Tales Of Zumo

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

Well I had another delicious morsel about "working around the Recalc issue" and "Trip Logs" but I will have to defer that because Garmin just blasted another upgrade out today.

Both of the major remaining complaints about the Zumo have been fixed/upgraded.

It is hard to bitch about the Zumo now when it looks like this.

med_gallery_2144_2760_75133.jpg

And to think this is where I first saw it - the Zumo I am talking about.

WOW!!!

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:

Added a user selectable Off Route Recalculation Mode

Updated Compass and Trip Computer displays to remember their last page mode

Enabled Bluetooth troubleshooting whenever a phone is paired

Allow volume adjustment when using a Bluetooth headset with audio option set to phone only

Added Lithuanian text language support

Corrected issues in Trip log archive support that resulted in 0 length files and false reporting of full logs

Corrected issue on Compass page that prevented it from displaying the heading

Corrected flashing on the Enter Coordinates page

Corrected issue that allowed the page key to escape from the pin entry for Garmin Lock

Corrected rare issue that could prevent proper startup when custom POI files contain a large number of bitmaps

Corrected problem ejecting on Mac computers

My reviews of the Recalc and Trip logs shortly.

Thanks

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Ok, now let us expand a little on Zumo Trip Logs

Previously, I talked briefly about the trip log capabilities of the Zumo. To review Tracks are what you actually did and routes are what you plan to do. The routes are what is/are preloaded into the Zumo by using Mapsource or by direct input through the Zumo “Where to†interface. If you are good and have the perfect plan your routes will be the same as your tracks.

This is how adept I am. Here, I am diverting around a closed gate at Huntington Lake in California. This is why I like tracks so I can figure out or remind myself what I really did.

med_gallery_2144_2004_567791.jpg

I have found the tracks very useful as rarely do all my routes actually pan out as I had planned. Stuff happens! Plus they are great for reconstructing your trips/reports and to pinpoint exactly where took that photo (V4 Rosso pointed that out earlier).

The Zumo track log feature is fully automatic and you do not need to do anything to activate it. Please be aware, this includes when you are playing around with it in the garage or in a restaurant modifying/rescuing your trip. Every time, you turn the unit on the tracks are building and this screwing around does add a bit of clutter when you download the tracks later.

There are two type of logs/tracks stored on the Zumo. They are the active trip log and archive logs. First the active log:

The active log on the Zumo stores a couple of days of riding or many moments of fooling with the buttons. This log is what is automatically downloaded to Mapsource once you “Receive from Device†or link to the Zumo via USB. Track logs are loaded into the Track tab in Mapsource. The tracks are divided into segments which may include trips from hundreds of miles to a few feet (you turn on the Zumo to locate a beverage establishment while you walk around your hotel/dump room).

Here is a shot of my track logs from my recent Southern Sierra trip. All the tracks are in the left pane and my favorite mountain portion is highlighted on the right.

2269096330099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

This is my favorite portion when I am on VFR skis. Sure! I like Mammoth and the Sierras and got their on Zumo power too. :thumbsup:

2170853710099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

This unrelated screen shot shows my active trip log (as of today) is about 16% full. The active log holds about 10,000 points of track information and contains many different segments of the same trip.

2200244910099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

This is where I also clear my active log and where you save segments of your trip log on the SD card as a route.

There are two things you can only do with the active log and NOT with the archive logs.

1. From the Zumo itself - Save a segment of a trip log as a route on a SD card.

2. Display all your tracks on the Zumo itself.

Before every trip, I clear the active log after I have dowloaded relevant portions to MapSource. That way I can assure myself I can do the two things above on the Zumo from the start of the trip if needed. You may want a log segment saved as a route because it was great and you did not have it on your original route or you want to pass it on to a fellow Zumo user. I also clear the Odometer reading.

2232509710099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Odometer and Trip data resets

2918061930099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

To Review what you can show on the Zumo itself:

Show the trip log or make it visible on the Zumo. Maybe you want to retrace it.

2186615600099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Actual track

2238668840099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

More on Trip Logs and Archive files :unsure:

Edited by BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

Archiving trip logs and displaying logs <_<

About the second day on the road the Zumo starts archiving the trip log. The active log always contains the most recent tracks and the archive files are stuffed into a directory on the Zumo automatically.

Warning if you have not saved that trip segment that you adored to a route by the time the archiving starts you will have to wait till you get back home unless you have a trunk for your PC.

I do ---- but I have the refrigerator in there right now.

2283539560099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Also remember, you can not show any of the tracks that are on the archive files on your Zumo just the active log tracks.

As an example on my April trip to Southern Sierras of 1,350 miles, I had 2 archive files plus the active log for 4 big days of riding (for me). The archive files are called 1.gpx, 2.gpx and so on. They are located on the Zumo itself in the Garmin directory then GPX and finally the Archive sub dir.

One of the bugs in the Zumo software that version 3.3 corrected was that some of the segments in the track log were missing. I lost about 150 miles out of my 1,350 trip for example. Not a problem any more though with version 3.3. Again well done to Garmin, they have really stepped up to improve this unit.

Note - both of my Sierra Trips are on advrider.com (one VFR and one Wing ride). My AZ trip is there too. Both of these VFR rides prompted (see recalc thread soon ha ha) me to get a GPS.

I shot this picture just as we missed our turn out of Sierraville to 89. Was that a right Jill? You had to be there I guess.

med_gallery_2144_2004_333759.jpg

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217076

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....hlight=hannagan

Typically the archive files contain up to 10,000 track points and are about 1,000kb in size. The Zumo can hold about 20 archive files. So ……..that means at least 3 weeks maybe a month or about two fortnights on the road before you max out the archive and active file storage capacity. That is provided you cleared your logs first before the trip started.

As a side note, unlike some other units the number of log points and for that matter how the segments are determined is entirely driven by the Garmin algorithm. Again this is a completely hands off function – the secret sauce again. Obviously if you turn off your Zumo a segment will end but it may also if you park alongside the road and leave the unit on battery.

Never mind really as you can combine various segments in MapSource later if you like. In fact by simply copying the track files from on archive file to a master trip file you can combine all of the active and archive tracks on one MapSource file.

I recommend at that point you delete all the 'crap' tracks like when you put your Zumo in your pocket while you moved into the woods for some privacy to save a tree or some endangered species of CA rat. Do you really need the track for this?

2753130830099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Here are the individual track points from a segment. All kinds of info here: Time; leg length, time, speed and course; as well as position for each point in the segment. There is also meta data on each segment.

2462635900099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Elevation Profiles are available too.

2160838950099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

When you link with MapSource and use the “Receive from Unit†only the active logs are downloaded into MapSource. Now that you know where the archive logs are you can retrieve them manually. Keep in mind unlike the active log there are no waypoints or routes available on these archive files just tracks.

BTW - If you look carefully, the Zumo active log is contained in the Current.GPX file in the GPX directory on the Garmin Unit – not the SD card. The Current file contains a great deal more as well including favorites, routes etc. These files are also downloaded with you link up using the Mapsource link buttons. FYI, the other GPX file is the Temp.GPX which contains the active route on the Zumo. But don’t fool with either GPX file on the Zumo itself as you download the info automatically to MapSource when you use the MapSource link buttons. You would hate to screw up all your Favorites!

The actual track logs from both the active and archive files have identical information. You can display them in Mapsource.

You can see each log point on this file. When you start turning, Zumo starts adding more points to pin down your exact location.

2631865810099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Note that a track may be rougher looking than a route as each point is connected by a line which may look like you are missing a few apexes or no rhythm.

Then you can roll the tracks and/or routes into Google Earth

2078455350099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

med_gallery_2144_2760_38056.jpg

For more info - there are "How to Guides" on the Zumo forum. Although I am not sure this bit is in there.

http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/viewtopic.p...asc&start=0

Next Up the "Recalculating the Route"

As a warning: make sure you secure the Zumo in it's mount using the small screw, otherwise this can happen:

simg1505te9.jpg

Zumo fell out of it's mount and was hit by a car.

Standard security screw. (click for larger image)

MB-Mount-2ca.jpg

Custom made screw Firstimpression-2.jpg

The SPIII mount comes standard with a screw similar to the custom made screws :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Recalculating the Route

As I mentioned in my earlier posts when the Zumo was released there were many GPS purists/experienced, who were concerned that with the Zumo, you could not turn off/modify the automated features. The primary concern was with the automatic recalculation of routes when you strayed off course.

Specifically they found the voice prompts were annoying and that your whole route would be changed with the recalculation.

My experience with whole recalculation process in general has been that the Zumo directs you back to the original route and the next via point but others have complained that the whole route is dumped.

Here I am off route and being directed back to the route route/waypoint.

2255223110099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I suspect the whole route would blow up eventually, if you kept ignoring the prompts and headed off stubbornly to find a new life. But there must be a thousand different permutations of how you could screw up the route and ways the Zumo could respond. I have only tested the 781 but can not wait to test the 1,000. :wheel:

Now some more background. What the Recalculation feature does ...............when you stray off course the Zumo immediately starts figuring a way to get you back on the route. This happens very quickly. There are several likely scenarios here:

1. You screwed up, are hopelessly lost and you welcome Jill’s assistance.

2. You deliberately took a detour (gas, break, lunch, view etc) but welcome the assistance to get back on route as you are in an unfamiliar place on tour. After all you would never stop to ask – right!

3. And a third situation when you get off the route intentionally, know where you are and start feeling like ….Well being nagged for instance. :offtopic: Apparently in some males this initiates an irritating auto response mechanism that some females consider unpleasant if not rude. Frustration builds. And you want to shut the bi……… up.

First off, for the record, I never personally exhibit the immature and definitely short sighted attributes outlined above, but I have heard of guys who are like that but they mostly ride ……………. :rolleyes:

Well Zumo handled all three scenarios quite well even before the latest firmware update (3.3). In the first two scenarios, the Zumo goes with the flow. In the third, the Zumo operator can just touch STOP on the main screen and Jill shuts up. The GPS is still working and you still know where you are but no route is programmed.

2520933410099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I have used STOP a few times in lieu of shouting “SHUT UPâ€.

However, when you do that your route is not to be found on the screen – so it looks like this.

2763077690099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

If you wanted your route back it was easy to load it again.

If first prompts you to whether you want to go back to the beginning of the route. The answer is up to you. But I would hate to start all over again.

2383007560099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

You may see something like this when you are on route.

Beginning selected route

2776047130099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Not good enough so you need more features then? Here is what ver 3.3 did for us.

The new software update now gives you more flexibility with regard to the recalculation feature.

The Auto feature works pretty much the way the Zumo worked before and is the default setup

2538176730099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Now besides the Auto function they have added two more options: Prompted and Off

2784104030099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Here I have selected the Prompted recalculation mode. That is each time I stray off course it/she asks me if I want help.

2617159250099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

With the Prompted selection when you stray off route you get this.

2684006890099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

If you say Yes, Jill starts talking. If you select NO - silence. If only that would work in other parts of your life.

Here is what it looks like when you touch NO. Note you can see your route and where you are in relation to it.

2754429460099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

When you turn the recalculation OFF, Jill shuts up but you can see the route on the screen (might have to change scale though) but Jill pipes up again when you return to your route for the next planned turn.

The Recalculation features and capabilities appear to be robust at this time. After all that for the moment, I think I will leave the default setup. :blink:

• Member Contributer

This always happens to me... :unsure:

Also ordered:

Ram Mount (tank)

Long/Medium Ram Arms

Powerlet Steering Head Kit

Powerlet Powermate Kit (Power Tank Bag)

Monster Remote (iPod)

Held Fresh Gloves

Replacement X11 Dark Smoke Shield

Sidi Coolmax Socks smile.gif

Joe Rocket Honda Interceptor Textile Jacket

Joe Rocket Alter Ego Pants

Need:

Switched Terminal Block Setup

I am going to power my zumo from my powerlet until I get a good solution for this problem.

It's like christmas!!!

• Member Contributer
For the moment on the VFR, I use an IMC headset which plugs into the 3.5 mm Zumo output just fine. "No cell transmit though......"

Hey BonusVFR go see what you made me do :joystick: My zumo now works fine with my bluetooth cell phone.

*Linkey*

I don't need to spend any more money!

Yours looks like an economical solution that works. Gets me to thinking!!!

I am still deciding what I am going to do on the VFR with the cell transmit.

Do something piecemeal and inexpensively or spend big $$$ and look at the big picture and integrate all the toys, RD, bike to bike radio, and Zumo into one package. I have the integration capability on the Wing but I also had a lot to start with.

Now for my pet MC peeve. :pissed: Of course as those of you have experimented know, none of the various speaker, amps, intercoms or for that matter anything are standardized so one set of speakers/mic/acc cords are not likely to work with another system. They don't even work if you are talking about plugging into a standarized 5 pin intercom/audio jack like on the Goldwing. I don't think there is lower headset cord that connects to the Wing audio, that will work with another manufacturers headset.

And another thing, if you do something practical like you did and then add another device, you are back to the drawing board.

I spent weeks investigating wiring up my FRS/GMRS radios to both of my bikes and I swear there is not a single radio with the same plug. 3.5mm, 2.5, 2.5 motorola, dual plug and on and on!

This is very frustrating and I am starting to get upset - have to ride now! <_<

May have to start another Tales of the ........... thread.

• Member Contributer

Posted here per Request

So I really like my Zumo 550 but there are no good in helmet mics. I looked everywhere and decided I was going to have to make one if I really wanted it. I bought an Autocom unit to have bike to bike communication with friends but I changed my mind about using it when no one else bought one, also the ear pieces we not loud enough and hurt my ears. I did however use it with my cell phone a few times before I pulled it off the bike and found the mic was a really nice noise canceling mic that did not pick up road noise even at 90mph.

This is the Autocom Universal (Type A) Headset It was the base for my project. $75.00 direct from Autocom

Headsets-Horizontal-2006.gif

First I took a mono audio wire [Radio Shack Part# 420-2434 $3.99] its about 3 feet long. I cut the ends off separated the 2 wires on either end and attached the male plug I removed from the Autocom unit to the wire. Pos.+ on the inside shielded wire and the ground.- on the outside then after a little soldering and a wrap of electrical tap on each I had this [will use shrink tubing for a nice finish]

HS009.jpg

Now to the 3/32" mic jack for the zumo 550. I found it at Radio Shack for $3.99 Part # 274-298 Note: this is a stereo version of the jack but it is ok.

First solder the ground [outside wire] to the base as clean as you can so the hard boot will fit over when your done.

HS005.jpg

Then solder the pos.+ [inside wire] to both of the open connections on the top of the stereo plug [making it a mono plug ]

HS004.jpg

When your done trim off anything sticking out so the housing fits.

HS001.jpg

Close the housing and slide on the lock ring for the housing [its a small black o-ring that comes with the jack]

HS007.jpg

Now I have my cable to hook my mic to my Zumo

HS010.jpg

Here it is hooked to the mic

HS002.jpg

This is my cable hooked to the zumo bike mount

HS011.jpg

Here is the mic in my flip face helmet

HS015.jpg

Female 2 pin connector out of helmet

HS014.jpg

And last my in ear plugs with in line volume control from radio shack

HS013.jpg

HS012.jpg

All said and done total price was under $85.00 including the total cost of buying the [universal (Type A) Headset

Universal Headset for use with all style helmets (full-face, open-face flip-front and half).

Part Number: 1153] and the other small part.

I NOW HAVE A HIGH QUALITY MIC FOR MY ZUMO 550 I WOULD HAVE GLADLY PAID MORE FOR IF I COULD FIND IT.

Also BonusVFR THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT SHOWING UP WITH YOUR NEW FARKLED TOYS AND GETTING ME ALL EXCITED!!! THANKS MAN ITS THE BEST

• Member Contributer

Well after reading the earbud mods described above (thanks Silver) I decided on a tunes test with my current VFR setup.

Another great ride day in San Diego :thumbsup: - a few CRs out after breakfast including a 1098.

2491828400099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I parked to the side and you can just make out the Zumo.

2682485020099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

First here is a shot of my preferred mount setup. Center RAM ball with med arm. I have a mini sized tank bag in this shot. And sorry about the tank bag strap – but you get the idea.

2492044960099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

This is about how it would look from the cockpit – the angle I mean. I don’t have telephoto eyes any more though.

2765263000099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I tried my IMC headset with earplugs and my MP3 earbuds.

I have MP3 earbuds plugged in here.

med_gallery_2144_2760_910543.jpg

Note - keep the RAM lock/adjuster on the left side for emergency tightening (real important if you have a HD).

Heretofore with the VFR, I have focused primarily on the quality of the Navigation prompts. This time I tested the Zumo/headset MP3 capabilities.

I picked the most demanding tracks (highs, lows, whispers, booming male/female voice and sound tracks) I have. The songs are from the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack.

My IMC headset with earplugs did not cut it. However, this set is designed primarily to support my FRS/GMRS radio system. I did not adjust/move my speakers in my Arai Corsair. I just did not have enough vol with the earplugs in to pick up the whispers/soft voices on the track. The earbuds worked great but I am worried about comfort when I ride for the full day.

The bottom line – the search is on for my VFR speaker/earbud system. The Wing's Zumo tunes are fantastic but I do not ride with earplugs on the big guy, have a separate amp, and the speakers are high quality and better placed.

Any recommendations? I am trying to get feedback from Edsets users but may opt for comfortable earbuds as an interim solution.

Edited by BonusVFR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Local routes update

Of late I have been using my Zumo even on local routes that I know well. For some reason I have been meeting up with other riders for breakfast etc, miles away from my home.

2847931040099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Essentially I have been plugging in the destination town direct on the Zumo and getting a rough ETA so that I know if I have to add/reduce speed to make it on time. Very Handy!

ETA only good if you are on route

2848574570099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

However if you have the Recalcualtion off (which is my default position near home) and you do not follow the recommended route your ETA goes to hell quickly and can be very misleading.

It is set on Auto here but when local I select OFF.

This is what the route looks like when you are doing your own thing and not recalculating.

2754429460099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Tip of the day - when you are on the road you want, just touch Detour to got an updated route and accurate ETA to your destination.

And then :rolleyes: because you are probably running late. <_<

Stop and Detour Navigation functions.

Edited by BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

After reading many threads, I opted for these JVC earbuds till I get a permanent solution to getting the sound from my Zumo on the VFR.

00.JPG

They are inexpensive and comfortable. We will see if I can handle them for a full day on the road. As regards Music quality that remains to be seen.

Embarking on another CA tour and test of the Zumo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

What happens when your actual track is better than the planned route and you want a better route for the future. You can convert the track to a route.

There are two ways to do this:

1. Convert segments of your active log into a route and save on the Zumo or the SD card.

2. Later when you download all the archive and active logs into mapsource, you can then upload relevant tracks back to the Zumo for conversion.

Here is a famous road bike route in CA - RT 36. :thumbsup: I downloaded all the tracks including RT36 from my 2,500/1400 on VFR mile CA trip to Mapsource. Copied the RT36 segment of the track to a clean Mapsource file. I could have changed the name of the May28 track too - but it was my birthday.

2167061160099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Then I saved the RT 36 GPX file on either the SD card or the Zumo in the Garmin/GPX directory. When you boot up the Zumo the new data will be recognized for import or you could wait and import later using the import data function.

2312307980099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The other tracks here were from a set of tracks off a generic 276 type Garmin I got off the web.

The Zumo auto converts the track to a route - Then you take a look at/check your new route - complete with voice prompts/directions/mileage etc.

2628218000099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

California has great roads! Come on over, visit and don’t pay any state taxes!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

This thread got me. The content is amazingly helpful. :thumbsup:

PCNation now has one less Zumo to sell. smile.gif

• Member Contributer
This thread got me. The content is amazingly helpful. :thumbsup:

PCNation now has one less Zumo to sell. smile.gif

Thanks - plan on a "Lessons Learned update" from my recent CA tour.

• Member Contributer

Here are a few observations and Zumo lessons learned from my recent VFR California tour

The bottom line is - it is a must on tour for me ........ranked right there with heated grips, electric vest, a Sargent and good tires. :thumbsup: :blink:

Mounting Considerations:

I started out using the RAM med arm on the center tank RAM mount. You can see the Zumo sticking out. It is quite protected in there and is less susceptible to damage.

med_gallery_2144_2760_205377.jpg

I switched to the long arm when my RAM mounted camera crapped out. After two days of using the long arm, I find that I prefer that setup with my touring tankbag. It provides slightly better screen visibility and allows better access to my stem mounted Powerlet power plug. When using a big tank bag, you can place it more perpendicular to your line of sight which also helps reading the display. I am 6ft short.

Long Arm – note that your view of the VFR gauges is not blocked.

med_gallery_2144_2760_467586.jpg

med_gallery_2144_2760_323101.jpg

The medium arm works well for the smaller tank bags, which I run with when not on tour.

There are some very clean looking RAM compatible options out there including this rig which I saw on the weekend on a group of ST1300s. :rolleyes: This part bolts on the brake reservoir and replaces the stock cover and looks like it works on all modern Hondas.

st1300rc.jpg

I am considering this RAM mounting option, not for my Zumo but for future electronic warfare devices

Cyclegadgets.com and RAM itself have derivatives of the same basic replacement reservoir plate.

I still like the switched power to the Zumo through the Bluesea fuse box that I previously described.

2303587280099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I may alter how my Garmin power cord is plumbed. The original install gave me the option of rigging on the center tank mount or the left grip, which is capability I will not use now.

med_gallery_2144_2760_263319.jpg

Too bad nobody makes a shelf/dash rig like this home made contraption on my tour compatriots RT 1100.

2163775240099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

My install on that other bike.

2283539560099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

More on routing, day to day use and getting the sounds out.

Edited by BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

I'll second every good thing about the Zumo.

I'll add that I had powerlet fashion a steering stem cord for the zumo and the sirius. Simplifies wiring.

I'm also trying Ram's triple ball mount -- it allows me to mount the zumo and the sirius radio off the gas tank ball mount.

I only have two short stems, so I used a medium off the gas tank ball mount, and then the two short stems for the gadgets.

Seems to have worked ok on my recent 4 day/2600 mile tour. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I'll add that I had powerlet fashion a steering stem cord for the zumo and the sirius. Simplifies wiring.

I'm also trying Ram's triple ball mount -- it allows me to mount the zumo and the sirius radio off the gas tank ball mount.

I only have two short stems, so I used a medium off the gas tank ball mount, and then the two short stems for the gadgets.

This thing?

RAM-TRIPLE_thumb.gif

This part bolts on the brake reservoir and replaces the stock cover and looks like it works on all modern Hondas.

I am considering this RAM mounting option, not for my Zumo but for future electronic warfare devices

I am looking for another RAM mount as it would be nice to be able to use both my camera and Streetpilot at the same time. Not sure though if this brake reservoir ball mount has enough clearence to the windscreen when the bars are at full lock :goofy:

• Member Contributer

This thing?

RAM-TRIPLE_thumb.gif

That's the one! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
This part bolts on the brake reservoir and replaces the stock cover and looks like it works on all modern Hondas.

I am looking for another RAM mount as it would be nice to be able to use both my camera and Streetpilot at the same time. Not sure though if this brake reservoir ball mount has enough clearence to the windscreen when the bars are at full lock :goofy:

The RAM mount that is packaged with the Zumo works well on the left grip. Works great for a camera as long as you have a Long Arm.

Here is another shot of a camera (now defunct) with long arm on left grip and the Zumo on center ball with med arm.

med_gallery_2144_2760_98889.jpg

Way too much distortion on VFR screen to shoot thru. Have to use a long arm on a camera from left grip.

2491239430099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I also tried using the two Ball mount on the left grip which I use on the other bike.

RAM-HB2_thumb.jpg

Two Ram Ball on left grip of my other bike - what is it called but it does have a SSSA? Both the camera and Zumo are on the left grip RAM two ball mount.

2017818780099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Too bad that there is not enough clearance with the VFR tank for the two ball mount - so that is out as an option!

You could use another mount on the right grip but it had best be used with gear that does not need much handholding so to speak! Maybe a RD?

Brake reservoir plate, I think would work/clear if you use/reverse it so the Ball Mount is on the right side of the reservoir.

st1300rc.jpg

I like Sport Riders idea of three balls (how could you not like three balls). :thumbsup: However Cyclegadgets warns that the load may be too great for MC use. :goofy: <_<

SR do you have a picture??

Edited by BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

I think they mean the three ball extended and then weighted. This setup uses a short arm off the gas tank so there isn't much extension loading. I used a short arm for the zumo and a medium arm for the satellite radio (I didn't have 3 short arms). The power comes from a custom Jastek cord to a steering stem outlet. Custom satellite radio rain cover by Ziplock. wink.gif

This setup held for my recent 4 day 2600 mile loop. I can move the zumo or sirius back to the resevoir mount if need be. Ride safe. :goofy:

gallery_2925_321_156035.jpg

100_2806.jpg

gallery_2925_321_770278.jpg

100_2804.jpg

gallery_2925_321_795819.jpg

100_2805.jpg

• Member Contributer

Today I rode with a guy who just put in the Brake RAM mod on his ST1300. This RAM attachment point looks pretty good and much cleaner than the handlebar grip add on that I have on the VFR and Wing.

Here is the Motorcycle Larry Brake Reservoir - comes in Model T black and Silver.

2397579050099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Sport Riders Triple RAM Ball kind of appeals to me as well. But I have to get another gizmo first.

After the debacle I had with my JVC earbuds on my California tour, I had to do something different to optimize the sound on my VFR. I tested out some Zumo sound mods today.

Here is my summary of earbud experience from my CA tour report .........

"....My JVC earbuds did not cut it. Forget fidelity, my hearing is shot anyway. The darn things kept getting pulled out when the cord got caught on my tank bag. Makes me appreciate the coiled cord and speakers/helmet speakers on my Wing. When I returned, I took my speakers out of my Arai and positioned them closer to my ears. Sound is now restored to both ears. Looking at other options though."

But I will probably not use my Arai Corsair on tour anymore.

00.JPG

For me, earbuds are just uncomfortable and are prone to being pulled out and are hard to put back in without taking off the helmet and starting from scratch.

So, I purchased an extender cord with 3.5mm stereo plug in for my Airrider Wing headset intercom rig. They are installed in my flip up HJC which is now my preferred tour helmet as well. Plus I can still use this helmet with my Wing anytime.

Here is a shot.

2898668460099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The coiled cord plugs into the headset/helmet (top of photo) and the 3.5 mm extension on the left plugs into the Zumo MC mount and to the end of the coiled cord. This end normally would plug into the Wings Intercom hookup. The coiled cord is a must, which you do not appreciate till you do not have it.

Unlike the Edset headset with Zumo attachment I talked about in a previous thread, my new VFR airrider addon does not allow me to talk on the Cell through my mic. If I bought a headset today I would buy the Edset and the Zumo attachment so that I could use the helmet/headset on the Wing and the VFR.

Too bad there is no standard so that one headset will work with another guys attachments. :pissed:

zumocable_1.jpg

The speakers in my HJC are right next/flush to my ears. I have to turn the Zumo volume down when I ride without earplugs. Noise level is not too bad now that I have replaced a missing bolt for the visor on one side.

With high quality foam earplugs the sound level is adequate but needs a jolt to be first rate, especially at warp transit speeds. I purchased some different earplugs which are supposed to cut wind noise but not attenuate voice. Sure?! :unsure: I may have to get a powerbooster of some sort, but I will most likely get one once I get my RD.

• Member Contributer

Ok, I just jumped back into Mapsource to lay out some routes for my upcoming swing to Colorado. So here are some lessons learned from my recent CA tour where both my buddy and I had Zumos.

2899201260099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Before a trip I like to…………………..

First off - I like to clear out my old routes and favorites/waypoints files from previous tours. It just makes it cleaner to find the relevant destinations when you are on tour. I have not had a memory (Zumo that is) issue yet but clutter is something I do not want on my Zumo.

My garage is another matter. <_<

Get rid of old and non relevant routes etc – you always have them and the old tour track files on Mapsource if you want to use them again.

2392699650099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I also like to clear out my screen shot and archive gpx directories, so I do not have to sort out what was from the previous tour when I download stuff from a tour.

Remember, when you construct routes with Mapsource and the Zumo use shaping points so that you can eliminate unnecessary voice directions and flags on your Zumo. I mostly let the computer pick the route and then correct using shaping points.

You can tell a proper Shaping Point because it has in the Type field it is call a "Map Intersection" and in the "Comments field" the both roads are labeled ie "VFR rd and Wing way".

2097044180099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

One from my next tour on the way to CO - getting hot in AZ.

2698269510099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Then you upload your routes and waypoints. Waypoints turn into favorites on the Zumo. It is important to remember that all waypoints do not have to be in your routes. You do not want to download tracks and if it comes up you probably did not have a clean Mapsource file when you started building your trip.

2524362430099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

You could dowload tracks from somebody else to turn then into a route on your Zumo.

Having extra waypoints is real handy on tour if you want a detour or look at a detour option quickly. You can also get quick mileage checks/options if you want to alter your route.

I build in extra waypoints (that are not in my routes) that I may want to visit if it suits me. If you get tired you can also use the favorites to get direct routes to alternative destinations

You should get a "New data found would you like to manage this data now" alert. And then.................

Your Data successfully imported

2788114820099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

In a perfect world :huh: , you would want to expand the scale on your Mapsource and even the Zumo screen to really check out your route. You could get one of these perhaps. But frankly I do not spend a lot of time blowing things up (I used to do that a long time ago). I just go with the flow.

2981984670099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Next on the road.

• Member Contributer

On the Road Utility

Many of my previous tours had been plagued by Navigation Errors. Indeed this prompted the use of FRS/GMRS radios and sporadic map stops to resolve gentlemanly and respectful disputes about which way to go. And what the Heck/F…… are you doing???

Here we are missing a turn in the Sierras in 2006………..

That should be a right!

med_gallery_2144_2004_333759.jpg

Occasionally, I even had to engage the gear whine warp drive motors to chase down my fellow rider, whom I let with regret, take the lead.

This was my first tour where both my riding buddy and I had GPS units – Zumos! What could go wrong? More on this later in this interminable voyage.

As the keeper of the Navigation trust (easier to get blamed that way) and a software guy, my charter was to develop routes in Mapsource.

The job was done and I emailed the routes to my colleague. Of course, I followed my maxim of one route for each day. Following the protocol in the post above, one can easily upload the routes to your Zumo.

It is not critical that the routes be perfect. For example don’t spend too much time on the last mile i.e. for example if you do not where you are bedding for the night. Just crank something in.

Here is an example, I used Curry Village as my stop point for my swing into Yosemite Valley even though Lower Pines Campground was my final destination.

Curry Village is straight down.

med_gallery_2144_2004_422957.jpg

I did not know the exact camping site, so I did not try to locate it on Mapsource. Later I was able to use the Zumo to mark the exact spot (see "Lower Pines Camp" marker in Mapsource below) as a waypoint/favorite to be used in future routes. Indeed spots you mark by pressing the Motorcycle Icon on the front screen load into your Zumo favorites file and will be downloaded when you finally hook up the Zumo to Mapsource at tour’s end. You can also see my tracks to the site.

2716716350099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Right there.

2425499790099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

After two days of rest I just loaded the next days route into the Zumo and proceeded to the start point. If I had been unfamiliar with the area, I could have just opted for this………….

Navigate back to start of route

2009247570099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

As a matter of routine, I set my Zumo Recalculation Mode to Off, except in cites/dense urban areas where I set the mode to Auto.

Auto recalculate modes

2538176730099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

This minimizes button pushes when lane splitting in San Francisco and disturbs one less when you jump off the road to look at something like this and know perfectly well where you are.

med_gallery_2144_2004_283427.jpg

If you do get off route and need help you can easily switch back to "Auto" or "Prompted" Recalculation or better yet just hit “Detour” to get direction back to your route.

This also works when the road is chained off.

med_gallery_2144_2004_567791.jpg

Should you both be in the Same Mode?