Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

I've been asking for 50 and 100 on my end. Let's see what we get. I tried one more place myself yesterday, and got this back just now:

"I was wondering if you could send me the solid models files?
We can't quote without a properly made CAD file."

OK. I know nothing about CAD. But I have run into this before. These parts were made in the past (and not THAT long ago...2008?) with these same files. And now about 60% of the places I sent them to said the same thing. Can't open them. Not enough info. CAD files are no good.

What in the wide wide world of sports is a'goin' on here?

Sounds like we will potentially be right back where we were when I got quotes: Found a shop to make them, reasonable on the price, just no interest from folks here.

Looking back a few pages my price was around $50 a set.

$50/set is very, very reasonable. If that included any kind of finish, I'd call it cheap.

I would expect to be at $75/set with an anodized or powdercoated finish.

I was unable to open the files myself. I would need to know what software was used to create the files, to be of further help.

• Member Contributer

Don't get excited yet. I'll send it out for quote and see what kind of response I get.

I'll ask for a batch of 50pcs - which means I'd need a commit from 25 buyers if the price is right.

Too late for that!! Count me in for one set if all hurdles can be overcome ... :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I can still get in touch with the guy who gave me the $50-ish USD per set quote, but we're still as far off in the count as we were the first time I tried this.

I will commit to set from that guy.

Maybe he has a set in black and not "Hot pink with daisies and retractable streamers".

Hot dam that's funny .

PM sent .

• Member Contributer

This is for the mirror mounts right? To mount up the GSXR mirrors to a VFR? for $50 count me in but it will have to be in the next month. I am anxious to get my project on the road when the snnow is gone!

• Member Contributer

I am planning to see if I can buy just the mirror mount base from the ZX6R that another guy used. I looked on flea bay and didnt see any. Might be rare. I am hoping that you can just buy the base separately and if thats possible I will let everyone know. Might be able to get a group discount from a Kawi dealer friend of mine.

• 4 months later...

Don't give up yet, folks. I met a guy today who does CAD drawing and machining. He wants to see the files, and has said he can get me a set made to try out, then perhaps make small batches for anyone who is interested. I'll take my 800 over there to check the fit, etc when he gets close. I mentioned to him the whole "we have to drill the screw in order to pass the wire thru, and it's kinda an unelegant solution in my mind" and he wants to try and re-think that part as well.

More info when I know it....but this sounds like good news to me!

I'll add/openly plead (again) that if anyone has a set of these they can loan me to see first-hand how they are made (you Canadians riding yet?), I'd gladly give you some $ as a good-will "insurance" gesture if it would make you feel better about getting them back ASAP.

Edited by wgregt
  • Like 3