Stock Amber Turn Signal Swapped For Clear

VFRiderGal

• Member Contributer

Hi All!

I've got an '05 and I just swapped the amber turn signals for the clear that was offered in '06 & '07.

It was relatively easy, but I thought that someone might find this useful.

The first step is to remove the fairings.

Here's a pic of the left signal from inside the cowl (sorry for a crappy pic!):

DSCF0699.jpg

After you remove the two screws holding the signal in place, you can easily pull the entire assembly out:

DSCF0710.jpg

From there, twist and remove the bulb socket.

Unfortunately, Honda changed the bulb sockets from the '05 to the '06 & '07.

The stock '05 socket looks like this:

DSCF0715.jpg

The new socket looks like this:

DSCF0716.jpg

The "correct" this problem, all you have to do is separate the socket housing from the amber/clear lens by releasing the tabs. From there, swap the amber and clear cover from the "old" to the "new" housing. This will allow you to utilize your existing bulb sockets and not mess with wiring.

Here's a side view of one of the tabs on each lens:

DSCF0717.jpg

The only difficulty that I had was removing the right lens:

DSCF0720.jpg

As you can see, it's a tight fit. However, I was able to remove it without tearing the bike apart any further or causing any damage to the signal. First, I reached in and removed the bulb socket from the assembly. Then, I removed the screws securing the lens to the bike. From here... well, it was kind of tricky. I managed to twist the signal assembly out by pulling the cowl out from the bottom.

All you need to do is swap your clear bulbs for amber bulbs and then put the everything back together. :thumbsup: Then... sit back, admire your work, and drink a cold one! :squid:

Here are my before and after pics:

DSCF0703.jpg

DSCF0725.jpg

Replacement Left Signal part info:

DSCF0708.jpg

Replacement Right Signal part info:

DSCF0722.jpg

• Member Contributer
Did you do the rear or just the fronts?

I did both the front and rear...

I'm not done with the rear, as I'm needing some electrical connector assistance. The housing is installed, but the bike isn't all put back together. I'm going to start working on gutting my exhaust in the next coming week, so there's no sense in putting is all back together. (Especially since the forecast is pretty gloomy.)

Here's a preview of the back cowl and tail light resting in place:

DSCF0727.jpg

Here's the "before" pic:

DSCF0680.jpg

I'll do a write up on the tail light assembly when I'm complete. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I picked up the combo unit used (in new condition) from a VFRD member. Can't recall what I paid.

I found the unit new from Service Honda for about $170 plus S/H. You'll need the new turn signal sockets, they run about $7 each from Service Honda. (Your brake light sockets will remain the same.)

Hope this helped!

Thanks again for all the great complements! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Ohh the memories of my silver 05...

I did the exact same thing to it.. I just left the stock clear bulbs in there...

Please dont buy a rivcyko CF bug buster, or youll make me cry for my VFR again! +1.gif

The clear lenses really change the front of the bike dont they?? I loved mine!

-Dustin

Hey! LOL.

Great wright-up, Jodie! Now for the hijacking. MMMuuuuhahahahahah!

Here you go, Jason,...

100_3778.jpg

100_3779.jpg

100_3782.jpg

Jodie's wright-up works best. B.R.'s would work well, (Adding a notch to the backing, to accept the orig. bulb socket). The difference is,...

100_3775.jpg

The pre '06, have painted reflectors. (Silver). '06-'07, have magnesium coating, (Plastic chrome), on the inside. Ron and I did it the way Jodie did.

------THING TO CONSIDER-----Using the origional backings, inside sprayed with spray adhesive, and lining with mylar ® silver or yellow. Can be purchased at most any gift wrapping store. AND cover the entirety, of the inside, not just the very back.--------

To add to the wright-up.

On the right side, it is much easier to access the top screw of the signal housing, if you remove the retaining bolt, then pull the tabs out of the bracket, that holds the cover of the ECU. This way, you can move it.

100_3777.jpg

Same thing, on the left side.

100_3774.jpg

-------ANOTHER THING TO CONSIDER-------- Why buy the whole assembly? If Stanley will sell, just the lense covers, in perhaps a group buy, there is the possability of saving boko bucks..

And of course it was warmer, in the house, than the garage, Soooooooo,.............

100_3773.jpg

• Member Contributer
Hey, nice idea, but why don't you go all the way and do something about those amber side reflectors on your front forks, otherwise they kind of defeat the purpose ¿don't you think?
US D.O.T. regs require amber side reflectors up front, red reflectors at back. You'll see especially poor implementation of this on some European cars that are exported to the US...on some older cars like VWs, etc. they are just screwed on the body/bumpre.

Newer cars hide these reflectors in the "pulled back" headlight shrouds, as well as taillights housings that wrap around the sides.

But, apart from the D.O.T. there's nothing stopping one from simply unscrewing the little L-tabs that mount those reflectors on the N.A. models smile.gif

And the N.A. OEM bags look crummy with the mounted reflectors, too sad.gif

Clear and silver look great together :thumbsup: nice job.

• Member Contributer

Think you may be miss'n it, Ken. You're not gonna get it from Honda. The bulbs that go with the clear lenses, are single filiment. You need a 7443, in yellow, amber, or orange. Try autozone.

• Member Contributer

Ken...I had already planned to stop by Autozone after work today...there's also an Advance Auto Parts near me too...I'll see what they both have. Ron

Ken...I had already planned to stop by Autozone after work today...there's also an Advance Auto Parts near me too...I'll see what they both have. Ron

THanks Ron!

I called a couple more big name auto parts stores - NAPA for example. THey do not have a part listed for the 7443 in amber. I called a HOnda Bike dealer and they have them in stock for $5.00 a piece. Guess I 'll have to go to a dealer to get them, as they don't seem to have hit the aftermarket here yet.

• Member Contributer

Ken...since you have a pre-06 bike like mine, just make sure they are dual filament bulbs so you'll keep your running lights when you do this mod. The 7443 ambers I've seen have single filament. For the record, Travis and I installed Automlumination amber LEDs on the front and rear turn signals.

THanks Ron!

I called a couple more big name auto parts stores - NAPA for example. THey do not have a part listed for the 7443 in amber. I called a HOnda Bike dealer and they have them in stock for $5.00 a piece. Guess I 'll have to go to a dealer to get them, as they don't seem to have hit the aftermarket here yet.

Guest gadgetjunky

Yep, 7443 is the dual filament and the 7440 is a single and won't fit. I found some 7440 amber last night and was going to use them without running lights until by online order got here. Does anyone know if you are required to have the running lights, I read the part about the reflectors and well, my VFR was used and the previous owner was a cop and removed them, hmmm.

I got my clear lenses because I have a sliver and saw how cool it looked on this thread, but I couldn't find the amber 7443 bulbs anywhere in town. I've ordered them online, but have to wait now, grrrrr.

They look killer, but as soon as you start the bike the amber lights come on, but it still looks a bit cooler than the amber lenses, but it's still amber, so.....

• Member Contributer

Hey all.....

No sweat on the hi-jack there Trav... :D I'm not a selfish post-whore and am always willing to share. +1.gif I wish I had thought of the silver mylar BEFORE putting everything back together. :beer: (I think I'll end up leaving my signals as is.... for the time being.) Lovin' the clear on the matte black, ViperRon!

FYI - I did remove the little amber reflectors... I know, I'm naughty. (((( giggle ))) It looks SOOOO silver sweet now!

As for the bulbs, I chose to not alter the housing. The diameter of the bulb sockets are different, and I didn't want to start butchering the plastics. (Here's what I mean about the socket diameter: DSCF0730.jpg

Anywho, I searched hi and lo around here for the dual filament amber bulb. Couldn't find it at all - NAPA, AutoZone, WalMart, CarQuest, Advance Auto, and various other locals. I ended up ordering the bulbs online from a company in Florida. I'm near Chicago and had them the next day - priority mail. (Their order page isn't secure, just give them payment info over the phone.) The bulbs are awesome ... they are silver and illuminate amber.

Here's a link of the bulbs I found - scroll about halfway down until you see the SILVER SERIES - I ordered the Silver Bright Amber bulbs in single and dual filament bulbs. One pair was for the clear signals on the front and the other pair for the clear signals on the rear. (The front retained stock sockets and the rear changed to the '06+ version.) If you are interested in exact bulb numbers just PM me. I'll look it up when I get home tonight.

Another option, guys, is something called a gel cap. I saw it in an auto parts store. It's a piece of plastic that you slide over the bulb that changes the color of it. They didn't have the amber in stock, but it might be something to look into.

I'm lovin' the clear look guys!

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

if you want ,my solution to the tail section housing is to swap lenses the clear for the stock they are the same size ,to remove you will need a whole lot of patience and a very steady hand ,the two pieces are held together by a glue that is semi soft you can pry it aloose but slowly with a heat gun and a dull butter knife (no serrated edges) slowly work around the seal to soften it up and use the knike to move the glue aside ,i,m telling you to do this right you have to be carefull as not to melt anything you only need to soften the glue not remove it and after you seperate the two the clear lense will fit right on and you wont have to bother with wiring issues, hope this helps if i can do it anyone can,

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I originally purchased the 7443 "silvers" online that were supposed to light up as amber. They did, but the light output was so dim most likely from their "coating" on the bulb, that I went searching elsewhere. That and they had their own style of plastic end on it at the base by the connection prongs, and this design didnt let the bulb snap securely in place. I had visions of the bulb vibrating out inside the lense assembly. So, i did just order some true 7443A's off of some place on Amazon; 10pack for $12, and they look to be the real deal. I checked all the parts stores, honda dealers, and no one seems to have a listing for a 7443 in an amber. hopefully the bulb will be used more widely over the next couple years, making it easier to get.

• Member Contributer

This is great, I am not much into bling but after seeing an 08 at my dealer I can say the clear looks way better than amber. I want to buy these and do but lets use the power of volume buying and set up a group buy on this, I AM IN, thanks Doug :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

That's a good idea...now that i already bought mine, lol.

But even if a group buy doesnt happen, remember that they're only about $23 a piece from a place like Service Honda. And then a few bucks for bulbs....if you can find them. I just ordered mine online from Bike Bandit, for about $29 a piece. And yes, i like how they look, especially now that ive got the right bulbs in.

• Member Contributer

VFR1.jpg

As far as getting rid of the ugly round bicycle-like front reflectors amber, I just used some 3m scotchbrite tape, see it in white with my camera flash, it really works well as a reflector but is black/grey when in daylight, I also have a kit ($17 on Ebay) that is a set of big decals on the back of my hardbags for safety, highly recommend, invisible by day, super bright for cagers to see at night.