2003 Vfr800: Battery Replacement

Guest woodcycl

Just ordered the YUASA YTZ14S at BikeBandit.com for $71 plus $9 shipping. The YTZ12S lasted a good long time. At least 3 years. Thought I'd try this one since I'm using more acc. power these days.

For a YTZ14s that is an oustanding price(actually too cheap), normally its a Post $100 battery at most online places . They are giving it away, maybe there's a shelf life or something.

I was about to order the YUASA YTZ14S when i came over this test in the German Motorrad magazine:

01/2007

"MOTORRAD NEWS" verdict: 10 out of a possible 10 for the cold start and load test!

Test verdict from "Motorrad News":

"The strengths of the Delo battery are top marks in our test and an acceptable price. But this battery too needs care and attention in the winter, and can react to neglect by refusing to work. It has been awarded our Best Buy recommendation for its great performance."

A total of nine starter batteries that fit in the standard battery compartment of many BMW bikes such as the K 1100 RS or R 1150 GS were tested (including Varta, Yuasa, Odyssey, Exide, AWS).

TEST PROCEDURE: "To make sure that the nine candidates all started in the same condition, we first connected them to an intelligent charger (Saito ProCharger, suitable for gel and acid batteries) for eight hours. The heavy duty units were then left to settle down overnight. The reason for this is that shortly after they have been charged, batteries exhibit what is known as a hybrid voltage. This is significantly higher than the true battery voltage, but means very little, and it must first be allowed to dissipate. After this resting period, their cold starting current was then recorded using a special instrument (Bosch BAT 121) according to European standard methods - our first measurement.

After another 24 hour break, the pressure was applied again: For the load test we connected a device consuming 300 W (heating mats) to each battery, and measured the voltage after 15 and 30 minutes in order to see the reaction to the discharge process. After being subjected to this harsh treatment, the batteries were then connected to the charger again, and the voltage measured after 15 and 30 minutes of charging. These values indicate how quickly the battery can ideally recover after heavy use."

I ordered this instead. Seems like a good product, but the price in Europe is 50 % higher than the US prices for the Yuasa. In Norway the Yuasa is almost 50% higher than the Delo AMG.

DELO AGM starter battery

• Member Contributer

I've had good luck so far with my Wal-Mart AGM battery. It's made by Yuasa. Believe it was under $60.00 with a core. Got it there because I was in a hurry and needed one right away.

Just ordered the YUASA YTZ14S at BikeBandit.com for $71 plus $9 shipping. The YTZ12S lasted a good long time. At least 3 years. Thought I'd try this one since I'm using more acc. power these days.

Holy cow, Capt. Bob, you must've had a whopping coupon or something. Bike Bandit currently lists the YTZ14S @ $179.96 + shipping. Way to score, man!

• Member Contributer

YTX-12BS is a sealed lead-acid battery. It's maintenance free, but the YTZ series is the AGM type.

They are, in fact, both valve-regulated lead acid ("maintenance free") AGM batteries! The only technology difference is that the YTZ series are "factory activated", and the YTX series are purchaser-activated (you add the acid and charge).

Without cutting one of each open, I cannot explain why the YTZ12S and the YTZ14S have different capacities/CCA and the same physical size. But I do see that the 14S weighs 0.5lbs more than the 12S...

Speaking of tests (re the Delo), someone on the "Intruder" forum did a similar kind of battery test, which makes for interesting reading (even if he inexplicably did not test an OEM or Yuasa battery!). One of the best performing batteries in that test was the distinctive yellow Motobatt, which is widely available in the 'States. Might be worth checking out. However, I only use OEM Yuasas...

Ciao,

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone tried the Adventure Power UTZ14S? It's rated at 12V, 11.2Ah, 134 Whr.

Product Dimensions: 6 x 3.5 x 4.5 inches ; 7.9 pounds

Found one on Amazon today for $56.59. Very tempting...

http://www.amazon.com/UPG-UTZ14S-Adventure-Sealed-Battery/dp/B001ZTBIEC/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306518827&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Seems like the price of the YUASA YTZ14S has gone up since this thread last took place. Checking around the web, I'm looking at several vendors on eBay selling it for $137.99 + Free shipping for this battery. Has anyone considered swapping over to Lithium battery?

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/LFX18A1-BS12.html

Well, no one has ever accused me of being a patient man. I ordered the Shorai LFX14A1-BS12 from Motomummy.com. Paid $139.95, free shipping. I figured for about $2 more, the Lithium ion battery's lighter weight is worth it. Will post updates when I receive the battery and install it.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=18829

I had meant to post this a while back, but I found out something that makes the YTZ14S less of a good deal than the YTZ12S.

My last 2 batteries have been YTZ14S, and they've not lasted as long as I would have expected. In fact, the last one died after being on the bike for less than a year.

I asked an acquaintance of mine who owns a battery shop how it is that the 14S, although smaller, makes more CCA's.

The answer is thinner lead plates.

The downside of this is that the thinner plates will be more prone to sulfation and shorter life.

That has cured me of the use of a YTZ14S.

It also has more reserve power in addition to cca, I have 46,000 miles on my yuasa 14ytz, and its been flawless , the orginal 12 Fukarama(oem), got really weak around 42,000 miles.

Your the only one Ive seen have bad luck with these batteries(yuasa, and I suspect either your not running the real thing, or somethins defintely up in your case.

Too many riding the yuasa 14 ytz ,

• Member Contributer

Just order one from Motomummy.com

https://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=18829

$90.00 to the door ..................

Is that the right size battery? It looks like it might be the one comparable to a YTX-7BS (quite a bit less powerful than OEM). Still, these Shorais are starting to look very tempting...

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I had meant to post this a while back, but I found out something that makes the YTZ14S less of a good deal than the YTZ12S.

My last 2 batteries have been YTZ14S, and they've not lasted as long as I would have expected. In fact, the last one died after being on the bike for less than a year.

I asked an acquaintance of mine who owns a battery shop how it is that the 14S, although smaller, makes more CCA's.

The answer is thinner lead plates.

The downside of this is that the thinner plates will be more prone to sulfation and shorter life.

That has cured me of the use of a YTZ14S.

The ytz 14s ? Dude what are you talking about, did you buy some fake ytz14 s , these batteries are the best I have 40,0000 miles on mine , its been flawless , far better than original battery.

I dont know what happened in your case, but what your saying is simply not true, this battery is built for st 1300's . And you think its going to fail early in a vfr. That simply makes no sense

Bull crap IM running it, its an Outstanding Battery , mine is over 2 years old and 40,000 mile , still flawless

and not only more CCA , but more reserve Power, meaning it can sustain longer

BTW the ytz 14 is not smaller than the 12 ytz, they are identical in size, which leads me to think, your dealing with some kind of fake stuff. The competive type batteries tend to be mis sized in comparison

Relax, 'Dude'!

Too much coffee?

Chalk it up to lack of attention to detail: I meant the original spec battery, the YTX12-BS.

The YTX12-BS is about 3/4" higher than the YTZ14S.

As to it being "fake", I don't remember if the two short-lived batteries were branded Yuasa or not.

The rest of the statement is comparative: A battery with thinner plates be more prone to sulfation and shorter life than one with thicker plates.

Can't argue with chemistry.

Seems like the price of the YUASA YTZ14S has gone up since this thread last took place. Checking around the web, I'm looking at several vendors on eBay selling it for $137.99 + Free shipping for this battery. Has anyone considered swapping over to Lithium battery?

http://www.batteryst...X18A1-BS12.html

DUDE , I went to Dairy Queen , a small vanilla cone $1.75 ,, Thats riduculous, no more ice cream cones, Im not paying that.

Archived