Radar's Sliders - Condensed How To Install

KanadianKen

Well- another set of Radars sliders are going in tonight. Teacherman (Sasha) is coming over shortly - and we're going to install the SLiders from Radar, and a Fender Elim from me.... Hope the beer holds out!!! See if I can take some pics along the way.

:beer:

• Member Contributer
Well- another set of Radars sliders are going in tonight. Teacherman (Sasha) is coming over shortly - and we're going to install the SLiders from Radar, and a Fender Elim from me.... Hope the beer holds out!!! See if I can take some pics along the way.

:idea3:

Sleemans on me Ken next time your hear, thank's for helping him out.

Sasha's bike mods are finished, and he's on his way home. Viffer - I didn't see your post - so you'll have to get in touch with him.

He has an 08 that he bought in the USA and brought over - and its a Silver I hadn't seen before. VERY VERY nice Silver......

Couple obligatory pics, (or Skuuter would get after me!!) :biggrin:

Once again, Radars Sliders are a joy to install and are top notch quality.

DSC05118.jpg

DSC05119.jpg

DSC05121.jpg

DSC05122.jpg

DSC05123.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Does anyone know if these are still produced? If not, does anyone know of any alternatives?

Yes, but I'm so far behind that I'm starting to be able to see my own a$$

Guest 300shooter

Thanks Ken, I'm liking the sliders, I'm really liking your elim as well, now I just need to get my new bike. Food for though, I wonder how difficult it would be to make a template for the fairing hole that you just stuck on the fairing to center the hole in stead of having to get the long bit? Just a thought, similar to what the auto industry does for applying declas etc.

How much are the sliders anyway?

• Member Contributer
Thanks Ken, I'm liking the sliders, I'm really liking your elim as well, now I just need to get my new bike. Food for though, I wonder how difficult it would be to make a template for the fairing hole that you just stuck on the fairing to center the hole in stead of having to get the long bit? Just a thought, similar to what the auto industry does for applying declas etc.

Go to harbor frieght and in the drill section you can find a 3 or 4 piece set of drills 20" long for like $5.95 or so. Worked great for my install.

vince

• Member Contributer
Does anyone know if these are still produced? If not, does anyone know of any alternatives?

Yes, but I'm so far behind that I'm starting to be able to see my own a$$

Nvoges,

Get your name on Radar's waiting list. It's worth the wait! I was one of the lucky ones who waited. These sliders are sweet! Just finished installing mine. Install couldn't be easier. Radar is da man!

Radar had a set with red annodixed posts and I wasn't sure I wanted red posts that might not match the R157 Red but as you can see below, it blends VERY nicely. If I had a choice now I wouldn't want the clear annodized!

Thanks Radar! :biggrin: Now to make sure I never need them!

gallery_9056_4462_348550.jpg

Radar's Sliders Black with Red base Was on the fence about the red base but after I installed these pieces of work that Radar builds I am PSYCHED! How sweet do they look!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest onedowneaster

After reading all the hype.about Radar sliders I would seriously like to be on the list also. Yes I saw the picture of the above slider,but is there a catalogue page

that shows the color options and such? Also what is the approximate cost for a set of them? thanks eddie

• 1 month later...
Guest WilliamM

Go to harbor frieght and in the drill section you can find a 3 or 4 piece set of drills 20" long for like $5.95 or so. Worked great for my install.

vince

I paid about $20 for the tools needed from Lowes. The directions are straight forward. I did find that my hole was a little off when I went to mount the plastics so I used a Dremel with a grinding bit and shaved the hole little by little till it was perfect. All my plastics are off for a new paint job as soon as I get them back I will take lots of pics with the sliders attached.

Radar, thank you very much. I love how they look. I was pretty worried about cutting my plastics but it went really smooth. You have made a great product!

• Member Contributer
Is there a 5th gen how-to?

Procedure is the exact same for both 5th gen and 6th gen and I supply a new bolt ready to go:fing02:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Maybe a dumb question but has anybody painted their sliders for a better blend in?

Not that I am aware of.

Hey, just a question.

Has anyone crash tested these sliders on a 5th gen yet??

That has been what has been stopping me from getting sliders for my 01.

Most of the ones that I saw before, caused more damaged to the bike than just rashing the plastics.

Sorry, I'd just like to see some post crash pictures before I'd buy these.

• Member Contributer

No pics, but the weak link in them is the 5/16 bolt that holds the arbor to the engine bolt, It will stay intact at a slow crash or fall over in the driveway, but I believe they would snap right off in a crash at speed when everything is gonna be broke anyway.

Guest motorhead1977
Hey, just a question.

Has anyone crash tested these sliders on a 5th gen yet??

That has been what has been stopping me from getting sliders for my 01.

Most of the ones that I saw before, caused more damaged to the bike than just rashing the plastics.

Sorry, I'd just like to see some post crash pictures before I'd buy these.

I have yet to see any manufacturer of sliders show pics of "before/after" crash as an indication of the efficacy of the use of their slider. I suppose that in part is because then everyone would expect exactly the same result and if not... :beer: "pay me it failed syndrome" will occur even though no two crashes are ever exactly alike. If my bike goes down at speed it is gonna be toast anyway, since the rads are right out there to meet the pavement slider or not. In that event I have collision insurance coverage. I am more concerned about a slow/stopped drop. After all, as much as I really like my VFR it is a heavy M@#$%^F*&^%# with a seemingly top heavy design, specially with a full load of fuel. I hope the sliders would save me having to make a stopped/slow drop claim that would most likely be under the deductible anyway.

• Member Contributer

I found a secondary benefit to Radar's sliders. I just returned from a 14-day 5,009 mile trip, with lots of long, long days in the saddle. I would prop my leg, or both legs, up on the sliders for a few minutes periodically to stretch the leg muscles and get some relief.

I'm thinking about fabricating some brackets for highway pegs that attach to the inside of the slider mount, but extend further forward and a bit lower. Has anyone done this yet?

• Member Contributer

So far there have been several crashes of bikes with the sliders installed; from slow to very hard lay down, my own bike included.

But like the majority of those that lay their bike down, they really don't want to take and post pics. I will tell you this though, nobody that has laid their bike down with the sliders installed have complained about having them on. I have had nothing but positive responses, but you also have to keep in mind that they are not designed as fairing protectors, they're frame protectors, and a darn good foot rest.