Tales Of Zumo

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

As a side note when we navigated this piece of road South East from Lassen NP there were entirely different reactions from the two Zumo riders depending on the Zumo Recalc mode and "other factors".

2981984670099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

My BMW buddy has his Zumo set on Auto recalculation mode.

I have mine shut off which is the default position for me except in large metro areas or perhaps when I want to explore a neighborhood. In the hood, I just set the destination to a point on the other side of the maze and just ride around, explore and let the Zumo pull me out.

Now my RT partner has a problem that he has not come to terms with. :blink:

It is not his plumbing but something much more important on tour.

med_gallery_2144_2004_143270.jpg

His wife seems to support him though - no matter what - unconditional L......... or ............. :wheel: .

In essence, he is totally on voice as he is blind unless he uses his reading glasses and then he can not see the road.

I have a competitive advantage as I have the latest dual pane correction devices. A man has to know his limitations. :pissed:

med_gallery_2144_2004_226917.jpg

He panics as he gets one continuous recalculating message that he is off track and all I have to do is look at the screen and see we are going to join up with the route in a couple of miles or so. He can not see it though - this is a problem!

If this happens all you have to do is tap the screen to get another perspective and see if you need to do anything.

Have to hurry with this post as I am off to Durango by Zumo. Guess which bike I am taking.

2466696760099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Another note on the Zumo

When you are on the run and pull up a new destination be it a town or a gas station. Be advised that these distances and direction are as the crow flies.

Mt Laguna

2846329960099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

If you are stopped and do the same thing you get cardinal points of the compass. BTW this is the safer way to go. Even though the hard buttons and touch screen are very easy to use.

2052263370099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Actual route to Mt Laguna and miles. Add another six miles or so!

2328791360099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

This can be a little disconcerting at first but the Zumo can not simultaneously compute and continuously update multiple routes at one time so it gives the crow distances and you pick one and see if it works by calculating the route.

Bon Voyage

In essence, he is totally on voice as he is blind unless he uses his reading glasses and then he can not see the road.

That sure is a disadvantage. I sometimes find that when I solely rely on voice prompts I end up taking a wrong turn. Particularly at roundabouts the directions are not always correct.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

That sure is a disadvantage. I sometimes find that when I solely rely on voice prompts I end up taking a wrong turn. Particularly at roundabouts the directions are not always correct.

Yea that is where I come down too. Originally I thought Voice would be enough but apparently I need more help!

Most of the time I get in trouble now is when I don't believe Jill???? I should know better after all I am married. :idea3:

Sometimes Mr. ZUmo is saying one thing and the sign has another name. Most always the same road though. But you have the problem big time with maps too.

here is my tale of zumo. I recently upgarded from a garmin 2720 to a zumo 550.

so two weeks ago I ride out to the country and travel some of my favorite roads I decide to go to Pa and visit a friend after

then the fun begins, I enter my parents home address and the zumo calculates the route but has no arrival time, this is my first indication that something is not right. I start to look at the route that my zumo wants me to travel and the route goes straight west from pa to ohio and further west, then up into Canada yes Canada and then back east and south to Long Island NY.

gallery_6842_2041_3343.jpg

zumo goes kuuku.JPG

so then I enter my home address and it gives me the same directions, I shut the unit off and the powered it back on and tried again, same thing, so I go to prefences and change the zumo from fastest time to shortest distance and finally the zumo starts to work then I changed it back to fastest time and zumo gave me the correct directions home.

since then I have used it twice and so far so good I like the fact that I can listen to my music without an Ipod, I think that the sound quality is very good and having the volume control right on the unit is much better that digging in my pocket for the Ipod.

also very usefull is the bluetooth function, I did not put a mic in my helmet but now when my phone rings the volume mutes and I can answer the call and listen in on what they have to say, my wife already knows to just speak that I can hear her and if it is important then I can just pull over when safe and call back or just ignore the call and send them to voice mail.

Edited by mellowyellow

• Member Contributer

so two weeks ago I ride out to the country and travel some of my favorite roads I decide to go to Pa and visit a friend after

then the fun begins, I enter my parents home address and the zumo calculates the route but has no arrival time, this is my first indication that something is not right. I start to look at the route that my zumo wants me to travel and the route goes straight west from pa to ohio thru and further west then up into Canada yes Canada and then back east and south to Long Island NY.

i tried several times to stop the and re entered there address but zumo kept calculating the same route, then I entered my address and zumo calculated the route to my home but the same way.

I once had a similar experience using mapquest getting around NYC on business - routing took me to Chicago wherever that is.

A couple of folks experienced something similar before the software upgrades. I never did. Have you upgraded the software on the Zumo?

How are your Avoidances set? Did you talk to tech support?

Sometimes I have done some route programming but failed to hit GO and I got the same route till I went past GO and collected $200. :idea3:

then the fun begins, I enter my parents home address and the zumo calculates the route but has no arrival time, this is my first indication that something is not right. I start to look at the route that my zumo wants me to travel and the route goes straight west from pa to ohio thru and further west then up into Canada yes Canada and then back east and south to Long Island NY.

i tried several times to stop the and re entered there address but zumo kept calculating the same route, then I entered my address and zumo calculated the route to my home but the same way.

I once had a similar experience using mapquest getting around NYC on business - routing took me to Chicago wherever that is.

A couple of folks experienced something similar before the software upgrades. I never did. Have you upgraded the software on the Zumo?

How are your Avoidances set? Did you talk to tech support?

Sometimes I have done some route programming but failed to hit GO and I got the same route till I went past GO and collected $200. :idea3:

my Avoidances were tolls and traffic I also had the wass egos on and have since shut them and leave it on just gps

• Member Contributer

Ok so here I am in CO, heading North out of Telluride on CO 145 about 8 in the morning………………when what to my wondering eyes should appear but a silver VFR and one reindeer GS. Both just full of bags, presents and tour crap.

A quick snap from my RAM mounted camera and a photedit blow up and you get this

Who is this?????????? Help!!!!!!!! :goofy:

2568548320099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

One of the cool things about the Zumo is that you can get a good fix on exactly where you took that photo by comparing the time stamps of your photos and the Zumo track logs.

2308393270099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The kindaaaaaa Blue segment in the middle is where I shot the VFR photo – I was on the move. You can also see what my backtrack loop and pull in to the South looked like when I had to go rescue my buddy who had pulled into the only MC shop he had seen in the Telluride area.

If it helps stir the memory, I was riding my other bike at the time – the one with the AC duct. ………………………….And after reading the Cruiser Bashing thread, there should be no inappropriate, insulting, offensive or fat joke remarks. :idea3:

2801147310099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

You can find some nice software on the net, that can geocode your pictures by writing the location into the exif data. All it takes is the tracklogfile and a list of picture files.

Gpscorrelate is an example of such software

corr.png

• Member Contributer
You can find some nice software on the net, that can geocode your pictures by writing the location into the exif data. All it takes is the tracklogfile and a list of picture files.

Gpscorrelate is an example of such software

corr.png

Cool. Thanks. I may have to screw with that as well........... More time lost <_<

The problem I had initially was that I did not change the time zone on my camera ........but I did on the Zumo.

• Member Contributer

Records and Such

When first released the Zumo did not indicate altitude but did record the information in the trip logs. Sometime in early Spring, the altitude reading was incorporated into the compass row screen.

My previous record for Zumo altitude documentation was atop Tioga Pass in the Sierras during my CA 07 tour.

Almost 10,000 ft and you have to pay to make a recording…………………

med_gallery_2144_2004_143559.jpg

2590962650099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Despite the fact that the Sierras boast the highest mountain in the lower 48, I was able to set some new altitude records on my recent CO tour.

When the Zumo gets about here ……………..

2477340410099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

It starts to have problem……………………..

2553168260099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Which is easily fixed by switching to this new measurement system – which was just invented. :wheel: You just have to believe that 5,280ft in a mile is a lot simpler to understand than that difficult to fathom (6ft by the way) metric/decimal creed.

It is kind of reverse of what I experienced when I lived in England as a kid for a couple of years. I learned :pissed: all about Pounds and Shillings (back then 20 to a pound unless you were talking about a guinea of course) vice the dollar system (how crazy is 100 cents to a dollar anyway) I was familiar with.

Anyway – somewhere in CO????????? :wheel: actually on a Wing and a prayer.

2559573170099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I would convert that to feet but I do not know how.

BTW, the Zumo is usually within 20 ft or so of the posted signs on the hill.

And of course on the way back to San Diego, I sunk ................................... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This is a repost of what I put on Zumoforums:

The question is how do you get miles to the final destination - easy page to the compass screen or Map your directions. But how do you get total miles to a midpoint/lunch etc

I have found that one day of tour should be one route. That way you can get miles to final stop of the day with just a few keystrokes. Also the ETA on the main screen is relevant.

My tours decay too much after a couple of days to have a week tour route be that valuable to me. Better after an extemporaneous change of route to make a small change to navigate to the start of day two/three route or whatever.

Navigate back to route

2009247570099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

However, you can get total miles to intermediate point/turn by first getting the list of directions...

For example I want the total miles to Sunrise highway - which lists the leg miles between turns/viapoints on this screen

2098859940099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

If you then touch Sunrise you get the total miles to Sunrise ie 55 miles and the estimated ride time. Waypoints work the same except that you see a big fat flag in the middle of the screen. A few extra keystrokes here but it can be done if you want total miles to a viapoint/turn in the middle of your route.

2392098190099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Still like one day one route though!

• 2 weeks later...

My $0.02, I have had a Zumo since June and I love it! I have logged about 8,000 miles with it on my VFR which I got at the end of the month and of the five or six other GPS units I have used it's far and away the best one. First of all the entire US, a lot of Canada and Mexico is preloaded. Previous units required me to load areas, usually by states into the unit. This is fantastic because it's annoying to have to load routes. Also I haven't been able to plan a route that the GPS wouldn't work with yet. Previous units would complain with a 2000 mile trip because of memory.

The 2GB SD card holds about 500 songs which coupled with an Autocom is excellent. If you use an MP3 player one thing you probably have dealt with is trying to access the interface to change or find songs. The Zumo interface is very easy to use and it's easy to see. I have the 450 and at some point I am going to sell it and get a 550 because of the BT connection to my phone. I could use the Autocom with the phone but I want to see the caller ID which the 550 would get me. Also the Autocom makes missing turns non-existant because the Zumo tells you when a turn is coming up. So I don't spend my time looking at maps or the GPS, I enjoy the ride instead. When I want some data about when I am arriving, it's available for me. I used to be a complete fool with maps, putting markers on them and watching mileage as I travelled. Since using GPSs in general I don't think about the trip. When I see a sign for an attraction I pull off without a second thought because the GPS will get me back on track without any issues for me. It's absolutely fantastic to get the address of a customer in Canada and just put it into the GPS and bam! I have a route in a minute. No extensive planning needed. I love that. And when I tell friends about the trip, invariably they tell me about a little side trip and I can add it with hardly any thought.

I have ridden in torential rain and the unit certainly seems to be waterproof.

All around this is a great GPS and I am not using it to it's potential compared to a lot of people on the forum.

• Member Contributer

More Road Lessons Learned in AZ/CO

Previously, I mentioned how you can easily throw in extra waypoints/favorites from Mapsource, when you are planning routes for a tour. They do not have to be in the routes in your tour plan. If you mark em up in Mapsource, they will be downloaded to the Zumo.

My recent Colorado/AZ tour was testimony to the value of throwing in a few extra possibilities in the quiet of the night on a PC while at home. This saves a lot of time and Zumo keystrokes when you are on the road or in a campground – trying to find cities, places you do not know how to spell.

Just about every route, I had planned, went out the window as soon as my tour colleagues joined up in San Diego.

Here they are – and one of them was riding a “Dream” or some sort of V4 anyway. They do a lot of commercial work???????????? in M. Valley.

2441534440099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Since it was their tour and I was baggage, I deferred to them but of course the daily legs and possible permutations had to be checked out on the Zumo first. There was a lot of the punching on the fly at the last minute. They seemed to think the Zumo was overkill till they needed an answer like how far and or which way??!!

The favorites made it real easy to “GO” figure!

Of my 8 preplanned routes all but one went out the window. Oh well.

What I would do differently on the road is to use the previously downloaded waypoints/favorites to construct actual routes vice punch in a favorite and GO directly to it.

What I did……….

This is my screen shot of leaving Goulding’s Campground (AZ/UT border) on the way to Durango. Just punched in a favorite and hit GO.

2621757500099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

BTW…………..I can think of only one advantage to having sixty year old plumbing.

2641439170099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Construct a route or Touch GO?

The end result is the same but after the trip when you download your trip logs/routes/new favorites you will have those extemporaneous routes plugged in as opposed to having to construct them from your track logs. This means you will be able to download your "on the fly" routes when you return.

Of course, you could always construct your routes from your active trip log at the end of each day – but I am too tired/forgetful despite my Sargent or Wing saddle.

I continue to have an occasional hiccup like this Lake City Cutoff /RT26 to join up on the Silver Thread route on CO 149. I think it is a dirt road and not friendly for a Wing. Maybe I need a Uly?

You can see my actual tracks and the purple shows the recommended route which I ignored or was oblivious to the Jill’s protestations.

2240360910099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

With my Default Recalc (OFF) setting she only gets one shot to “inform” me as opposed to numerous and rude reminders. Of course, I was right this time but most of the time I am Fubar or worse.

But this just reminds me how smart I am and that Humans can not be replaced ………….Just yet anyway. :beer:

Anybody want a Bonus CO/AZ Trip Report? :warranty:

Over the last years you could buy (at least in Europe) a Honda branded Garmin Streetpilot 2610 with a remote control on the left clipon with which you could use some of the basic functions, like zooming and volume control, with your left thumb. It also came with a special mount for the VFR (bolted to the clutch and brake reservoir).

hondanavsp2610fe4.th.jpg

Euro versions looked a bit different from the Japanese navigator. Unfortunately I can't find the link to the flyer I posted here on VFRD before. Also the Euro Honda sites don't show the nav set in the VFR accessory list anymore.

The Streetpilots have now been replaced by the Zumo 550. The pic below shows what is included in the nav set:

main-02.jpgphoto.jpg

Curently only the Japanese Honda website mentions the nav set. The Euro sites provide no further info at this moment.

The nav set comes with helmet speakers, but you can can also use the Honda (Gathers M) bluetooth communicator with the Zumo.

option.jpg

Below a close-up of the remote control:

photo.jpg

You can also use the remote control to browse through the MP3s stored on the zumo and some other menu's, so you don't have to take your hands off the clipons.

This page offers a download link to a 148 page manual (in Kanji). Looks like Honda did a better job on making a user manual for the Zumo than Garmin.

I am not very familiar with the Zumo (have an older streetpilot) but someone else pointed out that the "Honda" Zumo has some different menus from the regular Garmin Zumo. For instance, it can plot the location and signal strength of the GPS satellites (common to the streetpilots) and also the telephone menu is said to be different (besides the use of Kanji :D )

satsr6.th.png sat2wx8.th.png

Satellite menu.

teljm9.th.png

Telephone menu.

Don't know if there will be a special Zumo mount for the VFR as there was for the Streetpilot. Interesting however that the Honda Zumo has different firmware from the original Garmin Zumo. Not sure if BWM has a different firmware in their navigator III (Garmin SP2720). It does come with all BMW dealer loaded into the map data.

• Forum CEO

I found my Garmin quest to be invaluable on my 50k miles of trips with it, but unreliable with it tendancy to break the antenna. I hope the zumo is more rugged I am going to replace it this winter with a zumo. I like that I wont have to update maps all the time when going accross country, there is more than enough memory for the entire us. The quest was lacking in capacity, small buttons and of course the flimsy antanne. How easy is it to use the built in mp3 player?

And yes mapsource doesnt have enough roads marked as dirt, since it was always trying to route me on dirt roads. You have to be smarter than the gps. Usually its just a few miles more but that lake city route I know well! That one would have been hell on a Wing. You can tell it not to route you on a dirt road but they still do sometimes if you have it set for shortest distance instead of fastest route.

I found my Garmin quest to be invaluable on my 50k miles of trips with it, but unreliable with it tendancy to break the antenna. I hope the zumo is more rugged I am going to replace it this winter with a zumo.

And yes mapsource doesnt have enough roads marked as dirt, since it was always trying to route me on dirt roads.

The Zumo has an internal antenna, not a flip-up like the quest, so that's a big plus. And from what I've heard the Zumo is a pretty rugged device. Best story was from a guy who was doing 40mph downhill on his (race)bicycle (yeah, don't ask why having a zumo on you bicycle :D ) when he hit a patch of bad asphalt and the Zumo dropped out of the mount onto the pavement. Bounced several times before coming to a halt in the weed besides the road. Zumo was fine, only some scratches.

As for the dirtroads, I hear ya. My experience is that only roads that were created by solely removing the vegetation are marked as dirt roads. If someone just throws some stonechips on it, it is marked by navteq as being a regular "paved" road. Garmin/Navteq does have a website where you can report map errors, but it is not very userfriendly. I filed some errors but got tired of having to type my personal info over and over again. Why do I have to do that when I am already logged into their website? :joystick: And like you said, after having used mapsource for some time, you get a feel for what roads to avoid when plotting a route.

but I have way too much crap on my Wing grip as it is.

There is supposed to be another generic Zumo firmware change coming --- maybe the Sat stuff will be there. I just want the 10K ft fixed on the altimeter so that I can go back to CO and avoid those meters :rolleyes:

Get a new wing :D All 2007 Wings come with the built in GPS (Garmin 7200?) don't they? That way you'll have some extra space to add other gadgets. I can't however imagine what other gadget you can add to the wing other than maybe a small bbq. :lol:

On the 10k ft. Is that because the altitude indiction is limited to a max of four digits? Looking at the screendump, I guess it is. But what about the tracklog, does it show the correct (non metric) altitude?

Btw, here is a pic of the Honda Streetpilot2610 mount for the 6th gen.

2610rc46xx6.jpg

• Member Contributer
I found my Garmin quest to be invaluable on my 50k miles of trips with it, but unreliable with it tendancy to break the antenna. I hope the zumo is more rugged I am going to replace it this winter with a zumo. I like that I wont have to update maps all the time when going accross country, there is more than enough memory for the entire us. The quest was lacking in capacity, small buttons and of course the flimsy antanne. How easy is it to use the built in mp3 player?

And yes mapsource doesnt have enough roads marked as dirt, since it was always trying to route me on dirt roads. You have to be smarter than the gps. Usually its just a few miles more but that lake city route I know well! That one would have been hell on a Wing. You can tell it not to route you on a dirt road but they still do sometimes if you have it set for shortest distance instead of fastest route.

I have not dropped my Zumo yet..................... but no problems with bumps, handling, vibrations (I had one once on the Wing), weather and no exposed ant/leads/etc to break. In fact the receiver (sirfIII) is one of the best in the business and I get a fix anywhere and quickly even in my two story house. All of the maps are on the base unit so you don't fool with no stinking maps.

The MP3 works great and auto mutes when Nav directions/turns blare out. I just use the MP3 format songs that I rip for my (sorry) Zune and copy them to the 4 gig SD card. Very easy to do. The Zumo MP3 is easy to control with touch buttons. I think the unit has a 1,000 song limit right now but you could put another card in after your your 8th day of riding I guess - maybe your third day of the Iron Butt.

Here are the basic controls... TIP - If you are an Audiofreak you can just touch the screen art and get all the specs of your MP3 recording and then blow up the screen to look at/up Ms Spears or something.

2944667720099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Yea I figured that road/route was dirt.

Like you said - Sometimes the map dB just does not think/know the road is dirt!!!! So not matter what RULES you put in Mapsource or the Zumo you get routed on that filthy stuff. It just so dirty/messy almost as bad as stepping in this.

2651637730099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Here are some of the Avoidances that you can put in Mapsource when you plan your routes on the PC. Note a little different than the Zumo. :rolleyes:

2486729850099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

When the routes are preloaded and you are following them it is not that important what Avoidances you have plugged into the Zumo. However when you are freelancing like I did in CO you better check your settings.

Like you, I tend to prefer........

Fastest time over shortest distance cause you can get routed on some really shiiiiiiiiiiiiii roads. I need that Uly I guess.

2617159250099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

When you enable the Avoidances you get some choices: U turns, Highways Toll roads, plus the ones on this screen (unpaved roads for example).

2220646020099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

But you can not have it all. If you say no traffic and shortest route and there is only one road you get "Farmington" running South out of Durango and that sucks. As they say in the business "I will never do that again"!

As you correctly state "You have to be smarter than the GPS" . In my own words, you have to have your wits about you and this is a problem when you are a half wit. Edited to Add "Like Me"!

But heck I got lost/hit on dirt with pure Maps toooooooooo. But I could have ridden out on my MTB. :unsure:

Somewhere in Idaho??????

2269878910099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

And remember HS, you still have a coupon for a certain Bed and Breakfast, Zumo test and spare VFR in San Diego when the weather turns. :beer:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO

Well I took the plunge and ordered a zumo 550, my quest is a lost cause. I have gotten used to traveling with a gps and found it to be invaluable, I do love maps but you miss all the great side roads in the places you have never been before. You have to spend hours pouring over a map ahead of time, when all you have to do on a gps is tell it to avoid interstates and such..

http://www.pcnation.com

Good price, free shipping, no tax!

1 ZUMO 550 PORTABLE GPS GPS PERP 611.80

_________

Sales Tax: 0.00

Shipping 0.00

Total $: 611.80

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This a copy of a post I put up on Advrider. Lots of questions over there about track capability of Zumo etc. This may help. Maybe your planning 2008?

In practical terms, the Zumo can store about two days of riding in the active track log.......after that it archives them to logs. You can show the active track log on the Zumo screen. For me I basically can ride for a month and have track logs. All of this happens automatically.

Here is an example of the displayed track log on the ZUmo. Tracks going in and out of Campground in Borrego area of CA

2563201060099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Here are downloaded tracks in Colorado.....the purple is the route I did not take on the trip.

In Yosemite ......again Preplanned routes in and out to Curry Village plus tracks to my campsite.

2716716350099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

You can see/display the active track log on the Zumo screen but once it archives you can only see it in Mapsource when you get home..

If you did not follow your route and liked your tracks better (actual trip) then you can save the tracks as routes at the end of each day. Or after the trip you can download all the tracks (active/current and archive tracks) to mapsource, clean up a little and export back to the Zumo to make routes.

Here is a combo or dirt and paved roads routes around Telluride after they were converted to routes on the Zumo then back to mapsource for planning for the next visit.

2440153790099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Dirt on a Wing you ask?? Ok nobody asked <_<

Garmin just released it's latest version of Mapsource. It is supposed to suppress anouncements of viapoints. I've found that with my streetpilot (III), still some viapoints are anounced, but overall it's behaviour has improved.

You can download the latest version from http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Best to keep up with the updates on Mapsource and now the Zumo.......

Version 3.8 just released:

Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.80:

Add support for African Time zones.

Add support for several new pre-recorded voices.

Add support for distances in yards when a British voice is selected (may require updated voice).

Added support for MAD Maps scenic routes.

Allow the compass page to display 5 digits of elevation.

Improved handling of circular routes. Allows entry at alternate point. Will not announce arrival when starting a route. (All routes will be deleted after update, but can be re-imported from GPX files.)

Keep the map detail level when go from main map to browse map.

When reviewing a gas station after pressing the fuel button from main map, the map will now be centered on selected gas station rather than the vehicle.

Change Optimal Reorder so it does not include the final point when reordering.

Correct issue where backlight may change if you remain on the backlight adjust page for a period of time.

Correct issue where backlight may turn off when location is above polar circle.

Correct issue that would sometimes cause highways to be labeled with the incorrect name.

Correct issue that would not allow more than a single point to be added to some routes.

Correct issues when the same map is loaded in two different regions.

Correct issue when searching for cities on basemap.

Correct off road transitions in track to route when there is no map coverage.

Correct issue playing Audible format 4 books.

Correct distance for mixed routes imported from MapSource

Correct issue that caused all traffic delays to be 1min when using certain maps.

Correct issue that prevented TrafficMaster service from being properly named on the unit.

Correct issue that prevented some very large track log activities from being archived correctly.

Correct issue where changes to a route would be lost if you press and hold the back button.

Correct issue that caused MP3?s to be paused for navigation announcements when navigation was set to off and a pre-recorded voice was selected.

Sounds like I need another road trip for proper eval :D

Looks like this probem is over anyway

2553168260099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ok .........a quick test of 3.8

Now you can really rule out the Freeway/Interstates with one button on the Zumo

2127650550099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

This could save a lot of time when route planning/constructing on the Zumo itself.

Route thru San Diego avoiding the Interstates (I-5) just as advertised! Works great did several tests.

2921657450099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I still do not know what a Zumo "Highway" does/is.............but never did.

Mapsource and the Zumo should have the same AVOIDS..........they don't

• Member Contributer

Well, after spending several idle days reading through this entire post and also scanning the Zumo forum, I was sold. As several of you have entrusted your cash to PC Nation, I went in that same direction. There are somewhat cheaper prices out there, but I didn't want to get something that had crumbs from a sandwich in their "sealed" box.

Although we are not big tourers, my little group does do a 3-day trip to Vermont every year, in addition to a bunch of 1-day rides in Maine and New Hampshire. Our planning is controlled by an evil being that we call The Tourmaster. While his routes are generally quite good, he has absolutely no appreciation of time or distance. Lunch is always just "45 minutes away", even if we later discover that we are 200 miles from our dining destination. We never even have a route map to share, just a Word Perfect file (which no one can open) listing the general route. I actually converted a day-1 route that he provided into Map Point 2007 and discovered that it was 474 miles long. Since getting this group moving is akin to herding cats, I immediately trimmed it down to 300 miles....and even that became a challenge to actually accomplish before dark.

We know most of the good roads up here, or at least we think we do. I can foresee recording a track and then seeking out unknown roads to add to the route. I can also see following The Tourmaster on one of his maxi-excursions so that we use the tracked evidence to pummel him as we arrive at our 3:30 lunch.

I'd like to thank BonusVFR for all the hard work he did in testing and sharing his Zumo experiences with us. I suspect, however, that he had a good time in doing so. :beer:

I'd also like to thank Hispanic Slammer for making this site and the sharing of such valuable information possible. It's been a while since I donated, so I think it's time again. :thumbsup:

I can't wait for winter to end, as it's been far more expensive than actual riding season. In addition to the Zumo, self-Santa also provided an Ohlins 46HRCLS that has spent several evenings being lovingly stroked. Now I'm going to have to do something with the front end, so I'll probably make a donation to Race Tech next. Make it stop!!! :idea3:

PS: I see that this post is up to 9,969 reads. I wonder if it will experience the same 10k scaling problem that the pre-3.8 Zumos experienced. Let's see if VFRD crashes when this post hits 10k. My apologies if I take you all down.