Tales Of Zumo

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

This is what it looks like when you are following tracks. This is on a road which does not exist yet in Mapsource/Zumo. Been over it quite a bit as you can see. Following tracks works to reverse a route but be careful as you might find yourself in the wrong side of the road if you follow exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2792736810099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Tracks should be visible for the last two days of riding. You can convert them to routes but they will be going the other way if you are trying to reverse the route.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what it looks like when you are following tracks. This is on a road which does not exist yet in Mapsource/Zumo. Been over it quite a bit as you can see. Following tracks works to reverse a route but be careful as you might find yourself in the wrong side of the road if you follow exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracks should be visible for the last two days of riding. You can convert them to routes but they will be going the other way if you are trying to reverse the route.

Ok now how do you view the tracks in the Zumo?

• Member Contributer

Tools - Map - Triplog - visible

2186615600099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Tracks and routes downloaded to Mapsource in Yosemite last year

2716716350099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Just don't ask me what to do if this comes in????????? Not in manual.

2880173620099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Just don't ask me what to do if this comes in????????? Not in manual.

2880173620099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

My answer to the wife...

Sorry honey, I'm still learning my way with this gizmo... I can't make it work with my cellphone...

lol :biggrin:

I'll keep posting my findings as I continue to play with this toy. I love it.

I keep comparing it to my old Magellan so here it goes...

POIs: I learned how to load several categories of custom POIs. Yeah!!!

But now I find out that in the zumo, you either have all POIs on the display or none.

In the Magellan, you can customize which POI icons you want to see on display.

A good example where this makes a difference...

While riding, the least you have to look at the GPS the better.

I used to just give it a glance to see if there were any red light cams coming up on my road.

With the Magellan, I could do this by just selecting red light cams POIs to display.

The screen would be clean of other icons.

With the zumo, I guess you would need to take a longer look to find the red cams among the sea of POI icons.

One advantage on the zumo is that you can set proximity alerts. But the prox. alert gives you a visual alert on the

screen and a voice alert. The voice alert will only work if you have a hearing device (earphones or bt headset).

Auto shut off: My old magellan, when running on batteries, would shut off after 15 minutes of no movement/activity.

I left the zumo on for over an hour and it was still on. I'm yet to find a setting for this. For now, I assume it does not exist.

MP3s: Keep your MP3s in the SD card. Create subfolders so not all files are on the same directory.

Apparently, that helps with performance of the Z.

BTW, the Z comes preloaded with some MP3s. Horrible songs.

I found this the hard way... So there I was on my test ride of the Z. Listening to the MP3s I preloaded to the SD card.

Then, a song ended, and a totally weird song started. wtf? I don't have that kind of music!

abort abort. That's when I realized, I needed a quick way to switch from map to mp3 screen.

anyway, I had to navigate the menus while riding to skip this horrible song. This happened about 3 times.

Well, it turns out the Z apparently was mixing the files from the SD card and the ones preloaded.

I just DELETED all those preloaded MP3s. The Z now has 48 free megs.

Battery meter: If I unplug the Z from external power, then the battery meter shows up.

if I plug it to the ac outlet to charge the battery, the battery meter is gone.

:biggrin:

I want to be able to see the progress of the battery charging. How can I do that?

I went to the main screen where I can see the battery meter, plugged it to power source, battery meter gone.

Routes and Tracks: This might have been covered already.

I downloaded some Tracks from the internet. I wanted to make them into Routes.

You can't in mapsource. What you can do is open the track and start tracing a route following the track.

then you can delete the track and you end up with the route.

Unless your route takes you back to the starting point, make sure you have another route that takes you

back to the starting point. The Z does not have a built in "reverse route" button.

Guest candymanofca

Ok now how do you view the tracks in the Zumo?

Thanks for the very educational thread. I have just bid successfully on an eBay item. I shall receive it next week. We'll see how it works.

So, I had a nice 200 mile ride on sunday... with the Z of course.

Someone else in the group had a Z too and set the route.

I finally got to see how the logs work.

My goal was to grab the log of the trip and make it into a route which I later wanted to edit.

After the ride, I went to the logs in the Z,

selected the log I wanted to convert to route and done!

Then I hooked the Z to the laptop, opened mapsource, and uploaded the stuff from the Z.

First, I noticed that the upload just grabs all the stuff from the Z.

So the stuff I downloaded to the Z came back. :fing02:

Oh well... I deleted all the other stuff and finally had just that new route.

That is where I am.

I hope tonight I will be able to see how easy it is to modify this route.

I want to change a few things like start and end.

Also, I'd like to break this route into 2 routes.

So far, the Z rocks!

• Member Contributer

I just got back from my 4 week trip and I'd have to say.

Don't bother spending your money on a Zumo, or any other Garmin Product!!!

Mine failed on me. I tried everything.

-remove from the bike cradle.

-reset

-plug into the wall

-remove the battery

-reset while trying all of these things

The damn thing will not turn on.

So, I called Garmin. I sat on hold for over a half an hour wasting my cell time. When I told the first person what had happened, they said hold on one sec. Then they hung up on me.

I called back several hours later and only had to waste 10 minutes of my cell time on hold to get the response "yep it sounds broken, you'll have to send it in for repair/replacement."

Well fuck Garmin!!! I was in Indiana and had just learned to rely on the damn thing when it failed on me. Was I supposed to put my road trip on hold? Nope, I had to lug around a dead peice of gear because Garmin makes a shit product.

• Member Contributer
I just got back from my 4 week trip and I'd have to say.

Don't bother spending your money on a Zumo, or any other Garmin Product!!!

Mine failed on me. I tried everything.

-remove from the bike cradle.

-reset

-plug into the wall

-remove the battery

-reset while trying all of these things

The damn thing will not turn on.

So, I called Garmin. I sat on hold for over a half an hour wasting my cell time. When I told the first person what had happened, they said hold on one sec. Then they hung up on me.

I called back several hours later and only had to waste 10 minutes of my cell time on hold to get the response "yep it sounds broken, you'll have to send it in for repair/replacement."

Well XXXX Garmin!!! I was in Indiana and had just learned to rely on the damn thing when it failed on me. Was I supposed to put my road trip on hold? Nope, I had to lug around a dead peice of gear because Garmin makes a XXXX

product.

I know your feeling....my first one did the same thing (2nd trip I used it). Garmin told me to send it to them for repair / replacement until I told them I purchased it from Tiger GPS. They told me to call them back. They replaced it free, and said they had that problem with some units. Starting on two years with (knock on wood) no probs with the second unit...... :ohmy: I too was very frustrated at forking out that kind of money, then not getting longer life of the unit...I feel your pain.................... :unsure:

I "edited" your post......... :cool:

• Member Contributer
.......... They replaced it free, and said they had that problem with some units.

My exact point here. They know they have a quality issue on thier top of the line units and they still sell them as is? No no no. There is no excuse for that.

I finally got in touch with someone from Garmin, he seems nice, but I am screwed for my trip data. I have over 4,200 miles of trip on there from before the crash that I will never see again.

My once in a lifetime trip was supposed to have trip and route data to prove where I had been, maybe even go back to some of the best places. I should have bought a Tom Tom

.......... They replaced it free, and said they had that problem with some units.

My exact point here. They know they have a quality issue on thier top of the line units and they still sell them as is? No no no. There is no excuse for that.

I finally got in touch with someone from Garmin, he seems nice, but I am screwed for my trip data. I have over 4,200 miles of trip on there from before the crash that I will never see again.

My once in a lifetime trip was supposed to have trip and route data to prove where I had been, maybe even go back to some of the best places. I should have bought a Tom Tom

Oh no! :unsure: That sucks man... there's got to be some way they can pull your data?!? You just got out of college, can you look up one the computer gurus to help you out?

• Member Contributer

Surely, since the info is in your old unit, it can be retrieved......might ask Garmin............ :unsure:

My Zumo 550 failed on me last week, and I was not impressed as I'd forgotten to bring the allen wrench to reset the battery.

This afternoon I wrote an email to Garmin and am waiting their reply...

Chev - that sucks about yours failing - sounds like a lot worse than my situation.

ITs a great unit - but they need to figure out the no-start issue!!! :pissed:

My Zumo 550 failed on me last week, and I was not impressed as I'd forgotten to bring the allen wrench to reset the battery.

This afternoon I wrote an email to Garmin and am waiting their reply...

Chev - that sucks about yours failing - sounds like a lot worse than my situation.

ITs a great unit - but they need to figure out the no-start issue!!! :pissed:

Mmmm... Mine has been ok... for now.

I better add the allen wrench to my tank bag.

How do you do a hard reset on the unit? (too lazy to go look it up in the manual)

To reset the Z.

Soft reset: remove battery or pressing and holding the two hard buttons on the top left and bottom right.

No data is deleted in a soft reset.

Hard reset: First turn the unit OFF, then HOLD your thumb on the furthest bottom right hand corner of the screen, push as far into the corner as you can on the screen itself. While holding your thumb/finger on the screen press and hold the POWER ON button until you see the ZUMO splash screen, once the splash screen is up you can release the power, but continue to hold your thumb in the right corner of the screen for another 5 - 10 seconds, you should see a window that pops up and asks "Do you really want to erase all user data?", make sure to answer YES to this window