Help! With Heated Grips

Guest Hosebag

Guest Hosebag

I need some help- :squid:

I have an '06 and have installed an aftermarket heated grip setup. On previous bikes (954's and earlier VFR's) I simply wired into the turn signal (running light) as a power source and all was good.

On the '06, the wiring to the turn signals is different and won't support being tapped into.

Questions-

-Where do the 'genuine Honda' accessory grips plug into the wiring harness? I can't find anything identified in the shop manual wiring diagram.

-Where have you guys tapped into the wiring so that the grips have a power source which is governed by the ignition?

I'm not interested in adding a terminal block or relay at this point, just tapping into a power source.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I have an '06 and have installed an aftermarket heated grip setup. On previous bikes (954's and earlier VFR's) I simply wired into the turn signal (running light) as a power source and all was good.

On the '06, the wiring to the turn signals is different and won't support being tapped into.

Questions-

-Where do the 'genuine Honda' accessory grips plug into the wiring harness? I can't find anything identified in the shop manual wiring diagram.

-Where have you guys tapped into the wiring so that the grips have a power source which is governed by the ignition?

I'm not interested in adding a terminal block or relay at this point, just tapping into a power source.

Thanks

If you won't install a relay and fuse block, I would just tap the headlights.

Thanks, I'll consider that option.

Questions-

Thanks

:squid:

I think using a relay and hooking straight to the battery will provide better, more and quicker Heat then tapping any other source!

:thumbsup:

I think it would be best if you could isolate the existing wiring harness from any additional loads. As it is, we now all know how Honda had been cutting corners on the VFR electrical system specially when it comes it grounds and connectors.

Just invest some time to install a fused feed from the battery controlled by a relay to protect the grip switches from having it's contacts burn out over time.

It will also protect the rest of your bike's electrical systems if the aftermarket grips decide to fritz out on you, specially if you have a newer bike that still has Honda Warranty. Honda will most likely refuse any repairs that they can blame on an non-Honda OEM gadget added on to their harnesses.

JMO, JM2Cs

Beck

95 VFR

I used a relay and connected it to the running light in the tail. I was going to tap into the headlight but a relay costs $4 and it would have taken a couple of hours to remove the fairing enough to solder wires, the relay took 2 minutes and is invisible under the seat.

I just tapped into my running light wire as it exited the bottom of the fuse box inside the right fairing panel; 20K miles, no problems.

I found that my heaters got much Hotter, much quicker running a relay straight to the battery than the ever would get tapping into any other circuit on the bike.

Also as mentioned or bikes have enough elec. issues to add any load to an existing circuit IMO.

• Member Contributer
I found that my heaters got much Hotter, much quicker running a relay straight to the battery than the ever would get tapping into any other circuit on the bike.

Also as mentioned or bikes have enough elec. issues to add any load to an existing circuit IMO.

+1 Installed the relay switch and wired direct to the battery with an addiitional in-line fuse. I also added a variable valve controller so they can go from warm to toasty to hot.

All the wires are neatly tucked under the seat.

+1 Installed the relay switch and wired direct to the battery with an addiitional in-line fuse. I also added a variable valve controller so they can go from warm to toasty to hot.

All the wires are neatly tucked under the seat.

VTEC controlled heated handgrips!!?? :blink:

Holy Canoli!

I think you mean one of those "heatrollers". :blink:

Beck

95 VFR

Archived