It Is Now Time For Some Serious Modifications...

toro1

• Member Contributer
Still waiting........ :fing02:

Fine John, I wanted to keep this a surprise until I got everything anodized, but you now have left me no choice...

gallery_11118_2864_43010.jpg

prototype_pics.jpg

gallery_11118_2864_195644.jpg

prototype_pics2.jpg

gallery_11118_2864_38874.jpg

prototype_pics3.jpg

gallery_11118_2864_32758.jpg

prototype_pics4.jpg

I have been really really busy lately.

• Member Contributer
gallery_11118_2864_43010.jpg

prototype_pics.jpg

Looking at your turbo bracket I'd subtract the triangle cut out for lightnest and add the metal back for

strength... this beautiful machined aluminum piece looks crank prone to me in that junction...

• Member Contributer

This thread has gone on for so long it has become boring. There has been good solid innovation when something new is posted then another long delay before the next installment. Gets to the road-going prototype then the longest delay of all. I could not imagine what was taking so long since it all seemed just fine. Since it was mainly cnc all Toro needed to do was stick in another chunc of ally, register the job center & press Go to make more. Then he teased us with a photo of the intercooler.

Now he shows those exquisite plenums. I do a bit of cnc occasionally and appreciate the workmanship. Those chamfers on the edges are a ballache to do but it makes the job stand out. Exquisite work there Toro but get this thing done already.

Don't agree with BLS. You have cut out unfunctional material around the neutral axis. Have to acknowledge that vibration induced cracking may develop.

• Member Contributer
Looking at your turbo bracket I'd subtract the triangle cut out for lightnest and add the metal back for

strength... this beautiful machined aluminum piece looks crank prone to me in that junction...

That's 0.500" thick 7075, with generous corner radii. If that bracket cracks, then something has gone incredibly wrong.

Wow! fantastic machining. those parts look great and robust. I was wondering whether you considered using CF/Composite for some of these, like the intake lower box you show here. Would it come out cheaper than doing this all in machined aluminum billet? There seems to be a lot of machining labor time and material with those bigger/more complicated billet parts.

Beck

95 VFR

Believe it or not Beck, it is still cheaper to machine those parts out of aluminum than it is out of CF/composite or to have it cast, unless of course I start selling vast quantities. Plus, who said I wasn't making certain parts out of carbon fiber?...

Is that plenum for stage two, or is that still to come??!?!

John, that plenum was designed for both "stages" as it can accept an intercooler or simply the intake hat. I had to do quite a bit of design work to figure out an airbox that would perform a double function like that, but I think it's going to work out great. Plus, it will let an existing customer in the field upgrade their kit, if they ever want to, without having to buy different parts.

This thread has gone on for so long it has become boring. There has been good solid innovation when something new is posted then another long delay before the next installment. Gets to the road-going prototype then the longest delay of all. I could not imagine what was taking so long since it all seemed just fine. Since it was mainly cnc all Toro needed to do was stick in another chunc of ally, register the job center & press Go to make more. Then he teased us with a photo of the intercooler.

Now he shows those exquisite plenums. I do a bit of cnc occasionally and appreciate the workmanship. Those chamfers on the edges are a ballache to do but it makes the job stand out. Exquisite work there Toro but get this thing done already.

Don't agree with BLS. You have cut out unfunctional material around the neutral axis. Have to acknowledge that vibration induced cracking may develop.

Sorry to disappoint, Ralph. I still have to work in order to afford this development, thus my time is stretched thin. Plus, every part (and I mean every single part) of the first prototype has been redesigned for this kit. I refuse to offer a subpar product to anyone, and that meant tweaking of what I had already done.

Again, that cut-out portion of the bracket has the same bending resistance as the lower portion of the bracket and even greater torsional rigidity. I can't forsee it ever becoming a problem as it is already over-engineered.

Also, as far as the ETA for the kits is concerned, wait until I get the bike running again. I hate making promises I can't keep...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
I was wondering about this "FI" suddenly showing up! Did you get it sorted ot? do you know where the bug was? How about Sprockets for this kit, wil there be bigger front sprocket included in the kit?

Oh yeah, that was sorted a while ago. The light came on due to the MAP sensor seeing positive pressure (that is, boost). No sprocket change necessary, though I currently run the bike with -1 front/+2 rear, which makes the front end very light, very often. :goofy:

I can only hope that the individuals that committed to buying a Torocharger will follow through. There obviously has been an enormous amount of time and effort in fine tuning this "product". Don't let the man down.

Well, no one has really committed to anything yet. I just saw demand coming from all over the place and thought I'd give it a shot. Despite having an excellent hp/$ ratio, it's not going to be a cheap kit, but then again, you get what you pay for. The 5th-gen was developed first as that is the bike I own, but there is obviously more business in the 6th-gen marketplace.

I look at this upgrade in the following manner: if you love your bike (like I do) -- the way it rides, the comfort it has, the uniqueness that comes with having a V4, gear driven cams (or VTEC), & a single sided swingarm, the exhaust note to die for -- and find yourself wanting the power that the current big boys have, this is the best, most affordable route to go. Even with a good trade-in or sale price, adding a supercharger to your current ride is still cheaper than buying new or slightly used, and you get to keep the bike you know and love.

Obviously this is not a mod for everyone, as quite a few riders are more than happy with their bike's performance. Rather, this is for the riders who want something different, something more. It will not net you better fuel mileage, it will not improve your handling, and it will not transform your VFR into a GP bike, but it will put the biggest, stupidest grin on your face every time you twist the throttle, and that, to me, is what it's all about.

• Member Contributer

If the blower stops, there is zero airflow and the motor stops running. Unless you are MadMax with the last of the V8 interceptors and that magical supercharger nob on the shifter!

Wouldnt the air flow from the engine be able to still rotate the blades. Just like how wind going through fan blades (thats turned off).

Yes, you could run it without the belt attached. The outlet of the supercharger has 1.5" ID hole, and it can pull air past the impeller blades. If you really wanted to bypass the blower, you can always just unhook the tubing from the outlet, too. The question now becomes, why?

The way this system is set-up, while cruising or under part throttle conditions, it's just like having a stock bike as the boost is bypassed and there's virtually no parasitic load from the supercharger. In other words, ride it normal and it will get the same fuel mileage as stock.

In the past, the big roots blowers and earlier centrifugals didn't run any type of bypass, so essentially they were always compressing air and doing work (and sapping power from the engine). With the bypass, the impeller spins in a vacuum, doing no work, thus the power required to keep the roller-friction gearbox and small impeller spinning is minimal to say the least.

It's not like a fan, its an impeller of a centrifugal pump, there is not that much area for the air to pass through as it works off of pressure (boost). IF the bike did run it would not be very well....At all. And the engine, no matter how hard it could "suck" would ever turn the impeller on a supercharger, as they can easily have an impeller speed of 50,000RPM.

I too highly doubt the impeller would turn, and remember, this unit spins to 150,000 RPM! If the bike was run without the blower and nothing else changed, the mapping would be off and it certainly wouldn't be more efficient than running the supercharger at all times.

I can only hope that the individuals that committed to buying a Torocharger will follow through. There obviously has been an enormous amount of time and effort in fine tuning this "product". Don't let the man down.

Hey I've ridden with Dan, behind the prototype. You can bet that he will have my money as soon as I can scrape enough of it together.

People have committed? Without even knowing a price? This isn't a $100 farkle, we're in the price range of buying a whole new bike...I'm really interested but honestly, buying a $5K add-on to a 10 year old bike doesn't make much $ense to me. A 6th gen kit would seem a lot more marketable in the long run.

Ooooo, Yeah let's all run out and buy a bike that we don't like don't want and already feel is much less than our 8-10 year old bikes.

Then lets all spend even more of our hard earned cash on a performance product that will make it faster but still won't address the big three problems.

If I could not have the supercharger for my 01, it would not be the end of the world. To be sure there are other bikes in the world that tempt me all the time, but not a 6th gen.

No 6th gen will ever disgrace my garage.

Oh and before the inferno starts, I'm not against those of you that have 6th gens. I just can't stand the bike.

Sorry.

Dan, When? is still the big burning question.

Guest hoozel

I have just finished my own Supercharger project on a 2005 GSXR1000. Toro gave me some great advice and offered to help me where ever he could. I bought a CaliSuperbikes kit, got ripped off. he is a conartist... among other things. anyway back on track... it is a Rotrex Blower that has been designed from the ground up just like Toro did. Now its sporting an Intercooler attached to a new plenum, bigger injectors, PC3, Ignition module, Multi hub for boost monitoring, LCD screen. we reshaped the headers to allow a propper Air intake and ceramic coated the pipe to prevent the heat from the Headers. I just got it back from the Headers guy and rode it last night for about an hour, but in Traffic. It is terrifying to say the least. it goes in for Dyno tuning on Friday July 4th (not a holiday in Canada). It had 198hp before we redesigned the whole thing with the intercooler and propper intake. We think a realistic 215-225hp at 3400 ft elevation in Calgary Alberta Canada. I also wanted to say my finished product is no where near the fit and finish of Toro's. his is a work of art !

Guest hoozel
I have just finished my own Supercharger project on a 2005 GSXR1000. Toro gave me some great advice and offered to help me where ever he could. I bought a CaliSuperbikes kit, got ripped off. he is a conartist... among other things. anyway back on track... it is a Rotrex Blower that has been designed from the ground up just like Toro did. Now its sporting an Intercooler attached to a new plenum, bigger injectors, PC3, Ignition module, Multi hub for boost monitoring, LCD screen. we reshaped the headers to allow a propper Air intake and ceramic coated the pipe to prevent the heat from the Headers. I just got it back from the Headers guy and rode it last night for about an hour, but in Traffic. It is terrifying to say the least. it goes in for Dyno tuning on Friday July 4th (not a holiday in Canada). It had 198hp before we redesigned the whole thing with the intercooler and propper intake. We think a realistic 215-225hp at 3400 ft elevation in Calgary Alberta Canada. I also wanted to say my finished product is no where near the fit and finish of Toro's. his is a work of art !

Doesn't exist without links and pics! :warranty:

ask and you shall receive.... these are old pics from first design, i will get some new ones soon. oops wait cant post em. must have to donate to site. i have pics on other forums as well a Dyno sheet from old design on the edmonton sport riderz forum.

Edited by hoozel

ask and you shall receive.... these are old pics from first design, i will get some new ones soon. oops wait cant post em. must have to donate to site. i have pics on other forums as well a Dyno sheet from old design on the edmonton sport riderz forum.

Must upload pics to your gallery first, helpfile:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...E=01&HID=17

Then insert in post using the gallery posting tool:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...E=01&HID=18

Guest hoozel

Must upload pics to your gallery first, helpfile:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...E=01&HID=17

Then insert in post using the gallery posting tool:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...E=01&HID=18

ahh got it thanks man !

gallery_12175_3968_520135.jpg

Front side view.jpg

gallery_12175_3968_64383.jpg

side fairing.jpg

gallery_12175_3968_354431.jpg

mild tune super.jpg

Its sporting the PC3 with a Multi Hub hooked into a GM3 bar Map, and Ignition Module. Wideband Commander to go in soon with LCD interface.

This dyno was done with Ignition retarding quite heavily, the tuner was scared to dyno it, he didnt have much experience with a Blower. So it is extremely rich and ignition retarded till we could finish the redesign. I will post new pics and the new Dyno after Friday the 4th.

Edited by hoozel

Guest hoozel
That's wild man. You'll be putting out more HP than the WSB bikes do!

And the bottom end will be spectacular. smile.gif

I don't know, with only 105 HP at 7k it might be a little sluggish. :fing02:

Just what I need, a GSXR 1k with more power! :unsure:

here's my 2001 stroked GSXR1000 before we added Cams, vs a Stock 2005 GSXR1000. For comparison.

gallery_12175_3968_192972.jpg

stock 2005 GSXR1000 vs a Stroked 2001 GSXR1000

• Member Contributer

Nice job Tyler. I forget, are you running a C15-60 on there? The reason I ask is that you are very close to maxing the blower out if that is indeed the model. I can't wait to see what you come up with after the next dyno session.

I'm helping out another one of calisuperbike's customers now; he's got a ZX-10R and actually got shafted worse than you. Let's just hope his turns out as well as yours did.

Guest hoozel
Nice job Tyler. I forget, are you running a C15-60 on there? The reason I ask is that you are very close to maxing the blower out if that is indeed the model. I can't wait to see what you come up with after the next dyno session.

I'm helping out another one of calisuperbike's customers now; he's got a ZX-10R and actually got shafted worse than you. Let's just hope his turns out as well as yours did.

Yes i beleive it is the C15-60. Thanks so much for helping out with advice. Its really good of you to take the time to help us out. Yeah,maybe one day i will catch up with Jason Keats. he even scammed a guy a complete bike, that guy pressed charges i heard. might be why the website is now down. Man that guy could sure sell. what got me was that articale in Super Streetbike magazine. I was like, well he made it into a magazine he has to be trustworthy and must have a good product..... umm no.

Once again i would have never got it done without your advice and a couple local turbo guys.

• Member Contributer

Okay, if you find out that you can't pull any more power out of your bike, it's probably time to upgrade the supercharger to a C30 series. The blower is beyond its limit, as can be seen from the dyno graph where it maxes out at 11,500. Even if you keep the same boost ratio, just by stepping up to the C30-74 you'll see substantial power increases due to much increased efficiency and breathing room of the supercharger, and should put peak power somewhere in the 230-240 range, and peak boost just under 9psi. If you choose to increase the boost to say, 12psi max, then the power jumps to over 260, maybe even approaching 275 under the right conditions. Whoa mama.

Guest hoozel
dOOd, If I weren't married with children, I'd be all over the SC kit. sad.gif

ca08_al_bundy.jpg

Ok here is some pics of the Second Gen design, we did lots of work customizing the fairings to fit. It now looks like a stock bike almost.... except the blower area had to be cut out. So i am gonna need dome custom fiberglass work.

here is the headers reshaped and moved over so we could get a propper intake on it, run over to the other side for cool fresh air.

gallery_12175_3968_283423.jpg

Closeup of header and Radiator.JPG

Left side with Intake all ceramic coated.

gallery_12175_3968_572252.jpg

Close up of Intake.JPG

Top down view of Intercooler and blowoff valve.

gallery_12175_3968_527057.jpg

Top down view intercooler.JPG

Guest hoozel

I have come across a problem though. as the wheel lifts into the air, which it does quite a bit now. I found out that the Blue cap on the Oil resevoir no matter how tight you have it, is not sealed. it is a breather cap, so oil likes to flow over everything..lol. yeah bike was smoking all of a sudden, I got off and went "uh oh this is gonna be expensive" ! but it turned out to be the traction fluid. So we are gonna need a machined cap that is sealed with a nipple in the top, attach a breather line and run that to a higher point, maybe up front with dash or something. If you can come up with a cap, i will for sure wire you money for one. I have lost my machining contact. lol.

• Member Contributer

The mods look good. :fing02:

As for the breather cap, even though I oftentimes also have a "light" front end, I never have oil come out. You need no more than for the reservoir to be half full -- is your filled more than that? If so, take some of that fluid out of there and see how it works.

dOOd, If I weren't married with children, I'd be all over the SC kit.

Rob, just start saving a penny here and a $100 bill there, and it'll add up in no time.

dOOd, If I weren't married with children, I'd be all over the SC kit. sad.gif

ca08_al_bundy.jpg

There was a guy on a local board who was in a similar predicament. He posted a thread titled "Can I mow your lawn?" Rob you will have to take on some additional gainful employ to finance this project. Posted more in jest than seriousness.

Oh believe me, I make enough money, I easily could find the funding by deferring something. Heck, I'm spending about 15 grand redoing the kitchen this year. Got no car payments, no credit card bills (oops, forgot, I do owe 815 bucks on my new snowblower, but that'll be done in December), house will be paid off at the end of August, etc.

It's just that the basic understanding as to why I NEED this sort of a mod is way beyond her capability to understand.

You know all those cool hardcover coffee table books they sell on superbikeplanet.com? Like Valentino Rossi's autobiography, "What if I had never tried"? And Julian Ryder's "MotpGP In camera"? Yeah, those type of books I'd like to get for my birthday, or maybe Christmas? You know, those books I don't have, and never will get, unless I buy them myself and get heck for spending our family's money on? sad.gif

Oh yeah, did I mention that she is allowed to do absolutely anything on the planet that isn't illegal or immoral? Just that she doesn't choose to do (insert activity here). Not my fault. :shrugs:

Cheaper than a new bike anyhow, right? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hoozel

Well after custom tuning, which was delayed by a faulty fuel pump. I drove 350kms with no fuel pressure, lucky i had laptop and i richened it up huge. So with big 35lb injectors and me adjusting it, i hobbled into town at about 110kmh. Max speed. lol. So he spent day diagnosing instead of tuning, and said fuel pump bad. So mechanic found me a 50PSI pump replaced it for me. he then removed the Secondary Butterflies and proceeded to tune it. Now new problem came up. there was no reason to have big injectors stock ones would have flown enough fuel with only 6-8psi, he said you can squish the stock regulator, and they would probly be fine. I think because a GSXR1000 has 2 sets of injectors and the Shower ones only come on at the top 25%. So the stock would have been fine. oh well. So it is runing like ass in the bottom end, and kinda surges. But oh my god does it have power. 4th 5th 6th feel like 3rd gear. the accelleration is nuts. It put down about 205hp. Mechanic said its got another 15hp or so, but he said to keep it rich for safety. I have no problem with that, its more power than i can handle anyway. I will post the dyno sheet soon. Mechanic is a skilled Tuner with Boost and just Motor mods. James works for Walt Healy's in Calgary AB, and is the crewchief for Ethan Barkley a Champion Drag racer up here in Canada. they are running a 400+hp GSXR1000. its pretty insane. EBSPEED.com.

Edited by hoozel

• 3 weeks later...

We are all itching to get our hands on this project. BUT how would we all feel if Dan had rushed the project just to pacify our cravings for the kit . He needed the time to sort out the gremlins not only in the hardware department but the other side being paperwork, shipping schedules, patents, blue prints etc, which would leave us to find that parts are not up to the job or the BHP rating is much lower than predicted. It takes time to create a great malt. Dan has spent the last 2+ years of his life designing and testing this project to create not just another bolt on blower but a methodically engineered work of art. It takes a person with great vision, skill and determination to pull off such an idea as this originally was.

The positive blogs from all you guys have been great to read and will only inspire him to keep on perfecting the kit to a point when he has reached perfection and we will all reap in the bountiful rewards. So, keep taking the patience pills a little while longer and really look forward to the launch.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

What's that saying again, "good things come to those who wait?"

Let's just say that when the time is right, a whole slew of information will become available. In the meantime, though, I can tell you that the bike is running better than ever...

...way better than ever :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest black06vfr

Good things come to those who wait . . . . . but only what's left behind by those who hustle!

Believe me, we are all abaited breath for what you have in store for us. Your attention to detail and perfectionist ways will serve to a great, reliable product.

Now finish and share your toys :fing02:

Figured I would stop by and give this thread a :bump: It hasn't seen any action in the last twelve days. I am slowing putting the money away for one of these kits for the sixth gen when it comes out that is. I don't think that there should be that many adjustments for VTEC as there are many boosted Honda civics out there with VTEC.

Edited by black06vfr

• Member Contributer

Good things come to those who wait . . . . . but only what's left behind by those who hustle!

Believe me, we are all abaited breath for what you have in store for us. Your attention to detail and perfectionist ways will serve to a great, reliable product.

Now finish and share your toys :comp13:

Figured I would stop by and give this thread a :bump: It hasn't seen any action in the last twelve days. I am slowing putting the money away for one of these kits for the sixth gen when it comes out that is. I don't think that there should be that many adjustments for VTEC as there are many boosted Honda civics out there with VTEC.

VTEC on Civics is completely different than on the bikes. The way the VTEC kicks in on a 6th gen radically changes breathing. Therefore any SC kit will have to be tuned accordingly. Dyno tuning 100% required.

• Member Contributer

I am still excite to see this come together. I placed my name on the board #2 in line as production starts a long time ago. I am sure it is worth the wait. Magellan Is going to be the lead installer with me trying to help and getting in the way. PM me when your ready for my shipping info. You are the man!