Tales Of Zumo

BonusVFR

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer
Could someone please verify the mount I need to get my Zumo mounted on my tank?

Do I need the RAM-B-238? Linky

Also, is the medium arm the 5.25' arm?

Thanks

You need the 231 for a 5/6th gen ............Cyclegadgets has them. But not sure for your bike ...........measure the bolt pattern width.

RAMB231Z.jpg

med_gallery_2144_2760_16329.jpg

The 5.25 is the longest arm and my ARM of choice for the Tank Mount...............especially if you have a tank bag!

• Member Contributer
If you buy the 550 and you should, don't do a me and cheap out on the 450, which on top of bluetooth does not come with all the car mounts a $120 package like the 550 does.

In the box you get the parts all the you need to connect it to your tank, other than some longer bolts

Even if you do not use the BT on the VFR (it is great to use even if you do not talk) the BT Zumo makes a great hands free device in the car ..........even if you plug it in to remote speakers.

• Member Contributer
If you buy the 550 and you should, don't do a me and cheap out on the 450, which on top of bluetooth does not come with all the car mounts a $120 package like the 550 does.

In the box you get the parts all the you need to connect it to your tank, other than some longer bolts

I've already found the pleasure in the handsfree bluetooth mount for car use. For some reason my 550 came with the brake clamp mount. Thanks for that part number. I ordered from Ram-Mounts.com that day.

You need the 231 for a 5/6th gen ............Cyclegadgets has them. But not sure for your bike ...........measure the bolt pattern width.

The 5.25 is the longest arm and my ARM of choice for the Tank Mount...............especially if you have a tank bag!

Thanks Bonus. Check my garage. My touring steed is a 6th gen. :biggrin: I might try and get this thing mounted on my 1KR, after...... I do a bunch of other stuff. When I do, I'll post up my fitment findings.

• 2 weeks later...

Sold. Thanks so much for this thread.

I ordered my 550 last night.

Going today to get the blue sea fuse box

My only question (might have been addressed before) is about BT earphones.

I have no intention to use the cell phone while riding. So no need for a mic.

All I want is a BT device to listen to music in stereo quality connected to the Zumo.

Suggestions?

• Member Contributer
Sold. Thanks so much for this thread.

I ordered my 550 last night.

Going today to get the blue sea fuse box

My only question (might have been addressed before) is about BT earphones.

I have no intention to use the cell phone while riding. So no need for a mic.

All I want is a BT device to listen to music in stereo quality connected to the Zumo.

Suggestions?

I have sort of "Back to the Future" cut on wireless stuff. Too many batteries already on tour! Cameras (on bars and separate), FRS radio, cell. Did I forget something.

Simple earbuds will get you started and damp road noise and Stereo too! I have a spare set I carry on the VFR/Wing if my speaker/headset rig fails etc. Not sure if they have a BT stereo that works with Zumo.

Plug Earbuds right into the MC mount. Plus you can hear if somebody tries to call you or left a message if you link your BT phone.

2512434450099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Another question.

I plan on doing the relay + fuse box and Zumo wired to the blue sea fuse box.

so, when I remove the key from the bike, there is no power going to the fuse box.

What happens to the zumo?

Does it switch to battery power and you have to manually turn it off?

Or does it shut off?

Is this something you can control in the zumo preferences?

I have read of people that will add the fuse box but wire the zumo to the battery.

I don't see why do that knowing the zumo has a battery.

• Member Contributer

When you have the Zumo hooked to a relay controlled fusebox, pulling/turning the key switchs off the VFR power to the Zumo. If you do nothing the Zumo shuts down in 30 seconds or you could opt to stay on Zumo battery power or shut it down immediately. A dialog box pops up automatically to give you the choice. Most of the time, I just shut the Zumo down and stick it in my pocket ..........unless I have a clear view of the bike. Sometimes if I am going to do some route fiddling at lunch I just let it run on Zumo battery till I figure my next move.

What ever the inline fuse specs that come with the Zumo power cord I stick in the Blue Sea fuse holder that leads to the Zumo. I use a 30amp inline fuse from the battery to the hot leads on the Bluesea.

What gauge..............this is a problem cause every time I touch wiring I have to completely retrain myself what bigger /smaller is etc. I will see if I can figure out what I used (big/thick though).

When you have the Zumo hooked to a relay controlled fusebox, pulling/turning the key switchs off the VFR power to the Zumo. If you do nothing the Zumo shuts down in 30 seconds or you could opt to stay on Zumo battery power or shut it down immediately. A dialog box pops up automatically to give you the choice. Most of the time, I just shut the Zumo down and stick it in my pocket ..........unless I have a clear view of the bike. Sometimes if I am going to do some route fiddling at lunch I just let it run on Zumo battery till I figure my next move.

What ever the inline fuse specs that come with the Zumo power cord I stick in the Blue Sea fuse holder that leads to the Zumo. I use a 30amp inline fuse from the battery to the hot leads on the Bluesea.

What gauge..............this is a problem cause every time I touch wiring I have to completely retrain myself what bigger /smaller is etc. I will see if I can figure out what I used (big/thick though).

Thanks. I did some research and 12 gauge seems what is used to hook up the fuse box.

• Member Contributer
Was at the Honda dealer recently and they had the Honda branded Zumo on display. It also has the remote control (speak & zoom).

Here is a crappy phone pic.

hondazumoem1.jpg

Ah, yes, the infamous "GathersM" Honda navigation system. Somebody managed to test the remote with a normal Zumo and said it worked, but they didn't say how it connected (through the mini-USB?), nor if it had its own part number...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
Was at the Honda dealer recently and they had the Honda branded Zumo on display. It also has the remote control (speak & zoom).

Here is a crappy phone pic.

hondazumoem1.jpg

Ah, yes, the infamous "GathersM" Honda navigation system. Somebody managed to test the remote with a normal Zumo and said it worked, but they didn't say how it connected (through the mini-USB?), nor if it had its own part number...

Ciao,

One thing that concerns me is the software updates to OEM Branded Zumos/Garmins whatever. The software changes/updates seem to take forever to get in the system. The Wing guys are constantly complaining about the Goldwing GPS unit (Garmin unit) and how long it takes to get the latest software (not maps but OS but map updates too). The BMW badged Zumo has the same problem too I think. You can use some of the changes but you risk screwing up the BMW features..........then what you have is a plain ZUmo.

Well, here is where I'm so far...

Zumo ordered on Thursday night.

Zumo arrives sat. morning.

Installed Blue Sea fuse box to bike

ran wires from zumo to blue sea fuse box

Registered zumo

Downloaded latest firmware 4.2 (the unit came with 3.7)

Installed latest firmware

Currently downloading free update to maps.

Maps took a while to download but they are done and installed.

Next was to install the mapsource software.

I got confused here...

once I started the mapsource software, it gave me a message about unlocking the maps.

wtf? (mental note... why oh why do I need to unlock maps?)

so I go thru the wizard to unlock the maps, I enter the 25 character code, it says they are unlocked and done.

I open mapsource and it tells me again to unlock maps.

:biggrin:

I repeat about 5 times, reboot PC, try and try again. the same.

I finally notice that the wizard has an option to grab unlock code from the zumo itself.

Let's try that... it worked!!!

Now, I have no clue on how to use mapsource. sad.gif

I opened a route file I got from a friend. It opens, but not sure how to modify it.

I was able to sync it to the zumo.

I started to create a new route and I think I got it after playing with the tool.

I need to go back to read more about all this.

but why does the route on the map change from yellow to purple?

what's the diff between a route and a track.

Do I need waypoints on my starting and ending points?

I'm sure I'll find my answers reading this thread or the manual.

ok, back to mapsource...

Edited by FrankoQ

• Member Contributer

Don't give up with Mapsource. It gets better once you get wet.

Make sure Mapsource is updated in addition to the maps. Best to use start and end points and then shaping points to force the rooute to the roads you want. Should be in this thread somwhere ...........if not zumoforums.com

Sorry for the minor hijack - but my Zumo 550 which is about 10 months old, is constantly not starting when I hit the power button.

Talked to Garmin awhile back and they sent me a replacement battery. Problem still here. It starts sometimes - and not - MOST times. I have to carry an allen wrench with me to remove the battery which most times resets the Zumo to fire up. I forgot the allen key this last week on a business trip and I was FURIOUS when it wouldn't power up.

I'm going to call Garmin tomorrow and pleasantly demand they take this $800 GPS back and send me a replacement...

• Member Contributer
Maps took a while to download but they are done and installed.

Next was to install the mapsource software.

I got confused here...

once I started the mapsource software, it gave me a message about unlocking the maps.

wtf? (mental note... why oh why do I need to unlock maps?)

so I go thru the wizard to unlock the maps, I enter the 25 character code, it says they are unlocked and done.

I open mapsource and it tells me again to unlock maps.

:biggrin:

I repeat about 5 times, reboot PC, try and try again. the same.

I finally notice that the wizard has an option to grab unlock code from the zumo itself.

Let's try that... it worked!!!

Now, I have no clue on how to use mapsource. sad.gif

I opened a route file I got from a friend. It opens, but not sure how to modify it.

I was able to sync it to the zumo.

I started to create a new route and I think I got it after playing with the tool.

I need to go back to read more about all this.

but why does the route on the map change from yellow to purple?

what's the diff between a route and a track.

Do I need waypoints on my starting and ending points?

I'm sure I'll find my answers reading this thread or the manual.

ok, back to mapsource...

I had this same problem. I called the very helpful folks at Garmin, who determined that the Mapsource program on the Zumo itself (not what was loaded onto the PC) had been corrupted. They sent me a copy of the Zumo Mapsource, which I re-installed following their directions. This cured my unlocking problem and all has been well ever since.

I take a minute to salute BonusVFR for this thread.

My only complaint is that there are not enough umbrella girl pics.

Back on topic...

I was able to load routes and created my own route too.

I was also able to load my list of red light cams and speed cams.

I'm going for a ride today and will see how this baby works. Wish me luck!

• Member Contributer
Talked to Garmin awhile back and they sent me a replacement battery. Problem still here. It starts sometimes - and not - MOST times. I have to carry an allen wrench with me to remove the battery which most times resets the Zumo to fire up. I forgot the allen key this last week on a business trip and I was FURIOUS when it wouldn't power up.

Hey Ken, from what I read in the Zumoforum there is a firmwear update to help correct this issue.

I went for a ride today mainly to test the zumo.

The setup: I had a route loaded, a list of Speed and redlight cam POIs, I had an SD card with music, and I had earphones.

A few observations...

- 1/4 mile before getting to a POI location, I got a warning voice and visual message.

- The route worked fine

- I think I got Gill upset, I took a little detour and her tone when saying "Recalculating" did not sound nice.

I also got some "turn LEFT" that sounded like she was really getting upset from me not doing what she wanted.

- Now I got to my destination and I want to go back. :rolleyes:

- how do I reverse my route to get back to my starting point?

- It was great to just have one device for GPS and music.

- I wish there was a quick way to switch from the map and the MP3 screen.

or better yet, have both on a split screen like the nav in my bimmer.

- I wish the headphone jack was on the actual unit and not in the cradle.

if I want to get off the bike and go somewhere and keep listening to music... I can't.

Also, if I remove the keys from the ignition, keep the zumo on battery, and try to listen

to music, I can't. The cradle has no power.

- All in all, I'm REALLY happy with this device.

Guest Rhodes

I'm a bit disappointed that the Zumo doesn't come with both US and European maps like the Nuvi -- is this just a space thing or what? Anyone know if I would have any problems if I got it with the European maps and went back to the states (other than the $100 map pack)?

PCNation has the 010-00567-00 listed for $300 less than the Garmin site, but I don't see the map pack.

• Member Contributer
I went for a ride today mainly to test the zumo.

The setup: I had a route loaded, a list of Speed and redlight cam POIs, I had an SD card with music, and I had earphones.

A few observations...

- 1/4 mile before getting to a POI location, I got a warning voice and visual message.

- The route worked fine

- I think I got Gill upset, I took a little detour and her tone when saying "Recalculating" did not sound nice.

I also got some "turn LEFT" that sounded like she was really getting upset from me not doing what she wanted.

- Now I got to my destination and I want to go back. :fing02:

- how do I reverse my route to get back to my starting point?

- It was great to just have one device for GPS and music.

- I wish there was a quick way to switch from the map and the MP3 screen.

or better yet, have both on a split screen like the nav in my bimmer.

- I wish the headphone jack was on the actual unit and not in the cradle.

if I want to get off the bike and go somewhere and keep listening to music... I can't.

Also, if I remove the keys from the ignition, keep the zumo on battery, and try to listen

to music, I can't. The cradle has no power.

- All in all, I'm REALLY happy with this device.

Glad you like the thread - fun getting it going and going and going!

You should post up how you the did the camera/speed thing - I just have the Honda dealers in my POI.

The bottom line is that there is no easy way to reverse a route - either on Mapsource or the Zumo. You could just follow your tracks back but no you have to fiddle quite a bit to reverse. Almost easier making a new route with the same waypoints/favorites. Most of the time I take a different way back so no big deal. If you just follow (not navigate) the original route back in reverse it can be entertaining as sometimes the Zumo gags and tries to turn you around. I think the problem is with freeways and alike where it could be problem reversing............................

Using the third button on the left you can switch betweeen screens.

No MP3 off the bike or without power. Just the way it is for now. At night sometimes I do use it to walk around to find places to eat and hydrate???. Once I get off the bike at days end I don't like to get back on till the next morning.

My first Sierra tour on Zumo power early last year. Replenishing fluids. On the right boy!

med_gallery_2144_2004_320767.jpg

• Member Contributer
I'm a bit disappointed that the Zumo doesn't come with both US and European maps like the Nuvi -- is this just a space thing or what? Anyone know if I would have any problems if I got it with the European maps and went back to the states (other than the $100 map pack)?

PCNation has the 010-00567-00 listed for $300 less than the Garmin site, but I don't see the map pack.

Lots of the off road types put the topo maps on a SD card. When I get my KLR?

Glad you like the thread - fun getting it going and going and going!

You should post up how you the did the camera/speed thing - I just have the Honda dealers in my POI.

I might just do a new thread on how to add custom POIs. There are a few threads about that already.

I'll check them to make sure I'm not repeating info.

The bottom line is that there is no easy way to reverse a route - either on Mapsource or the Zumo. You could just follow your tracks back but no you have to fiddle quite a bit to reverse. Almost easier making a new route with the same waypoints/favorites. Most of the time I take a different way back so no big deal. If you just follow (not navigate) the original route back in reverse it can be entertaining as sometimes the Zumo gags and tries to turn you around. I think the problem is with freeways and alike where it could be problem reversing............................

I found a thread in zumoforums.com about this.

In short, the options are:

- Like you said, try to fiddle the zumo to backtrack (this is a pain if you don't remember the route and requires a lot of stops)

- when you build a route, make sure you build a copy of that route and do a "reverse route" in mapsource.

make sure you review the reversed route to make sure it follows your original route.

You end up with 2 routes: one to go from A to B and one to go from B to A.

- Oh just click the "go home" button. This of course will likely take you on roads you don't want to take.

- just build a second route for the way back.

Using the third button on the left you can switch betweeen screens.

You are my hero. :fing02:

No MP3 off the bike or without power. Just the way it is for now. At night sometimes I do use it to walk around to find places to eat and hydrate???. Once I get off the bike at days end I don't like to get back on till the next morning.

I can live with that... I have no choice. hehe.