Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

Nope. . . NOT lock washers. I'm pretty familiar with my hardware terminology. :) These 'spring washers' are things that I have never seen before. . . still trying to locate my 'new' (not dis-assembled) GSXR mirrors. Then I can tell you precisely where they were located in the assembly.

• Member Contributer

Gents,

I was just looking through "Post a picture of Your VFR" and came across this picture from NIK68, post 31 and post 72,

post-29020-0-84813100-1421689692.jpg

Does this picture help to explain where the Spring washer goes?

post-29020-0-86613300-1421958385.jpg

Is this the type of spring washer you are talking about?

belleville-washer-spring-conical-stainle

Edited by Marooncobra

• Member Contributer

Those cone washers are called Belleville washers and they are usually stacked so if you have 4 of them the go like this.

Bottom one has the high side pointing down.

The next one has the high side point up.

The next, high side down.

Last one, high side up.

Each washer deflects to give a combined load.

• Member Contributer

Gents,

I was just looking through "Post a picture of Your VFR" and came across this picture from NIK68, post 31 and post 72,

post-29020-0-84813100-1421689692.jpg

Does this picture help to explain where the Spring washer goes?

post-29020-0-86613300-1421958385.jpg

Is this the type of spring washer you are talking about?

belleville-washer-spring-conical-stainle

I like those mirror mounts. That's a good looking VFR, but would look a bit better with the stock turn signals removed/ De-dumbo'ed. A bit redundant!

• Member Contributer

Where'd you get those mounts? Make 'em yourself? Looks like that's a hex-head bolt. Drilled all the way thru AND cut?

The original post is from NIK68 and I found his posts (31 & 72) in Post a pic of your VFR. You will need to contact him where he got the mounts from but from his member profile he is located in Greece.

Edited by Marooncobra

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

You find out where these washers were placed originally in the GSXR mirrors?

When I prepped my GSXR mirrors and drilled the centre bolt/shaft to remove the mounting plate the 4 cup Belleville washers were located on the bottom side of the mount. The spring tension is then felt through the whole assembly holding the mirror shaft to the cowling mount.

I also noticed the three detents on the base of the mirror arm and the corresponding detents in the mount. When the mirror shaft and mount are put together they lock into each other and the pressure from the Bellville washers holds the mirror arm in this position and thus stops it flopping forward or back when mounted on the bike.

Edited by Marooncobra

Like Marooncobra said above. The belleville washers are on the underside of the OEM GSXR mount. The stacking order from top to bottom is:

top of riveted 'bolt' (machined end)

mirror stalk

mount

4 belleville washers

1 flat washer

bottom of riveted 'bolt' (this is the actual riveted end)

Photos of dis-assembly below.

IMG 1658

IMG 1659

IMG 1660

IMG 1661

IMG 1662

IMG 1663

IMG 1664

IMG 1665

IMG 1666

IMG 1667

IMG 1668

IMG 1669

• Like 1

OK. Here's where I am on this project.

After MUCH time waiting and discussion, the place that was initially going to cut these for me has dropped out. Why? Too many other projects on their plate. I patiently waited, hoping it would be resolved, but it's not gonna happen.

Just today, I handed the project off to ANOTHER person/shop. We met for a good 2 hours on it, and it comes at a good time: due to concerns from those who have these already, I'm doing a slight/better redesign.

Here's the changes:

-Taking cues for the OEM Suzuki GSXR mirrors, we both thought machining the 3 small "bumps" on the new base where it contacts the mirror would be a good thing. These detents help to keep the mirror tight to the base and in one position, yet still allow it to be folded in by harder pressure if needed.

-But, since the other half of that idea that Suzuki used in their mirrors involves the belleville washers (qty. 4) as well as a flat washer, we thought we'd incorporate those as well. But....where to do that? Where would you put the washers in the current design? The only way is to change the capured threaded hole (where the bolt goes) to a complete thru hole, and put the washers on the bottom, and use a bolt UPWARDS from the bottom of the base to hold those washers, as well as the mirror arm, and put a small nut (and maybe washer) on the other end, under the removable black plastic cap/cover on the mirror.

-This bolt COULD be the threaded rod we talked about ealier with the pre-cut slot running the entire length of the rod. I have to go check @ the hardware store this weekend. The slot still needs to be wide enough to pass the wire out of the side of the rod and to come out of the existing hole in the base as before.

-We'd liike for the 5 washers, as well as the bolt head, to be hidden/inset within the base so you could not see any of it from the outside, of course. So, since we have to take material away in order to inset these washers and bolt head, that weakens the base. So the plan is to add some back by building up the base a bit more, yet still keeping the same footprint.

I'd especially like to know those of you who had the original base and had it split on you (N8sVFR?)...where did it split? Do you have fotos of the pieces?

So, that's where I am now. I know that some of you will be a bit dejected to hear that these are not ready to go, and all I can say is: Sorry about that. I am still actively working on it. I hope to have new drawings within the week, and I'll post some screen grabs here when I get them.

If you guys have thoughts/suggestion/issues/problems that popped up as you were reading this, let me know. You may think of something we have not (though my new machinist's resume does boast of making designing small rotational multi-directional units that are used on the solar panels on satellites that are right above your head right now.) Love to hear your thoughts.

Lastly, I'll add this for those of you who don't know me and that I had not had the pleasure of riding with yet: My personal slogan is “My strength lies solely in my tenacity." I will get this done, rest assured. The timetable has been out of my hands for a bit, but I don't quit on stuff.

Thanks for listening and understanding. I'll post more when I know it.

• Member Contributer

Although i have nothing to contribute to this new design, I understand that this is not your primary, full-time, paying job and that you are doing this in your spare time. I want to thank you for spending so much time on this. I patiently-but also anxiously- await for final product.

C

• Member Contributer

Although i have nothing to contribute to this new design, I understand that this is not your primary, full-time, paying job and that you are doing this in your spare time. I want to thank you for spending so much time on this. I patiently-but also anxiously- await for final product.

C

Well said. I had a feeling that this was the case when we had not heard back in awhile.

Maybe it was a blessing that the delay happened to perfect the design!!!

And although the news is disappointing I appreciate the honesty and your never say die attitude! Thanks brother!

• Member Contributer

I am much more confident in this thread producing a new product that we will actually get our hands on as compared to the new header thread :)

Great job, and its damn near Canadian winter now anyway so we have a good 8-9 months to wait

Wow. We are moving fast.

Since my last posting above, we have:

-made 3 rounds of CAD drawings with improvements each time

-sourced and bought 4 different kids of bolts/nuts, none of which have the conical shape on the bottom

-added the 3 "bumps" on the top of the base in the same size/position as seem on the GSXR OEM base. This will help it lock into the steps.

-drilled the mount hole clear thru to allow for the OEM belleville washers to be used, which allow it to hold tension on the mirror

-inset the jam nut and washers into the base, thus allowing it to be hidden from view

-kept the wire exit hole as before, within the base footprint, to allow the drill hole to be hidden by the base when installed

I just spoke to he machinist/designer, and I think his plan is to start cutting samples monday am. More when I know it.

Just looked back thru this thread to see the date when I got the CAD drawings from Darth: post #230, 28 OCT 2014. Looks like I may come close to a full year on this, assuming I get in-hand finished pieces by the end of this month...ahhhh..it feels like it was only yesterday...

Edited by wgregt

• Member Contributer

Is there a sign-up list yet? Count me in...

Oh wait, do 6th gen and 5th gens have the same mirror bolt spacing?

• Member Contributer

Is there a sign-up list yet? Count me in...

Oh wait, do 6th gen and 5th gens have the same mirror bolt spacing?

They're not interchangeable - the spacing on 5th gens is wider.