-8118-0-93150400-1435298288.jpgpost-8118-0-63664800-1435298294.jpgpost-8118-0-40972200-1435298300.jpg

post-8118-0-22036700-1435298281.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Great news and well done for the perseverance on this. You can put me down for a set.

I have fitted a pair of indicator mirrors already which I got off eBay. They are okay but the look of the GSXR mirrors is too good to pass. Excuse the pun!!!

My wiring is all done for these so would be a quick install. Just took a live and earth feed off the front indicators. I also had to drill a small hole in the fairing which is hidden by the mounting bracket.

• Member Contributer

Awesome! Put me down for a couple of sets. This has been a long time coming!

• Member Contributer

Are you going to use the ABS version of these? or get them made with metal? If ABS is the plan I probably could have saved a lot of time by having my partner make them! As he already made the mock ups once before. One thing to consider is UV issues. Some materials do not hold up when exposed to UV light (B.K.A. Sunlight).I forgot what material my partner said would be the best but he's on vacation until after next weekend.

• Member Contributer

Gonna get pricing for the AL ones (like the first batch made...anondized black AL) and nylon, apparently. The guy doing them suggested the nylon. I know nothing about it, but I'll post up when I talk to a supplier.

I'd go with metal ones personally, Aluminum would be a good choice.

• Member Contributer

Is the material he's using Delrin? If so, it might be all right as it's extremely tough material. They make the wheels for skateboards and inline skates from it.

His shop closes for the 4th of July, so he's been off this whole week. So...next week we should have some movement. I've got some suppliers to call, but I need him to give me the cubic amount each set needs so I can get some quotes. I know we'll need some extra to allow for holding of the parts as they are made, and he's the only one that can get that info for me. Then, hopefully this week I can get some material quotes. He has some contacts internally with materials as well, and he's gonna work it from his end as well.

Oh...we are considering making 5th gen ones as well, in case any 5th gen owners want a set. It's only a small change for them.

More when I know it. If you're wanting a set, I'd use this time to look around for a set of GSXR mirrors myself.

Edited by wgregt
  • Like 1

Me? I've long seen those styles of signal mirrors on ebay and the like, and for me they are too sharp and angular and "sportbike" for a VFR800. If you're putting them on a new ZXRRXX14RRX, I'd say sure, they'd fit right in. CBR600RR or the like? Sure. VFR800? Not my cup o'tea.

• Member Contributer

Me? I've long seen those styles of signal mirrors on ebay and the like, and for me they are too sharp and angular and "sportbike" for a VFR800. If you're putting them on a new ZXRRXX14RRX, I'd say sure, they'd fit right in. CBR600RR or the like? Sure. VFR800? Not my cup o'tea.

So which mirrors are you going to use? The old style gixxer mirrors.

Roll On ..

$T2eC16h,!y0E9s2S9Jw9BSGG,I,-i!~~60_12.J

?

• Member Contributer

Hey guys,

I have been working on mirrors at the moment and am still up in the air. I had/have the ebay mirrors on my bike now. Broke one off as the stalk is plastic. At the point were it meets the mirror base there is only about a 1/16" of plastic surrounding the metal piece that is embedded in the mirror stalk. Didn't really want to go that route again. Have been working on gsxr mirror and various bases, BUT have not been happy with the angle of the mirror in relation to the bike so far. I would definitely be interested a set of decent bases for a 5 Gen as long as you can get the look better then what I have now. I have even though about going back to stock mirror's!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Will the gsx mirrors be in the same position as the stock ones, or are the stems any longer? If not could the aluminum adapter be made say an inch thicker? If there is enough demand to produce these in numbers, look into having them cast in aluminum at a foundry. It may be cheaper than having them machined.