Alternator Or Rectifier/regulator

Guest Tintagel

Guest Tintagel

So, the ride is actually my boyfriends but as I'm the one with daily computer/internet access... well you get the picture.

The bike is a 94 VFR750 and up until this past weekend it's always run great and not had any problems that he's ever mentioned, but Murphy's Law always seems to step in the the worst times. So as luck would have it she flat out died on him this past weekend, leaving him stranded far from home and in the middle of nowhere (do these things EVER happen close to home or somewhere convenient??).

He's sure it's his alternator and so of course he's got me hunting the net for anything I can find about rebuilding one, but the more I read about the VFR the more I'm starting to think that it's his rectifier/regulator. Of course I don't have all the details as to what exactally happened but I do know that his battery isn't charging and he's currently carrying around a spare.

Here's my question... what kinds of test(s) can he run to determine if it's the alternator or the rec/reg? I'd hate to see him spend the money, time etc trying to rebuild or buying an alternator when from what I've seen replacing the rec/reg would be a less expensive and less headache filled solution.

Keep in mind that I know virtually nothing about motorcycles or electrical systems and will have to relay this information to him... or at least give him a printed out version of this post and any replys I get so please be as detailed as possible with your answers.

Thank you all SO very much in advance!

Tint

Welcome to the forum. The R/R problems are very frequent on VFR's. Once he gets the battery charged back up and the bike going again, he needs to check the voltage at the battery. I'll let others expand on the voltage range.

• Member Contributer

Buy a new battery and a regulator rectifier. It is most likely the R/R, but even if it isn’t, you will probably need one in the future (many riders carry a spare with them under the seat).

This post has a step by step on diagnosing the charging system

Archived