5th Gen Electrical

Guest gregLewis

Guest gregLewis

I am replacing the R/R on my 98 with a non-standard R/R. Any idea where I could get new connector blocks...the one from the alternator and the one from the R/R? How about the brass male & female sliders?

Thanks

Greg

• Member Contributer

Eliminate the connector all together and solder the wires together perminately. Much better connection, the connector gets hot and acts like a resistor, thus the reson they look all burnt.

Which RR did you decide to go with. I chose a "05 R1 RR and it runs cool to the touch and outputs 14.2v at 5k rpm.

Eliminate the connector all together and solder the wires together perminately. Much better connection, the connector gets hot and acts like a resistor, thus the reson they look all burnt.

Which RR did you decide to go with. I chose a "05 R1 RR and it runs cool to the touch and outputs 14.2v at 5k rpm.

Not sure...it's a Honda, and it has an extra wire...black in color. I hooked it up and the output is great. Per Miguel, the black wire reads the voltage, and needs to be hooked into the system in a lighting circuit before the fuse. I didn't hook it up in the test, and I was getting 17+ volts. Yikes!

I'm having to play around with the mounting, as it's a larger unit and the bolt pattern is not the same. Just getting warm enough in Chicago to work in the bike. Started it up two nights ago...

Damn did it sound sweeeeeeeeeeet! Guess that why I don't look at other bikes.

• Member Contributer
Not sure...it's a Honda, and it has an extra wire...black in color. I hooked it up and the output is great. Per Miguel, the black wire reads the voltage, and needs to be hooked into the system in a lighting circuit before the fuse. I didn't hook it up in the test, and I was getting 17+ volts. Yikes!

Honda connects the black wire downstream of the fuse box in an ignition-key-on circuit. On my '96 the closest match was the fuel pump relay circuit. I kept the run short by splicing into the harness where it passes by the battery box.

gallery_4773_2265_65823.jpg

I found plugs in import cars at the junkyard. Matching 3-wire stator plug was under the hood of a Toyota inside the fuse block.

More pictures in my gallery and this thread.

Archived