Grip Heaters...battery Drained

vfrbart

I installed grip heaters recently and have them directly to the battery...I have a 30 A. relay to install but am

unsure where to connect it. Can anyone help me out with this? I am sure its simple.

I have my relay switch side hooked tot he taillight wire and I have a buttload of gadgets on top of my heated grips with no problems so far. Positive side of relay direct to battery, and ground to the subframe on the left side under the back side of the tank bolts where the factory grounds at attached.

• Member Contributer
I installed grip heaters recently and have them directly to the battery...I have a 30 A. relay to install but am

unsure where to connect it. Can anyone help me out with this? I am sure its simple.

I talked about installing relay and fuse box in my Tales of Zumo post. With pictures of where I got power etc. Slammer and others have posted on this as well.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29992

The basic wiring instructions came from a website I was referred to. This is the best resource I have found to wire a relay and fuse box so that your accessories are switched. YOu do not have to put in a fuse box if you only want one device on the relay.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

A picture is worth a thousand words particularly mine so here is the critical wiring diagram.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/...agram-final.jpg

I just installed Symtech grip heaters. I have them attached to one of the headlight circuits per the instructions, this is a voltage switched circuit. I think this is important because if you leave the switch on accidentally you will kill your battery. Will your relay help prevent this? The install was simple and wiring short because the headlight was so near the front panel where I would get easy access to the switch mount location.

I just installed Symtech grip heaters. I have them attached to one of the headlight circuits per the instructions, this is a voltage switched circuit. I think this is important because if you leave the switch on accidentally you will kill your battery. Will your relay help prevent this? The install was simple and wiring short because the headlight was so near the front panel where I would get easy access to the switch mount location.

The relay won't prevent battery drain if the ignition switch is on(meaning the headlight is also on)and the heated grip switch is on. The relay prevents the battery from draining if you leave the switch for the heated grips on AND the ignition switch is off.

So, you get off the bike, turn off your ignition switch and forget to turn off the heated grip switch, no problem ! If the ignition switch is off, the voltage going to the headlight goes away, the voltage going to the relay (coil)goes away at the same time(as it comes from the same wire-that's where you spliced into the headlight circuit). When the relay (coil)voltage goes away the relay contact opens so regardless of if the heated grip switch is closed or open power from the relay isnt available to go to the grip heating element. The relay is worth every penny.

• Member Contributer

......................The relay is worth every penny.

Especially as you get older and suffer more from CFS. I hook the relay to the license plate light. :goofy:

Archived