2003 Vfr800: Battery Replacement

Guest woodcycl

Guest woodcycl

Read in another thread that the Yuasa YTZ14S (meant more for the ST1100 and ST1300) is actually a better battery for the 6th Gen VFR. Is this the consensus? The dimensions are identical according to Yuasa's website.

Here are the spec variations:

YTZ12S

Voltage: 12 Capacity (Amp. Hrs.): 11

Dimensions: 6" x 3 7/16" x 4 3/8"

Weight: 8.1 lbs.

Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 110mm

Metric Weight: 3.7 kg

Polarity: Acid

Volume: N/A

Charging Current (Amps.): 1.1

C.C.A.: 210

YTZ14S

Voltage: 12

Capacity (Amp. Hrs.): 11.2

Dimensions: 6" x 3 7/16" x 4 3/8"

Weight: 8.6 lbs.

Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 110mm

Metric Weight: 3.9 kg

Polarity: Acid

Volume: N/A

Charging Current (Amps.): 1.1

C.C.A.: 230

Thoughts? Recommendations on online retailers? My local shop wanted $131 plus tax !!

• Member Contributer

Spec-wise, it doesn't matter so much with the 6th gens.

5th gen and earlier used the YTX12-BS, which was only about 180 CCA and was an inch higher, to boot.

The 6th gen YTZ-12S batteries are much closer to the YTZ-14S (210 vs. 230 CCA) and are the same size.

The bigger issue might be availability.

I got my YTZ-14S at tucmoto.com last June for $104 plus shipping. The shipping cost sucked (shipping to Hawaii), but that's not their fault.

They still list it at the same price, but don't list the YTZ-12S.

motorcyclebatteriesusa.com lists the YTZ-12S for $104.75 and the YTZ-14S for $101.75 with free shipping in the lower 48.

Given the extra 20 CCA for 3 dollars less, I'd go with the 14.

Whoever you end up buying it from, do yourself a favor and avoid any brand other than Yuasa or Wiseco.

• Member Contributer
Spec-wise, it doesn't matter so much with the 6th gens.

5th gen and earlier used the YTX12-BS, which was only about 180 CCA and was an inch higher, to boot.

The 6th gen YTZ-12S batteries are much closer to the YTZ-14S (210 vs. 230 CCA) and are the same size.

The bigger issue might be availability.

I got my YTZ-14S at tucmoto.com last June for $104 plus shipping. The shipping cost sucked (shipping to Hawaii), but that's not their fault.

They still list it at the same price, but don't list the YTZ-12S.

motorcyclebatteriesusa.com lists the YTZ-12S for $104.75 and the YTZ-14S for $101.75 with free shipping in the lower 48.

Whoever you end up buying it from, do yourself a favor and avoid any brand other than Yuasa or Wiseco.

What's the difference with the YTX-12-BS made by Yuasa? Motorcycle Pro Shop lists it as the one for the 6th Gen, selling it for $55 plus shipping.

See link http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/detail.as...uct_id=YTX12-BS

Did I get an inferior variation? :unsure:

~Fred

What's the difference with the YTX-12-BS made by Yuasa? Motorcycle Pro Shop lists it as the one for the 6th Gen, selling it for $55 plus shipping.

See link http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/detail.as...uct_id=YTX12-BS

Did I get an inferior variation? :unsure:

~Fred

YTX-12BS is a sealed lead-acid battery. It's maintenance free, but the YTZ series is the AGM type.

Get the YTZ-14S every time.

More Zolts, less filling! smile.gif

• Member Contributer

I just took another 2% OFF using this coupon code MBUSA545

$ 99.71 woo hoo!!!!

• Member Contributer

Well after placing the order....they gave me another code for 5% OFF. MBUSA007

Hope someone will benefit from this.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Here's the battery I got for my 2004 ABS VFR. Power Source Power Sport 12 Volt Battery (WPZ12S) 250 CCA, $82.95 It's the most CCA you can get...that I have found anyway.

Get it at: E-Batteries.com

Well after placing the order....they gave me another code for 5% OFF. MBUSA007

Hope someone will benefit from this.

Cheers!

Thanks, I just did. Appreciate that, came at a great time.

So what is the best batt for the 5th gen?

Exact same one that's in this thread. YTZ-14S AGM type.

Only it's 3/4" shorter than a YTX-12BS, so you need to fabricate a 3/4" plywood spacer to sit underneath the battery.

I used the bottom of the old battery as a template, tracing a line around the base with a pencil, making sure the line was slightly smaller than the case.

Jigsaw out, sand the edges, and Bob's your Uncle! Instant spacer!

LxW is identical, as is the polarity.

• Member Contributer
So what is the best batt for the 5th gen?

Exact same one that's in this thread. YTZ-14S AGM type.

Only it's 3/4" shorter than a YTX-12BS, so you need to fabricate a 3/4" plywood spacer to sit underneath the battery.

I used the bottom of the old battery as a template, tracing a line around the base with a pencil, making sure the line was slightly smaller than the case.

Jigsaw out, sand the edges, and Bob's your Uncle! Instant spacer!

LxW is identical, as is the polarity.

Thanks so much for the great info.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for all this info, guys.

After 25,000 miles and 4 years my battery finally bit it this a.m. It's been teasing with weak starts for about a month.

Dealership wants $148 :huh: for a replacement and I was dreading having to shell that out. Glad to see there are options.

Any feedback on these online no-name options?

Guest Jonchilds

New YTZ12S batteries are $310 (AUD) where I live - and that's not from Honda.

Definately get the YTZ14S if you can find it, higher CCA for the same application means that the electrode packing tends to last longer, which means longer battery life.

• 2 months later...

Well... looks like my battery bit the bullet. I haven't ridden for a few weeks and my bike has been sitting through some cold weather. Last night I turned on the key, everything was fine. Dash came on, fuel pump came on, headlights came on. But when I hit the starter NOTHING happened. It didn't even try to start. I put it on a 2 amp charge overnight. Everything seemed fine...but this morning the on the charger the red 'fault' light was lit. So, I restarted the charger at 6 amps, and a few minutes later it indicated a full charge. Uh, ok. Put the battery back in just for kicks and it did the same as last night when I tried to start it.

Looks like I'll be shelling out bucks for a new battery. Haven't decided whether to go with Yuasa or a cheaper one. The YTZ12S is $113 at my local speed shop. I can get a cheaper one, but not sure if I want to do that. The YTZ14S sounds like a better battery, so maybe I'll just get that one. Guess I can't complain too much, as I'm replacing the original, 4 year old battery.

• Member Contributer

About 6 months ago I bought a YTZ14-S from http://motorcyclebatteriesusa.com, and it's the same size as the original Yuasa battery. Just checked and the MBUSA007 coupon is no longer valid...all I found was MBUSA545 which gets you 2% off. Interestingly the YTZ14S is 2 bucks less than the YTZ12S.

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Just ordered the YUASA YTZ14S at BikeBandit.com for $71 plus $9 shipping. The YTZ12S lasted a good long time. At least 3 years. Thought I'd try this one since I'm using more acc. power these days.

• Member Contributer

Just ordered the YUASA YTZ14S at BikeBandit.com for $71 plus $9 shipping. The YTZ12S lasted a good long time. At least 3 years. Thought I'd try this one since I'm using more acc. power these days.

I had meant to post this a while back, but I found out something that makes the YTZ14S less of a good deal than the YTZ12S.

My last 2 batteries have been YTZ14S, and they've not lasted as long as I would have expected. In fact, the last one died after being on the bike for less than a year.

I asked an acquaintance of mine who owns a battery shop how it is that the 14S, although smaller, makes more CCA's.

The answer is thinner lead plates.

The downside of this is that the thinner plates will be more prone to sulfation and shorter life.

That has cured me of the use of a YTZ14S.

I had meant to post this a while back, but I found out something that makes the YTZ14S less of a good deal than the YTZ12S.

My last 2 batteries have been YTZ14S, and they've not lasted as long as I would have expected. In fact, the last one died after being on the bike for less than a year.

I asked an acquaintance of mine who owns a battery shop how it is that the 14S, although smaller, makes more CCA's.

The answer is thinner lead plates.

The downside of this is that the thinner plates will be more prone to sulfation and shorter life.

That has cured me of the use of a YTZ14S.

The ytz 14s ? Dude what are you talking about, did you buy some fake ytz14 s , these batteries are the best I have 40,0000 miles on mine , its been flawless , far better than original battery.

I dont know what happened in your case, but what your saying is simply not true, this battery is built for st 1300's . And you think its going to fail early in a vfr. That simply makes no sense

Bull crap IM running it, its an Outstanding Battery , mine is over 2 years old and 40,000 mile , still flawless

and not only more CCA , but more reserve Power, meaning it can sustain longer

BTW the ytz 14 is not smaller than the 12 ytz, they are identical in size, which leads me to think, your dealing with some kind of fake stuff. The competive type batteries tend to be mis sized in comparison

Archived