Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

Veefer800Canuck, on 04 Jul 2007 - 2:49 PM, said:
Grant" data-cid="402748" data-date="Jun 16 2007, 03:51 AM said:

The GSX-R mirrors look great - great mod and great write up!

Has anyone tried the CBR1100 Blackbird mirrors on a VFR?

Can be done, bodywork is required as the mounting surfaces of the upper fairing do not match the profile, area etc of the BB mirrors.

Or how about the 7th gen mirrors?

I'd like...

post-13109-0-01115800-1431700032.jpg

We're moving forward with this, looks like. Apparently the files I got have a few errors in them, but they do have some good fotos. So, my contact is going to try and reverse engineer the part using the fotos. BUT.....

if you have these mounts, we STILL HAVE A GREAT NEED for someone with them to get in touch with me/us for actual dimensions of the finished piece. There are numerous things we need to confirm before making these. So again I'll ask: If you have a set, please get in touch.

I'll also be opening up another post in case someone on the forum has them and is not reading/following this one. Never know. Maybe everyone here wants them, and no one has them!

• Member Contributer

I got my GSXR mirrors to work on my 5th at the moment with the ZX6R mounts. It works for now, But would love to see what the Honda guy comes up with.

It looks so good on the 5th gen that i went ahead and bought another set of GSXR mirrors. I am also planning on getting some LED bulbs for both sets from superbrightleds.com.

I think I remember you starting the mod earlier in this thread. If you finished them, how about a flurry of good fotos of them, and the ZX6R mount, etc, and what you thiink of it after living with them for a bit. Might help to have another option in case mine goes south. Again.

• Member Contributer

I posted some pics on my 5.5 build thread. The bike is still under construction so no seat time yet but they look great on the bike and high quality. I prefer how far they stick out as well vs. stock. more rear view visibility over the stocker's view of my elbows!

• Member Contributer

I was wondering that too. I did the CornerCarver mod using GSXR housing on 5th Gen stalk, running the wires outside and covered with large diameter heat shrink over the stalk and wires.

So you did the "break the VFR glass, remove mirror head, mount GSXR mirror head to OEM VFR stalk" mod? And that one also leaves the wiring outside the stalk, huh? I thought you could drill into the cowl at the mirror base and hide it that way, no?

Boy, that is some serious large diameter heat shrink. Where did you find that? Got fotos of the finished piece?

• Member Contributer

Yep, that one. The stalk is solid, so wires on outside. GSXR had only 2 wire sockets, but I was able to force the stock 5th Gen bulb sockets in the housing for running/signal lights.

Heat shrink was 1" maybe? 6th gen has really skinny stalks that flair out just as much as the 5th, so they needed two sizes for those.

• Member Contributer
Couple pics. Excuse the bugs:

Signal Mirror

Wires are visible on the cockpit side, but not a lot.

Mirro Mount

I got Emgo mirrors, the Suzuki are much better quality but I got smoked lenses and they cost about half. CornerCarver sprung for the genuine parts.

I also needed new VFR mirrors so got Emgo for those too. Had to later buy stainless bolts because they started rusting.

The other Carver boys had 6th Gens so I saw theirs too. Solid stalks, that's why they also shrink wrapped them. Like I mentioned, it took two different sizes to cover 6G stalks.

Not bad. It was hard to see where the shrink wrap ends, so you must have done a good job with that. I've always heard that anything Emgo makes is cheaper, but you know it. True? Buzziness/bluriness in the mirrors at all? I think you may have solved that by using the OEM stalks though. The head ever loosen up?

A viable alternative though, if you can get past the breaking of the glass of the original mirrors. Can't go back after that.

And yours (and esp. your 6th gen friends who did this) have both running lights AND signal lights now in those?

Edited by wgregt

• Member Contributer

The genuine parts have a metal plate inside to add weight to dampen the vibrations. The Emgo's seem alright. The stalks are the same, cast aluminum(?).

I reused the internals, including the spring to keep the nut holding the housing tight. Thread lock on the mount bolt since moving the stalk loosens it up. Emgos are worse with that than OE.

Looks like the shrink wrap goes right up to/under the mirror hear and covers the entire stalk in one piece. I did not know that at first. Nicely done. I was thinking it only covered the thin part of the stalk before it flares out.

• Member Contributer

I will post some pics once we have the finished product. We are painting the bodywork so havent been modifying the fairing mirror holes just yet.

• Member Contributer

I think the angle is pretty severe compared to 5/6G. Same reason the 7G won't work. Mounts on 8G don't separate from the stem. Mirror housing and stem are one piece on 8G. (Maybe just on the aftermarket part I saw?)

Just off the top of my head looking at parts on the 'bay...

We may just be in bid-ness. I'm picking up machined, in-hand prototypes this weekend for a dry fit. In fact, I bought some non-used GSXR mirrors yesterday locally from a LM (not new, but sure look like it) since we seemed to be moving forward so quickly.

The sizing on the part is a bit of a WAG, I'm told, so the dry fit will be helpful.

Oh...let me ask you this: those of you that have done some sort of other mod (or maybe you have the original mounts from Darth Bling), talk to me about wiring them up for both signals and running lights. Can you provide details on how you got them to work? The GSXR mirrors have 2 wires, but I haven't checked into my 6th gen yet. Ideas on how to wire them up for both running & signal lights? Any additional components needed?

BTW, the lenses on the mirrors are the original clear/amber, which I thought I'd change to the tinted lenses (which you can get for the GXSR mirrors), but after looking at them and realizing I have clear/amber on my RWB, I think they'll match up nicely.

More this weekend (if I can pick these up) with fotos and next steps...

Edited by wgregt