3rd Gen Battery/rectifier? Issue

ManoWar

Hey guys, i've been starting to have battery problems when i bought my bike and i figured it must have been the battery. I checked it and i was right, the battery was shot. I bought a replacement and charged it completely. I have had no problems for the last 2 days but now it suddenly died on me. Push started the bike and when i came home (35miles on highway) and i stopped it in the driveway it wouldn't start again. I charged the bike for a quick 5 mins and started the bike again. It was running at 9v at idle. Revved it up to 5000rpm and it was doing around 11v. Now i know the norm is 12v and 15v @ 5000rpm. The voltage was creeping down at idle and the bike finally died. Took the rectifier out and tried the pins on an ohm meter. It gave me no results on terminals 1 and 2 and the others where abnormal. Now i am thinking i might of not done it right since i expected to atleast get a reading out of the above mentioned terminals.

Anyway long story short, everything leads to a faulty regulator/rectifier. My questions are

Can i ride with a faulty reg/rectifier, will it damage my bike?

How much does one cost up here in canada?

Is it normal for the bike to not charge the battery at idle? I noticed that if i disconnect the + terminal at idle the bike dies.

I have a meet i will be attending tomorow i will charge the bike tonight, and hopefully on monday i will get a new rectifier. If the bike lasted around 2 weeks on a charge maybe it sometimes charges right? Hopefully it wont die on me tomorow but even so i got used to bump starting it

• Member Contributer

`look at the search button...

found it? good! :thumbsup:

look for reg/rec.. charging problem..

this has been covered 10000000000000000000000000 times. :P

`look at the search button...

found it? good! :thumbsup:

look for reg/rec.. charging problem..

this has been covered 10000000000000000000000000 times. :P

O god i hate these types of posts more than anything else. Hahahahaha i had a good laugh maybe you will feel better after this post, but it certainly doesn't help me. Just FYI i found a lot of posts but i still needed some answers that i could not find in any previous posts. Since you are so kind to point to the search feature maybe you can help me out and posts the answers in this thread. If not see you and have a nice day.

• Member Contributer

fdully charge your battery tonight,,

tomorrow after your meeting ..diconect reg/reg, remove wires from pastic blocks

the best way is to get a VERY fine eyeglass screw driver and push down the tabs that hold the contact wire in place and remove wire from the block..,

clean contact points..

at idle the charging is about 12volts.. but to test it.. put tester on bike and tape it down... tape probs to battery and rev fromn idle to 5000 rpm.. it should not go higher than 14 ..if it goes to 15 the reg/reg is dead.. if it does not go to 13 , it is still dead...

no, it will not hurt the bike to ride with a dead reg /rec...

i hope you just need to clean it..

Good advice. I think the reg/rec is going to turn up bad (it's what killed the new battery).

If any damage IS done, it will be to the new battery, so if it's a quality (read: expensive) battery, you'll want to fix the problem asap otherwise it will take out the battery. If you've gone for a cheap battery you may have further problems down the track regardless of when you fix the problem. The VFR is hard on its electrics so it is cheap insurance to get a quality battery.

If you need to replace it, you can use an R1 reg/rec, latest advice is to go with a 2004+ R1 reg/rec (credit to Chris2992 for that one).

How-to for the R1 reg/rec fitment here:

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bikes/...eg_replace.html

• Member Contributer

Riding with a bad R/R MAY cook the battery (by over charging), and in my case it blew every light I had on the bike. It sounds like yours is dieing by under charging the system, so you might luck out with a properly charged battery and get a good ride done before it packs it in.

Riding with a bad R/R MAY cook the battery (by over charging), and in my case it blew every light I had on the bike. It sounds like yours is dieing by under charging the system, so you might luck out with a properly charged battery and get a good ride done before it packs it in.

Went for a nice +3 (38f) degree ride. I've put 400kms on it and it didn't die except at the last corner before my house (100m). I was lucky but i would not do this again. Gave it a nice wash to get all the salt of it and will look into it tomorow.

If i get to start the bike up again after the battery is dead i need to keep the rev's around 2000+rpm in order to be on the safe side, so that it doesn't die again. I also noticed that my blinkers act up while my battery is dead inside the bike. Also above 7k rpm the bike starts to chug.

Ok so i checked it out and the system does not charge 12.5V @ 5000rpm. The reg/rectifier heats up so bad that after 10min with the engine running i could not touch it. A honda dealer quoted it @ 160+tax and the 2004 R1 is 380 plus tax.

• Member Contributer

try dennis kirk!

they have 2 that fit the vfr for about 100 bucks...

go get a pepboys battery for 40 smackers

then.. go buy a 10 buck computer fan and place it oner the R/R and wire it up.. if you can get some silver heat compound cheap.. buy it and add lots to the back of the r/r befor mounting it..

cut the green gound wires..and bolt(ground) them right to the frame near the r/r..do it to both ends of the cut wire.

kiss you problems good bye!

try dennis kirk!

they have 2 that fit the vfr for about 100 bucks...

go get a pepboys battery for 40 smackers

then.. go buy a 10 buck computer fan and place it oner the R/R and wire it up.. if you can get some silver heat compound cheap.. buy it and add lots to the back of the r/r befor mounting it..

cut the green gound wires..and bolt(ground) them right to the frame near the r/r..do it to both ends of the cut wire.

kiss you problems good bye!

I bought a battery one week ago a yusa. I charged it on the trickle charger. Also i have hundreds of comp fans lying around. Should i put it so that the air is taken out of the area or should i put the fan in such a way that brings air in the area?

It should draw air onto the reg/rec.

FYI, if your battery goes dead, it will never take a proper charge off the motorcycle stator as the stator doesn't give enough amperage to kick the charging process off properly. It should always be tricklecharged on a charger that is suitable for bike batteries (a high amperage car battery charger is bad news for bike batteries).

• Member Contributer

mount the fan directly on top of the reg /rec fins(if you get that style)

either way the air gets flowing over the fins...

if you get the finless style.. space the fan about 1/3 inch above the r/r and have the flow down onto r/r...

as for for the dead battery not taking a charge right.. i cant agree with that...

i fried my battery in AZ .. i mean bone dry.. boiled away... blow all the fuse's fried...

i added pepsi!!!!! (after a small shake to get bubbles out..)

it got me home.. where i drained the bat and added distelled watter and trickel charged it.. it lasted another 2 years.

Hmm i guess they changed it around, the reg/rectifier. I've got one that is totally different then the one i had. You where talking about fins gll429 so i might of gotten that one. I feel like the heatsink provided would be very efficient compared to my old one.

newoldpi1.th.jpg

Archived