Charging A Battery

ccnaylor

• Member Contributer

DUMB question, I know but here it is anyway....

When i hook up my battery charger/tender when the battery is in the bike is it ok if the charger clips don't touch the battery terminals? IE The clips are touching the battery cable connectors, not necessarily the battery terminals themselves.

Will this result in not properly charging the battery?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
DUMB question, I know but here it is anyway....

When i hook up my battery charger/tender when the battery is in the bike is it ok if the charger clips don't touch the battery terminals? IE The clips are touching the battery cable connectors, not necessarily the battery terminals themselves.

Will this result in not properly charging the battery?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

No worries, just make sure they're clipped on securely and not going to fall off and ground out on any other wires/the frame/etc.

• Member Contributer

I have seen that be a problem on batteries that were not well connected to the cables. If the connections are good, your golden. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Better yet, install the semi-permanent cords that come with most trickle chargers. If you route the plug to come out in a convenient spot, you will never need to take your seat off to charge the battery. Just set the charger on the floor during charging, in case you forget to unplug before heading out on a ride. :goofy:

As long as your clamped to metal on the cable or post, your fine.

I have a PowerLet connector and have made a plug for the charger that plugs into the outlet to charge the bike, as mentioned I never have to lift the seat or remove anything to charge the bike! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies everyone. My new battery (last year) drops voltage quite quickly, so i may get a new one. I also need to get my new battery tender JR from my friends house to see if it isn't my old tender instead. Right now the battery on the bike shows 12.4v but when i hook up my old charger it says the battery is charged :goofy:

Archived