4th Gen. Vfr/cbr F4i Body Conversion

Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. IIRC the Airtech gear is not the most asethetically pleasing bodywork around - it's pretty much raceglass - although I suppose there's very little out there that's going to be comparable to the OEM bodywork for quality.

Thurn in Germany make some stufff for the 4th Gen VFR - http://www.thurn-motorsport.de/html/verkleidung-rc36.html

Here's their RC45 kit:

43-SH4536-rechts.jpg

Back o/t - Hobie, where's the fully-assembled pics??? : )

Guest neil in Vic
Neil: Welcome to the forum. Adapting ove rhe RC45 bodywork from Airtech shouldn't be a big hassle, and for what you can sell all your good VFR stock bodywork for, it should definitely pay for the new fiberglas.

Post up pics for us from time to time. Hey, post up a pic of you and your bike now. :thumbsup:

Thanks Hobie,

Your project is a "pearler" as we say here in Oz!

I've done a search and found a lovely RC45/4 gen replica posted by vfroem, and replied to his post on that thread.

There was a post in "Body and Paint" but I couldn't open it for some reason - perhaps it is too old?

I will post a photo of my beloved '83 when I work out how!

Cheers,

Neil.

Guest neil in Vic

Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. IIRC the Airtech gear is not the most asethetically pleasing bodywork around - it's pretty much raceglass - although I suppose there's very little out there that's going to be comparable to the OEM bodywork for quality.

Thurn in Germany make some stufff for the 4th Gen VFR - http://www.thurn-motorsport.de/html/verkleidung-rc36.html

Here's their RC45 kit:

43-SH4536-rechts.jpg

Many thanks Phantom, I appreciate the advice regarding Airtech. I've emailed Thurn them for more info. I will start a new thread to ask a few more questions.

Cheers,

Neil.

• Member Contributer

Just because I can't help myself, I found this RC211v replica bodywork for those of us lucky enough to own the right bike for it:

gallery_8151_2948_23555.jpg

BPFS-0011.jpg

Here is the writeup

http://www.tyga-performance.com/camel/pictures.php

Does anybody think we could squeeze our big 750's into this plastic?

Absolutely stunning.

Edited by sesand

WARNING, HIJACK IN PROGRESS

On the Tyga RC211V body work for the NC30-35, I PRESUME it will fit the 94-97 VFR frame (no "Air Duct"). Or at least we will find out soon.

Larry

VFRrider

Sorry, Marty. I knew it would be a bad idea to bring this up smile.gif

Larry: let me know if it works. I won't be "changing horses in the middle of the stream" on the F4i project, but I may try something crazy later. Nothing like coming up with new ideas I can't use!

Foto: Nice work - I'm joining the other thread, now, too smile.gif

Why couldn't you guys do all these conversions last year so I could just follow along instead of learning the hard way (worse yet, paying someone else to do it)???

Hey, No Problem....I think it's a good idea to snoop around and look at all the different fiberglas pieces that we can end up putting on our bikes. I am already looking a alternate rear tail sections to use. I think Sharkskinz fiberglas makes ones like the MV Augusta tail section, that would look cool.

The guy on here that posted about pictures from the Tokyo M/C show , had a great fiberglas front and rear sections called APE bodywork which looks better than the CBR stuff. This just gives us new ideas. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I'll be selling the complete rear section to put on something different within the next year.

• Member Contributer

Do you guys ever ride or just fiddle with mods all the time? Sheesh! wink.gif

Post some pics of your new speedo, Marty! I may end up with the same one if I like it enough!

Is there a website for the APE bodywork? The one I found just has their performance parts, or else I can't find the plastic link.

Edited by sesand

Do you guys ever ride or just fiddle with mods all the time? Sheesh! wink.gif

Post some pics of your new speedo, Marty! I may end up with the same one if I like it enough!

Is there a website for the APE bodywork? The one I found just has their performance parts, or else I can't find the plastic link.

Well, I did ride close to 1000 miles last weekend total at the TexasMac event.

I took pictures of my new speedo, but I just developed problems on my home PC (bad power supply I think) so as soon as I get those issues resolved, then I'll be able to put up some pictures of it in action.

I didn't have any luck finding the APE bodywork either. Can you post up the link to their website?

• Member Contributer

Good news! The bike is expected to be done by this weekend. Unfortunately its taken some more time because the headlights on the F4i are H7's whereas the VFR has goofy versions of the H4. I was hoping I could just install a shim and throw some H4s in there, but apparently they are too big, so now more playing with wires will be required.

Bad news! I probably won't be able to pick it up because my riding buddy will be graduating, and he's the only one crazy enough to drive me out there and (possibly) help me ride it back in case my shoulder starts to hurt! Hmmm, maybe if I ride my bicycle.....

I've waited 5 months to ride, perhaps it won't hurt to wait a little longer.

Edited by sesand

Guest vfrrider

:beer: Sure I ride, its just been.... forgot how long.

I'll get right on that, right after the Beast gets new clothes, and that cool license plate frame, and got the frame for the RC211V replica, so it will be...

Soon, before I kill something.

Keep us in the loop on the F4 conversion, and the RC45 look too. That should be easier.

Larry

To the garage I go, tools a flying.

VFR assembly type person.

• Member Contributer

In lieu of feeling sorry for myself because the bike isn't done, I went to the shop and picked up my plastic so I could make some progress, and because I'm too vain to ride my bike home partially unpainted :goofy:

Needless to say, my first time painting didn't yield the best results, but I'm satisfied considering I did the whole thing in about 4 hours (most of which was spent removing rashed F4i stickers). I also got a little lazy on using filler primer for the larger scratches, which, in hindsight, I probaby should have used. Probably could have used a third bottle of spray paint, too. It also would have been better to use the Duplicolor adhesion promotor instead of the sandable primer, although I'm not too worried because I didn't sand off all the old paint. Where's the rewind button?? Anyways, the upper looks pretty good, mostly because I didn't have to mess with it - just primed and painted it.

Without further adieu:

From this (freaking rashed stickers took forever to remove - especially on the right fairing where the guy Bondo'ed over the sticker to repair one of the screw holes :pissed: Oh, and Bondo doesn't sand well at all, or I would have been able to level it out). I guess for the price I paid for the fairings, I shouldn't complain:

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

To this:

IMG_0041.jpg

Now all I have to do is sit back and watch the paint dry....

Edited by sesand

Update:

#1 hard drive in my PC crashed so I lost all ability to post any pictures until I get it fixed.

#2 I sold the bike to my son...Electrodynamic ...never ceases to amaze me the things you do for your kids ....We will post up pictures of the undertail and of the final paint job.

Now, I have been looking far and wide with no sucess to find another VFR to do another drastic modification to. I have ideas on using a different tail section but think that I will stick with the F4i front end as easy as it is to convert over. I have been looking over different front body kits but none seem to look as if they will fit as easily as the F4i. I initially looked at the bodywork kit for the Ducati 1098. I'm still snooping around. I called APE racing and they said they do not make any bodywork, so the picture from the Tokyo bike show is something completely different.

Anyway, the search continues.....there isn't a 3rd or 4th Gen bike within a 1000miles of here that hasn't been sold already. Every listing I've called about is SOLD. Looks like the old Viffers are still a hot commodity. :thumbsup:

If you buy it for cheap enough, you won't have to sell the bodywork to fund the project! Although there is no telling what the guy's reserve is....

Bikeless, eh? You should have kept it until you found another one!

Well, my son's friend who is buying his CBR600 is getting anxious to get it and ride it, so this way both of them can get the bikes they want.....I'm old now anyway.....have a little more patience than those young, snot-nosed, know-it-all whipper-snappers. :goofy:

The old saying, "If it's a good deal today, it'll be a better deal tomorrow". All the old VFR's are going gradually down in price as they naturally do, and since I like the 3rd and 4th Gen bikes the best, I just need to wait around until the right deal comes up. People are crashing bikes as we speak. Everytime you get in a hurry, you lose money.

Is she painted yet or still in primer? Post pics please!

Still in primer, but have chosen the colors......blue and silver like the new cbr600rr models....now have to strip the red paint off of the stock 97 gas tank and prep it before we can shoot the paint on everything.

Also still need to find a dual outlet exhaust tip so that the undertail piece can be cut out for the exhaust opening.

I think Nick might try some stock bars back on it and end up taking the Convertibars off of it. He likes a lower handlebar position than I do...young whippersnappers. +1.gif

Boy, everyone at the last Ride on the Ridge event I went to, loved the small PIAA driving lights I have in the vents. They all commented on how nice it was to look back in the mirrors and have no doubt as to where I was in the group.

I had several people say that I should have decals made up that say VCR on it. +1.gif

I had alot of positive comments on the sound of the exhaust on it too. I've grown to really like the sound of it. I called today to find out if I could still get the same deal on the Micron 240mm Shorty Ultralight Titanium muffler.

It would also fit nicely up under my 93 I'm getting and then expose that nice 8 spoke wheel and remove 13lbs of weight in the process too. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Blammo!

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

I still need to take some pics of the Veypor unit and dash. I was so excited to ride I forgot to do it.

For some reason my camera bleached out the red paint. It almost looks new to the naked eye.

Edited by Baileyrock

• Member Contributer

Veypor VR2 dash. Its so freaking tiny - I think the bike lost about 10lbs just replacing the gauges. Check out the neutral and oil dummy lights (JB's personal touch)!

IMG_0085.jpg

Now to find somewhere to test out all the functions, like the dyno simulator, drag coefficient, 0-60 timed run, etc.

Marty, get some of your pics on here, man!

Edited by sesand

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Looking good Sesand. Nice to see it back together and better than before.

Thank you again for your forks and front fender! Worked like a charm, and don't seem too bad even though I thought you had a good number of miles on them. Still trying to give away your triple tree and calipers to somebody since I didn't need them, but apparently there isn't anybody who needs them. :unsure:

May I also direct your attention to my silly question about brake pedal height adjustment - seems like mystery to me. All help welcome smile.gif

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33833

• Member Contributer

A few things I've noticed since riding again, now with the new F4i bodywork on it:

1. I remembered the bike being fast, but it seems to really move now. Weight savings are probably playing a huge part (although I doubt I cut more than 20-30 lbs or so).

2. Heat from the engine is increased - probably because the grills on the F4i plastic are larger and allow more heat dissipation. Better for engine cooling, better for cold rides, not so good in the heat.

3. The Veypor unit rocks, and I haven't played with most of the extra functions. Haven't tested it in the rain and know nothing about long-term reliability, but it has all the tools so far.

4. I'll say it again, the Veypor unit rocks.

5. Coolmax compression shirts help a lot with #2 above. I received them in the mail on a couple days ago, and basically tested one out all day today with my Hein Gericke mesh jacket. If you don't mind looking like a sausage, they're worth it - like having an air conditioner in your jacket. We were stuck in line at a sobriety check point this afternoon for about 10 minutes. It was about 75 degrees, but with all the gear on I didn't even break a sweat (of course it helped I hadn't been drinking :goofy:).

6. I'm totally addicted to riding. The acceleration, the twisties, the sound of the V4, the sound of the V4, and the sound of the V4.

7. Nobody sees black bikes. They had trouble with the red, but it made a difference. Two cages pulled out in front of me today, once even when I was following Dirtydizzogg in relatively close riding formation. The guy looked right through me, and then pulled out. I may have to move the Stebel Nautilus up on the shopping list.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the bike now. We have to make the side decorative fill panels near the seat and gas tank area, swap back over the 4th Gen gas tank which Nick likes better, and get another stock F4i seat(which he likes better), and the put the undertail panel in. Then we can take things back off and paint it finally.

P1010612.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Electrodynamic

Dad and I just installed the Vapor Trail gauge a little bit ago and MAN it looks great! It took us the greater part of 5 hours to install, but that included numerous trips to the local autoparts store to make the temperature sensor integrate with the factory piping and wiring up for future bar-end turn signals.

After seeing Sebastian's bike I almost want to paint it glossy white. smile.gif I'm sticking with my gut though, I'm going to paint it flat white. It will be the whitest white, no color additives at all. The whitest whites are (naturally) Mercades white and Lamborghini white, so I'm going to skip all of the massive cost associated with those paints (because they are for those particular brands of cars) and go with solid white.

We are going to prep the '97 tank before we take the other panels into the spray booth so we can spray it all at once and then put the '97 tank back on the bike. I liked the '97 tank a LOT better when it was on the bike, even though it was red. The '97 tank just has a much smoother look to it, which I think will finish off the bike nicely.

Wow, I think this is the longest post I've ever made on this forum. Yay me! :unsure:

• Member Contributer

A summary of parts purchased for the project, for those of you thinking about jumping on this (not including radiator and forks, which I was also fortunate enough to need to replace):

F4i Fairing Bracket $48 (new)

F4i Mirror Bracket $84 (new)

F4i headlight $200 (used)

F4i Windshield - Lockhart Speedscreen V2 $70

F4i aftermarket Targa upper $300

F4i lowers $240 (ebay, used)

F4i Front V-fairing $20 (used)

F4i Ram air covers (2) $30

F4i Intake scoops $20

F4i Wiring harness $51

F4i Left hand bar switch $36

flushmount turn signals $23

Veypor speedo/tach $288 (ebay)

Total = 1410

This isn't terrible considering you will probably pay more to replace all this with stock parts (even used). Plus, I think it looks a million times better, although it could still use some NACA ducts :goofy: The more I think about it, I'll probably leave my rear end the way it is and just have the whole thing painted red to finalize the project. Well, after SS brake lines, shift kit, RaceTech springs and Gold valve kit, voltmeter, rim stripes, and Tankslapper are installed, it will be finished!

• Member Contributer
You forgot to include paint cost.

Would you hate me if I told you that I just bought a brand new set of race glass for $250? :goofy:

Paint cost was $50, I just used the rattle cans since it only needs to last for the next year or so. The price quote from the local guy was $800 to repaint the whole bike whatever color I wanted, which I can't really afford right now. All in all, it looks decent and hasn't faded or cracked anywhere (yet) after about 2k miles. The pics were before I waxed and polished it, so it shines a little more now. When I get the above mods installed, I'll take some more pics.

Race glass is usually cheaper because it doesn't have mounting brackets/holes. I was looking on ebay at a set of plastic for about that price but decided it wasn't worth the extra modification needed. The race glass needs to be modified to fit underneath the bike (see Marty's earlier post), something I wasn't going to do myself or pay someone to do. I like my centerstand where it is, and I'd rather spend my few minutes of free time riding :thumbsup:

Edited by sesand

• 6 months later...
Guest codynavyguy

The last post was from me.. I was commenting on sesand's bike. I love the way it looks. I also had a question. I am wanting to do a very similar mod. I was curious if i could use the tail section from an F-4 that has the 2 person seating..The one where the passenger not on the same seat..Wondering if that would be a possibility at all.

The last post was from me.. I was commenting on sesand's bike. I love the way it looks. I also had a question. I am wanting to do a very similar mod. I was curious if i could use the tail section from an F-4 that has the 2 person seating..The one where the passenger not on the same seat..Wondering if that would be a possibility at all.

Sorry I killed your post and thanks for re-posting it! :thumbsup: