4th Gen. Vfr/cbr F4i Body Conversion

How you buy a solo tail and put it on a F4i is beyond my understanding. None of the mounting holes line up as well.

There are two different F4i subframes, also it is a pain but you can get the (F4i) solo tail on with some serious persuading.

one like in this pic?

F4itrackbikeproject06009.jpg

Got the Convertibars on and the new longer throttle cables( 6 inches longer than stock) and the longer choke cable too. In my other post about getting longer cables made I told of going to an old(34 year old shop) and having all new cables made longer...the shop still had some of the original bolts, carbs, etc. laying in the tops of their toolboxes, and all over the workbenches, floors....it was a disaster....looked like a tornado went through there. Should have taken my camera again, but the guy seemed to do a good job on the cables.

Also installed the longer hydraulic hoses for the clutch and brake master cylinders. Russell brand ordered through the local Yamaha dealer ( 1 mile away) And I went ahead and installed the Russell SS brake line kit I bought on Ebay for .99 cents so that it would all match...also got the rear brake line out of SS in the same auction...got it installed too. Then installed the Goodridge Speed Bleeders on the 3 brake calipers and the clutch cylinder.

Found out that the best location for the oil cooler was on top of my bracket that I made to hold the new PIAA bullet driving lights. This was bracket number 4 for the lights. :blink: Anyway, they are in place and the oil cooler was not going to go down below as it was going to hit the fork tubes on full lock. I took the oil cooler hoses and removed them from the holders in front of the radiator so that they would have a lot more room to move around...this allowed me to place the oil cooler horizontal and also provided a place to put a RAM ball mount on the end of the screw that holds the oil cooler in place.

P1010539.jpg

P1010538.jpg

This shows the Veypor gauge in place on the RAM ball mount.

P1010537.jpg

The same bracket for all of this provided a place to mount the factory fuse box.

P1010536.jpg

And here is a front end shot of the new lights in place. There is just enough room below the lights to lay the original bulbs in place and put amber colored lenses cut to fit in the space provided.

P1010540.jpg

I got my 3rd Gen fuel tank in and it is mounted the same in the front of the tank, but the rear of the tank has a slightly longer mounting spot, so I will be making some aluminum plates to bolt on to the original holes and then have an alternate set of holes just rearward so that I can use the original bolt and rubber grommets/bushings

P1010541.jpg

Tomorrow, onto to start fabricating the rear subframe out of aluminum square tubing.

• Member Contributer

:thumbsup: You are my idol!

Just in case anyone was wondering, the VFR instrument panel will NOT FIT behind the F4i front fairing. The plastic surround for the panel was cracked on my bike anyway ($250 to replace just the freaking plastic), so I'm going with the Veypor VR2 as well ($280 shipped on ebay). Sorry I won't be able to post pics of my monster until its done, but I'm not the one working on it! I will, however, post pics of the 9" scar on my arm for those interested in seeing what you can get when you don't pay attention for a split second. Ride safe.

Edited by sesand

• Member Contributer

I wrecked the bike back in December. Don't remember anything that happened. Just went for a ride on Sunday morning and woke up in the MICU. Completely fractured humerus, 5 broken ribs, flail chest, hemothorax, and later found out I had 2 hairline fractures of my scapula. According to the police report, I lost control of the bike going around a corner and lowsided - the bike slid across the street, and I was getting to my knees to get out of the oncoming lane and a truck hit me. I don't think I was going very fast because I didn't even make it across the road with the bike. The road was "damp" but it was an otherwise warm, sunny day (60 degrees) - I find it hard to believe there wasn't some oil/sand/leaves/etc that didn't help.

Hence, I have an excuse to put F4i bodywork on my bike :rolleyes:

Oh, do you know if its "legal" to just run the Veypor unit without the stock gauges? I wasn't sure if there was some kind of rule that required a neutral light, etc. I'm guessing "no" because of all the cruisers out there with just a speedo, but I could be wrong.

Edited by sesand

Hobie1dog I would like to ask some questions & add some opinion if you don't mind.

Do you think the oil cooler will have an effective airflow across face with that set up?

I still don't like the lights that much but then again you would only see them front on, but some neat holes cut out with hole saw in front section would look much better with those lights. I would make a alloy insert to go into cut out hole & then have those round lights sticking through them (same type of look as 12v down lights in a ceiling).

Why have you used a gen3 tank, for better lines or does the rear tail your using line up better on it, I can understand doing it for a rc30 or 45 rep but for F4I I would think you would have to mod rear body work in a major way to fit any tank.

I think the little things are what make a bike look good & the instruments for me need to fill the inside of body work more due to ugly fibre look from body work & all the bkt's etc. I would lose the ram mount & make a fill panel to mount it on & fill that space, plastic, light alloy sheet, etc.

Also I'm a bit lot on the differance between thr F4I tail sections, I will have to go with the pillion seat set up (wife has decided coming for rides as a pillion is a good idea again doh) so might look for a complete rear, do you have any idea what year model may graft in best when looking at subframe you have?

I have a 05 R1 front end on it's way to me so the parts gathering for me is starting to happen :-)

Keep up the good work & keep the posts coming :thumbsup:

Edited by zRoYz

Hobie1dog I would like to ask some questions & add some opinion if you don't mind.

Do you think the oil cooler will have an effective airflow across face with that set up?

I still don't like the lights that much but then again you would only see them front on, but some neat holes cut out with hole saw in front section would look much better with those lights. I would make a alloy insert to go into cut out hole & then have those round lights sticking through them (same type of look as 12v down lights in a ceiling).

Why have you used a gen3 tank, for better lines or does the rear tail your using line up better on it, I can understand doing it for a rc30 or 45 rep but for F4I I would think you would have to mod rear body work in a major way to fit any tank.

I think the little things are what make a bike look good & the instruments for me need to fill the inside of body work more due to ugly fibre look from body work & all the bkt's etc. I would lose the ram mount & make a fill panel to mount it on & fill that space, plastic, light alloy sheet, etc.

Also I'm a bit lot on the differance between thr F4I tail sections, I will have to go with the pillion seat set up (wife has decided coming for rides as a pillion is a good idea again doh) so might look for a complete rear, do you have any idea what year model may graft in best when looking at subframe you have?

I have a 05 R1 front end on it's way to me so the parts gathering for me is starting to happen :-)

Keep up the good work & keep the posts coming :thumbsup:

Thaks for the input and ideas you bring forth. Tha oil cooler should have good air flow coming up from the front vents and with the natural thermodynamics, the heat should flow right up thru the fins. As long as the oil pump keeps a good flow I do not forsee any problems.

I have looked at different ways to do the lights and for now,I like them being hidden and not messing up the smooth bodywork up on top. I do like the twin headlamp setup of the RC45's and such.

The 3rd Gen tank looks better to me, I don't like the big humpback whale design of the 4th Gen bikes, I like the older flat top race bike look.....like most older Yamaha tanks have to them. I will eventually take a mold off of the bottom of the tank and carve out a new top of my own design out of foam and make my own tank out of fiberglas.

Also planning on filling the space up front inside the cowl with decorative cover plates. I may not get that done in time....only 8 days left to do a crap load of work.

If you want to take a pillion the stock f4i rear bodywork would be the way to go. I just don't do passengers at all. Don't like driving with them on the back or the responsibility of them.

Just need gold upside down forks next. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

hey hobie1dog...

you are right about about the oil cooler.. i wrecked once and cut it out and put a 5 inch brass tube in place,, the temp hardly changed..

you may have enough room in the "7" air vents foor another head light..an oblong pair like you you had a pic off.. get them for 20 bucks or so and run 4 head lights.. as those lights you have are not very good.. (had some an a cheap rc 30 wanna be)...

or you can can some black mesh and fill in the gap arould the lights..

in any case looks good!:thumbsup:

have fun! :goofy:

Working late, taking off work tomorrow to spend all day working on the bike. I have the main subframe put together and will take the bike in the trailer up to the TIG welders shop so that he can weld some of the subframe that I have held together with bolts (temporarily) and to fabricate the SS exhaust tubing to the new Micron Shorty 240 mm can which will go up under the tail.

This is a shot of the initial mockup of the subframe

P1010543.jpg

P1010542.jpg

OK.....1:00 am time to call it a night. gotta have the gas tank at the auto place where the dent repair guy comes in on fridays there at 7:30 am

Hobie1dog :thumbsup:

On forks, RC51 stuff has gone through the roof since I did my VTEC. I wanted forks for my 750 & loking at the phantoms write up & doing measurements on how I like bike set up 05 R1 front end will still let me mount clipons above top triple clamp & bonus radial brakes.

The late model R1 stuff is also hard to obtain as not many sets come up on Ebay, but GSXR750 forks seem to be cheaper & lots more than everything else so if using low mount clipons then they might be a good option for $$.

If possible when you get time, could you please take pics of your rear subframe with the rear cowl off, and then a pic or two with the rear cowl on. i'm quite curious to see the new subframe. It looks really good so far. Are you going to relocate the R/R from the rear subframe to a different location? It looks like your making some really good progress!!!

6 days left on the project....tomorrow I'm back at the welders so that all the rest of the subframe braces can be put in.

Today he fabbed up a new exhaust piece that goes from the stock exhaust to the undertail exhaust muffler. He cut off the cone on the original muffler and welded it to a SS piece of tubing and then just went from there on up....made it look really easy and didn't take much time either. I'll post some pics up tomorrow of it in place, as he still is going to cut off the muffler exhaust tip flush with the muffler and rotate it 90 degrees so that the muffler will lay on it's side(it's oval shaped) taking up less space under the seat.

Now that Chris posted up about getting his 04-06 Yamaha R1 R/R wired up, I will look for one on Ebay and will want to re-locate it up on the front of the bike more than likely in a path of good air flow. It just doesn't make sense to put it up under a seat.

A quick picture of the subframe.....ended up weighing 2 lbs on the nose.

P1010546.jpg

installed subframe showing the side seat supports and undertail exhaust location.

P1010547.jpg

Front seat bracket to fit the F4i solo seat.

P1010548.jpg

P1010549.jpg

Peeking through the back of the seat to show the rear bolt up for the seat.

P1010551.jpg

Shot from the rear showing the seat bolts

P1010552.jpg

Exhaust muffler location.

P1010553.jpg

Another shot from the underside.

P1010554.jpg

Got the brakes front and rear bled finally( Thanks Sebastian for the tip ) and clutch line too.

Will go back to the fab shop tomorrow and have him weld up the new battery box. Also stop by the bolt place and pick up some proper bolts for a few things.

4 more days till TexasMac. <_< :blink: :o

• Member Contributer
4 more days till TexasMac. <_< :blink: :o

Man, don't rush it just to make the ride. If for nothing else, you need some good shakedown runs to sort everything out. I wouldn't want the maiden voyage to be on a large group ride. Trailer it to show everyone your progress and ride that stinky IL4 instead.

One serious Viffer tourer told me to never do major repairs within a month of leaving. This is really great advice that I didn't heed when I changed out the clutch on my SuperHawk and broke the water pump impeller shaft during reinstallation. Lots of stress and money spent to get parts overnighted to make the group ride plus no good long local test runs to make sure the clutch and waterpump repairs were good.

I know you're in NC so it's not really a trip for you but I mention this for others.

Thanks for the positive comments, it's starting to wear me down big time, but I'm just checking things off of the list one-by-one.

I'm gonna take Sebastians advice and just get the thing running so I will be showing up(if everything else goes ok)at the TexasMac meet in gray primer just like the last photos I submitted.

Sebastian bailed me out as I was getting ready to throw in the towel after fighting bleeding the front brakes for 1 hour with no success. A quick phone call to him and WHALLAH ! success. :thumbsup:

Back to work.

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the positive comments, it's starting to wear me down big time, but I'm just checking things off of the list one-by-one.

I'm gonna take Sebastians advice and just get the thing running so I will be showing up(if everything else goes ok)at the TexasMac meet in gray primer just like the last photos I submitted.

Sebastian bailed me out as I was getting ready to throw in the towel after fighting bleeding the front brakes for 1 hour with no success. A quick phone call to him and WHALLAH ! success. :thumbsup:

Back to work.

Marty:

What are your plans for painting? I couldn't find an upper F4i fairing I liked on ebay, and just decided to go with the new aftermarket one offered by the local shop, which they claim is high quality - I didn't check it out personally, but it has all the mounting brackets, etc, and they say it will fit well. So I'll be riding the primer gray, myself, until I'm able to get it finished. Also, if anybody has a good reference for painting near Cleveland Heights, OH, (or has the experience to do it themselves $$), I'm all ears!

Edited by sesand

Hey, we took a movie of the VFR fired up and it sounds MEAN!! If anyone wants to host it we'll email it to you. Just email me (phdinsubs@yahoo.com) or my dad (martylemons@yahoo.com) and we'll send you the movie!

The Vapor gauge is going to be difficult to say the least. We've got it wired up but haven't gotten the tach to work yet...but we will. Tonight time is running thin. We'll hit it hard tomorow after work.

Upload the movie to photobucket! :thumbsup:

http://photobucket.com/

See if this works.

th_P1010560.jpg

Apologies in advance to BaileyRock as I know he doesn't like loud exhaust, but there is another secondary exhaust in the planning stages that will be located directly behind the Micron shorty which will go into two side-by-side tailpipes/mufflers which my fabricator and I are conjuring up. :P

Sorry to distract you, but I'm curious to know what you'll be using for a taillight? Hmm... the possibilities... :salesman:

Go to this site, it's the one on the bottom 6 inches wide ............. guy said it was very bright for a tail light and superbright for the brake light section.

http://www.braggengineering.com/Products.php

Cool stuff. Is this fun or what? :o

See if this works.

No worky for me, is your account set for public viewing? :joystick:

Account options ---> Album Settings---> (edit my album settings)---> Change Album Settings---> My album is: Public/Private

Here's the direct link for the movie: http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a180/hob...og/P1010560.flv

You'll also need a flv player though to watch it.

well, it's back together...is it finished? NOPE far from it but I will take it to get inspected tomorrow and then hopefully leave for the 4 hour or so drive up to Robbinsville....after sitting on the CBR seat for 15 minutes or so, I am now painfully aware that it leaves alot to be desired. I had planned on replacing the foam on the plastic base before I left, but just didn't have time. So when I get back, I have to paint everything and re-do a seat. And I will be getting back with my fabricator to make a secondary exhaust (dual tips) to help quieten it down just a tad. :unsure:

For anyone thinking about doing this conversion, remember, you are giving up comfort in the riding position overall. I know I can improve on several things such as the seat, the master cylinders are both too da%^&med big...the brake master cylinder I just found is less than half of the stock one and doesn't stick above the bar bolts, the VFR one sticks up 1 full inch above the bolts causing a major interference with the windshield. So I should be able to solve that problem once I get the new one installed...also found a different clutch master cylinder setup as well.

How much have I shaved off in weight? DUNNO YET. When I get back I will total up everything. From the tank back, the new subframe seat and exhaust and solo tail shaved off approximately 30lbs.

Let's go to the Meet. :D

• Member Contributer

I'm making a little progress in my conversion, but waiting on a few more parts that needed to be replaced because of the accident. At least its running now and the front forks are on (thanks Don - I couldn't have done this without your help!). Starting to look more like a bike again. Marty: I want your rear end!! That doesn't sound right, butt you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

IMG_6404.jpg

IMG_6403.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

Edited by sesand

Sesand COOL........lets see pictures of how you mounted your front fairing stay.

Well, we just got back from the meet and boy did the bike ever feel like a completely different m/c ......all I had to do was lean and it just fell over into the corners with little countersteering as ever before.

I will be continuing ahead with the modifications as the CBR stock solo seat. ....SUCKS :beer: <_< sad.gif

P1010586.jpg

That is what I did as soon as I got off the bike from the TexasMac Meet....stripped off the cover and tore off all the foam from the stock seat base. The stock CBR seat pan is raised throughout the middle section and the two outer ridges have very little padding therefore creating two severe pressure points which will rip your #SS apart and make you never ever want to swing a leg over the bike again. So I will most likely just make a new seat base out of flat aluminum so that I can put down a base of dense foam(about 1/2" thick) and then take the Visco Memory Foam and shape it to the style I want. That should lower the seat over an inch itself.......gg2wheel4me got on the bike and said, "This is like a motocross bike" My group ride leader sat on the bike after our first days ride and said, OH GOD, how did you stand to be on this all day?"

This is the battery box fabricated out of aluminum which straddles the top of the box subframe.

P1010556.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'll post pics when its done. Hopefully that will be sometime this week, but I won't be making any promises. At least work keeps me occupied during the day, but when I get home, all I think about is riding. Since I can't afford the $800 to have the local bike shop paint it, and I don't have the space or money to even afford to do it myself (the right way), I'm going to try to spray paint the upper and lowers myself using Duplicolor aerosols. I went to Advance Autoparts and bought some Duplicolor sandable primer, black gloss enamel, and a clear coat along with some other miscellaneous supplies, and spent about $50. I figure I should be able to do a decent job without totally trashing it. I'll be satisfied with "ok" for a couple of years. My sole painting experience was for a subwoofer box I installed in my Firebird, which actually did turn out cool until the scratches began to accumulate from moving it around and pulling stuff in and out of the trunk - so any advice is welcome! If there is anybody close to 44106 who would has some equipment and experience doing this "the right way," and wouldn't mind helping me out, I'm game!

Hobie I haven't responded to this thread but have been checking almost every day for new progress.

This is an awesome build. I love the documentation you have selflessly done for us.

I would love to do something similar with my '97, but I realize I don't have the skills.

Thanks and when things get frustrating, remember you have alot of people out here wishing you the best.

Where does the line form for your first contract build when you finish this one? :D

Thanks for your support. I hate to tell you, but......this project may go on for some time as I am looking into putting GSXR or R1 forks on it this summer as well as different wheels front and back. I will be making upper fairing supports this week as I found out that without them, the wind pushes the upper cowl back so far that the windscreen is flattened back against the clutch and brake master cylinders(at speeds above 85 or so). <_< My new brake master cylinder will take care of a lot of the clearance issues as it is 1/2 the size of the big stock unit, much lower profile(is flush with the top bar mounting bolt. I'll post up pics for comparison when I get it.

Good news is...... when we find a 3rd or 4th Gen bike for Electrodynamic, I will be making multiple brackets necessary for the conversion. It's just as easy to go ahead and make 3 extra brackets while you have all the dimensions fresh and the tools out as well. :thumbsup: So I may be able to offer to the VFRD members a "conversion KIT" one day.

Guest neil in Vic
Thanks for your support. I hate to tell you, but......this project may go on for some time as I am looking into putting GSXR or R1 forks on it this summer as well as different wheels front and back. I will be making upper fairing supports this week as I found out that without them, the wind pushes the upper cowl back so far that the windscreen is flattened back against the clutch and brake master cylinders(at speeds above 85 or so). <_< My new brake master cylinder will take care of a lot of the clearance issues as it is 1/2 the size of the big stock unit, much lower profile(is flush with the top bar mounting bolt. I'll post up pics for comparison when I get it.

Good news is...... when we find a 3rd or 4th Gen bike for Electrodynamic, I will be making multiple brackets necessary for the conversion. It's just as easy to go ahead and make 3 extra brackets while you have all the dimensions fresh and the tools out as well. :thumbsup: So I may be able to offer to the VFRD members a "conversion KIT" one day.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if I've put this reply in the wrong place. It seems there is a huge amount of talent and advice in this forum.

This project is great - I'm very close to buying a '97 VFR750 but am having second thoughts. I've test ridden several bikes and they are miles ahead of my trusty '83VF750F, and I'm addicted to the V4 rumble now. However I'm up and down on the look of the gen 4. The NR750 it was based on is beautiful in the way the Ducati 916 is, but the styling seems to have got quite a bit busier on the way to the production 4th gen.

A lot of waffle, sorry. It seems no one makes a replica NR750 body kit, so my next option is an RC45 kit. I love those twin round headlights! Brings back memories of all of those legendary endurance racers!

Anyway, Airtech make an RC45 kit.

www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/RC451994-96.htm

Does anyone have any experience dealing with them? I will give them a call tomorrow (I'm in Australia) to ask about fitment, windscreens, instruments and so on, but before I mail $700 (in real money) to them I'd be re-assured by experience from a forum member.

Also, in advance, if anyone thinks this is a good/crap idea please let me know - due to the usual $/family constraints it won't happen overnight, especially when the cost of a paint job is thrown in. Plus any advice would be appreciated. And of course if it's be done before please excuse me and provide a link if possible.

Thanks & cheers,

neil in Vic

Australia.