Radar's Sliders - Condensed How To Install

KanadianKen

gallery_491_221_78554.jpeg

Drilling for Sliders

I talked with RADAR tonight, and he asked me if I would mind condensing, and making the "how to install his sliders thread" a little more fluid and updated. The other thread I started is a great mix of what I did, and has a lot of good feedback from many folks here which is much appreciated!!! However, it is 4 pages long, and not as easy of a read as would be appreciated by many.

So, the majority of what is in this thread, is from the original, but with all the updated information. Hope its helpful to those of you that have ordered a set. :thumbsup:

Radars Sliders and Installation

And how to drill your fairings without having a nervous breakdown.

For product availability EMAIL RADAR AT : radar88ster AT gmail.com

I was the test for Radars awesome sliders, and finally I got fed up with the cold and snow, and went into the garage for about an hour today. The results below are very good, and I think Radar (Darren) has hit a home run with the products he makes. Read on.. Its long and photo heavy - but I hope it explains how this was done, and the simple tools that were needed.

1) You will need to acquire the Basic goods from Radar (Darren in Saskatoon, Sk., Canada). Get yourself the slider mounts, the bolts, and the sliders themselves.

IMG_3924.jpg

The trick to this installation is based on two very simple yet custom turned centering plugs. These plugs fit snugly into the holes where the front engine bolt goes through. Darren turned these, and sends them with an o-ring installed to snug up the fit.

IMG_3940.jpg

2) From your local hardware store, you need to pick up a few things. You will need an 18" long ¼"inch drill bit, a 1 1/8" hole saw, an arbor to hold the hole saw, as well as a length of ¼" drill rod.

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

3) Ok first things first. This would be a very easy install with an extra set of hands and eyes helping out, I flew solo on this cold winter day but it all worked out perfectly. Strip off the side fairings, and remove the coolant bottle. On the bottom of the coolant bottle is the spout that the hose attaches to cap that with a rubber cap so it doesn't leak out all over the floor. Put the coolant bottle out of the way for now. Back to this later.

4) Next remove the front engine bolt. This bolt passes from the left side of the frame, through a floating spacer/big ass washer, through the engine, and exits through the frame on the right side. You will need to take this bolt (which on 6th Gens is hollow) and get the inside tapped on both ends about an inch deep to fit the bolts that Darren sends. (I'll edit this after I get the exact specs back from Darren). This is ultimately where the Slider bases mount to the bike by far the strongest location on the bike. Heres the bolt after it is tapped.

IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

5) Insert the Centering plugs into the holes from the engine bolt. The following picture has the drill bit going through the centering plug, but you get the idea. Spray some aerosol lubricant into the center of the centering plug it'll make the drilling go easier.

IMG_3904.jpg

6) Now reinstall the right side fairing, and put the Honda securing bolts back in and tighten them up. You need the right side fairing to be held securely, as the first hole that is drilled, originates from the left side, and uses the 18" long ¼" drill bit. The drill bit is slid in through the centering plug on the left side, through the floating spacer/big ass washer – and then carefully through the right side centering plug. Hook up the bit to the drill, and take a deep breath. Get the drill going about half speed, and gently start to push it into the fairing. You may feel the drill skip depending on where its touching the inside of the fairing. Have your helper gently press against the fairing in the direction of the drill bit. The drill will pop through, and you should have a clean ¼" hole like this.

IMG_3906.jpg

7) Now retract the 18" long drill bit, and get the 1 1/8" hole saw, and the length of drill rod. I had to buy 36 inches of drill rod so I left it that length. You could cut it down to 18" and be just fine. Install the drill rod onto the arbor for the hole saw. The arbor I used already had a ¼" centre drill bit in it, so I removed the drill bit and installed the drill rod. It is simply used to keep the hole saw cutting in a perfect circle as it is guided by the centering plugs on both ends.

8) From the RIGHT side of the bike, insert the drill rod through the already drilled ¼" hole, and get it through the engine, and out to the other side of the other centering plug.

IMG_3908.jpg

Heres what it looks like on the other side with the drill rod slipped through.

IMG_3896.jpg

Again get the drill spinning about half speed and with easy pressure cut the hole in the side of the fairing. The centering plugs will keep the hole saw from skipping or jumping. It only takes a few seconds, and you're through. One down, one to go!!

IMG_3898.jpg

9) Now take off the right side fairing. You can take some fine sandpaper to the hole on the right fairing and gently clean up any plastic strings that didn't come off clean. (Leave it off for now as the engine bolt has to be re-installed.)

10) Before you re-install the left side fairing, prop something under the spacer (I used a pair of pliers).

IMG_3899.jpg

11) From the RIGHT side of the bike, you slip the 18" long ¼" drill bit through the centering plug, through the engine and out through the left centering plug on the left side of the bike. Once the drill bit is just through the left side centering plug, re-install the left side fairing. This just makes it easier to guide the drill bit through all the holes, before it gets down to business.

From here you are going to repeat the same steps as you took to do the right side drilling. Create the pilot ¼" hole on the left side, then using that pilot hole use the drill rod installed on the hole saw arbor, and make the second 1 1/8" hole. At the end of the drilling you will have two holes in the perfect locations for the sliders to be installed.

After the left side holes are made, take off the left side fairing. I'll skip ahead and show you the steps to install the slider bases, and the sliders themselves.

Using the magic of time lapse you have by now had your engine bolt tapped on both ends to accept the thread size of the bolts that come with Darrens kit. (Again I will edit this after I confirm with Darren what the exact thread size is I believe the finished kits have 5/16" Coarse thread bolts.) The machine shop that did the tapping for you, will also have to turn down the shoulder on one end of the engine bolt mounting nuts. I apologize I will have to edit this also after I get the correct size from Darren. This allows the slider base to slip over the tightened engine bolt without clearance issues.

12) Re-install the engine bolt.

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

13) Reinstall both left and right side fairings.

14) The threaded end of the slider base stays on the outside of the bike.

IMG_3924.jpg

Slip the bolt into the slider mounting base from the threaded end and it screws into the newly tapped and reinstalled engine bolt with a light amount of blue loctite. I'm unsure as to the torque value to apply I will edit with correct values.

IMG_3925.jpg

Then apply some blue loctite to the slider mounting base threads, and screw on the slider itself.

Due to slight variations in bikes, you may need to install one or two washers on the inside of the plastic slider - before you screw it onto the base, to adjust the distance that the plastic slider is away from the fairing. I have two small washers installed in the right side plastic to make the slider come off the right side plastic the same amount as the left side plastic. Radar is including the washers to use, in each kit.

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

Do the same on both sides, and enjoy your finished project!!!

IMG_3933.jpg

RADAR will be providing details of his kit, and it fits both 5th and 6th Gen VFRs.

The coolant bottle needs to be cut and resealed - it needs to end up looking something like this:

img99_3.jpg

• Member Contributer

Cool, thanks Ken, that should make it easier for all the people that had sliders shipped out today

Thanks, Ken for that nice tidy-up. I'll be installing a set on a pal's silver bike very soon.

Oh, and a word of advice: Don't EVEN bother to try and answer the 100 posts asking about the coolant bottle. I'll do it for you here--

"Hey folks, the bottle is not mission critical. It's not under pressure and the water level is well away from the area you have to cut away (butcher :o ). So get creative, get a plastic milk jug or some tupperware or something from the hardware store that's about the right shape to close your cut (and after all, it's YOUR cut, so just consider what you'll be using to close the cut before you make the cut!) and goop it together with some clear silicone gasket goop. OR....use two flat pieces of plastic that you goop into place, and goop the joint where they meet. No matter how bad of an ugly hack job you do, it will probably be fine. If you really botch it up, add a piece of hose to the existing overflow line and run it out the back of the bike somewhere while you're waiting on a new one to come in from Service Honda/Ayers/etc. :lol: "

THanks Trace.

THe bottle isn't as tough to fix up as it appears at first. After cutting said notch in the bottle, I used a piece of scrap Polyethylene, and some Crazy Glue from Loctite designed for polyethylene - and it worked great.

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Helped Banshee install Radars Sliders on the 99 Yellow beauty today. Things went really well. Radars product is amazing... Super easy to do on a 5th gen.

Banshee will post up photos of the results.....

Good stuff Darren! :thumbsup:

Guest Banshee

First of all I would like to THANK KEN (top-notch guy) for his assistance in installing the sliders.

Ken, my apologies for shredding your custom made drill bit. :wub:

Now onto the sliders.

Delivery - fast and efficient.

Quality - Radar the Sliders are Outstanding, I was very impressed. The sliders are better than anything I have looked at to date.

Install - actually fairly simple, cutting the fairing is a little uneasy but went very well. Only pain was a floating washer type thing.

Pictures:

Bike Pic (includes my Sargent seat that was purchased in the group buy, thanks again to those who put in the effort)

CIMG0226-1.jpg

CIMG0227.jpg

Close shot

CIMG0222.jpg

I highly recommend these Sliders. :thumbsup:

Again, thanks to Ken and Radar way to go!

Banshee.

Edited by Banshee

• Member Contributer

I really want to see this thread but it is hacked apart? I see alot of this – and this R’s and this I’. am i seeing things?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO
I really want to see this thread but it is hacked apart? I see alot of this – and this R’s and this I’. am i seeing things?

I had to convert the database from mysql5 to mysql4 when we moved to the server, it left some strange reminants. Say in the future take it easy on the quotes, there is no need to quote an entire writeup along all the pictures, edit it out for the relevant info then press send the reply. Please - it cuts down on the scrolling and such nonsense.

I really dont know what the odd symbols are nor do I have the time to fix them as its not my work maybe KKen will get to it when he has a chance to rewrite the error text.

Guest kiske13

vfrslider.jpg

After I had seen your photos, I asked myself if my sliders had been mounted in the right place.

Edited by kiske13

• Member Contributer
vfrslider.jpg

After I had seen your photos, I asked myself if my sliders had been mounted in the right place.

Those aren't sliders. There bobbins. Don't drop the bike.

I have corrected the weird symbols that appeared in the how to thread.

Thanks Slammer for re-posting this in the featured area. I know Radar has several sets of Sliders left. ANyone in Ontario that wants to do this addition and wants some help - let me know. My flashlight is recharging right now......... smile.gif

Guest Go4ord

Thanks Ken for the fixup.....

My order is in, now I just have to wait ... and wait.. and wait... til the boat arrives down here in Aust.. Now if only I wasn't such a tight arse, I would have them a lot sooner.... :warranty:

• Member Contributer

Seeing that big drill poised over your VFR, doesn't that pucker you up a bit?? Kind of like that proctologist saying to you, " this may hurt just a little....." :o :o :o

• Member Contributer

Just wanted to let people know that I am sold out of slider kits . My short riding season is about to start and I told myself that riding was going to be a priority this year, so it's going to be a few months before kits will be availible again, I will be making more.

Cheers

Darren :wacko:

• Member Contributer
Just wanted to let people know that I am sold out of slider kits . My short riding season is about to start and I told myself that riding was going to be a priority this year, so it's going to be a few months before kits will be availible again, I will be making more.

Cheers

Darren :beer:

Sure glad I got mine before you sold out and retired (temporarily) from making them. I finally had some time tonight to install them on my '98 VFR. With the quality of the product and the excellent instructions, the installation was a piece of cake. They look great! Thanks Darren, and Ken too!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Just wanted to let people know that I am sold out of slider kits . My short riding season is about to start and I told myself that riding was going to be a priority this year, so it's going to be a few months before kits will be available again, I will be making more.

Cheers

Darren :beer:

Wheeewwww.. I got mine just in time too. I am glad I did not procrastinate any longer. They are on my list of mods, but I have not done it yet.

Thanks Radar for the awesome product.

Truth is - Darren (RADAR) is now racing in Superbike, hoping for a ride in Moto GP and he is more interested in chasing umbrellas girls than helping us protect our VFR's.

Bastage. Hey - make us some more sliders!!!

Oh yeah - Freddie called me - and said he had some words to describe your riding skills at his school - but he couldn't finish his sentence - he was giggling like a little school girl..............

:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Guest Go4ord

:fing02: :beer:

woohoo... Radar's sliders have finally arrived in the mail.. only 11 weeks after he sent them.. I wonder if the boat got lost on its way down under ?? ;-)

now, lucky for me we have a 3 day long weekend this weekend, and its raining for most of it.., and its double demerit points time :-( ... perfect time to strip the beast and do some mods....

Thanks heaps Darren (Radar.....) now, if only Ken's Fender Eliminator would also arrive... EDIT.. (ask and ye shall receive.. next morning..... got the Elim as well.. !!)

so now i just have to install 1) Radar's Sliders, 2) Ken's Elim, 3) red headlight protectors, 4) Gear display thingy, and Then I can wash & polish da beast, all ready to actually ride the damn thing !! ;-)

cheers

Matt

Edited by Go4ord

Guest Go4ord

Well, got some of the mods done. the most important ones anyway.. Radars sliders and Kens Eliminator...

Darren, Your sliders are truely works of art. no if's or but's about it.. just pure genius...

see pics for the Red post black slider combo... very nice indeed.

also, I tried a different way for the water bottle... hole saw cut, then use a piece of plumbing pipe that fits, then seal/glue with some silicon.... lesson learnt. Use the same technique as the way you cut the Fairings.. first drill through from the other side of the bike while the bottle is installed. then remove the bottle and hole saw.

Radar's Posts - 28mm diameter

Bottle Hole - 36mm diam

Plastic Pipe - 35mm outer diam, 33mm inner diam

Pipe length - 32-33mm (approx 1 5/16th)

Sealant - Bostik all purpose Silicone, translucent. ie any clear, outdoor Silicone sealant should do..

cheers

Matt

gallery_13172_3724_227005.jpg

Radars slider_480.JPG

gallery_13172_3724_176327.jpg

radars sliders water bottle mod_499.JPG

gallery_13172_3724_171630.jpg

radars sliders water bottle mod_501.JPG

Edited by Go4ord

Well, got some of the mods done. the most important ones anyway.. Radars sliders and Kens Eliminator...

Darren, Your sliders are truely works of art. no if's or but's about it.. just pure genius...

see pics for the Red post black slider combo... very nice indeed.

also, I tried a different way for the water bottle... hole saw cut, then use a piece of plumbing pipe that fits, then seal/glue with some silicon.... lesson learnt. Use the same technique as the way you cut the Fairings.. first drill through from the other side of the bike while the bottle is installed. then remove the bottle and hole saw.

cheers

Matt

gallery_13172_3724_227005.jpg

Radars slider_480.JPG

gallery_13172_3724_176327.jpg

radars sliders water bottle mod_499.JPG

gallery_13172_3724_171630.jpg

radars sliders water bottle mod_501.JPG

If that seal job holds up on the rad bottle, you are a friggin' genius, Mate!! :unsure:

What type and size of plastic did you use and any special kind of silicon?

Maybe this might warrant being added to the "How to" part of the instructions!

MASSIVE!!!!! :pissed: +1.gif :ohmy: :cool:

Guest Go4ord

Sorry all, more info below,

SHORT answers...

Radar's Posts - 28mm diameter

Bottle Hole - 36mm diam

Plastic Pipe - 35mm outer diam, 33mm inner diam

Pipe length - 32-33mm (approx 1 5/16th)

Sealant - Bostik all purpose Silicone, translucent. ie any clear, outdoor Silicone sealant should do..

LONG answers...

Radar's posts are 28mm wide ( the bit that goes through the bottle anyway..)

The pipe I used was some sort of white plastic plumbers pipe . 35mm outside diam, 33mm inside diam. Inner Diam just needs to be at least 30mm to allow the Post to fit through and have some clearance for vibration/movement of the post and/or the hole not being cut perfectly square on etc. Only need 32-33mm in length (was $11 for the 1.5m length at the local hardware store, I got it for 50 cents as it was old damaged stock... and only needed about 2 inches to play with)

My first version was too long, about 40-45mm in total, and this then hit the bikes frame, which cracked the sealant. Fixed by using my Dremel to shorten it and then just added more sealant..

as I did it the hard way ( hence my lesson learnt info..) I started with a rough guess pilot hole, then 29mm holesaw, then used a curved file to enlarge the hole to fit the pipe. The better way would be to drill a pilot hole through from the other side of the bike and use a 33mm (1 5/16th) ish holesaw. Then get a 31-35mm (outer diam) pipe to fit. Just as long as the inner diam is at least 30mm.

The Sealant was just what I had lying around, only about $4-$5 exterior Silicone sealant from the local hardware joint. I just squeezed some on my finger and ran it around the pipe/bottle joins.I used clear, but I guess its upto you... you have to look at it.

The bottle is now air tight and holds some pressure when I blew through the overflow pipe. I will retest & update this after a few rides, but it is not a critical issue. it just has to keep dust and dirt out of the bottle etc...

hope this helps some more, and once again

ALL HAIL DARREN !!!!

and his

RADAR"S SLIDERS.....

Bloody awesome mate..