4 Ignition Coils Instead Of 2 On Vfr's?

Hobie1dog

I noticed that there are 4 ignition coils on my 97. My son's CBR has ingition coils that have 2 spark plug wires out of them. Why couldn't they have made the VFR's with only 2 coils?

I noticed that there are 4 ignition coils on my 97. My son's CBR has ingition coils that have 2 spark plug wires out of them. Why couldn't they have made the VFR's with only 2 coils?

are educated guesses allowed?

1. they could have, but for greater flexibility of timing when each cylinder fired, they used independant coils like the use on motogp bikes.

2. the crank shaft is made such that the cyclinders are never 180 degrees out of phase, thus you can't fire 2 plugs simultaneously in the 'wasted spark' config.

3. i have no earthly idea.

while 3 is true, 1 or 2 might be also.... wink.gif

• Member Contributer

The CBR fires every 180˚, so one coil fires into 2 cylinders at the same time: one in compression and one in exhaust (called wasted spark).

The VFR has a very different pattern: see the post in 6th gen - Big (enough) Bang - for more details

The CBR fires every 180˚, so one coil fires into 2 cylinders at the same time: one in compression and one in exhaust (called wasted spark).

The VFR has a very different pattern: see the post in 6th gen - Big (enough) Bang - for more details

That's what I figured. Thanks

• Member Contributer

are educated guesses allowed?

1. they could have, but for greater flexibility of timing when each cylinder fired, they used independant coils like the use on motogp bikes.

2. the crank shaft is made such that the cyclinders are never 180 degrees out of phase, thus you can't fire 2 plugs simultaneously in the 'wasted spark' config.

3. i have no earthly idea.

while 3 is true, 1 or 2 might be also.... wink.gif

Actually, I think a variation on 2 is true. The VFR uses a 180 degree crank. This combined with the "V" configuration prevents the use of dual lead coils and their attendant waste spark at the top of the exhaust stroke that is common practice on inlines. Meaning??? You need 4 coils and a way to trigger them.

Archived