Yamaha R1 R/r?

Guest Zerosum

Guest Zerosum

Like so many VFR riders out there... I have a charging system problem with my '97 4th Gen. I'm virtually certain it's the R/R. I'm going to do the appropraite diagnostics to make sure, but I'm proceeding on that assumption for now.

I serioulsy lucked out... a mechanic friend of mine had a 2000 R1 R/R sitting around. I know from my internet research that this R/R is pretty much the most "drop-in" replacement unit there is for the VFR. I intend to follow these instructions when swapping it out:

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bikes/...eg_replace.html

My question: who here is running with an R1 R/R? Any anecdotes on how reliable they are? I've read that they're really reliable, but I figured I'd ask here.

Thanks!

Rob

• Member Contributer

Lots of problems with the R1 RR's prior to the 04-present version. I did quite a portion of research before setteling on the 04-present one, it has much larger heat sinks and such. The 00's don't even use a heatsink, not so good when it is installed in a poorly ventalated enclosed area. The 01-03 ones use a small heat sink, but not nearly as robust as the 04 to present. I picked mine up on ebay for $10 with $10 shipping, and it works like a charm, cool to the touch after hours of riding.

Archived