Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

• Member Contributer

I seen Carvrers Gixxers mirrors today on his 5th gen looks good, should have taken pic's but forgot .

I'll let him update you on the install .

Wait a minute heres a pic .

• Member Contributer

I seen Carvrers Gixxers mirrors today on his 5th gen looks good, should have taken pic's but forgot .

I'll let him update you on the install .

Wait a minute heres a pic .

Please let us know the mounts!

• Member Contributer

Yeah....details? Does he have DB's mounts? Something else? Work as running lights too?

Those aren't DB mounts. Looks like he took the mirror and put it on 5th gen stalks to me.

+1 if I remember correctly that's what he did ...

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Bingo...with a piece of 8" (or so I thought :goofy: prolly only about 6") long by 1" diameter heat shrink tubing over the wire and (heated and shrunk of course) then route the wire through the base of the mirror mount.

Do they work as running lights?

I'm trying to get the whole scope of this...you kept the VFR bases, broke the glass, and used the GSXR mirror/signal heads? That right?

Issues/troubles/fixes if that's what you did? Any vibration in the glass?

Love to see how you ran the wire in a close up foto/ I think I saw/read many folks with the wire running along the outside, so fotos of yours would be a big help.

• Member Contributer

Anyone pinged BLS? If Larry can make all that other stuff this shouldbe cake. I'll donate my bike to model them up.

That's another good idea ...

• Member Contributer

Bingo...with a piece of 8" (or so I thought :goofy: prolly only about 6") long by 1" diameter heat shrink tubing over the wire and (heated and shrunk of course) then route the wire through the base of the mirror mount.

Hey CC I brain farted on the wiring if those gixxer mirrors are not LED's then just wire them like your stock front blinkers. If there LED's either put a resistor in parallel or buy the electronic flasher and no resistors.

I'm assuming you must have drilled out the GSXR mirror to fit the ball shape on the VFR mirror then? When I took my GSXR mirrors apart they had two screw holes and a slot at the arm mounting point.

• Member Contributer

Hey CC I brain farted on the wiring if those gixxer mirrors are not LED's then just wire them like your stock front blinkers. If there LED's either put a resistor in parallel or buy the electronic flasher and no resistors.

The universal load equalizer will take care of the problem with not enough load on the turn signals and will return the flash rate to normal but the Road Star Warrior is also sensitive to the load on the running lights. If the stock bulbs have been removed, in addition to placing a load on the turn signals, you need to add additional load to the running lights. You will need to place a 5W load back on the running lights. For 5W at 14V, you need a approximately 38 ohm resistor. Radio Shack stocks a 50 ohm 10 Watt resistor pair. By Connecting the resistor from each removed stock running light wire to ground, you will place sufficient load back on the system to satisfy the ECU.

For a 5W load you would need: 5W=I(14V)

I = .36 Amps

14V = .36®

R = 38 ohm resistor

http://www.customdynamics.com/led_motorcycle_lighting_faqs.htm

• Member Contributer

Standard lights, not led's and I have not wired them yet as I was contemplating just using them for signal lights, not running.

MiniCarver had some ebay Klingon looking mirrors on his 5/7G last year that we never did get wired correctly. The lights were 2 wire and (as you all know) the VFR uses 3 wires for running/signal lights. When you connect both the signal lead and the running light lead to the same side (opposite ground) they lights function as running lights as well as turn signals but the cross feed makes the dash lights constantly lit and it is annoying and bright.

We decided just before his bike was terminally bent (where are you VFRone?) that we were going to wire in a diode between the running light lead and the signal light lead to eliminate the cross feed. We never got around to it.

Would this work? I can stop by Radio Shack tomorrow and pick up a few diodes to check it out but anyone have any suggestions before we do?

Do you want me to update this post with my mirror conversion pics or start another? Don't want to hijack any ones thread...

We decided just before his bike was terminally bent (where are you VFRone?) that we were going to wire in a diode between the running light lead and the signal light lead to eliminate the cross feed. We never got around to it.

Would this work? I can stop by Radio Shack tomorrow and pick up a few diodes to check it out but anyone have any suggestions before we do?

I've used one of those trailer wiring integrators (separate turn and running lights on the truck and single lights on the trailer) things before to convert turn signals into running lights on the back of bikes. I would think you could use one of those for the front as well. They wouldn't be nearly as cheap as a couple of diodes though.......Looks like $15 at Autozone for this one.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Reese-Towpower-Tail-light-converter/_/N-262o?itemIdentifier=182754_0_0_

• Member Contributer

Cool idea Ken...since I have the undertail exhaust I have very little room for additional black boxes. :491: I may have to try some diodes tomorrow.

Cool idea Ken...since I have the undertail exhaust I have very little room for additional black boxes. :491: I may have to try some diodes tomorrow.

If the diodes don't work out, maybe hide it in the front fairing since all of the turn signal wires are up there anyway?
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

Anyone have recommendations on diodes? 1 Amp, 3 amp? Fast acting? 5Watt?

I am mechanically sound :goofy: but electrically weak.

Anyone have recommendations on diodes? 1 Amp, 3 amp? Fast acting? 5Watt?

I am mechanically sound :goofy: but electrically weak.

The turn signal dash bulbs are 3.4 watt, voltage is 12V, which gives you .28 amp. Not sure what the fast acting does for you. I know just enough to be dangerous. LOL

At first I calculated the amp draw of the turn signal bulb itself, but the back feed is just to the dash lights. I would think anything rated at one amp or higher would be just fine.

• Member Contributer

I thought fast acting was in terms of fuses. Either the fuse would blow as soon as it was over powered, or it would take a few seconds to blow.