Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

• Member Contributer
On 6 juin 2016 at 9:33 PM, wgregt said:

a) Sounds like your idea would be to basically get the wire to exit the mirror at another location, maybe on the bottom of the stalk (you're seeing the underside of the suzuki mirror in those top 2 fotos), basically underneath where it is now?

Sure. Probably do-able, but you'd have to get the wire to come OUT of that hole somehow, which would mean separating the mirror glass/head from the shaft somehow (on other models this is done by breaking the glass to get to the bolt that holds them together...not sure how to do this on the gsxr mirror. It MIGHT be done by removing the signal part and gaining access that way maybe?) and then pushing the wire thru that new, somewhat hidden smaller hole maybe?

And yes you could then drill a hole OUTSIDE of the footprint of the mirror base on the fairing (which you'd see) to pass the wire to the electrics under the fairing.

But you'd see it.

b) The soft rubber washer (like a hose connection washer maybe that fits inside a water hose attachment point) might do the trick if it has enough friction to keep it from rotating. I'm all about not having to do extra steps like grinding the nubs off the bottom of the OEM mirror if we don't have to.

Yeah, ok, the more I think about idea (a) above, the stupider I think it is. It will be visible and would require another hole in the fairing. Sigh. Sorry, forget it. Was trying to avoid drilling through a bolt. BTW, is there any company that makes bolts pre drilled? Should someone not have needed that by now? Just wondering... 

Christian 

I've looked online at all of the big bolt sites, and even contacted many of them to get quotes on getting one made, but their minimum quantity was either 250 or 500 and they were more than $5 each, if I'm remembering right.

• Member Contributer

Greg

I checked the mirrors tonight and note the bottom of the arm is quite shallow which means we will have to have a bolt with a shallow head. I don't know how much space is under the mounts you are going to get made to identify if there would be sufficient space to drill the bolt at angle and I can't find your 3D diagrams in the thread? If the mounts are going to be slightly bigger to allow the CNC machine hold the piece   I would suggest that there would be enough depth to allow the bolt to be drilled.

• Member Contributer

Greg

if you can't find a shallow head bolt a mushroom head bolt will probably do it. Traditionally they are hardened steel and have a long shank and are only threaded on the initial part of the shank. May require a further thread to be cut into it. Could also be difficult to drill but would provide a good anchor for the assembly.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 12 July 2016 at 6:06 AM, wgregt said:

I'm waiting on the redesigned files at this point. I'll let you know when I hear more...

Greg

any updates? My GSXR mirrors are feeling lonely on the shelf!!!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I'm curious as to which will happen first, the Tyga headers or the mirror mounts?! :491:

• Like 1

My plan now is to see if I can get them made out of plastic/resin, and then post the plans for the world to take to a 3D printer in their 'hood somewhere. The quantities are far too low to do in AL or any other way, frankly. I'm trying to make changes to the design and get a set made in black to see what they look like. Right now, since the design changes are being done for free I'm at the mercy of the guy doing them on his schedule. I'll call him today and see if I can lean on him a bit maybe.

• 4 months later...

If anyone has the cad file I would love to try printing it on my 3D printer just because I can.  I haven't printed any ABS yet, this would be a good candidate and my ABS filament is feeling left out.  Email it to me if you have it - tilton at gmail.com

• Member Contributer

I fancied doing this modification but couldn't afford to get mounting brackets made up so I thought I'd look at seeing if I could do something without resorting to bespoke mounts. The mirrors i bought were cheap Chinese copies so wasn't to worried if it didn't work.

After a look I thought the mirrors would fit with some modification. I drilled out the pin holding the existing mount and bolted them to the bike with the Honda mount. They fitted but stuck up at an angle. Rather than modifying the mounts I thought I could get the correct angle by using some angled spacers.  I found some suitable tube (an old bent aluminium handlebar) and cut two angled spacers, Put above and below they worked a treat.

The wiring was a little more challenging. a hole drilled into the arm meant I could pull the cables through. in the mirror mount there is a small square hole using this as an egress I drilled a hole through the plastic behind and threaded the wires through and down behind the plastics. A small length of heastshrink over the wires where they ran through the mount and it's all good.

The lights are LED so they flash too fast but an inline resistor will fix that.

Honda 4.jpg

mirror mount.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, WGREGT said:

C'mon Woodie....give us a hand, yeah?

Would love to but currently chasing down an elusive oil leak. once that is sorted I will take it apart and do some decent photo's. I need to as I now have some tube stock to make some better spacers and when I do that I'll include the pictures.

I love the spacer idea....simplicity at it's best.  I am currently test printing the original adapter to see how it works out.  The first print was good even at medium resolution and in PLA.  I am trying a different orientation to see if the delamination issues I expect to happen based on how a 3D printer works can be avoided.

IMG_20170405_083135713.jpg

IMG_20170405_082052589.jpg

IMG_20170405_082045509.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Sorry for the delay WGREGT.. Still chasing the elusive oil leak, found it at last but there seems to be a dearth of VFR Gaskets in the UK !

First I used the bracket to mark where the hole in the back of it was and drilled through with an 8mm drill.

Indicator 1.jpg

I then drilled a 3mm hole in the back of the indicator stalk and pulled the wires through, to protect them I slid a length of heat shrink tubing over them.

Indicator 2.jpg

Then fed them through the hole in the bracket,

Indicator 3.jpg

and then through the hole in the fairing

Indicator 4.jpg

. They drop down between the Fairing mount and the plastic and the cables are long enough to reach where I'd cut the original connectors off. I replaced these with Bullet Crimps and added a cheap LED resistor pack (£2.99 from ebay)

Indicator 5.jpg

Last pick you can just see the new spaces made from more substantial thick wall Aluminium tubing that replaced the old bits of Handlebars I had used originally.

Indicator 6.jpg

I have used it for the 70 mile commute, 70MPH+ Motorway work and they don't seem to move, although they do vibrate a bit at low rev's but this could just be incumbent resonance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the pics. The vibration could be caused by using the non-OEM chinese build mirrors. I know other chinese knock-offs for other bikes suffer vibrations, whereas the OEM ones do not. Emgo is a particularly bad example of this. From what I've seen/read, everything they make vibrates terribly. When I worked at a Honda dealer, we'd routinely sell them, and get them back 3 days later for this reason.

Thick wall AL tubing from a handlebar. I wonder if a solid rubber "wedge" cut from a solid rubber stopper would work as well. Just thinking out loud that your tubing is essentially a large "C" shape, and a solid wedge might give more solid base for vibration preventative as well? Plus you can get them at Ace hardware stores here in the states for 50 cents each.

I'll have to check this out this weekend hopefully.

• 4 weeks later...

I just now went out and removed my OEM mirror, kept the base on the bike, and mounted the GSXR mirror to the base using the same honda bolt. And you're right...they do stick up waaaay to far to be useful. After looking at it, to me it looks like a wedge puts a lot of stress on the mount...so I'm gonna make a big move on this today and grind down the underside of the GSXR mirror stalk to see if that lets me slide the mirror in a bit more. This also should let the mirror drop down vertically on the bike to make it more useful. I can always repaint it if it works. I'll post up results.

Sweet Fancy Moses....I think I may have this damn thing solved.This mirror sitting in the top of my toolbox, may mock me no more.

Yesterday I took the grinder to the Suzuki GSXR mirror. It's OEM from Suzuki, so not sure if the aftermarket/Emgo ones etc have the solid metal stalk or not. The ones I have are really solid and easy to grind.

I ground off the 3 "nubs" on the bottom of the mirror, the "ring" of metal on the top of the mounting hole where the bolt goes in, took some of the metal off the bottom of the stalk, all in an effort to get the talk to "drop down" more, as it's waay high otherwise. I have yet to do the wedge (I'm gonna use the hard rubber stopper in the fotos instead of tubing) but it looks like it will work, as it's more in line with the left hand mirror (the OEM honda VFR one) both visually and also sitting on the bike confirms it as being spot on as far as height.

I still need to spray the stalks, of course, but this is looking damn good to my eye, using the OEM Honda bracket.

What do you guys think?

IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3571.JPG

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG

IMG_3587.JPG

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG