'04 Vfr Dynotuned Results: 109.3hp / 59.2tq

tinyminds

Results are in. Picked my bike back up from the tuners. Took him almost 3 hours, 26 miles, and 1/2 tank of gas. So much smoother now. As some of you know, I installed 99 VFR Headers on my bike ( Catless Headers ) and already have several mods done before this one including Staintune Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Power Commander 3, and 02 Sensor Eliminators. Heres my before & afters.

Before:

2004 Honda VFR800 (Staintune Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Power Commander 3 "Running Cozye's Map )

After:

2004 Honda VFR800 (Catless 99 Headers, Staintune Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Power Commander 3 "Dynotuned Map")

Before ------ After

@ 20% Throttle Opening

HP: 23.6 ----- 32.8

TQ: 31.8 ----- 36.3

@ 40% Throttle Opening

HP: 47.9 ----- 64.6

TQ: 45.2 ----- 47.1

@ 60% Throttle Opening

HP: 78.3 ----- 87.6

TQ: 51.2 ----- 53.3

@ 80% Throttle Opening

HP: 94.8 ----- 100.3

TQ: 54.6 ----- 56.1

@ 100% Throttle Opening

HP: 101.2 ----- 109.3

TQ: 57.7 ----- 59.2

Vtec is smooth as butter, and the mapping at highway speeds should be any different than I was getting with Cozye's map w/o catless headers. Something I realized he did in the mapping is put a 4 in the 2000rpm 0% slot and a -8 in the 1000rpm 0% slot, to help remove the fuel injection delay, made a huge throttle response difference. Below is a link of the map thats on my PC3 now. Note: This made is designed for catless headers, I wouldn't recommend using it on stock headers.

Heres the map file: Vtec_CatlessHeaders_Staintunes_K_N_PC3_No_O2s_.djm

Time to go ride!

• Like 1

The max power numbers (100%) don't surprise me much, as the 9-10 HP has become standard VFR "header lore". However, your midrange improvements are quite significant! Those 40-60% numbers are huge! :beer:

I'm sure we're all interested in hearing your +1.gif+1.gif+1.gif :squid: ride report. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

WOW! +1.gif Freaking sweet Jason!

That 40% throttle opening jump is astounding to me. :thumbsup: I would be shocked if your fuel mileage didn't improve by at least 4-6 mpg. That is simply awesome. Do you have the graph to scan in and post so we can see the curve and RPM?

keith

Those are great numbers Jason, it sure pays to have someone worth a hoot to take the time to Build a proper map!

Awesome!

I may have to through my catless headers on now! :rolleyes:

Guest black06vfr

WOW!!! :rolleyes: Kinda makes you wonder what the best 5th gen has pulled, may be we will put an end to all this 5th gen vs 6th gen stuff

Edited by black06vfr

• Member Contributer
I predict a sharp near term increase in the price of 98-99 headers. :thumbsup:

:rolleyes: Kind of the reverse of all the VFR stock seats popping up on ebay for sale after our Sergant group buy.

• Member Contributer

That is really cool!

Thanks for posting the map. I'm going to load it on my bike and see how it works.

RosscoB

• Member Contributer
WOW!!! :rolleyes: Kinda makes you wonder what the best 5th gen as pulled, may be we will put an end to all this 5th gen vs 6th gen stuff

And it is very likely that Jason got a "good" engine in his bike to start with. With the vagaries of mass production (even on the small scale of VFR engines) some will be better than others right from the start.

I believe that a proper break in (not a factory manual soft break in) of the new engine is critical in how it will perform over time. I know my cousins 2000 VFR that we picked up last month in Lutz, FL is stronger than my 2001. I almost felt on a back to back ride with him last week that his still feels stronger even with my new rear sprocket (+2). :o

Oh well, after a big bore kit and some work I will be satisfied. :beer:

Besides, I thought the larger diameter exhaust header that Jason was putting would reduce his midrange torque...I was wrong and glad of it.

Guest VFRbar

That's pretty significant. I predict that this will be a VERY popular post, which in turn makes you wonder why at least one exhaust manufacturer has not had the foresight to come up with a full exhaust. When people are willing to pay a wad of cash for catless headers, it should be a no-brainer. Let's see, manufacture a full exhaust for a sportbike with a two-year development schedule or for a VFR that many owners say needs more power and hasn't changed for six years.

Thanks so much for this interesting post. It will definitely be worth following. :rolleyes:

Might as well plan on buying the stainless Motad pipes now... the 99's won't be worth it anymore! :rolleyes:

Congrats Jason! :thumbsup:

How much better do the 'tunes sound with the new pipes?

• Member Contributer

HOT DAMN! THANX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Schwing!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a deal Jason. Did he give you a graph of the results. I'm really curious to see what the two curves look like.

EDIT: Read the whole thread. :music:

Edited by vfrjim2002

• Member Contributer
I may have to through my catless headers on now! :rolleyes:

DUDE! Are your referring to the ones I sold you a few years ago? Do you mean to tell me that you never ever put them on?

You lazy sonuva.......... :goofy:

As the originator of this mod :beer: , I've always wondered what kind of gains it made besides a faster revving engine and louder exhaust.

At the 2003 VFRevolt, Baileyrock and I did some rollons. :beer: I had the catless headers installed along with a tfi box and bafflectomied stock mufflers. We did a few 2nd gear rusn and we were about even so I thought the better sound and lighter weight were the chief benefits of the mod. It was months later that I realized I'm limp wristed sissy boy when it comes to a roll on. I only roll it to about 7 or 8/10th's throttle. DOH!!! Kinda' like a biological rev limiter.

If we would have switched bikes, I believe Kevin would have walked on me good but the thought didn't cross my mind to swap since we are about equal weight and there were too many good roads to ride.

I may have to through my catless headers on now!

DUDE! Are your referring to the ones I sold you a few years ago? Do you mean to tell me that you never ever put them on?

You lazy sonuva.......... :goofy:

As the originator of this mod :beer: , I've always wondered what kind of gains it made besides a faster revving engine and louder exhaust.

At the 2003 VFRevolt, Baileyrock and I did some rollons. :beer: I had the catless headers installed along with a tfi box and bafflectomied stock mufflers. We did a few 2nd gear rusn and we were about even so I thought the better sound and lighter weight were the chief benefits of the mod. It was months later that I realized I'm limp wristed sissy boy when it comes to a roll on. I only roll it to about 7 or 8/10th's throttle. DOH!!! Kinda' like a biological rev limiter.

If we would have switched bikes, I believe Kevin would have walked on me good but the thought didn't cross my mind to swap since we are about equal weight and there were too many good roads to ride.

Who is this??? :rolleyes:

I don't know what your talking about. I did invest in some unobtanium metals a few years back that look to show some great returns! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Thats pretty sweet. Interesting map. I always like to compare various maps. I predict it will use more fuel though, take a look at your cruising rpm ranges at 20-40% throttle. I think thats where a lot of gas is used. Report your mileage back.

Those numbers look great. I'd like to have seen a bone stock base run on the same dyno.

Thats pretty sweet. Interesting map. I always like to compare various maps. I predict it will use more fuel though, take a look at your cruising rpm ranges at 20-40% throttle. I think thats where a lot of gas is used. Report your mileage back.

Those numbers look great. I'd like to have seen a bone stock base run on the same dyno.

Just as any "resident PC guru" would! :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Jason, you are da man! Looks like you'll be the one to catch up with at the Gap soon. I just have a plain ole VFR....