I Sure Hope It's Just The Battery

2003_VTEC_Rider

Hey all,

I went to go and get my bike out yesterday to see how she was running after her winter nap. Went to go and thumb the starter, and she didn't come to life. So, I checked, and of course she wasn't on the battery tender all night (went down into the 20's) and the other day I found the plug hanging part way out of the wall. So, I think that it hasn't had a charge on the battery for a few days. I left her in the charger for a bit, and went back out and she started (barely). I got her out and running for a bit, and when I got home after 30 minutes I shut her off. I went to go start her and move the bike, and it wouldn't start.

So, I am thinking that the battery is toast. I am pretty sure that it has been sitting in the bike for the two years before I bought it, and now after two Michigan winters, it has finally died.

What does everyone think?

Later,

Jeff

Well, I am glad that I am right this time. I hate being wrong. Now I have to find a replacement battery for my baby. Local Stealership quoted me $119, I said thanks, but no thanks.

I will have to check with one of the local auto parts stores, or some place like Wally world. They tend to have them there.

Later,

Jeff

Well, I went and got a battery from a local place, and that seems to be the problem. Only, now I have a new issue, the batter is about a half an inch taller than the stock one. Going to have to head back with it I think. I can't seem to get things on the way they should, and if it doesn't fit back the way it normally did, I don't want it.

• Member Contributer
Well, I went and got a battery from a local place, and that seems to be the problem. Only, now I have a new issue, the batter is about a half an inch taller than the stock one. Going to have to head back with it I think. I can't seem to get things on the way they should, and if it doesn't fit back the way it normally did, I don't want it.

You will have a tough time finding a cheap replacement. It is an odd size (which you just found out) and it also needs to be completely sealed (it sits at an angle).

I bought one last week for my 5th gen from Advance Auto Parts for $54. Identical dimensions as the old battery, which in itself was a replacement, but fits perfectly. I made the mistake of leaving my old battery on a 10A trickle charger for an extended period (a few days). I have since learned that a high amperage trickle charger ain't necessarily a good thing. So, I also got a battery tender junior on sale at Cycle Gear.

Well, after a little bit of fiddling with it, I got everything back together with no issues. I am not worried about the seal on it. Once you get everything inside it to get it activated, you have to snap down a seal on it to close everything off. I really had to push on everything to get it to shut, and once it was it doesn't look like anything short of destroying the cover is going to get it off.

Bike came right to life though once the new battery was in!

Plus this one is a deep cycle one that will allow it drain and come back up with better results than the last one.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jeff

Archived